Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did anyone say why SF didnt run their offense

oldunclemark

The 9ers were never as reliant on the pistol or read option as they were made out to be after the Packers proved wholly incapable of handling it in the playoffs.  It's not really their bread and butter like it was with the Redskins (who have superior execution and more variety out of that set).  Besides, the Ravens generally did a good job of shutting down the read option when the 9ers did trot it out.

I agree that they should have run it at least once down the stretch but I think the mismanagement of the clock really knocked them out of rhythm.  They would have been better taking the delay of game than burning one of their final time outs.  I think giving Kaepernick a little more field to work with would have been beneficial, even.

They could have managed the clock better and they could have made some better play calls. Kaepernick was not prepared for some of those blitzes on that possession. And the route combinations were questionable also. There was a lot I didn't like about that possession.

But I think the reason they didn't use their zone read stuff down there is because they didn't want to let the clock run. Questionable decision, for sure, but that's probably why they did what they did.

Harbaugh wanted his "guy with the hotter hand" to win the game for them in the end?

But, with Ngata out there was no excuse not to run it IMO.

The 49ers got outcoached in this game.

& wasn't it  like 3 straight plays to Crabtree , at least try another direction , was surprising to me

I agree witth no  Ngata do something else,. & take advantage of that 

easy to critize though when doesnt work I  guess

Because they probably anticipated the zero blitz by the ravens...and knew they couldn't run the ball in that situation. John Harbaugh has said that he wanted to make Kaepernick beat them with his arm once they were in the red zone.

I thought it was interesting that even if Kaep handed it off to Gore there was an OLB there to basically shove him to the ground. I'd never seen that before.

Teams did that to us until they realized that they couldn't stop Alfred Morris or the pass that way.  The Ravens pulled it off because their three man line was clogging the run lanes extremely well until Ngata went out.

The 49ers struggled to block extra defenders which is why their running game never got going. Nobody runs the ZBS better than Mike Shanahan, and the Redskins were able to consistently get their line moving in unison with so much misdireciton that even penetration into the backfield was not much of a problem.

Last night, the Ravens were able to get into the backfield because, while individually outstanding, the 49ers offensive line doesn't move cohesively when operating out of the pistol. When they were able to move well, they got huge chunks of yardage and generally there were plays ALL over the field that the 49ers were able to make or just miss (Moss was wide open early, but Kaep missed him. They scored some plays later anyway).

They showed far too much respect to Ray Lewis in the passing game. Gore and Davis should've had a field day receiving. I thought SF played too much into Baltimore's defensive strength by playing so many conventional sets- had they run more spread formations, they could've forced Ray into covering Gore or Davis over the middle, and either one would've been a serious mismatch. It also would've created more running lanes for CK. But playing physical ball against Baltimore? They can do that all day, and you'll be the ones KO'd on the canvas. Once SF opened their offense up in the 2nd half, it was a whole different game. It was too late by that point. Why they waited that long to do it, who knows.

Ray was getting beat up by V. Davis all game long.  Ever since Kaepernick took over at qb V. Davis has been a ghost.  I was so surprised they went to him as much as they did in the SB and everytime they did good things happened.  They should have fed him the rock all day long because Ray Ray was getting beat like a mule.

If I were the 49'ers, I would have ran it right at Ray Lewis. No seriously, check out these so called "Ray Lewis highlights." He looks slow, and that arm injury can't help matters either. When you have Vontae Leach as your FB, I-Form that sucker and take Ray out.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/auto/0ap2000000135672/Super-Bowl-XLVII-Ray-Lewis-highlights

Except Leach plays for the Ravens. :P

I thought you were boycotting this game because it wasn't "Super" Enough?

Never said that...

...It was exciting and thrilling.....a wonderful cornocopia of power-outages and big chested halftime divas

But why didnt SF use it offense when it counted?

Is the 'pistol' limited near the goal line?? Re My DY is right on.

Never said that...

...It was exciting and thrilling.....a wonderful cornocopia of power-outages and big chested halftime divas

Probably because they know the Pistol is a gimmick.

i didnt like moving out of the pocket on 2nd down but i understand why they went away from the pistol...ravens were heavy blitzing no way they could have run the ball.

also i think ravens DC figured out that if you really blitzed and didnt allow kaepernick to sit his fade sucked...he did it twice and twice did kaep throw the worst fades i had seen in a while

Never said that...

My question is- What is to read?  Basically Ravens are in a compressed field.  They will line up press man coverage on any split end.  Then bring the house with a cover 0 blitz all the rest to clog all running lanes or get the QB before  a receiver can beat his defender one on one.  Somebody to block that free blitzer was what they needed.

CBF.....

Then the 'pistol' is limited near the goal line...right?

I'm only asking..

What you can do out of the pistol is limited in the same way that what you can do out of the shotgun or from under center is limited that close to the goal line.

Only passing is limited near the goal line...

Under center isnt limited..because you can roll in 2 tight ends, 2 WRs ..and still throw...hand off or sneak...

..and the blitz has less effect on a 7-man line.

Im sure you can pistol with 2 TEs.....I guess I'm asking why didnt SF do that..instead of using a set they dont use 75% of the time?

Because the Ravens shut that down pretty much the whole game. They was going for Kaepernick they wasn't worried about Gore. The were hitting Kaep every chance they got. the OLB's was playing the QB they weren't playing the run so it wasnt nothing to read, your read tells you to hand it off.