Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do You Wish Manning Would Just Take A Snap To Continue The Streak?

Blue Horseshoe

Take a Token Snap  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Take a token snap to continue the streak

• Yes
    • No

I know he said he didn't want to out of respect for the history of the game but what about the token snaps he takes at the end of the year when the team just gives up and puts out the 2nd team? Personally I think taking a snap on opening day shows a lot more respect for the game than the stuff they pull every year when they they rest all of their marquee players, especially when they quit on a chance at a perfect season.

Guest BlueShoe

I know he said he didn't want to out of respect for the history of the game but what about the token snaps he takes at the end of the year when the team just gives up and puts out the 2nd team? Personally I think taking a snap on opening day shows a lot more respect for the game than the stuff they pull every year when they they rest all of their marquee players, especially when they quit on a chance at a perfect season.

It's a good question and valid points that we are all thinking about right now.

I personally believe that if he is not healthy then he should bow out and end the streak though.

If peyton did that there would be alot of ppl who would lose respect for him, i wont be one of them BUT only because of the way he handled his contract and cause he respects the game too much to do something as selfish and ridiculous like that.

I don't want him to, but you do present a valid point in stating that the Colts have him essentially do the same thing near the end of seasons when the Colts have already locked up a playoff spot - different circumstances, but it's the same result (meaningless snap to preserve the streak).

If he does do that, people would put a * by his streak. Honestly for me, I do want to see him get the record, but only because I can't stand Favre. If it was anyone other than Favre like Marino or Montana or whoever, I would have no problem with it. But no, I don't think he should take a snap to continue the streak. That's like bending the rules in a sense to get the record. If you look at it that way, I could get the record in no time. I start playing tomorrow, take the first snap of each game and then sub out for the rest of the game.

But how is it any different than taking the snap in a game you have no real intention of winning at the end of the year?

because this like finding a loop hole to keep a streak going while hurt. There is a difference in coming out of a game by choice and coming out because you can't play.

because this like finding a loop hole to keep a streak going while hurt. There is a difference in coming out of a game by choice and coming out because you can't play.

Lou Gehrig kept his streak alive in 1934 by taking a single lead-off at bat in an away game and being immediately replaced by a pinch runner.

If the definitive iron man of sports did it then why couldn't Manning.

Manning goes in...takes a snap...takes a knee...then bring Collins in for the rest of the game?

That would be a bush-league move and make Manning and the Colts the laughing stocks of the NFL

Exactly we complain about Brady breaking the TD record by playing one more game than Manning. What do you think people would say about Manning if he did that? It would be almost as embarasing as not going for the perfect season.

But how is it any different than taking the snap in a game you have no real intention of winning at the end of the year?

One is a game that he was actually available for if needed, but the coaching staff made a deliberate decision to play backups instead of the normal starters for strategic reasons.

The other is a game that he was not available for and would have been played by the coaching staff if he was available.

If you can't see the difference between the two, then I don't know what to tell you.

I want Peyton to miss the freaking game because honestly if he takes a snap then hes a part of something just as fake as a fixed game or I compare that to a fake stat such as the game he started vs the Jets that we took him out and we lost our perfect season. I have to wonder if theres still a rare chance that he will show up to play Sunday and shock us all. Reality is we can let the veteran Collins play while the very young newly drafted Olineman get their timing right.

He won't do it and i will not want him too, that will be a big disrespect to the game and the players and Manning is too classy to do that. Also doing that might give him the record on paper but in his heart he will know he didn't deserve it. Taking snaps in "meaningless" end of season games is different as that is a team decision it is not that he was not in a position to play.

No, I wouldn't want Manning to take a snap just to keep his streak alive. Maybe if he played a few drives, but less than that would be disrespect to the consecutive start stats. If he can't play, he can't play. It's sad to see him lose the streak, but I would hate to see Manning sully that streak by taking the first snap in a game he doesn't really play in.

First of all, he never takes just a single snap in those throw-away games, he plays a significant amount of time and tries to wrack up enough points to let the team win before the coaches drag him off the field.

Secondly, everybody knows he is healthy (as proven by the aforementioned time in the game), and he could play the whole game, but he is pulled to prevent injury. It is no different than pulling the QB when you have a huge lead.

