Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Andre Smith wants 9 Mil/Year

I just do not see 9 million for a RT....is it just me?

This has to be another "Lets go for the Powerball" with his agent....and work something that makes sense for the team who negotiates with him.

I am looking forward to our FAs....especially OL.  I feel we will have one name for sure...and a mid level guy that is solid...just the way Grigs works.

Jake Long wants $11 Million. I don't think he's worth that, or will get that either

Dolphins | Jake Long will be looking for big money Sun Mar 3, 12:44 PM

Miami Dolphins impending free-agent OT Jake Long has made it known that he wants $11 million per season in his next contract.

Our view: Long wants top Left Tackle money but durability issues may prevent that from happening. He's a good player, but not elite at the position and many are concerned about how long his back can hold up.

Link to story https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/308270634671169536

If we spend $8-9M for an O-Lineman it will be to improve ourselves at LT.
And it doesn`t appear there is anyone available worth that kind of $$.
Griggs won`t put that kind of $$ down with risk involved. (J Long). Now If they thought he had a 100% clean bill of health. ????

Then you would have a upgrade at LT for $9M, a really good RT for $1.1M for two more years, and a better backup LT than most teams would have.
 In theory. :bossy:

I'd take Loadholt over him. Money value wise. Dudes a road grader. I'm sure there's a couple other guys who would do well also. Think we need one guard and a rt. or two guards and resign justice.

I am doing more agreeing than arguing these days...not sure f we can get Loadholdt.....but boy would I love to see all 6'8" 345 pounds to the right!!!  Vikings want to keep him,,,,AP wants him too...

"Phil Loadholt is a good football player for us," Vikings general manager Rick Spielman told the team website. "Our offensive line had a lot of wholesale changes up front, getting Matt Kalil, moving Charlie (Johnson) inside to left guard, the emergence of (John) Sullivan, who I think is a Pro Bowl center, the development of Brandon Fusco and Phil Loadholt. Our objective is to hopefully keep all those guys together for the next three, four, five years."

I do not see us as BBs says above spending big for the RT.  I feel like we get two guards and a RT in FA...one or two of those being mid-level young guns.  We can hope for a couple of these big boys though..it never hurts! :pass:  :pass:  :coltslogo:  :coltslogo:  :colts:  :colts: !!!!!

According to the NFL.....

The OL franchise tag price is $9.8M, which is the average of the Top 5 OL salaries.

The OL transition tag price is $8.7M, the average of the Top 10 OL salaries.

That puts a RT of Andre Smith's ability in what, maybe the 8 - 8.5M range ? If the bid goes higher than that, I'd go another route because that top-line tag price should only go to LTs.

For comparison's sake....Polian gave RT Ryan Diem a 35M contract which averaged 5.1M a year, and that was in 2006. And unless I'm wrong, he collected every penny of it. Ouch.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/ryan-diem/

According to the NFL.....

The OL franchise tag price is $9.8M, which is the average of the Top 5 OL salaries.

The OL transition tag price is $8.7M, the average of the Top 10 OL salaries.

That puts a RT of Andre Smith's ability in what, maybe the 8 - 8.5M range ? If the bid goes higher than that, I'd go another route because that top-line tag price should only go to LTs.

For comparison's sake....Polian gave RT Ryan Diem a 35M contract which averaged 5.1M a year, and that was in 2006. And unless I'm wrong, he collected every penny of it. Ouch.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapolis-colts/ryan-diem/

I wouldn't put his value that high. Eric Winston signed for average of 5.5m last year

What the hell was Polian thinking?

I wouldn't put his value that high. Eric Winston signed for average of 5.5m last year

What the heck was Polian thinking?

Well.....we'll see what Smith gets paid when the market opens, but the Texans got a good deal on Winston. 

And Polian wasn't thinking. 

Smith isn't even worth half of that.

He took major steps this year, but he still isn't that great. 

Yeah, well....the funny thing in this whole free agency discussion is that if you bring up Anthony Spencer or Paul Kruger as OLB options...or Dashon Goldson at SS...then the overrated/overpriced arguments surface over those players as well, despite our deplorable play at those positions.

I'd love to think that Grigson will get 9 or 10 under the radar free agents with a 3M cap hit each....and they turn into Pro Bowlers...but that's just not realistic.

