Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Kravitz Wants Favre

John Waylon

I kinda' expected it from a few average Colts fans, but not from a seasoned sportswriter.

Just a full disclosure: I was one of the people who said Painter should have started over Collins in the first place. Not necessarily because Curtis was a better QB for the Colts at the time (although you can make a good argument for it), but rather because it was going to be a project, no matter who you put in there.

I am now stating on the record: they need to stick with Collins.

There's an old adage in college football: "If you have two starting quarterbacks, then you really don't have any." I think that especially rings true here. You make a decision, and you live with it. Stop being so darn wishy-washy. The honest truth of it is, unless Manning miraculously comes back at 100% in the next few games, there is no Superbowl trophy for us this year. I personally would have rather spent the year developing our younger players (including Painter) and come back in a better position to win a championship next year. What the Colts have committed to, is developing a 38 yo quarterback who won't help us win a SB this year, and almost certainly won't be with the team next year (due to age and his huge 2nd year contract). But you make a decision and you live with it.

And no, I don't think Brett Favre is the answer, like Kravitz is advocating. That'll make things even worse than they are right now.

I don't want Favre. Favre doesn't want to come back to face all the questions about his poor behaviour with the Jets employee. He could face a suspension if he does come back.

I would stick with Collins for a few more games and if he doesn't improve then put in Painter. Our record will be so bad at that point it won't matter. We can then give Painter every opportunity to show if he deserves to be our backup or not.

This season is lost, face it. I am a diehard fan longer than most of you and I have just resolved myself to the fact that we are going to have an awful year and Peyton won't be back this year. If he is we will be so far out of the race it would be to only test performance.

Go Colts!!

We need a qb that can run like heck. It would solve two problems, our bad OL and poor running game as a result of our bad OL.

Poor running game? Have you been watching the games this season? Our running game is much better this year than it has been in quite a while. Both Addai and Carter are running great so far. I don't know what you're talking about

85% of Collins problem is immobility and an inability to escape the pressure

I disagree with that percentage ... IMO, Collins holds on to the ball way too long AND when he does have time he has been throwing behind the receivers! Both are sort of connected and neither have to do with immobility.

Fact is Collins retired for a reason - because he no longer had the skills to be an NFL level QB! Painter can do no worse than 0-2; give the kid a chance!

As long as they are holding out hope that Manning might be able to return this year then I have no problem sticking with Collins. Once the possibility of Manning making a return this season goes away then I agree to put Painter in the starting lineup just to give him some valuable in-game experience that he otherwise would never get. Then we could really see what he's made of and if there's any future for him here in any type of role.

As for Collins' mobility...no he's not a mobile QB but he did show much better pocket presence in the Browns game than the Texans game and was able to avoid pressure on a number of plays by stepping up in the pocket or away from the pressure. That said, on other plays he simply held the ball too long.

At this point does it really matter, we are not going to be a top 6 team in the AFC this season no matter whom is at QB, so lets just go with Collins till he breaks down then bring in Painter.

Exactly, I can't believe anybody could actually fool theirself into thinking a different QB is going to make a difference. Unless that different QB's name is Peyton Manning then this team is destined for 2 wins this yr. and im being generous.

Kravitz is, was, and always will be a complete *. He writes a sub-par column. Generally, my five year old daughter has a better perspective and thought process. * like Kravitz are what keeps the Star from becoming a top-tier newspaper.

Seriously, has he forgotten what Favre looked like last year? We have who we have....Favre will not be in the fold.

Kravitiz just all credibility. He traded it in for 1 pointless article. Someone should call him and tell him no one is talking about Brett Farve.

What a odd game. Good run defense, good running game but suspect pass defense and very little passing offense.

Im not going to pretend that was a lousy game all around because it was exciting till around 5 min left. The passing offense just needs to get in sync.

I'm all for bringing in another QB if the team feels it will make a difference.

I personally think Collins is as good (overall) as anyone available.

I don't think another QB (other than Brady) will make a difference.

Although another qb may be necessary before the end of the year if Collins doesn't get protection.

We have bigger problems here.

This year ALL positions BETTER be being evaluated.

If ONE player makes THAT big of a difference then things really do need to change.

This year really makes you wonder "what if" Peyton had a better OL, or "what if" he had a better defense?

It just doesn't seem possible that he affected this many parts of the team.

My heart and gut tells me coaching. I just don't think they are prepared.

But I have no real idea of what the overall problem is.

I kinda' expected it from a few average Colts fans, but not from a seasoned sportswriter.

Just a full disclosure: I was one of the people who said Painter should have started over Collins in the first place. Not necessarily because Curtis was a better QB for the Colts at the time (although you can make a good argument for it), but rather because it was going to be a project, no matter who you put in there.