Thirdly, those game are very much like exhibition games. He isn't starting the game for the sake of a personal record, he is starting to keep the timing fresh with the #1 offense as they prepare for a playoff berth. The alternative is sitting for possibly an entire month which isn't a good idea. They get enough criticism that time of year for their approach to the playoffs as it is.

If he started against Houston and did everything possible to succeed - then left half-way through the first quarter because it just wasn't working, that's fine. That would be courageous.

In contrast, for him to start against Houston and take just one snap - a hand-off, the team guarding him like it's the victory formation at the end of a game to make sure nobody hits him and makes things worse, the teams ability to win this vital game impacted by what would obviously be a wasted play - it would be so cheap and so unethical that people (including Colts fans) would lose a lot of respect for him, and the record would become even more tainted than a steroid assisted home run. It would be a travesty and an embarrassment to Peyton, the Colts, and all of us.

In contrast, for him to start against Houston and take just one snap - a hand-off, the team guarding him like it's the victory formation at the end of a game to make sure nobody hits him and makes things worse, the teams ability to win this vital game impacted by what would obviously be a wasted play - it would be so cheap and so unethical that people (including Colts fans) would lose a lot of respect for him, and the record would become even more tainted than a steroid assisted home run. It would be a travesty and an embarrassment to Peyton, the Colts, and all of us.

Is Lou Gehrig's streak tainted?

Manning won't take the token snap and it's the correct decision. It doesn't matter what anyone else in the league does. He's got bigger fish to fry and this will underscore his team commitment and desire to win. He's also a new father with family responsibility and life beyond this game. His on-field accomplishments speak for what they are - which is greatness. Now we get to see more of the man behind it with his actions.

Lou Gehrig kept his streak alive in 1934 by taking a single lead-off at bat in an away game and being immediately replaced by a pinch runner.

Cal Ripkin, Jr., is the definitive iron man.

Besides, baseball and football aren't remotely close to comparable with 162 game seasons (modern era), playing every day of the week, and tens of thousands of innings over the course of a career. In baseball, it's common for a pinch hitter to come in and take one at-bat. In the midst of a career spanning the length of time Gehrig put in, I have zero problem with at-bats like this. It did nothing to cheapen his accomplishment, the game, or diminish his contribution.

Regarding Manning, his streak coming to an end is a blessing because there won't be any distraction attached to keeping it alive. It'll be all about the winning (as far as media/perception is concerned) and I believe he'll get another ring before his Colts career is over.

One baseball at-bat over the length of Gehrig's career is the football equivalent of about 1/20,000th of a single snap under center. And even that's a stretch.

Yes, if you're trying to compare the length of the season. Apples to oranges comparing baseball to football any way you look at it.

I'm surprised no one has brought this up, but not only do I NOT want him to take the "charity snap"...

But doesn't he have to play beyond his current contract to break Favre's record anyway, which is doubtful...

If that's the case, I'd want him taking that snap even less...because it may not matter in the big picture.

Because PM is injured, he should not take a charity snap, which I feel very confident that he would not want too anyway.

I know how I would feel if I decided to run a marathon (which is laughable haha ) and was able to complete 25 miles before the pain set in; then I decided to take a taxi for the last little bit. The question would be....did I really finish????

Glad to see most of you saying no to this. It would, for most objective fans, cheapen the accomplishment that Mannning already has under his belt starting every game of his career so far.

Comparing it to baseball is an apples-oranges thing. If Gehrig took an at-bat, then the better analogy would be having Manning under center for a series or two. Typically a baseball player is up anywhere from four to six times per game. Taking a single snap and handing the ball off would be bush league, which is exactly why Manning would never do it.

And to me worrying about a "consecutive games played" record is a little useless. It's like winning the attendance record in school. Didn't miss a single day of school! Good for you!

I want Peyton out there if he can play. If not then he shouldn't be out there. If all he needs to do to continue the streak is just walk out on the field for one play it's kind of meaningless.

Nah, this isn't high school. He's too honorable. The streak would be meaningless if he did something like that.

Well I do believe the current holder of the streak set the presedence to do exactly that. I believe there were a few games ole Mr Farve did the few snaps and then out to maintain the record. Now I think Manning has more class than Farve but I would say if they believe it would be a game maybe 2 before getting back, I say do the start, a few plays and then exit. If they really believe it is going to be 2+ games, yep, got to sit it out and call it a great run.

Quite an excellent point. The question to validate this reason is, why was he replaced in that game by the pinch runner, was he hurt?