Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

lets say we dont go after a wr

CR91

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Austin Collie, Griff Whalen were all in training camp with Avery.

and in training camp means what?? Griff whalen was injured before the season even began austin collie is a walking injury and lavon brazil is a late round unproven draft pick ....so again I say he was there bc there no better option.

He told you that? haha...

Its very obvious!

Aside from the four Colts players that I've already listed as other options, there were MANY free agent options at WR in 2012: Jerheme Urban, Chansi Stuckey, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Rashied Davis, Maurice Stovall, Bryant Johnson, Kassim Osgood, Greg Camarillo, Michael Clayton, Adrian Arrington, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Arnaz Battle, Patrick Crayton, Braylon Edwards, Mark Clayton, Jabar Gaffney.

Lol a bunch of retired, washed up, and over paid bums is what this list is! Like I said he was here bc he was the best Cheap option.

Awesome. ;)

You know rue

...but it is crazy how someone so good in College can turn out being nothing in the NFL.

It is. But that's how it is. You have to want to be better. You took the next step in reality, now you have to want to take the next step physically & mentally

It is. But that's how it is. You have to want to be better. You took the next step in reality, now you have to want to take the next step physically & mentally

If Tebow switched places with Russell Wilson, I think he would succeed in that style of offense and with that great defense.

This Avery hate blows my mind. Anyone putting stock into Brazil or Whalen over Avery are crazy.

I don't dislike Avery at all. I don't think he's a particularly strong #2, but that's not dislike, and certainly not hatred.

Seeing as how he's a free agent, it's reasonable to suggest that he won't be back -- maybe he will, but we don't know. We've seen reports of other teams being interested in him, so it's unlikely that the Colts are his only option. So if he isn't back, who fills that role?

Or should we be making him an offer that no one else is likely to? I personally think he's highly replaceable, and as such, wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on him.

Good post, but you'll find that this argument is like talking to brick walls. You'll get about the same amount of common sense from either. I don't know if it's just Colts fans in general or if other fan bases are obsessed with the WR position as well, but no matter what kind of common sense argument you throw out, they will always come back with " but but we gotta have as many weapons as possible" and "well, yeah, but what if so and so gets injured".

Eventually every team needs to trust their scouting dept. and take a chance on their young guy's, otherwise they never get a chance to prove theirselves and stars are never born. We don't know if Brazill, Palmer, Whalen, Sambrano, or Kelly will develop into number 1 or 2 potential, but unless we take that chance we'll never know.

Just because people don't agree with you doesn't mean they are the brick wall.  Grigson, Pagano and Arians know full well how talented that group is.  If they (not Arians) choose a WR in this draft then we'll know that group wasn't as talented as we thought.  However, you could be right and they are all Victor Cruz's waiting on their chance.

T.Y. Hilton, Lavon Brazill, Austin Collie, Griff Whalen were all in training camp with Avery.

He told you that? haha...

Aside from the four Colts players that I've already listed as other options, there were MANY free agent options at WR in 2012: Jerheme Urban, Chansi Stuckey, Terrell Owens, Roy Williams, Rashied Davis, Maurice Stovall, Bryant Johnson, Kassim Osgood, Greg Camarillo, Michael Clayton, Adrian Arrington, T.J. Houshmandzadeh, Arnaz Battle, Patrick Crayton, Braylon Edwards, Mark Clayton, Jabar Gaffney.

Awesome. ;)

1. And training camp means what?? Griff Whalen, an undrafted/unproven player who was injured before the season began..Austin Collie, A walking concussion/injury..Lavon Brazill a late round draft pick and yet another unproven player.. So again I say he was here b/c there was no better option!

2. It is very obivious.

3. LOL a bunch of retired, washed up, and over-the-hill / over-paid bums is what this list is! As i said before he was here bc he was the best CHEAP option.

