Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

lets say we dont go after a wr

CR91

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After Wayne and Hilton, there are question marks. I'm all for getting someone else.

im actually interested to see what our young wrs can do especially this kelley guy who looks like a monster

He's our two.

The team has made public statements about players they want to re-sign, including Moala (already re-signed), Powers and McAfee (tagged). They haven't made any public statements regarding Avery. That doesn't mean they don't want him, but at this point, there's little indication that he'll be back.

So for right now, he's NOT our two.

My question is specific to his ability on the field, and it's an honest question. Do you think he's better than the guys we have under contract? Do you think he's qualified to be our two?

WR is something I am not worried about. 

I say work with who we have instead of overpaying for a overrated commodity.

I agree. I have been saying all offseason that we do not need to add another WR. Fix the O-line and the rest of the offense will get in sync. The O-line effects every aspect of how the offense operates and if the O-line is playing well, Luck will have more time to step into his throws, be more accurate, and allow plays to develop downfield. It will also help with play action because teams will have to respect our run game.

I agree. I have been saying all offseason that we do not need to add another WR. Fix the O-line and the rest of the offense will get in sync. The O-line effects every aspect of how the offense operates and if the O-line is playing well, Luck will have more time to step into his throws, be more accurate, and allow plays to develop downfield. It will also help with play action because teams will have to respect our run game.

Exactly.

It all starts in the trenches. Gives the QB more time to develop the play, gives the WRs more time to run their routes, gives more time for the RB to find the alley.

"The Hogs" of the Redskins proved that you could have average pieces everywhere else, and a great O-line, and you can win.

So for right now, he's NOT our two.

haha...again with you. Yes, Avery is our two. According to both Colts.com, NFL.com and the apparently for some, ever fleeting "reality".

He signed a 1 year contract last March. And there is NOTHING said by the Colts indicating that they do not wish to resign him.

Pagano likes him as our two. Grigson likes him as our two. Bruce Arians liked him as our two. Not sure what more you need. But that's all you're gonna get.

haha...again with you. Yes, Avery is our two. According to both Colts.com, NFL.com and the apparently for some, ever fleeting "reality".

He signed a 1 year contract last March. And there is NOTHING said by the Colts indicating that they do not wish to resign him.

Pagano likes him as our two. Grigson likes him as our two. Bruce Arians liked him as our two. Not sure what more you need. But that's all you're gonna get.

And they told you that?? Or maybe he was forced into being our number two last year because he was cheap and we were so straped for cash..

It was a simple question about what you think about his abilities. An honest question to someone who has knowledge, from someone who is curious about your opinion.

But never mind.

Always worth seeing what kind of value you can get on the market.

And when I say value I don't necessarily mean signing a guy for veteran minimum (although that's fine too).  I mean signing a guy for an amount that, relative to how other players at the position are paid, is cost-effective relative to his production.  So, signing a WR for 5 million who we think can put up the production of a guy making 7.5 is good value.  So, I think we can probably write off Wallace who will get a lot.  I'd give Jennings a call at least, but that's doubtful too.  Welker might be interesting, hard to say what the market value on him is going to be, at least worth looking into.  I would seriously consider signing Mohamed Massoquoi, he could be pretty cheap and has the potential to really improve with a less dead organization.  Might be worth kicking the tires on Edelman, Ogletree, and Smith the Lesser.

In any case, I think that's probably the reason the Colts haven't come out stronger in favor of Avery - Grigson probably just wants to check out the market first and see who might be available for how much.

I don't like Avery as a #2.     Not reliable enough.

But, I'd like him as a #3 or, if need be, a #4.     My guess is that's what the Colts would like as well.

I suspect this will come down to $$.    Can he get a better deal elsewhere?   Will we offer him anything at all??

I like his speed.   It has to be accounted for.    I'm not wild about his hands.   But, I've seen worse.    I also saw Avery make some very good catches.

As for who on the Colts likes him?    Someone does,  because in his half-hour presser, Hamilton mentioned Avery by name. 

So...    we'll see....

This is speculation.

I don't understand why people can't see this. Injuries happen and we need as many very good wr's as we can get.

We only have so many roster spots. And we currently have 5 WRs That is the right number. We have the practice squad (ours and everyone else's) that we can turn to or we can sign another WR in case of injury. The notion of wasting our time adding to an already strong WR corps when we do not have a strong Oline or Dline corps is kind of missing the mark. Wouldn't you agree?

I don't like Avery as a #2.     Not reliable enough.

I like him as the #2. His speed stretches the field very well. As far as reliability, ehhhh. Luck missed him just as many times as he dropped the ball. I'm not excusing drops but let's get the Oline settled so Andrew can stand tall...then we'll see how well he and the WRs get along.

I suspect this will come down to $$.    Can he get a better deal elsewhere?   Will we offer him anything at all??

