Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Take chance in 1st on Ansah from BYU?

I think some team will take him in the firs...   and I think most teams will grade him to be a first rounder.

Whether he's the right pick for the Colts, I don't know.   Whether the Colts feel they can gamble on a kid who might not deliver much in his first year,  but might be a Holy Terror by his 2nd or 3rd year,  I don't know.

I'll trust Grigson/Pagano.    But he's an incredibly rare athletic freak, who has barely played the game.   So, his upside is enormous.   He comes from a good back-ground,  he's a very good kid,  he's got a great work ethic...   the arrows are pointed up for his future.

But he still might not be right for the Colts.....

So,  I'll leave it to Grigson/Pagano...       and if he's there at 24 when we pick,  and we take him or pass....   then we'll have our answer....

I will just say we probably will not take Ansah, and not because I do not like him.

As said above he is raw.  On Senior Bowl Week, he really got skilled by the very talented Offensive Linemen, which means the same is likely to happen in his first couple of years/or year in the NFL.  Then we will see what this young man is about....and he WILL be a household name IMO.

One might say we are still in 're-build/retool' mode and we can do this, but the emphasis on making the 3-4 effective makes a more skilled 'now' DE a clearer option.  Again...just my opinion.

Ansah would be an exciting pick. The kind of freak you are looking for.

Next Season ISN`T OUR Year. MANY high drafted 1st year pass rushers do very little in year one.

As I posted recently, look at the two drafted like 11th & 16th ahead of HUGHES at 31.

One of them did some his 2nd year, and all three jumped in year 3.

An Excellent reason to draft a pass rusher NOW.

I have no idea who mocked Ansah as high as #2,  but I'd speculate that anyone who does is not very knowledgable about the draft.

Just my hunch, and not a shot at you, Leon....

i agree, but most mock ive seen actually have him going pretty high

Agreed....   I typically see him somewhere in the upper teens to the upper 20's....

But I haven't seen him as a top-10...

He was mocked as a 2 and in the top 10 in a few others. He was actually impressive in the senior bowl.. He has been mocked to Cleveland, the Lions, the Giants, the Colts and the Cowboys that I have seen.

Ansah would be an exciting pick. The kind of freak you are looking for.Next Season ISN`T OUR Year. MANY high drafted 1st year pass rushers do very little in year one.As I posted recently, look at the two drafted like 11th & 16th ahead of HUGHES at 31.One of them did some his 2nd year, and all three jumped in year 3.An Excellent reason to draft a pass rusher NOW.

I agree. You draft for the future . I would pick him but he won't fall to us,

Ansah's huge upside is that he is a physical freak, 6"5 274lbs and he is a track sprinter. Holy moly. This is the type of athlete we need. Just look at what happened with JPP in New York.

Technique can be tought, raw talent and brute athleticism can't.

If Ansah is our pick then i come away a very happy man. 

These young players from Nigeria, Samoa, Britian, and Australia, etc... should not be faulted for starting football late in life.  We are seeing some freakish athletes that would normally grow up playing soccer or rugby in their homeland and they turn to football in college.  It takes a while to learn the game so they may not produce as big a numbers, but that doesn't mean they won't produce.   Most of them are quite bright in fact and they work hard.  Hakeem Olijuiwan was a soccer goalie growing up.  I saw him play in college where he was good but nowhere near as great as he became.  

These young players from Nigeria, Samoa, Britian, and Australia, etc... should not be faulted for starting football late in life.  We are seeing some freakish athletes that would normally grow up playing soccer or rugby in their homeland and they turn to football in college.  It takes a while to learn the game so they may not produce as big a numbers, but that doesn't mean they won't produce.   Most of them are quite bright in fact and they work hard.  Hakeem Olijuiwan was a soccer goalie growing up.  I saw him play in college where he was good but nowhere near as great as he became.  

Well stated, LockeDown!  We can name some others too.  

I know I stated above I would not pick him.....knowing he will not be there did not hurt :)  

If he did...and we did pick him, we have some really good teachers on this staff.  How else did the likes of Guy, Geathers, and Heard come off of the street to contribute?   :thmup:

Ansah's huge upside is that he is a physical freak, 6"5 274lbs and he is a track sprinter. Holy moly. This is the type of athlete we need. Just look at what happened with JPP in New York.

Technique can be tought, raw talent and brute athleticism can't.

If Ansah is our pick then i come away a very happy man. 

