Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If Avery leaves?

If we do not resign Avery, do you think TY goes out wide as the 2nd, and not in the slot. Also, who replaces him in the position. I don't know how important the slot is in Pep's offense. I would love anyone who is knowledgeable on this for a little help. How about split TY wide, and put Welker in the slot. It would drive teams crazy!

Sorry,  but my mother looks good in the pre-season and she's been dead over 20 years!

Just sayin.....

Sorry,  but my mother looks good in the pre-season and she's been dead over 20 years!

Just sayin.....

He would have made the team if he didnt injury his ankle. Whalen=Collie. Collie would have been something for next 7-10 yrs if he didnt have so many concussions.

He would have made the team if he didnt injury his ankle. Whalen=Collie. Collie would have been something for next 7-10 yrs if he didnt have so many concussions.

Maybe.    But I don't think we saw enough for anyone to know.  

And, as a Stanford fan,  I think it's too early to know if Whalen=Collie.     I think Whalen is more likely a very poor man's version of Collie.   And I'm not sure that's enough to do much in the NFL....

Just my view....

If we do not resign Avery, do you think TY goes out wide as the 2nd, and not in the slot. Also, who replaces him in the position. I don't know how important the slot is in Pep's offense. I would love anyone who is knowledgeable on this for a little help. How about split TY wide, and put Welker in the slot. It would drive teams crazy!

If Reggie is on the LOS then TY is in the slot.    And vice versa.   Now that Reggie has shown he can play in the slot as well, I'm not sure that it all really matters.    But, TY is fine in the slot.    I would guess that's his primary position.   

And yes,  Fleener can play in the slot as well if need be....

Still....   I'm in the minority and hope that Avery is back,  but as the 3rd WR,  not the starter with Reggie.   I think TY has passed him.

If Reggie is on the LOS then TY is in the slot. And vice versa. Now that Reggie has shown he can play in the slot as well, I'm not sure that it all really matters. But, TY is fine in the slot. I would guess that's his primary position.

And yes, Fleener can play in the slot as well if need be....

Still.... I'm in the minority and hope that Avery is back, but as the 3rd WR, not the starter with Reggie. I think TY has passed him.

I guess I'm in the minority too then.

BTW, after the draft, do you plan to change your screen name? Seems like you've been around long enough to earn a more established moniker...

BTW, after the draft, do you plan to change your screen name? Seems like you've been around long enough to earn a more established moniker...

Yikes,  that thought never even occurred to me!?    I suppose I could do it in mid-May around my 1-year anniversary....

I'd have to give serious thought to what I'd change it to....    as you know,  someone smarter than me has already taken quite a good handle....    Schwamm!!     :thmup:    :thmup:

I'm really going to have to think about this.....    Hope my head doesn't explode!?!      :Nuke:

I think I'm the only one rooting for us to go after Ramses Barden. Looked good when he got some playing time. Plus he'll come cheap.

Your not.   Trust me, you're not.    I brought him up right after the season.   Several other Colts fans chimed in agreeing.

So, Barden has a small fan club here.    You're not alone.

That said,   most of us -- even though we like him -- recognize that it's likely a long-shot that it will happen.   

By the way,   nice avatar!    Corgi?   Or something else?

I know alot of fans here dont want avery back because of his drops especially the ones in the playoff game but i think we should retain him due to the fact that he had flashes of blowing the tops off defenses. plus, another season with luck could really improve his play because they will now have a feel for each other.

Avery was a Big Help this season with his 60 catches and ability to stretch the Defense downfield. Of course he dropped a lot of balls, so did T.Y..

Luck had to be embarrased watching tape of all the late passes and balls thrown behind his receivers. The number was HUGE.
He acknowledged working on his accuracy was a priority.

Palmer is the Smurf who will be given the opportunity as next man up used to stretch the Defense with his lightning speed.

I'm really not convinced we have 16+ game quality depth at the position if we let Avery walk. So much of our receiving corps depends on Reggie not missing any time, but as old as he's getting, it's riskier and riskier to rely on that every year. Hilton's quality, but routinely gets nicked up (and he's still just one guy). We don't know if Brazill's developed enough to contribute regularly yet. It may take another year for him.

Avery, iffy hands and all, is a veteran presence our WR corps benefits from. We may draft another guy this year or bring in a cheap to moderately priced FA, but until then, I'd count on seeing Avery as a Colt in 2013. 

Your not.   Trust me, you're not.    I brought him up right after the season.   Several other Colts fans chimed in agreeing.

So, Barden has a small fan club here.    You're not alone.

That said,   most of us -- even though we like him -- recognize that it's likely a long-shot that it will happen.   

By the way,   nice avatar!    Corgi?   Or something else?

Alright lol. I realize it is a long shot, but I'm hoping one of Grigson's scouts is fighting for us to get after him.