I am now stating on the record: they need to stick with Collins.

There's an old adage in college football: "If you have two starting quarterbacks, then you really don't have any." I think that especially rings true here. You make a decision, and you live with it. Stop being so darn wishy-washy. The honest truth of it is, unless Manning miraculously comes back at 100% in the next few games, there is no Superbowl trophy for us this year. I personally would have rather spent the year developing our younger players (including Painter) and come back in a better position to win a championship next year. What the Colts have committed to, is developing a 38 yo quarterback who won't help us win a SB this year, and almost certainly won't be with the team next year (due to age and his huge 2nd year contract). But you make a decision and you live with it.

And no, I don't think Brett Favre is the answer, like Kravitz is advocating. That'll make things even worse than they are right now.

No, I think they should start Painter ASAP. Collins has a track record, sure, but the Colts have kept Painter around for this long for a reason. I'm guessing that they've seen good development in practice and honestly he looked really really good against Green Bay in the pre-season. If the season is truly lost, why continue to go with Collins? Why not try to develop Painter? The worse he can do is fumble it a couple of times inside our own twenty...oh wait Collins already does that. He should be able to run the offense more efficiently as well given that he's been in the system for a couple of years now and has some report with the receiving core. I don't think there are any downsides to running with Painter.

As for Favre? Yes, it would be good for the general Colts public to have Favre come back because it will revive general Colts fan interest. No, it will not be good for the team or for the Colts. He's old, our O-Line is awful, and he would probably be injured in his first two games. Speaking of injuries, I think we'll probably see Painter sooner or later due to the hits that Collins is taking.

Poor running game? Have you been watching the games this season? Our running game is much better this year than it has been in quite a while. Both Addai and Carter are running great so far. I don't know what you're talking about

The running game is better. Hopefully this will cary over to next season when Peyton comes back.

I'm all for bringing in another QB if the team feels it will make a difference.

I personally think Collins is as good (overall) as anyone available.

I don't think another QB (other than Brady) will make a difference.

Although another qb may be necessary before the end of the year if Collins doesn't get protection.

We have bigger problems here.

This year ALL positions BETTER be being evaluated.

If ONE player makes THAT big of a difference then things really do need to change.

This year really makes you wonder "what if" Peyton had a better OL, or "what if" he had a better defense?

It just doesn't seem possible that he affected this many parts of the team.

My heart and gut tells me coaching. I just don't think they are prepared.

But I have no real idea of what the overall problem is.

Brady might be a little better jumping in to the Colts system (with only 2-3 weeks of practice), but any QB would need more time to improve. I don't think ANYONE could run the Colts game as Manning does, not even Brady. I'm not saying Brady isn't good, I just don't think he or anyone can run the Colts game as Manning has.

I'm not so sure a "Gunslinger" wouldn't be a good idea right now. I think Collins will work out in time, but Favre might do better with in a situation with little time to become familiar with the plays. Favre isn't someone for long term, but he might work for a season that's up in the air anyway. I don't think we have cap room anyway.

I like Kerry Collins, I think he was a solid QB...smart, tough, knows the game; BUT, being in the league 17 years, there is a lot of game film on him. Opposing teams will study him, look for his weaknesses and strengths (as they do with every player) and adjust accordingly to capitalize on those. Other teams know he's much less mobile, they're aware of his release time, types of passes he prefers to throw and which receivers he might favor. You can only fool your opponents for so many years until some teams figure out how to BEAT you. It happens to every championship player, coach and team in every team sport. Now, Curtis Painter, a solid, healthy QB, does NOT have so much game film footage. I think this is a perfect opportunity to get him the work experience he needs. As someone mentioned here "the Colts keep him for a reason". The Colts offense need a leader, and I haven't seen that in Collins. Of course that does take time for the rest of the team to trust him and support him fully. I don't think that's happened yet. Keep Collins warm on the bench,(like Mark Brunell of the Jets) and put Painter in there for 2 games. he's certainly earned it.

I wonder if anyone gave Jeff Garcia a call? Did I miss him getting signed to another team or something? Someone with a little more mobility *and* that makes solid decisions with the football seems like it would have been a better direction.

Doesn't he play for the Omaha UFL team?

What I cant get over is Collins has had 1, thats right 1, 300 yard passing game in the 5 YEARS with TEN and that came last year against the colts when TEN lost. Peyton has had 29, 300 yard games in that time. If the argument is we need someone who knows the system then wouldn't a guy that has been around a few years be a better option than someone that cant throw for 300 yards and has a carrer average of 208?