Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mail the refs their rings Baltimore

Synthetic

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great breakdown, frame by frame, including a slo-mo of the icident in question. The author comes to the same conclusion as I have. That a determination of off-setting penalties on both players was prudent, though rarely called (if ever for PI), and the best outcome was to let them play and keep the flag holstered. 

A great snap-shot of Crabtree's infraction;
4th_And_Goal_Backside_Angle3.jpg

images.jpg

"Both players were disadvantaged from making a play on the ball because of each other’s conduct. But no foul was called. And this is crucial, and where San Francisco 49ers fans, and Jim Harbaugh, could have a gripe: the dual penalties, as explained per NFL rules above, would have offset and 4th down would have been replayed – which means San Francisco would have had another opportunity to take the lead with a touchdown."

I mentioned much earlier on that if Crabs just allowed the defender to grapple him without returning the physicality in kind, he may well have gotten that call. Crabtree's mistake was to shove Smith aside. Remember, Smith was looking back at the ball as it was in the air, making PI even more unlikely a call here.

As a side-note editorial;

I am often disheartened anymore after many of these exciting finishes in big games. There always seems to be a shadow cast by a large contingent, making accusations of conspiracy collusions, crooked NFL men-in-black making backroom decisions on who wins, terrible calls being the reason team 'X' lost. 

Is it the age we live in? I mean to say, I remember a few decades ago, people would always complain about bad calls etc, but in a far more passive way. With the internet and instant information at our fingertips, this digital culture we live in, EVERY exciting big-game finish is crucified by many as an outrage.

Why do so many suck the wind out of these great games? We got treated to another very exciting SB, yet there is always this stink people wish to waft in our faces afterward. Half the SB's when I was young were like 59-17. Instead of feeling treated to a great game, we split into separate camps and fling poo at each other over these rule semantics etc.

Do we really want a SB to be decided by a possible hit to the helmet (as was mentioned in another thread)?...Do we really not want to see a defender and receiver fighting for the ball? Should their incredible athleticism and skill not be as much of a factor than these semantics over rules?

I wanna see those guys fight. I wanna see them scrap. YES...I want rules in the passing game, but I do not want guys playing like balleraenas or robots. 

I know I'm asking too much, but I wish people would cease with the sore-loser junior forensics detective garbage while trying to ruin what should be a great experience for the fans. 

49ers had many opportunities to win the game, but they did not take advantage of it. It was mostly their fault for not winning this game. However, when I was watching the game, I noticed the refs were pretty one-sided. 

One obvious blatant no call was from the kickoff return for the touchdown. 
http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap2000000135279/Can-t-Miss-Play-Jacoby-Jones-sets-record-with-kickoff-return

If you watch the 1 minute mark of the replay, you can see 2 ravens holding on to #49. This was so obvious and I have no idea why they didn't call it back. I watched this on a 32 inch tv and I was able to see it!

Also, Crabtree gets helmet to helmet on the last drive.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TinDQSUww5U

No offsides on Ed Reed during the 2 pt conversion? 
No holding on that safety? 

In last 5 NFL postseasons (55 gms), officials have thrown only 2 flags for def.holding or def. pass interference in last 2 min. of game.

The players decided the game, preventing a painful reminder of the replacement officials in September. It was appropriate for numerous reasons, none of which will pacify Jim Harbaugh.

"Yes, there's no question in my mind that there was a pass interference (on the previous play) and then a hold on Crabtree on the last one," Harbaugh said.

There was clearly contact between Crabtree and Smith. The idea of a CU cornerback covering anyone is hard to fathom around these parts, but former Buff Smith was on Crabtree like Saran Wrap. He appears to have held Crabtree. By the letter of the law, it was a penalty.

But this officiating crew was not ruling with an iron fist. Hadn't done so the entire game. In the first half, the Ravens' Cary Williams shoved an official during a melee, and stunningly escaped ejection. This drove home the point that the players, not the refs, were the show.

And I am fine with that.

Ask athletes, and their expectation from the on-field police is simple: consistency.

If a low pitch is a strike in the first inning, then it had better be a strike in the ninth inning.

The refs were consistent. Athletes and fans can and should be able to live with this.

In football, a penalty could be called on nearly every play, leaving some officials to get more airtime than the players. It makes for an ugly, clumsy game. This isn't a plea for anarchy. Rules must be enforced, but within reason.

Also, wasn't this the same Niners team that benefited from a no-call in an almost identical situation in the NFC championship game? On fourth-and-4 with the Atlanta Falcons' season hanging in the balance, Matt Ryan fired toward Roddy White. The Niners' NaVorro Bowman prevented the completion. He later told Sports Illustrated that he was "pulling and tugging" on White during the play.