And thanks! It's my corgi. He never stops playing, but we all love him haha

I think I'm the only one rooting for us to go after Ramses Barden. Looked good when he got some playing time. Plus he'll come cheap.

I have been saying this guy is the only WR we should should sign for the last 2 months. Big tall WR that will come cheap.

if Avery leaves i guess we will be taking a mid-late WR on draft or a mid tier WR. I still dont see us being after Mike Wallace or Jennings and now that Hartline is off the market, complicates stuff more if avery leaves.

I still like Jabin Sambrano's chances of making the team. I hear Brazill will have a bigger role next season. 

I agree. IMO we won't sign a WR. Probably won't even draft one IMO, but if we did, I want Barden, but I think were are going to keep Reggie, Hilton, Brazill, Palmer, and Whalen or Sambrano. I don't see room to add anymore.

I like the Idea of Swope or maybe Dobson a bigger guy. Swope intrigues me though. Hes a natural catcher with his hands and has ability to run after the catch and has deceptive speed. Hes a tough guy, not easy to bring down. I think he could play outside or slot.

Avery was a Big Help this season with his 60 catches and ability to stretch the Defense downfield. Of course he dropped a lot of balls, so did T.Y..

Luck had to be embarrased watching tape of all the late passes and balls thrown behind his receivers. The number was HUGE.

He acknowledged working on his accuracy was a priority.

Palmer is the Smurf who will be given the opportunity as next man up used to stretch the Defense with his lightning speed.

Great post.

Some nice Barden highlights but he's running a lot of "Reggie routes". Not sure he is a good fit right now. Maybe in two years. But I'm thinking our #2 has to be a burner. Not sure he is.

That's probably fine, given that RW played pretty much everywhere and ran pretty much everything in the playbookwith last year. I'd take more of that! :)

Theres no way i would let Avery walk. He dropped 12 catchable passes last year out of 78? This was his first real contribution role hes played in since a major injury got him booted from Rams. Played sparingly in Tenessee but overall i thought he did great considering the circumstances. Man, proving yourself on a one year contract with a team the caliber as the Colts had to be nerve wracking, every game, especially coming off the huge dissapointments from his injury that cost him, really, 2 years of his carreer. His Catching ability will become solid with time and Andrew Luck. His route running IMO was great. and though he dropped some, go back to the highlight reel and he caught some pretty incredible passes at times. His speed was the most obvious. His breaks are quick. And i might be rediculed for saying, but Avery and wallace are alot alike, with Avery being the faster player. Wallace has problems catching too. Heck no, i think we should stick with Avery. Give him the comfort of a contract because hes already proud of his time here.He proved his injury is behind him. In his first year in our Brand new system, he caught 70? passes and made some crucial plays in deciding games for a great year. Keep him. Anyone would be proud to be a Colt.

Theres no way i would let Avery walk. He dropped 12 catchable passes last year out of 78? This was his first real contribution role hes played in since a major injury got him booted from Rams. Played sparingly in Tenessee but overall i thought he did great considering the circumstances. Man, proving yourself on a one year contract with a team the caliber as the Colts had to be nerve wracking, every game, especially coming off the huge dissapointments from his injury that cost him, really, 2 years of his carreer. His Catching ability will become solid with time and Andrew Luck. His route running IMO was great. and though he dropped some, go back to the highlight reel and he caught some pretty incredible passes at times. His speed was the most obvious. His breaks are quick. And i might be rediculed for saying, but Avery and wallace are alot alike, with Avery being the faster player. Wallace has problems catching too. Heck no, i think we should stick with Avery. Give him the comfort of a contract because hes already proud of his time here.He proved his injury is behind him. In his first year in our Brand new system, he caught 70? passes and made some crucial plays in deciding games for a great year. Keep him. Anyone would be proud to be a Colt.

Great points. Thank you for bringing some depth to the conversation.

IMO we're good at WR. And I doubt it is even on Colts management's radar.

Maybe Griff Whalen will be brought up now that his old OC is in town. He was Luck's room mate and favorite target (yes, even over Fleener), and in the right system, virtually any player could excel. As for Avery, I think he definitely proved himself last year, but with Pep Hamilton coming in to call the plays and establish more of a ground game, is Avery still a good fit for his system? In my opinion, I think he still would be.

Odds are Avery resigns, he remains the #2 and Welker has never hit our radar. We've got enough roster moves needing to be made. No real need to muddy up something that already works.

I would just like us to have another guy who has solid hands and is a solid route runner. A posession type guy. Our receivers did have some high drop rates. But I understand that has a good chance hopefully to improve. Maybe Griff becomes that guy who knows. I do like the potential with our guys now though. I would really love to see that Kelly guy develop and become a playmaker!