Some of that 40-45M cap space will probably have to be spent at the "market price" for a couple proven veterans that hopefully continue to be impact guys. I'm not saying break the bank....but if we have to spend 89% of our cap I'd like some of it to be spent on players who are a clear upgrade at some key positions.

A 100% bargain basement approach can backfire too.

I think it is really important to see what the Bengals did in releasing Smith to FA. Now I like Smith, but

lets look the facts. His first two seasons were far below what a 6th pick in the first round should produce. He was definitely out of shape when he came into the league. He only started to improve in the 2011 season and really solidified his position in 2012. I always get a little scared when a player's history shows his best season was the one before FA, although that is hard to say for a rookie. It does show what the thoughts of $$ do as far as motivation.

OK back to the analysis. The bengals had the option of keeping him for two more years. He would have been owed right in the neighborhood of 18M, exactly what he says he wants. Now the Bengals have never broke open the bank, but I don't believe they felt he was worth 9M either.

When Eric Winston went from Houston last year to K.C. he was a very good RT and got 5.5M/year. I thought KC really got a good deal. I have no problem with 7M on a really good RT, but I need more than really one years production to pay that kind of money.

9 million a year for starting RT on a team that gave up 46 sacks this year who if he would have shown up at any time over 350lbs his weekly paycut would have been cut in half? Not to mention the fact that he has only played in one full 16 game season in his career, Hmm I think a harsh reality will set in for him, he is not a LT, 9 million is Jason Peters, Joe Thomas type money and 4 million more then Donald Penn at LT, lay off the whackey weed and ho hos and get serious Smith

I think it is really important to see what the Bengals did in releasing Smith to FA. Now I like Smith, but

lets look the facts. His first two seasons were far below what a 6th pick in the first round should produce. He was definitely out of shape when he came into the league. He only started to improve in the 2011 season and really solidified his position in 2012. I always get a little scared when a player's history shows his best season was the one before FA, although that is hard to say for a rookie. It does show what the thoughts of $$ do as far as motivation.

OK back to the analysis. The bengals had the option of keeping him for two more years. He would have been owed right in the neighborhood of 18M, exactly what he says he wants. Now the Bengals have never broke open the bank, but I don't believe they felt he was worth 9M either.

When Eric Winston went from Houston last year to K.C. he was a very good RT and got 5.5M/year. I thought KC really got a good deal. I have no problem with 7M on a really good RT, but I need more than really one years production to pay that kind of money.

That's a fair review of Smith's career...but the Bengals also had DE Michael Johnson and Geno Atkins to deal with and ultimately tagged Johnson.

Unfortunately none of the top OTs in free agency are risk-free. Long, Albert and Vollmer all have injury concerns and yes, Andre Smith has had his issues. Phil Loadholt remains unlikely to be tagged by the Vikings so maybe he's an option....or Grigson can grab us a RT upgrade on draft day.

It's starting to look like a choice between SOME NFL credibility and production in the 6-8M range or an educated guess on draft day....which is certainly cap-friendly....but may not solve the problem.

This is what we know....while Winston Justice is a serviceable RT, he is by no means near the top of the RT crop in the NFL. And that inexcusable de-cleating of Andrew Luck that he allowed to rookie OLB Nick Perry just can't happen...

http://youtu.be/pHIQai1JK3c

That play showed us 2 things.

1. Luck is a MAN

2. Grigson WILL upgrade the O-Line.

It was actually Fleener who blew the assignment. Although it would have been nice if justice had realized the screw up and at least yelled DUCK

I'd be fine with giving a 5 year, 25-30 million to Vasquez at G.  Would be a big help in the run game of Pep Hamilton's new offense and an upgrade over McGlynn.  While he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, he is much better than we have on the roster and would still be an upgrade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444315-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-70-guards/page/2

I'd be fine with giving a 5 year, 25-30 million to Vasquez at G.  Would be a big help in the run game of Pep Hamilton's new offense and an upgrade over McGlynn.  While he is a better pass blocker than run blocker, he is much better than we have on the roster and would still be an upgrade.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1444315-br-nfl-1000-2013-top-70-guards/page/2

he isn't taking that when he can get more, he wants 5 yr 35-40mil

unless a team is in a really bad cap situation, you have to look really hard at why they released a player. no one know a player better than the team they play for.