Right. The fact that he wasn't tendered seems to mean that we're willing to let him play the field. Hopefully, there will not be anyone willing to give him more than we will be.

I like his speed.   It has to be accounted for.    I'm not wild about his hands.   But, I've seen worse.    I also saw Avery make some very good catches.

Yep.

As for who on the Colts likes him?    Someone does,  because in his half-hour presser, Hamilton mentioned Avery by name.

Yep.

And they told you that?? Or maybe he was forced into being our number two last year because he was cheap and we were so straped for cash..

That is a stunning post. The notion that a Colts coach was forced into starting anyone is...well...I don't know what to say to that. We had several other WRs who could've been given the #2. Therefore the coaches OBVIOUSLY liked him at the #2. And considering that Pagano called him personally to stop him from signing with any other team should make that abundantly clear.

We only have so many roster spots. And we currently have 5 WRs That is the right number. We have the practice squad (ours and everyone else's) that we can turn to or we can sign another WR in case of injury. The notion of wasting our time adding to an already strong WR corps when we do not have a strong Oline or Dline corps is kind of missing the mark. Wouldn't you agree?

I agree completely. I find it funny when somebody says "we need as many WR's as possible". Well that possible number is 5, and we already have those 5 plus a couple of guys. I'm not against signing a WR to come in and compete for 1 roster spot, but we won't bring in any high priced guys or a bunch of low level guys. I have said all along, that our WR corps. are already set IMO.

I agree completely. I find it funny when somebody says "we need as many WR's as possible". Well that possible number is 5, and we already have those 5 plus a couple of guys. I'm not against signing a WR to come in and compete for 1 roster spot, but we won't bring in any high priced guys or a bunch of low level guys. I have said all along, that our WR corps. are already set IMO.

Yeah. As usual, you and I see eye to eye. I'd love another beast WR too but our guys are solid. I appreciate that Avery has dropped some passes but most of the angst I've seen going back to last year has more to do with Avery supplanting Collie as the presumed #2 than with anything of substance.

I hope he resigns. This team is a good place for him.

Yeah. As usual, you and I see eye to eye. I'd love another beast WR too but our guys are solid. I appreciate that Avery has dropped some passes but most of the angst I've seen going back to last year has more to do with Avery supplanting Collie as the presumed #2 than with anything of substance.

I hope he resigns. This team is a good place for him.

Somehow, I'm already out of likes, but I agree.

I like him as the #2. His speed stretches the field very well. As far as reliability, ehhhh. Luck missed him just as many times as he dropped the ball. I'm not excusing drops but let's get the Oline settled so Andrew can stand tall...then we'll see how well he and the WRs get along.

Right. The fact that he wasn't tendered seems to mean that we're willing to let him play the field. Hopefully, there will not be anyone willing to give him more than we will be.

Yep.

Yep.

Imagine being Miami. they look at Avery different than we do. and the st.louis rams. They see a guy that played a solid year as a #2. because, really, how much does a #2 really account for each year? 700+ yds on 60+ catches and multiple TD's and game winning catches is a darn good addition to your resume. Seriously, there are several teams waiting for Avery to hit F/A.  He would be a #1 in St louis. And Miami. And for us? well, no one catches like Reggie, but reggie cant run like Avery either. luck and Wayne just clicked from the beginning. Thats the power of a good veteran. And if you remember, it wasnt always Avery. i mean how many supposable catches was Avery diving through the air fully stretched and just fingertips away from the catch but didnt get it? Luck always overthrew Brazill too. And how many times did Luck throw to Fleener, who at 6'6 was just inches short of reaching a ball thrown too high? Best rookie ive ever seen though. Next year Luck will be dead-on.

Imagine being Miami. they look at Avery different than we do. and the st.louis rams. They see a guy that played a solid year as a #2. because, really, how much does a #2 really account for each year? 700+ yds on 60+ catches and multiple TD's and game winning catches is a darn good addition to your resume. Seriously, there are several teams waiting for Avery to hit F/A.  He would be a #1 in St louis. And Miami. And for us? well, no one catches like Reggie, but reggie cant run like Avery either. luck and Wayne just clicked from the beginning. Thats the power of a good veteran. And if you remember, it wasnt always Avery. i mean how many supposable catches was Avery diving through the air fully stretched and just fingertips away from the catch but didnt get it? Luck always overthrew Brazill too. And how many times did Luck throw to Fleener, who at 6'6 was just inches short of reaching a ball thrown too high? Best rookie ive ever seen though. Next year Luck will be dead-on.

Yep. It may well be that we've decided to let him walk and T.Y. is the next man up. But I'd hate to lose him. I remember when we REALLY did not have any WR depth. Now that was a time to complain. But now, we're looking good. ;)