4. Yea, you know its true

1. And training camp means what?? Griff Whalen, an undrafted/unproven player who was injured before the season began..Austin Collie, A walking concussion/injury..Lavon Brazill a late round draft pick and yet another unproven player.. So again I say he was here b/c there was no better option!

2. It is very obivious.

3. LOL a bunch of retired, washed up, and over-the-hill / over-paid bums is what this list is! As i said before he was here bc he was the best CHEAP option.

4. Yea, you know its true

You know rue

Since no one has answered this question, I'll ask again; Which one of are many Slot Receivers do you want to take Reggie's place if he gets hurt and is IRed. If you get an answer, then explain what makes you think the Offense will be as good or better than last season's.

IMO, the only wild card is Whalen. He is an unknown at the pro level. The rest are known and will not be able to step-up and be the #1 receiver.

This the best reason for picking up a big receiver and letting Avery walk.

I can't agree with that . I can Hilton taking the number one spot when it's time .

I don't dislike Avery at all. I don't think he's a particularly strong #2, but that's not dislike, and certainly not hatred.

Seeing as how he's a free agent, it's reasonable to suggest that he won't be back -- maybe he will, but we don't know. We've seen reports of other teams being interested in him, so it's unlikely that the Colts are his only option. So if he isn't back, who fills that role?

Or should we be making him an offer that no one else is likely to? I personally think he's highly replaceable, and as such, wouldn't want to spend a lot of money on him.

Avery had way too many drops and is a very weak No 2 . So why resign him ?

Forgive me, I do not recall seeing your question. So you want us to pick up two WRs this offseason? One to replace Avery's absence and another to take Reggie's if he goes down?

No.  I would like one to replace Avery that can step up and play #1 if Reggie goes down.

Good post, but you'll find that this argument is like talking to brick walls. You'll get about the same amount of common sense from either. I don't know if it's just Colts fans in general or if other fan bases are obsessed with the WR position as well, but no matter what kind of common sense argument you throw out, they will always come back with " but but we gotta have as many weapons as possible" and "well, yeah, but what if so and so gets injured".

Eventually every team needs to trust their scouting dept. and take a chance on their young guy's, otherwise they never get a chance to prove theirselves and stars are never born. We don't know if Brazill, Palmer, Whalen, Sambrano, or Kelly will develop into number 1 or 2 potential, but unless we take that chance we'll never know.

As someone on the other side of this argument, I could say your side is like a brick wall too.

I guess I see 2 issues throughout this thread. First, to the OP, is whether Avery is worth keeping or not, and second is whether the Colts are set at WR or not. The 2 arguments do not necessarily run parallel.

On the Avery front, you either believe he isn't reliable enough, or you believe the drops were more from rust and lack of timing with Luck. I'm of a mind to think its rust, but I'm hardly so attached to Avery that I'd be upset to see him gone.

On the WR front, you either believe the Colts have a stable of talent capable of starting, and adding more WRs would be useless, or you believe the cast, beyond TY and Reggie (and maybe Brazill), is unproven and unlikely to do more than warm benches. Hoping for Cinderellas is awesome, but I'm not inclined to count on it. Bringing in more talent to compete for starting positions, and letting camp determine who belongs where, makes much more sense to me.

But then, I've never been inclined to push for the bigger names, like Bowe, Wallace, Welker, etc.. I liked Greg Jennings early on, but not now that I've heard what he expects to be paid. I want to see the Colts bring in a promising but modestly priced guy (or maybe 2) to compete for spots on the team. I want VALUE and FIT over flash or name recognition.

I don't see that as being a brick wall, or as being obsessed. I see it as practical and logical. But that's just me.

I agree completely. I find it funny when somebody says "we need as many WR's as possible". Well that possible number is 5, and we already have those 5 plus a couple of guys. I'm not against signing a WR to come in and compete for 1 roster spot, but we won't bring in any high priced guys or a bunch of low level guys. I have said all along, that our WR corps. are already set IMO.

Lol A few of us have been preaching this since the season ended !!! :applause:  Agree with you both whole heartedly oops left Brian out there