Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Mortensen thinks we're in the run for Darrelle Revis...

Indyfan4life

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Albert Breer reported something along the lines of a 1st round pick this year and a conditional 2nd round pick next year (depending on his health issue) could make sense.

I almost would take that. I think Revis is worth a 1st & 2nd round pick. 

The only thing I'm hesitant about is that amount of money Revis will cost and if his ego will get in the way of him wanting more every year.

Darrelle Revis reportedly wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football.    Not highest paid corner,  the highest paid defensive player.     So, roughly 5 years/$100 Mill.   Maybe 6 years for that money.  

Still interested??

Superman, on 06 Mar 2013 - 13:16, said:

People can infer that the team is interested in signing someone without reference to one of these media guys. You could have done that here. If you had said that YOU think we're in the running for Revis, and based that on Mortensen's comments about the Colts making sense, that would have been entirely different.

But in your thread title, you said "Mortensen thinks we're in the running," and that's NOT what Mortensen said.

Maybe it's splitting hairs, but there's a difference between saying the Colts would make sense as a landing spot and saying "I think the Colts are in the running."

Because me saying "I think we're in the running" is based on my own opinion. I could say we were going after Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but that would be based solely on my opinion. Mort saying he thinks or we would make sense is as close to saying we're interested without him actually saying it. Interpretation is within the eye of the beholder and I took it as he thinks we are interested. If you want to argue semantics, that's quite okay. I'm simply stating it as how I took the comment.

Because me saying "I think we're in the running" is based on my own opinion. I could say we were going after Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but that would be based solely on my opinion. Mort saying he thinks or we would make sense is as close to saying we're interested without him actually saying it. Interpretation is within the eye of the beholder and I took it as he thinks we are interested. If you want to argue semantics, that's quite okay. I'm simply stating it as how I took the comment.

Cool deal. But me personally, I think your conclusion of Mort's opinion is probably more appropriate if it's in your post, rather than in the title of the thread.

JMO

Back to the topic, I disagree with Mort that the Colts make sense as a destination for Revis. I don't think the Colts are interested in giving up multiple draft picks for a veteran cornerback, especially not one that's a) coming off of a serious injury, and b) wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. We already traded our second rounder for Davis; I don't think we'd trade our first rounder as well, especially in a draft with so much value at the end of the first round. Plus the Jets want another high pick next year. Plus Revis wants a mega contract.

I think a team with a lot of picks and some cap space makes more sense, which is why everyone has been talking about the Niners.

Cool deal. But me personally, I think your conclusion of Mort's opinion is probably more appropriate if it's in your post, rather than in the title of the thread.

JMO

Back to the topic, I disagree with Mort that the Colts make sense as a destination for Revis. I don't think the Colts are interested in giving up multiple draft picks for a veteran cornerback, especially not one that's a) coming off of a serious injury, and b) wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league. We already traded our second rounder for Davis; I don't think we'd trade our first rounder as well, especially in a draft with so much value at the end of the first round. Plus the Jets want another high pick next year. Plus Revis wants a mega contract.

I think a team with a lot of picks and some cap space makes more sense, which is why everyone has been talking about the Niners.

Now, see, that I agree with. Don't take it as I was being rude or trying to argue with you. Just pointing out my opinion on the matter. If he wasn't requesting so much money then I'd be very interested in bringing him in. Trading a 1st round pick though I'm not high on.

I've read the Jets will rebuild, so if we trade for Revis we will help them on this process. Besides, we don't need a CB like Revis now. We can pick a good one in the draft and the Colts will be good at CB position. Let's get better at OLB, DT, DE, OL positions instead of making some crazy trade and help the jets

Now, see, that I agree with. Don't take it as I was being rude or trying to argue with you. Just pointing out my opinion on the matter. If he wasn't requesting so much money then I'd be very interested in bringing him in. Trading a 1st round pick though I'm not high on.

Same here. Great player, but not worth the money he's wanting, and definitely not worth the money + picks to get him from the Jets. Not for us.

