Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Curtis Painter

hurricane1122

I think Painter should be the starter for the first month or so of the season to give collins time to get used to the offense. First of all, Colts need to run the no huddle offense which Collins clearly can not do and Painter can. Also, Painter is more mobile than collins which is important because the pocket is going to collapse (like it often did yesterday). I know Painter has been horrible but I think the logical thing to do would be to start the QB who knows the playbook. Throwing to Wayne every play (like collins did yesterday) looks great for fantasy football but it wont win games.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Painter should be the starter for the first month or so of the season to give collins time to get used to the offense. First of all, Colts need to run the no huddle offense which Collins clearly can not do and Painter can. Also, Painter is more mobile than collins which is important because the pocket is going to collapse (like it often did yesterday). I know Painter has been horrible but I think the logical thing to do would be to start the QB who knows the playbook. Throwing to Wayne every play (like collins did yesterday) looks great for fantasy football but it wont win games.

You will not get many supporters, however, I do agree. Even if it is just for the next few games... Painter did his thing against Green Bay (You know, the SB champs). He audibled, ran out of EVERY formation, and has a pretty quick release and pocket awareness (it is improving). While it was only one game, he played very well VS Green Bay. I thought for sure he'd get some time in garbage time but Caldwell decided to build momentum into next week.

I agree... The only thing i differ on is I think Painter should start the whole season until his play in too bad and they need to change. Collins is missing one big thing about the offese...how to take a snap!! And half of his passes were overthrows. Idk if it was as much of not knowing the offense or just beiing horrible. I mean you dont have to know the offense to not over throw Garcon by 10 yards every play,especially the wide open TD!

I hope he improves next week... I mean, he cant do worse

You will not get many supporters, however, I do agree. Even if it is just for the next few games... Painter did his thing against Green Bay (You know, the SB champs). He audibled, ran out of EVERY formation, and has a pretty quick release and pocket awareness (it is improving). While it was only one game, he played very well VS Green Bay. I thought for sure he'd get some time in garbage time but Caldwell decided to build momentum into next week.

yea he did look solid against green bay as a game manager. I dont see painter having back to back fumbles backed up against his own end zone. The defense had no chance to stop the texans on either of those drives. If he throws interceptions on the other side of the 50 it atleast gives the defense a chance. I was convinced we would see Painter start after halftime but the colts coaches clearly do not believe in executing in game adjustments.

Audibled! a very important thing Collins is obviously clueless about!! dont u think a QB that knows anything about a blocking scheme would have not left Dallas trying to block Super mario by himself...twice?? ANY tight end vs Mario Williams= a sack... Thats common sense!

Green Bay didn't play us in the preseason the way they played New Orleans opening night. They might not have even had a game plan in place and even then they were fairly conservative. So Painter leading the team to a "lead" in a meaningless preseason game isn't a feather in the cap.

Painter still has the pocket awareness of Ray Charles and while he's more mobile than Collins, Collins was still the best we could put on the field at that point.

I'm still amazed at the people think that we would have been within 4td's of the Packers in a real game with Painter playing if it were a regular season game.

Audibled! a very important thing Collins is obviously clueless about!! dont u think a QB that knows anything about a blocking scheme would have not left Dallas trying to block Super mario by himself...twice?? ANY tight end vs Mario Williams= a sack... Thats common sense!

Agree x 100%. The problem with that is Clark was TOLD to block Mario by the coaching staff (even after it obviously did not work) because they know Collins will not audible and does not have a quick release. Dalls is a run-blocker and pass-catcher. He is not a pass protector who needs to take on Pro Bowl DE/OLB's rushing full steam standing up.

Well i doubt the colts will sit collins after paying him so much which was ridiculously stupid in the first place... I think the fact that bill polian knew this guy that is one of the reasons the colts got him... seriously some things need to change on this team.

"Painter for Quarterback" That's what my bumpersticker says. Think about it. Colts are paying Collins millions of dollars to be a Colt for ONE year. Why not invest in the future of the franchise by playing Painter, so he'll be ready when Peyton retires?? Painter would play as good or better than Collins. No one will ever be able to fill Peyton's shoes, but let Peyton mentor Painter. Begin building the next Colts quarterback, and not wait until Peyton is gone to start looking. Collins may have more experience, but Painter has more potential.

yea he did look solid against green bay as a game manager. I dont see painter having back to back fumbles backed up against his own end zone. The defense had no chance to stop the texans on either of those drives. If he throws interceptions on the other side of the 50 it atleast gives the defense a chance. I was convinced we would see Painter start after halftime but the colts coaches clearly do not believe in executing in game adjustments.