Harbaugh, oddly, didn't bring this up in his news conference.

Read more:Renck: Refs made right move with no-call in Super Bowl - The Denver Posthttp://www.denverpost.com/renck/ci_22519807/troy-e-renck-super-time-no-call-biggest#ixzz2K1KuCOas

I would also point out the deep route drops by both Crabtree and Davis that hit them in the hands. Boldin DID NOT make that mistake. The better team won. 

Oh....and big props to our ostracized ex-HC MR Jim Caldwell for a brilliantly called game. He stomped his SF counterpart in the play-calling department. 

Isn't that Rreg Roman, the OC at Stanford with Jim Harbaugh while Luck was there?  Just before Pep took over?  Yes, props to our beloved Blinky. Great QB coach and offense asst.  Not so much HC though...  ESPN feels otherwise-

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2012/story/_/id/8895241/super-bowl-xlvii-jim-caldwell-get-head-coaching-job

Yes, but the Ravens had more no-calls than the 49ers did. If Vernon Davis had even cast a bad look at the ref I'm sure he would have been flagged or ejected lol but there's a Raven player who even shoved an official. I was going crazy throughout the entire game and especially at the end when they ignored several holds by the Ravens players. But whatever. Game's over now.

I dunno about that, Flacco got hit late out of bounds, and I remember a clear PI in the end zone on one of the ravens WR's where the CB wasn't turned around the whole time, that is an instant PI call any other day, I think it was about even on the no-calls.

I dunno about that, Flacco got hit late out of bounds, and I remember a clear PI in the end zone on one of the ravens WR's where the CB wasn't turned around the whole time, that is an instant PI call any other day, I think it was about even on the no-calls.

Different "NFL analyst" have different opinions on this - some says because he is running he is fair game, which a push like that happens often to receivers, running back etc. 

Some says that could have been a call. 

I do agree with letting the players decides games. and yes 49ers missed  a lot of opportunities. So did the Ravens - the fake Punt  - 3 Pts.

The botched kick off.  The fumble. Allowing 49ers score 14 points in less than 4 minutes.

Both teams played equally great and sloppy at times....and it came down to one play ONE...which was decided by the refs.

If you are going to call a tight game- call it on both teams, if you are going to let them play, let both teams play.

At the end of the day, it was a great game. Unacceptable that in the biggest event...there was a 38 minute delay due to power outage.

I don't know about rigged, but I would say that the game was very poorly officiated. They barely had control of the players in the first half. (A Raven player did shove a ref and there was no flag/ejection). Holding no-calls, PI no-calls, for both sides, along with the outage gave me a bad taste in my mouth afterwards.

Fans have always complained the refs are involved too much.  So this group of officials (known to call the least amount of penalties of all ref groups in tghe NFL) allows the players to 'play' all game, we fans then point out calls weren't being made unless it was egregious?  There is no pleasing us. We fans are a fickle lot...  with tinted lenses in our glasses. ;)

Different "NFL analyst" have different opinions on this - some says because he is running he is fair game, which a push like that happens often to receivers, running back etc. 

Some says that could have been a call.

yes since he was running out of the pocket he was a runner, also i dont believe he was fully out of bounds, and u cant let up in that situation, didnt earlier in the game he do the same thing running towards the sidelines and chuck the ball down field and have it caught by a WR?

there's a Raven player who even shoved an official.

I really want to see a complete review of that entire interaction - I seen it once and after thought before he jumped up to shove the ref that it looked like he was throwing punches on the ground on top of a niner player.

yes since he was running out of the pocket he was a runner, also i dont believe he was fully out of bounds, and u cant let up in that situation, didnt earlier in the game he do the same thing running towards the sidelines and chuck the ball down field and have it caught by a WR?

I've seen it fairly consitent by all ref crews that if the QB is a running type, (RG3 ,Vick, Kaep, etc...) they will allow hits to the QB even if he is imminently going out of bounds.  Likely because these guys can stop on a dime and possibly cut back for more big yards.  On non mobile QB's, they will typically flag a hit even if the foot of the QB is in the air and hasn't quite landed on the white stripe yet as he is imminentlty going out of bounds.  And almost always will a hit with a QB's foot down and on the white stripe draw a flag.  This is regular season though. This ref crew and the game being a Super bowl will make it less likely to be called unless it is a blatant foul.

no, if u hold while win the endzone it just results in a safety anyway

Hmm, forgot a smiley thingy, and besides, that's best thing, not worst.  Point is, smart play because throwing a flag doesn't stop the clock like a delay or procedure penalty.  So why not 'buy' time by holding there if the end result is same?  Since clock was stopped and Ravens were leading they couldn't get an automatic 10 second runoff because of an O penalty in the last 2 minutes.  