JPP had serious production at a couple small colleges to warrant his pick 

Draft a guy that has produced big not on what a guy could potentially do, production over potential every time, I wouldn't draft him, to many other proven pass rushers that should go ahead of him 

i don't beleive there is any part of the draft that you can say "every time" about.  This player warrants special consideration.  He is an athletic freak and has the potential to become the best pass rusher from this draft or even in the NFL. 

i don't beleive there is any part of the draft that you can say "every time" about.  This player warrants special consideration.  He is an athletic freak and has the potential to become the best pass rusher from this draft or even in the NFL. 

Sure he does but the potential for someone such as Mingo, Montgomery, Okafor. Brandon Jenkins to be that guy is higher, why? Because they have shown the numbers and ability that Ansah just simply has not shown, I would not touch him before the 2nd or 3rd round since Margus Hunt is being looked at the same way... an athletic freak 

Sure he does but the potential for someone such as Mingo, Montgomery, Okafor. Brandon Jenkins to be that guy is higher, why? Because they have shown the numbers and ability that Ansah just simply has not shown, I would not touch him before the 2nd or 3rd round since Margus Hunt is being looked at the same way... an athletic freak 

I think you're not seeing the picture clearly on  Ansah.....

First,  Mingo, Montgomery, Okafor, Jenkins have all played football their entire lives....    Ansah has played football only about 2-3 years.      Huge difference.    The other guys have a clearer ceiling (whatever that is)  Ansah's ceiling is unknown, it could be incredibly high.   And, he may also have a lower floor, he could be a bust.

And Hunt is not being called an athletic freak in the same way as Ansah is....   Hunt is simply huge and massive and strong, but still athletic....

Ansah, is an athletic marvel....   incredibly fast, speedy, the guy runs track...  and he's naturally strong without having done much weight work.    Hunt is also involved in track and field, but as a shot putter or discuss thrower, not as a runner...   again, huge difference.

Look....   I'm not lobbying for Ansah only because I can't get inside Grigson's head.    Will he take a player with his first overall pick (whatever round that is)  that likely won't contribute as much his first year, but might be very good in his 2nd year and all-pro by his 3rd year?     I don't know that answer.....

But too many teams see this guy as worth the first round investment.   Unless something terrible happens in the next two months, this guy will go in the first round,  even if the Colts don't take him.    Too good to pass up.

You may not want to take him in the first,  but I get the sense that he'll be rated as a 1st round pick by far more teams than he's not....

That's the risk-reward ratio that scouts/gm's talk about...   is his ultimate potential worth the possibility that he might not pan out...??

That's why a gm/scouts job is not easy....   jobs are won and lost on this type of decision....

I think you're not seeing the picture clearly on  Ansah.....

First,  Mingo, Montgomery, Okafor, Jenkins have all played football their entire lives....    Ansah has played football only about 2-3 years.      Huge difference.    The other guys have a clearer ceiling (whatever that is)  Ansah's ceiling is unknown, it could be incredibly high.   And, he may also have a lower floor, he could be a bust.

And Hunt is not being called an athletic freak in the same way as Ansah is....   Hunt is simply huge and massive and strong, but still athletic....

Ansah, is an athletic marvel....   incredibly fast, speedy, the guy runs track...  and he's naturally strong without having done much weight work.    Hunt is also involved in track and field, but as a shot putter or discuss thrower, not as a runner...   again, huge difference.

Look....   I'm not lobbying for Ansah only because I can't get inside Grigson's head.    Will he take a player with his first overall pick (whatever round that is)  that likely won't contribute as much his first year, but might be very good in his 2nd year and all-pro by his 3rd year?     I don't know that answer.....

But too many teams see this guy as worth the first round investment.   Unless something terrible happens in the next two months, this guy will go in the first round,  even if the Colts don't take him.    Too good to pass up.

You may not want to take him in the first,  but I get the sense that he'll be rated as a 1st round pick by far more teams than he's not....

That's the risk-reward ratio that scouts/gm's talk about...   is his ultimate potential worth the possibility that he might not pan out...??

That's why a gm/scouts job is not easy....   jobs are won and lost on this type of decision....

Im just a production guy over potential production especially in the 1st kinda guy, I'd rather draft a guy that produced against top competition or sometimes middle of the pack competition over someone who has not produced MUCH against ALOT of what would be considered lower competition, 

Idaho

Utah

Utah State

Idaho State

Washington State

New Mexico State

San Diego State

Now he did play some good competition, Notre Dame(6 tackles in that game in 2012), Boise State(8 tackles and a sack in 2012), Oregon State(3 tackles). so he did perform well during that stretch

The potential is without question there, But given all our needs we still have I dont think there is any way we can afford to draft a guy with our first pick for what he might do given a couple years down the road

Would he be a good fit if we picked up a  FA pass rusher to fill our immediate need, and Ansah as the answer for our future?