I dont see painter having back to back fumbles backed up against his own end zone....WRONG

Last game Painter played. Colts v.s. Jets 2009 last home game. There i was pulling my hair out in section 216, row 1, seat 12. Yes he had back to back fumbles..

Does it really matter "whom" we play at QB?

Not when you give him 1.9 and 1.8 seconds to throw the ball like someone else pointed out in another thread when they said they timed it out. Peyton Manning was going to get sacked on most of those plays. When Collins had time he looked good yesterday. Yes he had some timing issues but that's going to come when he gets more work with the offense. The biggest problem night is we have to figure out a way to make sure Collins has more time to throw the ball when we want to throw it.

Why not invest in the future of the franchise by playing Painter, so he'll be ready when Peyton retires?? Painter would play as good or better than Collins. No one will ever be able to fill Peyton's shoes, but let Peyton mentor Painter. Begin building the next Colts quarterback, and not wait until Peyton is gone to start looking. Collins may have more experience, but Painter has more potential.

thanks for the chuckle....Painter is not the QB of the future. I suppose if you're going to lose 34-7 it doesn't really matter if you play Painter or Collins as a loss is a loss. But please, most likely Painter will never be the 1st choice of the Colts or any other team.

If the Colts thought he was the QB of the future, why not play him (as he is working on his 3rd year in the system) vs Collins who has barely had 3 weeks in it??

Does it really matter "whom" we play at QB?

I think it does, collins doesnt even look like he cares i only saw the guy look at the printout sheet like once and the rest of the time he was just there standing on the sidelines just staring into lah lah land. Collins has no awarness and his release scares me everytime he throws the ball. Id rather see painter out there, this is the same line he played behind in the preseason, same WR's. BUT i do hope that collins steps his game up... if he doesnt in the browns game then he doesnt deserve to be the starter.

I dont see painter having back to back fumbles backed up against his own end zone....WRONG

Last game Painter played. Colts v.s. Jets 2009 last home game. There i was pulling my hair out in section 216, row 1, seat 12. Yes he had back to back fumbles..

.. with backup lineman and receivers and RB's. Let the kid play with the starters and Im willing to bet he would of done better than Collins did for us. He atleast can run our offense and knows the playbook. Let kerry sit and learn the system for a few weeks longer then bring him in if Painter does horrible which I dont think he would be at this rate.

"Painter for Quarterback" That's what my bumpersticker says. Think about it. Colts are paying Collins millions of dollars to be a Colt for ONE year. Why not invest in the future of the franchise by playing Painter, so he'll be ready when Peyton retires?? Painter would play as good or better than Collins. No one will ever be able to fill Peyton's shoes, but let Peyton mentor Painter. Begin building the next Colts quarterback, and not wait until Peyton is gone to start looking. Collins may have more experience, but Painter has more potential.

Painter is not the future of this team. Never has been, never will be. He was drafted to replace Sorgi, period. He was cheap to keep as the front office once again gambled Peyton would not get hurt. Snake eyes for Polian. They were hoping to not have to deal with Peyton's replacement this soon. He is not better than Collins. By week 3 Collins will have Painter looking like a backup, and I am not a Collins fan, but it what it is. Some things are true whether you believe it or not.

Whoever said Painter is our future? Really? Sorry he is not our future. He won't be a star in the NFL, he will always be a backup. There are many QB's and backup QBs that are way better then Painter. I would like to go into the draft next year and get our future young QB. As of Collins, I am going to give him a few more games. It was not all of his fault yesterday. I don't know why everyone is putting the blame all on Collins yesterday? I don't think Collins will light it up this year, he is no Manning. But he is better then Painter and he is the best that we have since Manning is out.

he had some mis-reads and confused looks in the GB game as well. I sure wouldn't want him running my offense if I were clyde christiansen. I think the defense would come at him like banchees.

I think it does, collins doesnt even look like he cares i only saw the guy look at the printout sheet like once and the rest of the time he was just there standing on the sidelines just staring into lah lah land. Collins has no awarness and his release scares me everytime he throws the ball. Id rather see painter out there, this is the same line he played behind in the preseason, same WR's. BUT i do hope that collins steps his game up... if he doesnt in the browns game then he doesnt deserve to be the starter.