Yes, which would change what, exactly? ;) (there, I didn't forget it this time! lol)

would have changed nothing, i think ppl are upset because its a poor way to go out at the end of a superbowl, its smart on the teams part, but fans want to see an exciting last play, not a team holding and taking a safety to lack up a superbowl

would have changed nothing, i think ppl are upset because its a poor way to go out at the end of a superbowl, its smart on the teams part, but fans want to see an exciting last play, not a team holding and taking a safety to lack up a superbowl

Good point.  What they wanted was a play like Miracle in the Meadowlands where a team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. lol. More games are 'lost' than won.  Older bro Harbaugh wasn't going to lose this one.  Don't give them a chance at a decent return and a hail Mary, let alone a blocked kick, from a contested punt out of the end zone.  Uncontested free kick from the twenty was the way to go.  No other rational way.

Good point.  What they wanted was a play like Miracle in the Meadowlands where a team snatches defeat from the jaws of victory. lol. More games are 'lost' than won.  Older bro Harbaugh wasn't going to lose this one.  Don't give them a chance at a decent return and a hail Mary, let alone a blocked kick, from a contested punt out of the end zone.  Uncontested free kick from the twenty was the way to go.  No other rational way.

ill admit, i thought it was a rather bush league way to end a game, and as a fan i would have liked to see a more exciting finish, especially how it was so poorly officiated, and we had to sit thru a 30 min blackout, but what are u gona do, they took win, thats what any team would have done there

but instead it ended on a ticky tack no call which i believe was clearly holding, and they they took a safety which another huge holding call was missed...

If the refs called holding on the safety play, it wouldn't have mattered. San Fran would still have gotten the 2 points, time would have (by rule) come off the clock, and the Ravens would have had the free kick anyway.

The game CAN end on an offensive penalty too, just FYI.

And it's neither here nor there, but I would rather see it end on a NON-call, like it did, than on a marginal defensive holding call. That would have epitomized the way the league has been over-officiating games for going on a decade now. If it's a blatant penalty then call it, but I don't know anyone (aside from Jim Harbaugh) who thought that was really that blatant.

Even if there was holding on that play it didn't matter, it was a safety, it was a smart move to hold, what is the worst that can happen?

Yes, it was a smart move to hold. What bothered be was the Refs' didn't make an effort to at least call it! The game is STILL going on, and I don't get why they didn't just call it...

I really want to see a complete review of that entire interaction - I seen it once and after thought before he jumped up to shove the ref that it looked like he was throwing punches on the ground on top of a niner player.

I remember seeing punches getting thrown too. Strangely enough, no ejections....

So if we don't like the outcome of a game now then it's rigged? Got it.

Well then, the Super Bowl vs. the Saints was rigged too. They had to win for Katrina and we were rendered helpless against that feel good story. Forget that we did not execute in key moments, it was RIGGED!!!!!!! Give us our rings. Or better yet give the Vikings the NFC title!!!!!!! Was that 2 point conversion near the end of the game really good by the Saints? Did they really recover the onside kick? Lets speculate!!!!!

See how ridiculous this all can sound? We have lost our fair share of big games as well with some bad calls. And some calls that helped us. But, IMO I would prefer they let guys PLAY in big games too. Why decide games with the refs? Jesus.......why are NFL fans become such conspiracy theorists? I don't think we are nearly as bad as the NBA where FTs can single handedly win or lose a game for a team and guys like Lebron/Durant often get elite treatment.

I admit, I get carried away at times too complaining with the NFC east praise and some big markets. But, I don't think they rig those games. If things were really rigged then wouldn't a star QB like Manning or Brady had gotten MVP this year or at least offensive player of the year too?

Besides, if you wanted to be really picky couldn't they have called holding on the Giants o line in the Super Bowl vs. the Patriots when Eli escaped the grasp? No they didn't. Why? They let them play. I am sure if the refs wanted to they could have given the Pats 19-0 but they didn't.

As a side-note editorial;

I am often disheartened anymore after many of these exciting finishes in big games. There always seems to be a shadow cast by a large contingent, making accusations of conspiracy collusions, crooked NFL men-in-black making backroom decisions on who wins, terrible calls being the reason team 'X' lost. 

Is it the age we live in? I mean to say, I remember a few decades ago, people would always complain about bad calls etc, but in a far more passive way. With the internet and instant information at our fingertips, this digital culture we live in, EVERY exciting big-game finish is crucified by many as an outrage.

Why do so many suck the wind out of these great games? We got treated to another very exciting SB, yet there is always this stink people wish to waft in our faces afterward. Half the SB's when I was young were like 59-17. Instead of feeling treated to a great game, we split into separate camps and fling poo at each other over these rule semantics etc.

