Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How do you feel about Dashon Goldson?

Indra

I know everybody hates these kinds of threads, but the rumor mill out here in San Francisco says Goldson won't be franchised by the 49ers, and he won't be re-signed to a long term contract.  I think he would certainly be an upgrade over Zibi, but would it be worth pursuing?  How feasible do you think it is?  I haven't been following the cap situation/roster moves very closely since the end of the season, so I may be totally off-base here.

Thoughts?

Edit:  I know he's a FS and we've already got Bethea, but I think either one of them could probably play SS pretty well.

In the playoffs, the 49ers games I was watching, he wasn't great. But I don't know much about him.

The Niners secondary was not good at all during the playoffs.  They were good during the season, but they fell off the map.  That includes everybody - corners and safeties.  Not sure if that's something to worry about or not.  Also he might be looking for more money than we're willing to shill out for somewhat of an unknown. 

He's an upgrade as a starter for us, but he's overrated and overpriced. That whole 49ers defense starts with Justin Smith, who does so much to help the LB's, whose plays in turn make life that much easier for the secondary. Goldson's a product of the system and the talent in front of him. 

Take Justin Smith away, and we've seen what happens: their D plays about as well as ours does on an off week because they can't get pressure without him and their secondary gets exposed. Aldon Smith starts playing like Granny Smith. 

So yeah, Goldson would be a starter for us. A wise investment? That's a whole other ballgame.

He's an upgrade as a starter for us, but he's overrated and overpriced. That whole 49ers defense starts with Justin Smith, who does so much to help the LB's, whose plays in turn make life that much easier for the secondary. Goldson's a product of the system and the talent in front of him.

Take Justin Smith away, and we've seen what happens: their D plays about as well as ours does on an off week because they can't get pressure without him and their secondary gets exposed. Aldon Smith starts playing like Granny Smith.

So yeah, Goldson would be a starter for us. A wise investment? That's a whole other ballgame.

I think he'd be a compliment to Vontae Davis. But when healthy, I think our pass rush would be better than the 49ers. We have more than just 2 guys with the same last name

The Niners secondary was not good at all during the playoffs.  They were good during the season, but they fell off the map.  That includes everybody - corners and safeties.  Not sure if that's something to worry about or not.  Also he might be looking for more money than we're willing to shill out for somewhat of an unknown. 

that can be said about pretty much all defenses in the playoffs because they are going up against top tier QBs most of the time.

Don't know much about him besides what I saw in the playoffs. Which was not good at all. They have a really really good front seven which should make the secondary seem better than they are anyways.

If giving the choice I sign reed and draft a safety verses spend big money on one. I guess even then if he panned out better than bethea we could still draft and ship bethea out. It all comes down to $$

The dominos started to fall when Justin Smith got hurt in the regular season...which effected Aldon Smith....which exposed the secondary

Goldson an Unknown? That is so funny.

Bethea a FS? hardly

Over the last 3 years

tackles 345

Int`s. ONE

passes defended 19

2x pro Bowl & 2012 All-Pro Dashon Goldson

Over the last 3 years

tackles 216

Int`s 10

passes defended 25

Never understood when people called bethea a ballhawk.......

When Freeney was at his best (+ or - 2006) Antoine made some nice plays, a few memorable Int.s and passes defended down near the goal line.
Some really good stuff.

We have been so consistently Bad against the Run (Freeney,Mathis) we have needed his GOOD tackling skills in the box.
 I just don`t remember Antoine successfully defending many plays near the sidelines, because of a lack of speed or intuitiveness I don`t know. Solid and durable, he just doesn`t get the turnovers. At $5.75 Million in 2013 for a (FS) kind of an OUCH.

Yet, with much better play by our front seven, those turnovers might come! Its a chess board and I Ain`t no Bobby Fischer, tho i did own and study his book 60 Most Memorable Games. :funny:   :coltslogo:

When Freeney was at his best (+ or - 2006) Antoine made some nice plays, a few memorable Int.s and passes defended down near the goal line.

Some really good stuff.

We have been so consistently Bad against the Run (Freeney,Mathis) we have needed his GOOD tackling skills in the box.

I just don`t remember Antoine successfully defending many plays near the sidelines, because of a lack of speed or intuitiveness I don`t know. Solid and durable, he just doesn`t get the turnovers. At $5.75 Million in 2013 for a (FS) kind of an OUCH.

Yet, with much better play by our front seven, those turnovers might come! Its a chess board and I Ain`t no Bobby Fischer, tho i did own and study his book 60 Most Memorable Games. :funny::coltslogo:

I agree! A better front seven will improve our secondary alone. Kind of like a good secondary could help out pass rush . I start with the front seven cause that helps take away the run and pass.

Goldson is great in coverage, but I think he will be expensive for a S that doesn't really fit the team... I've been on the fence, but I just sort of think that there is enough talent in the draft to get a hard hitting safety on the cheap...

William Moore (ATL) is another guy who seems to be better in coverage, but he forces some fumbles as well, so he might be a better option...

Goldson is a big hitter that can reward us with his aggressiveness or kill us with it. Many Niner fans here (CA) are oblivious to the fact he is a FA... Or they are still caught up in the fact they made it to the super bowl. i would be happy just getting any upgrade in the secondary. but i would love to sign Reed and a corner Williams or DRC and draft Cyprien at #24 

Goldson is great in coverage, but I think he will be expensive for a S that doesn't really fit the team... I've been on the fence, but I just sort of think that there is enough talent in the draft to get a hard hitting safety on the cheap...

William Moore (ATL) is another guy who seems to be better in coverage, but he forces some fumbles as well, so he might be a better option...

I agree, i love both Goldson and Moore as fits for this team. I think Goldson has the better chance of hitting the open market though as Atlanta freed up some money for Moore with all those cuts.

Never understood when people called bethea a ballhawk.......

I'd like to see a stat showing how many of Bethea's INT's have been in the endzone...

His first couple of seasons he seemed to get more interceptions, and even then I dont remember him having tons of them, he just always seemed to get TD saving interceptions in the endzone, at critical times...

The Baltimore playoff game during the superbowl run comes to mind, he doesn't make that INT to save that TD, the Colts don't go on to win the Superbowl...