Maybe the coaches, offensive line, WR/RB's and others need to step it up. Maybe he had a look of looking out into Lah Lah Land because he had been crushed. He has how many weeks to learn the system? Sorry but putting Painter back there isn't going to change the result. We all need to wake up and face it, the QB is not the reason we got thumped.

I like this forum, We need someone in there that knows the playbook and can audible. Of course our only good picture of painter was during the GB game. But GB is not an easy team to get yards against(look at New Orleans vs Greenbay) a High caliber offense that was fighting from behind the whole game. So I say give Painter a Few snaps or maybe even a Half

Maybe the coaches, offensive line, WR/RB's and others need to step it up. Maybe he had a look of looking out into Lah Lah Land because he had been crushed. He has how many weeks to learn the system? Sorry but putting Painter back there isn't going to change the result. We all need to wake up and face it, the QB is not the reason we got thumped.

Ummm yes it is? did you onot see the game? collins lost the ball twice resulting in 14 points... add that to him holding the ball too long and you have your problem right there. painter is used to the line and gets the ball out much faster, when he's on the sideline he at least looks like he's doing something not day dreaming unlike collins... this is collins first game but that wasnt his first week under center.. does anyone ever remember how grossman had trouble with handling the ball under center? thats how collins looked.. hopefully he gets better but if he doesnt painter needs to get in there because from where i sit he is better all around, ppl talked about collins accuracy being a problem and fans saw it on sunday... ie the pass to garcon in the redzon.

Not when you give him 1.9 and 1.8 seconds to throw the ball like someone else pointed out in another thread when they said they timed it out. Peyton Manning was going to get sacked on most of those plays. When Collins had time he looked good yesterday. Yes he had some timing issues but that's going to come when he gets more work with the offense. The biggest problem night is we have to figure out a way to make sure Collins has more time to throw the ball when we want to throw it.

well said. I dont think we will win many games if Collins has to throw the ball 25 plus times a game. We need to run the ball alot more. Collins also needs not to hold on to the ball as long as he does imo.

ppl talked about collins accuracy being a problem and fans saw it on sunday... ie the pass to garcon in the redzon.

The image of Collins holding the ball and kinda pumping his arm as if to load his throw with just the right touch, is stuck in my head. He betrayed his own instinct by not just letting it fly, as he did earlier when he threw a perfect pass to Garçon at the 5 yard line, hitting Garçon directly in the hands, ultimately dropped by Garçon.

Lets give the man some time. Losing our patience and playing musical QB's only stands to compound a difficult situation.

Pulling Collins right now and injecting Painter could be a death nail to the team if that too fails, as it likely would. If we did this and Painter performed as bad, or worse, then we have a disgruntled Collins, who was brought here out of retirement.

I'm not advocating that we live and die by Collins to the bitter end. But the decision was made to bring him in, so we should stick with him long enough to truly measure him.

There were signs of potential for Collins to operate effectively. If we could not say this then I would agree with pulling him.

The image of Collins holding the ball and kinda pumping his arm as if to load his throw with just the right touch, is stuck in my head. He betrayed his own instinct by not just letting it fly, as he did earlier when he threw a perfect pass to Garçon at the 5 yard line, hitting Garçon directly in the hands, ultimately dropped by Garçon.

Lets give the man some time. Losing our patience and playing musical QB's only stands to compound a difficult situation.

Pulling Collins right now and injecting Painter could be a death nail to the team if that too fails, as it likely would. If we did this and Painter performed as bad, or worse, then we have a disgruntled Collins, who was brought here out of retirement.

I'm not advocating that we live and die by Collins to the bitter end. But the decision was made to bring him in, so we should stick with him long enough to truly measure him.

There were signs of potential for Collins to operate effectively. If we could not say this then I would agree with pulling him.

I like Painter more than many fans, but I agree completely. Collins needs to play as long as the team has a chance of making the playoffs. If we hit 8 losses and Peyton is on the IR, than you start Painter the rest of the season. At that point the only thing that matters is the future, so you might as well give Painter a real opportunity before the draft rolls around. If nothing else the team would probably rally around him and have something to play for besides pride. Playing out the string with Collins would just be depressing.

I like Painter more than many fans, but I agree completely. Collins needs to play as long as the team has a chance of making the playoffs. If we hit 8 losses and Peyton is on the IR, than you start Painter the rest of the season. At that point the only thing that matters is the future, so you might as well give Painter a real opportunity before the draft rolls around. If nothing else the team would probably rally around him and have something to play for besides pride. Playing out the string with Collins would just be depressing.