I've read the Jets will rebuild, so if we trade for Revis we will help them on this process. Besides, we don't need a CB like Revis now. We can pick a good one in the draft and the Colts will be good at CB position. Let's get better at OLB, DT, DE, OL positions instead of making some crazy trade and help the jets

Maybe not now but we sure did need a cb like him a couple months ago when flacco and boldin were having pre-game warm up on Cassius Vaughn

I like Revis, but with reports of him wanting a 100 million dollar contract, he can take his service's elsewhere. A contract like that, especially for a defensive guy absolutely destroy's a team. He isn't worth anywhere near that kind of money.

I like Revis, but with reports of him wanting a 100 million dollar contract, he can take his service's elsewhere. A contract like that, especially for a defensive guy absolutely destroy's a team. He isn't worth anywhere near that kind of money.

Agreed hes hit his head :excited:  :hello:  :hmm:

He is never happy...   he is famous for wanting to redo his contract before ever finishing out the contract he is under.

Dude is just a head ache....     I don't want any player that thinks he deserves QB money....   that does NOT play QB.

What's this attitude people keep talking about?

Revis is hands-down the best defensive player in the league when healthy. Now, with that said if he was willing to take less money than whats being "reported" then I would love to have him on our team! But if not and the rumors are true that he wants 90-100 mil then he can keep it moving.

Darrelle Revis reportedly wants to be the highest paid defensive player in football.    Not highest paid corner,  the highest paid defensive player.     So, roughly 5 years/$100 Mill.   Maybe 6 years for that money.  

Still interested??

Like I stated, that's what I'm worried about.

The thought of Davis & Revis is something beautiful, but I'm not for overpriced players.

We could've called them the "Vis-Island" haha

I say we just pass if he is trying to be the highest paid. People just don't play for the sport, tradition, or love of the sport anymore. All about the money these days. Which is why I love Reggie Wayne so much when he stayed with us through those hard times last year

Thank You Reggie!!!

Revis is hands-down the best defensive player in the league when healthy. Now, with that said if he was willing to take less money than whats being "reported" then I would love to have him on our team! But if not and the rumors are true that he wants 90-100 mil then he can keep it moving.

I disagree. I'd rather have JJ Watt, Von Miller or Aldon Smith, personally. But Revis is tops at cornerback. Moot point, either way.

I disagree. I'd rather have JJ Watt, Von Miller or Aldon Smith, personally. But Revis is tops at cornerback. Moot point, either way.

Aldon Smith completely disappears when Justin Smith is out. Revis is better just because of the fact he plays great independent of other players.

He is never happy...   he is famous for wanting to redo his contract before ever finishing out the contract he is under.

Dude is just a head ache....     I don't want any player that thinks he deserves QB money....   that does NOT play QB.

I think he gets a bad rap for the contract dispute. And by the way, there's only been one contract dispute.

He plays a physical position in a violent sport. His coaches publicly laud him as the best in the league at his position. Why wouldn't he want to get paid according to what the market says he should be paid?

Yea and I disagree with you. Von Miller? Aldon Smith? come on now you can't be serious over a healthy Revis!? No Way. Revis Makes teams play 10 on 10, and thats without the other teams best Wr.

Aldon Smith completely disappears when Justin Smith is out. Revis is better just because of the fact he plays great independent of other players.

Meh; Aldon relies on his teammates more because of the position he plays. I'd still take Watt or Miller over Revis. And I might throw Haloti Ngata up there also.

In general, a player who is disruptive along the line of scrimmage is more valuable than a player who can take one player out of the game. And I guess that's not really what you said; you said he's the best, not the most valuable. But debating his contract worth has a lot to do with his value, IMO.

???   Mike Greenburg, the biggest Jet homer on the national airwaves" stated he is coming up on his 3rd contract and this is his 3rd time crying before it was played out.  

Just repeating what I heard this morning..     And I totally do recall Revis crying over money before his last contract...   which he held out...

and now this makes 2.    AT least.     He is always in the news for his play, or his contract...    