We have some good teachers on our staff.....he can be taught...will not be available so it is a moot point....the kid WILL be good in time....we went 11-5 last year...lets win now....not 3 years down the road...Oh...we can win then too....:)

Let's say that for arguement's sake, we did draft Ansah with our first round pick. He will be under the rookie contract. How will this affect our perception of when we expect him to produce:

A) We will want him to produce right away because for the first 4 years he will be relatively cheap and we want him to produce before we have to pay big bucks, if he pans out as we hoped he would.

-OR-

B) We can be patient with him since he's on a relatively cap-friendly rookie contract, and in essense, it's not costing us too much to wait until he developes. If he does develope, then we can pay him accordingly, and if not, it wasn't too much of a risk.

We have some good teachers on our staff.....he can be taught...will not be available so it is a moot point....the kid WILL be good in time....we went 11-5 last year...lets win now....not 3 years down the road...Oh...we can win then too.... :)

out of likes but right with ya Brother now is the time :thmup:

I've seen some pretty good scouts put him as a top 15 pick thanks to his upside, but I don't imagine he'll actually land there. If he falls to us he's definitely a player to give some good consideration. However, given a few exceptions, I feel that we are most likely going to draft an OT or a DT. Most of our positions of need around that picks starts to teeter towards reaching. Some exceptions could be if players like Cooper (OG), Vacarro (SS), or Banks (CB) fell. Even then I only feel sold on Cooper and Vacarro. OT and DT has plenty of players who may land in our range nearly all of whom have great potential. Lance Johnson (OT), D.J. Fluker (OT or OG), Johnathan Hankins (DT), Sheldon Richardson (DT), Jesse Williams (DT), maybe more. NFL.com alone has their mocks all over the place right now and will only begin to shape up more after we learn more about whom teams are interested in, but as for now there seems to be no question to me that those two positions show depth and potential.

out of likes but right with ya Brother now is the time :thmup:

It will be Best Player available....not best project available.....and I think Ansah will in time be a beast.  Pagano needs the defense to improve YESTERDAY....it might have been different if we were 4-12 last year.  We were not...

It will be Best Player available....not best project available.....and I think Ansah will in time be a beast.  Pagano needs the defense to improve YESTERDAY....it might have been different if we were 4-12 last year.  We were not...

Right on ! lol my quota runneth empty

Im just a production guy over potential production especially in the 1st kinda guy, I'd rather draft a guy that produced against top competition or sometimes middle of the pack competition over someone who has not produced MUCH against ALOT of what would be considered lower competition, 

Idaho

Utah

Utah State

Idaho State

Washington State

New Mexico State

San Diego State

Now he did play some good competition, Notre Dame(6 tackles in that game in 2012), Boise State(8 tackles and a sack in 2012), Oregon State(3 tackles). so he did perform well during that stretch

The potential is without question there, But given all our needs we still have I dont think there is any way we can afford to draft a guy with our first pick for what he might do given a couple years down the road

Too be clear....   I'm not saying you're wrong....    and I'm not saying you're right....

I'm only pointing out the difference in philosophy and approach...

For what it's worth....  your view means you would not have drafted Joe Flacco.    Came out of Delaware and started as a rookie.  I'd have to guess that's one of the biggest jumps from college to the pros,  Delaware to the NFL.   I know Flacco is not popular with many around here,  but I'm not one of them.   I'm impressed.

Just a different view of things....

Too be clear....   I'm not saying you're wrong....    and I'm not saying you're right....

I'm only pointing out the difference in philosophy and approach...

For what it's worth....  your view means you would not have drafted Joe Flacco.    Came out of Delaware and started as a rookie.  I'd have to guess that's one of the biggest jumps from college to the pros,  Delaware to the NFL.   I know Flacco is not popular with many around here,  but I'm not one of them.   I'm impressed.

Just a different view of things....