Agree wholeheartedly. Once mathematically eliminated, there would be no cause for sticking with an old QB as opposed to a vested young player. Personally I think Painter will get his chance soon because I got this sick feeling that Collins will get hurt soon i.e. the decision will be made for the coaching staff.

One foot in the gutter, one fist in the goal. Where is this team going? Nobody knows. (Hey cool that rhymed!)

Imo the browns game is a must win.

Imo the browns game is a must win.

From a mathematic standpoint, no it isn't. We could still finish 14-2. lol...but the reality is if we have any chance at a post season, we must win against all lower tier scheduled opponents such as this week 2 match-up.

No disrespect intended toward Browns fans, but we should be better than you, even without Manning.

IMHO, Collins should have been brought in as a backup and mentor-type for Painter and Painter should be the starter. It is his team when Peyton is not here. That is no knock at all to Kerry, just a defense for Curtis.

He knows the offense, the playbook, the players and he is the one that the 1st team played with all pre-season and what bit of TC they had.

I was left scratching my head at the Collins-start thing.

:dunno:

IMHO, Collins should have been brought in as a backup and mentor-type for Painter and Painter should be the starter. It is his team when Peyton is not here. That is no knock at all to Kerry, just a defense for Curtis.

He knows the offense, the playbook, the players and he is the one that the 1st team played with all pre-season and what bit of TC they had.

How quickly people forget why Collins was brought here in the first place. Outside of the Packers game Painter has been nothing short of awful. Look at the Packers game vs. the Saints and while I understand Drew Brees is one of the elite QBs in the NFL part of Painter's success could be that the Packers are not that great in pass defense. Had Painter played decent other than that game we would have never gone out and gotten Painter but the fact remains he has struggled very very badly which is why the Colts felt like they had to make a move. Honestly if the Colts thought Painter was going to give them a better chance to win they would have him out there.

You did see the play where garcon pull a double move on a CB and he was wide open but collins over threw him right? i cant say i remember garcon dropping a ball butlike you said its a 5yd pass ehh.... With time collins might perfoem better no doubt about that, but what anylyst said about him are true as well, the guy is a slow starter and isnt scared to hold on to the ball or throw the ball away. there's 16 games if collins cant perform better in the browns game then there needs to be some talk about painter seeing some time... ppl need to remember that collins lost his job last year so he very well may be on the decline

Yeah but knowing the playbook doesn't help if the ball doesn't get there. I think it's more likely to get caught if Collins is throwing.

I don't think the Colts must run the no huddle. It's certainly an advantage when you can run the no huddle and prevent the defense from making subs and getting match ups that give them the upper hand, but I don't think we must run it. We just need better execution on the fundamentals. Better tackling, better blocking, simple things like that. We don't need to complicate the playbook to confuse defenses, we need to do the basic things properly. From what Diem said, the entire Colts offense was surprised at how much Collins was able to pick up in just 17 days. Give Collins another week in practice, more time to study the playbook, more time to get the timing down with the WRs and let's see how he does in week 2. I don't think we need Painter yet.

Can anybody tell me what's wrong with playing Painter instead of Collins? I think Painters performance in the preseason was very good. Plus the fact that he knows the offensive scheme. I AGREE !! Painter should be getting the most PT these days, he's earned it. Besides, the way that game went down yesterday let alone the game in Cincinnati, I would feel a whole lot more comfy with Painter out there than Collins.

Can I get a witness !!!!!!!!!???????

Well I can understand what your saying and he was the back-up to Peyton but it looks as though the FO didn't feel that he could be the starter since Peyton couldn't play. The only time I saw him in a half way decent game was the Packers pre-season game. He should know the play book better than Collins he has had 3 years. I don't think he would have done any better than Collins or anyone in yesterdays game the way the rest of the team played.

All the posters that want him to play may get their chance (be careful what you wish for) because another game like yesterday Collins will probably be on the injured list. Then Painter can prove that he is indeed a NFL QB.

Also I would think that the other reason Collins is starting is because you don't pay a player what they paid Collins to sit on the bench. They could have kept Orlovsky to do that a whole lot cheaper. lol

they just blitzed us like crazy...and who isn't going to with us having a new O-line and a QB who was going to be retired a couple of weeks ago.......