I'll pass..

I think he gets a bad rap for the contract dispute. And by the way, there's only been one contract dispute.

He plays a physical position in a violent sport. His coaches publicly laud him as the best in the league at his position. Why wouldn't he want to get paid according to what the market says he should be paid?

???   Mike Greenburg, the biggest Jet homer on the national airwaves" stated he is coming up on his 3rd contract and this is his 3rd time crying before it was played out.  

Just repeating what I heard this morning..     And I totally do recall Revis crying over money before his last contract...   which he held out...

and now this makes 2.    AT least.     He is always in the news for his play, or his contract...    

I'll pass..

I'm not arguing for Revis. I'm not interested either, as good as he is.

But regardless what Greenburg says, Revis is currently on his second contract. He held out to get his rookie contract renegotiated, and that was done three years ago, before the 2010 season.

The contract he agreed to in 2010 was really a four year contract. It is set to void after the 2013 season, so long as Revis doesn't hold out before then. If he does hold out, then three more years trigger at $3m/year.

There were a lot of words written about his contract status before last season, but he never threatened to hold out. Most people believe that he was unhappy because he expected the Jets to renegotiate his contract again within a couple years, and some people believe he got that indication from the Jets front office when he agreed to the deal in 2010. But he didn't hold out, and obviously won't, in order to avoid the trigger.

I don't like how Revis is one of the very best defenders in the league, but has become synonymous with contract disputes and hold outs. His first contract still had three years on it. It's really strange for a rookie contract to be renegotiated with three years remaining. I understand why he wanted to do it, though, and Jets management completely mishandled the situation. Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum have suffered a lot over the years as a result of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. The Revis situation is probably the best example.

But this is also partly a situation of perception becoming reality. Someone the other day said that it seems like Revis holds out every year. He held out once, three years ago. One contract dispute with his team in his career. I'm not on his side; I wasn't then, and I'm not now. But his contract dispute -- there was only one -- is being blown out of proportion a little bit.

I'm not arguing for Revis. I'm not interested either, as good as he is.

But regardless what Greenburg says, Revis is currently on his second contract. He held out to get his rookie contract renegotiated, and that was done three years ago, before the 2010 season.

The contract he agreed to in 2010 was really a four year contract. It is set to void after the 2013 season, so long as Revis doesn't hold out before then. If he does hold out, then three more years trigger at $3m/year.

There were a lot of words written about his contract status before last season, but he never threatened to hold out. Most people believe that he was unhappy because he expected the Jets to renegotiate his contract again within a couple years, and some people believe he got that indication from the Jets front office when he agreed to the deal in 2010. But he didn't hold out, and obviously won't, in order to avoid the trigger.

I don't like how Revis is one of the very best defenders in the league, but has become synonymous with contract disputes and hold outs. His first contract still had three years on it. It's really strange for a rookie contract to be renegotiated with three years remaining. I understand why he wanted to do it, though, and Jets management completely mishandled the situation. Rex Ryan and Mike Tannenbaum have suffered a lot over the years as a result of saying the wrong thing at the wrong time. The Revis situation is probably the best example.

But this is also partly a situation of perception becoming reality. Someone the other day said that it seems like Revis holds out every year. He held out once, three years ago. One contract dispute with his team in his career. I'm not on his side; I wasn't then, and I'm not now. But his contract dispute -- there was only one -- is being blown out of proportion a little bit.

If Greenburg...    the biggest Jet homer in the history of Pro Football says Revis is "never happy" ...   

I believe him....    Those two clowns force feed the pulse of the NY Jets down the listeners throats every morning.

If Greenburg...    the biggest Jet homer in the history of Pro Football says Revis is "never happy" ...   

I believe him....    Those two clowns force feed the pulse of the NY Jets down the listeners throats every morning.

Okay. I don't know if being a Jets homer qualifies him to determine whether another person is happy, but whatever.

I'm just saying that I think there's this perception of a perpetual contract dispute with Revis, and that's not really true.