I was impressed during there SB run this year no question and he has had some decent numbers throught his career so far but to answer your question or assumption, Im not sure what it. is but were talking about drafting a guy who has 4.5 sacks in 23 career college career games vs Flacco who had close to 7000 yards passing for his college career while throwing 41 td's and 15 picks in 3 years of college, With that said he was the 18th pick in the 2008 draft and I certainly dont feel comfortable saying he has lived up to that pick, Now of course he has not been a bust and he has been good but 1st round pick good? More to my point, Hey I think Ansah could be very good or even great and even 1st round pick kind of great but I think other linebacker/de's will be available that can be great or good sooner

I was impressed during there SB run this year no question and he has had some decent numbers throught his career so far but to answer your question or assumption, Im not sure what it. is but were talking about drafting a guy who has 4.5 sacks in 23 career college career games vs Flacco who had close to 7000 yards passing for his college career while throwing 41 td's and 15 picks in 3 years of college, With that said he was the 18th pick in the 2008 draft and I certainly dont feel comfortable saying he has lived up to that pick, Now of course he has not been a bust and he has been good but 1st round pick good? More to my point, Hey I think Ansah could be very good or even great and even 1st round pick kind of great but I think other linebacker/de's will be available that can be great or good sooner

Holy Cow.....

Is that what you meant to write?    That you don't feel comfortable saying he's lived up to the pick?    The 18th player taken in the draft has led his team to the playoffs every year and won at least one playoff game every year,  and you're not comfortable saying he's lived up to the pick?

Is that what you meant to write?   Really?    The guy just led his team to the Super Bowl in his 5th year.  And he basically did it last year too,  but his WR dropped the game winning pass.   Not sure what more you want?

Out of every first round draft,  roughly 1/3 turn out to be what the teams hope for.   Roughly 1/3 are busts, and roughly 1/3 are good,  but perhaps not quite as good as the team might've hoped.

And about Flacco's college stats....    they were for Delaware.   Who does Delaware play?    What big regular season games does Delaware play?   What big bowl games does Delaware play.    It's not like he played for Notre Dame, or USC or Alabama.   He played for Delaware.

And you repeatedly ignore Ansah is just learning how to play the game...   so you post his unimpressive stats as if they're supposed to mean the same as the stats for every other player with experience who have been playing the game for 7-10 years...     I don't get that.    

Ansah is just figuring this all out.   A babe in the woods.   A project who will need very good DL coaching.   But if he hits,  he's likely to hit big.   And again,  depending on who drafts him and what they have him do,  he might also be a bust.   I get that....

Remember,  I'm not arguing for the Colts to take Ansah...   I'll trust Grigson's judgement....   I'm just saying there's a powerful argument for taking him....   and it's an argument that I think many NFL teams have bought into....

That's all I'm saying....

Holy Cow.....

Is that what you meant to write?    That you don't feel comfortable saying he's lived up to the pick?    The 18th player taken in the draft has led his team to the playoffs every year and won at least one playoff game every year,  and you're not comfortable saying he's lived up to the pick?

Is that what you meant to write?   Really?    The guy just led his team to the Super Bowl in his 5th year.  And he basically did it last year too,  but his WR dropped the game winning pass.   Not sure what more you want?

Out of every first round draft,  roughly 1/3 turn out to be what the teams hope for.   Roughly 1/3 are busts, and roughly 1/3 are good,  but perhaps not quite as good as the team might've hoped.

And about Flacco's college stats....    they were for Delaware.   Who does Delaware play?    What big regular season games does Delaware play?   What big bowl games does Delaware play.    It's not like he played for Notre Dame, or USC or Alabama.   He played for Delaware.

And you repeatedly ignore Ansah is just learning how to play the game...   so you post his unimpressive stats as if they're supposed to mean the same as the stats for every other player with experience who have been playing the game for 7-10 years...     I don't get that.    

Ansah is just figuring this all out.   A babe in the woods.   A project who will need very good DL coaching.   But if he hits,  he's likely to hit big.   And again,  depending on who drafts him and what they have him do,  he might also be a bust.   I get that....

Remember,  I'm not arguing for the Colts to take Ansah...   I'll trust Grigson's judgement....   I'm just saying there's a powerful argument for taking him....   and it's an argument that I think many NFL teams have bought into....

That's all I'm saying....

Alright I have a question for you regarding Flacco and him living up to his draft status, Take Flacco's best year of 25 td's and 10 picks and ask yourself is this what I expected out of my 1st round pick? to throw for 25 td's (with the rule changes being what they are making the NFL a more QB and wr friendly league) in his 5th year in the league? Heck Russel Wilson has done that already and less picks to with arguably the same type of talent at his disposal, Hey no knock on Flacco he has played well but if his defense was average or heaven forbid what ours has been for the better part of the Manning years then I feel very comfortable saying Flacco would not have sniffed the playoff success he has had, In my opinion with the talent he has around him he should have thrown much much closer to 30-35 TD's in 1 season by now at least, He has stepped it up a notch in the playoffs no question (the whole reason the word elite was brought up with him to begin with because it certainly wasn't because of hid regular season production) Once again take nothing away from Flacco but he had or has one heck of a defense and running back to help