Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Wish Manning Would Just Take A Snap To Continue The Streak?

Blue Horseshoe

Take a Token Snap  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Take a token snap to continue the streak

• Yes
    • No

The point is that the streak is a useless 'stat', and if he came in for a series just to prolong it, it goes against any justification that the Colts ever gave for why they sit starters at the end of the year...including why they gave up on the greatest team record of all just a few seasons ago.

It has nothing to do with 'respecting' the game. The game wont be disrespected if Peyton wants to keep his individual record going. But if the organization truly worries about injuries (even though in the past they've let starters play long enough to get their individual milestones before yanking them out)then it wont even be up for discussion. It would completely undermine the credibility of the streak.

yes and yes

personally, i feel it would weaken other fans views of him as a QB,

but seriously, i would be happy if it was 1 snap,

id even be happier, if he were able to some how play 1 quarter per game for 5 games,

instead of sitting out 4 games,

or even leading a scoring drive, i think that will make a statement on its own

Is Lou Gehrig's streak tainted?

That's a really tough question - and I agree with many of the other responses concerning it. Superficially the thought of him playing briefly JUST to extend the streak would bother me.

What I don't know is if he played in the field or not. A half inning playing defense would legitimize it substantially in my mind. Moreover if memory serves, you said he was replaced by a pinch runner. That suggests that he actually got on base, and didn't just stand at home plate limply, take three strikes, and crawl back to the dugout. It he could reach base, that removes the doubt in my mind. If he contributed to his teams efforts than by definition he wasn't just in there for personal gain.

There's absolutely no way he does it, but I wouldn't mind if he did.

IF he did (which, like I said won't happen) the media would eat him alive, for whatever reason.

The media would eat him alive because it would show that the Colts are more concerned with individual records than they are with team accolades...and thats not 'pc' anymore in todays world of professional athletics.

If I was a team doctor, I wouldn't clear him in the first place. While it's rare, I have seen times where a DT gets such a great jump at the snap that he meets the QB and RB right as the ball is being handed off. The other rare, but still possibility, is Manning gets stepped on by a lineman pulling away from center. It's really not worth the risk for a streak that most would frown on anyway. IF, and this is a big if, if Manning were in position to actually break it with this one handoff, I'd say maybe, but he's still quite a ways away from the record that it's simply not worth his his own well being, even away from football.

I voted No, because that be Favre like, and well Peyton shown he plays to win not just for his own glory. And this is from a pats fan :)

Even Favre didn't pull something cheap like this when he was actually too hurt to play. He sat out, the backup started, and his streak came to an end.

No way he takes a "token" snap. I still have a little hope that he will play, but the streak up to this point was awesome and shown without a doubt, he is a very tough guy. Broken jaw didn't keep him out, that hit in the redskins game year of sb run.. Still remember him coming back from that and bombing three more tds deep! If he is out, he had a good run...

I don't want him to, but you do present a valid point in stating that the Colts have him essentially do the same thing near the end of seasons when the Colts have already locked up a playoff spot - different circumstances, but it's the same result (meaningless snap to preserve the streak).

After a playoff spot is secured I would expect him to play the opening drive, just to stay sharp, but if all he does is to go out and just take one snap to continue the streak, that would be wrong.

Nobody loves Peyton more than I do, but he has a long, long way to go to catch Favre anyway. Maybe it is a good thing he will no longer have that added pressure to try to break that record.

And I have never heard where Peyton went back on his word in anything like this. He said he would not, and he won't. If by a miracle he does start, and then has to come out, I hope people won't say he went back on his word.

I think Collins will start Sunday. And I for one am expecting a win! The Texans are going to think they will have it easy. I hope the Colts rally and show them a thing or two!

If Manning did that and if the team would allow him to do that I would lose all respect for both of them.

It would completely slap the game itself in the face. It would be completely disrespectful towards the game and everyone who came before him.

Thankfully Manning would not do something like this. Watching the team play Wayne and Clark so they can get their catches against Buffalo though I think if he did ask to do it then they would allow him to do it.

The selfish part of me says just 1 snap Peyton. The realist in me knows that it wouldn't be right! Peyton is a classy man, he does the right thing. People who don't like Peyton only do so because he is great at QB, he is humble, he is a leader, and most of all he useally beats there favorite team! So if Peyton does take a snap to continue a streak, the people who do not like him have a reason to hate on him and slander a great man. Peyton will have a lot of records when he retires and will be at a lot of games when his records are broken, when he is a old man. So all I really want is for Peyton to get healthy and help this Colt team make another run at a Super Bowl in the greatest city of all time! Go Colts Go Blue!!!