Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Rotoworld's Evan Silva Thinks Colts Will Sign...[Merge]

Dark Superman

Cason didnt play well in San Diego, do they play a lot of zone? I remember thinking he should be in a man coverage scheme when he came out of Arizona.

Chargers ran a 3-4. I think they ran man mostly then. Don't really know a 3-4 Defense that's mostly Zone besides the Steelers. But I do believe the Chargers ran a lot of man. Cause I watched Quentin Jammer & he seemed to be in Man a lot

Avril doesn't fit in he system. I don't think he can go from 4-3 DE to 3-4OLB.

I don't know if he can play 3-4 OLB or not.... but I definitely don't want to pay what it would cost to find out.... we already tried that experiment once.

I don't know if he can play 3-4 OLB or not.... but I definitely don't want to pay what it would cost to find out.... we already tried that experiment once.

Exactly! I'd rather get Kruger or maybe even spencer being they both have played the position. Was reading some different stories. They were saying spencer is more of a run stopper and Kruger is more of pass rusher.

Don't count out those former Boilers.....Avril and Spencer.  I really like Avril alot!!!  

I agree with above comments, however....why not go ahead and put a bid in on someone who knows the Raven system...I go for Kruger first, Spencer second and Avril 3rd.  64 million dollar contract for a 260 pound DE....sounds like D Free to me....(the article does say Avril appeals to 3-4...not so sure here.)

Cason getting beat deep...heck we are used to that with Vaughn... :)...OK the smile....just turned to a  haha !!!!

It is getting more and more exciting....9 more days.  I hope we do not mess around!!!  

http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=97440 right click and open

Couldn`t find the fans talking about the need to sign Cason. He does get a LOT of passes defended!!

Our new mngmt guy from SD will know the skinny. We need to find one Good CB starter for sure.

I was a little harsh on Cason....I tend to do that...he is a major upgrade over a hapless Vaughn!!!  :)

Just no understanding why Vaughn never looks back to play the ball.

Cason at  $5M plus? No idea if Griggs & Chuck see that.  But at 26 he still has upside!

Whatcha do if they sign a good CB to start and one you want is there at 24?

I think I see what I have done in FA first via OL BBs.  You have to have a plan B...C and so on...

I personally would go for a big fella on the DL or OLB at that point.  Still thinking like you on FA as OL...but if we don't get our guy (s) we go OL when one of the studs fall to 24...and 1 will...

I think my head is spinning....what do you think Grigson's is doing?  HA HA!  I am sure the Colts have a Plan Z  :huthut:

Just no understanding why Vaughn never looks back to play the ball.

Cason at  $5M plus? No idea if Griggs & Chuck see that.  But at 26 he still has upside!

Whatcha do if they sign a good CB to start and one you want is there at 24?

Is there something wrong with that? The way guys get hurt it would be awesome to have three quality CBs.

We all know that Powers is still on his Auburn schedule, he plays 11 games. If he's re-signed we'll definitely need another backup. Especially if Butler leaves.

Antoine Cason would be about the same as picking up Mike Jenkins. I'd be extremely happy with either of them to pair with Vontae. I've been saying the benefits of Avril a long time now. I read somewhere that he played some LB in college. Dont know how much but hes definantly real quick east and west. Avril and Mathis would be an awesome tandem to have.

Cliff played a 3-4 at Purdue. I believe he's the best natural pass rusher the free agent class has to offer. He can pretty much do it all and I think he would excel in our system. If Grigson sees something in him I'm sure we will throw him atleast a visit and a offer.

A U Turn sign. That was worth a good laugh. :jump: 
Its a long season, a 3rd quality corner would be great. And no Guarantee we get to keep Vontae as a FA.
With so many Starter holes to fill a 3rd CB might sound like a luxury.
 But drafting a CB or a pass rusher a year ahead of a Need is good, if the Quality is there.

So many holes to fill, and so many days of waiting. :panic:

Yeah I posted this same threat last night. I wouldn't mind seeing him with a Horseshoe on his helmet.. I can't see Jerry Hughes as our Freeney replacement.

Perhaps not but Hughes was light years better then Freeney was last year standing up, I think he is better suited for the Mathis role of dropping back and mixing it up pass rushing, Then again if we went with a 3-4 pass rushing  OLB I'd like to see us trade down and get Brandon Jenkins in the second and get possibly get another draft pick in the process But I would like to see what Hughes can do given a full season starting and just not being a rotational OLB, He still has some work to do but I was impressed with what I saw from his limited starts

Perhaps not but Hughes was light years better then Freeney was last year standing up, I think he is better suited for the Mathis role of dropping back and mixing it up pass rushing, Then again if we went with a 3-4 OLB in the mid rounds such as 3rd I sure would like to see what Hughes can do given a full season starting and just not being a rotational OLB, He still has some work to do but I was impressed with what I saw from his limited starts

You are spot on with Hughes....the Mathis role is the best for Hughes.  It was his side as DE in college too.  He just looks a lot quicker and more comfortable on the left.

Now if we could just get him to play contain...we may have something....Jamaal Charles had him for lunch do to zero contain...:)

You are spot on with Hughes....the Mathis role is the best for Hughes.  It was his side as DE in college too.  He just looks a lot quicker and more comfortable on the left.

Now if we could just get him to play contain...we may have something....Jamaal Charles had him for lunch do to zero contain... :)

You talking about that long run Charles had for a TD? (It went for 86 yards)

You talking about that long run Charles had for a TD? (It went for 86 yards)

You got it....Hughes was coming on the edge...nobody stayed home.....he had several strong outside runs where we lacked 'contain' principles....not all Hughes.  I agree with you on the Mathis role suiting him!!

You got it....Hughes was coming on the edge...nobody stayed home.....he had several strong outside runs where we lacked 'contain' principles....not all Hughes.  I agree with you on the Mathis role suiting him!!

Freeney and Mathis were in on that play (I just watched it). Hughes wasn't in that play

Avril was an OLB at Purdue, so he has the background of playing the position as opposed to Freeney.

I agree with the sentiment that his character has some potential flaws, and he could be asking for top dollar for his services. I'd like to think part of it is the fact that he's been with the Lions since he was drafted, and he's just tired of the bad/losing atmosphere. Maybe he'll be willing to take a little less to play his old position with a team on the up-and-up. I think he's certainly worth a look, I just don't want to make him one of the top 5 paid at OLB.

Cason, eh, I don't know. He's alright, there's just something about him that doesn't impress me.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts2012

Found player snap count to be interesting (I dont exactly believe those exact numbers so take it for what its worth). I added up the snap count they have Jerry down every week and it came out to 596, Given that he made 41 tackles and 4 sacks not being an every down player last year, He made a play 7.5 percent of the time he was on the field on defense (Did not count special teams plays). For comparison Demarcus Ware played 812 snaps and was in on 67.5(rounded up for this purpose to 68) plays total 56 tackles and 11.5 sacks, so IF that link is correct and I have my doubts Ware made a play on 8.3 percent of his total defensive snaps played...........Now I know we cant play the averages game and predict numbers that way but it does go to show Hughes certainly was putting up numbers considering his snap count 216 less snaps then one of the best Linebackers in the game if not the best OLB

Avril won't have N Suh or Farley when he leaves....    Talk about taking pressure off your DE's??

Avril....    NO WAY

he would have Mathis....and Lions dont blitz we do so thats another thing..

but yea no way we pay him mario type of money