Do we really want a SB to be decided by a possible hit to the helmet (as was mentioned in another thread)?...Do we really not want to see a defender and receiver fighting for the ball? Should their incredible athleticism and skill not be as much of a factor than these semantics over rules?

I wanna see those guys fight. I wanna see them scrap. YES...I want rules in the passing game, but I do not want guys playing like balleraenas or robots. 

I know I'm asking too much, but I wish people would cease with the sore-loser junior forensics detective garbage while trying to ruin what should be a great experience for the fans. 

Yep I remember those lopsided SBs.

Parity has probably helped.

This SB was a great game...in football terms.:)

We can't see all the X's and O's on TV but I saw SF with a lot of miscues and Baltimore didn't make them and in fact capitalized on SF's.

Low and behold watching NFLN last night they were telestrating a lot of plays and SF did in fact have a lot of mistakes.

Oh and for those who said Suggs did nothing that was because he was assigned to shadow the outside runner. That was the game plan. while the rest of the front seven held the line.  It was actually a good game plan against SF because the pistol misfired:)

People complain about the last play for SF...what about the other 59.5 minutes. They don't count.

And still it was a close game.

If you are a fan of football no way does that game fall short. And this from a fan who lost to the Ravens in the PO;-)

They made sure they sent both of them out the door with a ring. The 2005 Steelers were totally out matched in that game. They would have lost that Super Bowl 21-14 if the refs didn't totally screw over Seattle. Tonight I have seen enough to confirm my suspicions that the NFL wanted to send Lewis out with another ring. The Niners got screwed really bad on that 4th and goal play. Well all night long to be exact, the Ravens got away with holding

Blah!!!!   

I am so freaking upset, I cannot think straight. 

Yes, the 49ers was a no show during the first half - I waived the white flag. 

But they were right in the game; 5 freaking yards.  Bad play calls and bad no calls :(

Missed offsides by Ed Reed

5 yard penalty when it should have been 15 yard..1st down.

Jules - Today proved that Kaepernick is more than just a fancy QB.. The kid impressed me. The 49ers were getting punched and he punched right back.  He is a great QB and what an arm and accuracy. 

NO PI called on the Ravens.  Really?

I think the biggest tragedy of this game was I had to see Beyoncé shake her privates on my tv for at least 20 minutes and trying to turn on most of America in some strange lingerie looking dominatrix leotard. And then have to see/hear that awful Charlie Angels song from that movie many years ago about being an independent woman who buys her own bling.

:facepalm:

Bogie, the officiating in the Seattle 2005 SB at Ford Field was so atrocious...

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/08/06/four-years-later-bill-leavy-apologizes-to-seahawks/

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/oconnor/2006-02-06-oconnor-xl_x.htm

“I didn’t think we would have to play the guys in the striped shirts as well” HC Mike Holmgren, Seahawk’s rally, February 5th, 2005. 

JJcolts, CK & the offense looked lackluster in the 1st half & did nothing to take control of the game. I agree 100%. CK is a franchise QB too. Well said! 

Jules, I agree Beyonce did not impress me at all. Highly overrated. Get someone who can sing & perform never year please. Studio protected musicians royally tick me off. My LIVE performances standards are exceptionally high & Beyonce did not deliver...Pathetic & who did the microphone sound check? Anybody? When she was joined by "Destiny's Child" her two sidekicks sounded awful IMO...

BTW I wonder if the 49ers get the dreaded Super Bowl loss hangover next season. Might be more likely with a young QB. Never thought NE would have one, they had already lost a SB/knew what it felt like and have enough veteran leadership.

Okay, I'm through venting now about 2005 & the infamous Mike Vanderjagt. Thanks for letting me get that out of my system...I'm better now.  haha Kickers...Love 'em, Hate 'em, & I want to strangle 'em sometimes...Sigh...

Maybe their professional life is just a Lucy & Charlie Brown routine...I don't know...

charlie-brown-kicking.png?w=600

BTW I wonder if the 49ers get the dreaded Super Bowl loss hangover next season. Might be more likely with a young QB. Never thought NE would have one, they had already lost a SB/knew what it felt like and have enough veteran leadership.

Actually, I'd be more worried about media distractions & complacency on Baltimore's side. San Fran has got to the NFC Championship Game in 2012, the SB in 2013,...The drive to win doesn't disappear when your team was so close to hoisting a  :lombardi: above their head. 1 TD & the 49ers are hosting a victory parade in the Golden Gate Bridge city instead if this minor consolation prize...

http://youtu.be/EcFPyNskRWk