Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chris Brooks #83 Wr Your Thoughts..

Malakai432

6"2 210, 3 receptions 27 yards, 1 TD. He came originally out of Nebraska, what do you think of this guy?? Seems like little is known about this guy & doing some research it seems he could be a big WR we are looking for.

Scouting report below:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75188&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

14 receptions 179 yards & a TD his senior year. It almost just seems like noone ever gave him a solid chance.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=100&ATCLID=157519

Could he potentially he the big receiver the Colts have been looking for???

6"2 210, 3 receptions 27 yards, 1 TD. He came originally out of Nebraska, what do you think of this guy?? Seems like little is known about this guy & doing some research it seems he could be a big WR we are looking for.

Scouting report below:

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=75188&draftyear=2010&genpos=WR

14 receptions 179 yards & a TD his senior year. It almost just seems like noone ever gave him a solid chance.

When have the Colts been looking for a big receiver? I think that is fanboy stuff with no merit at all. If I recall correctly, they have had pretty good success with the receivers they have chosen over the years.

As for Brooks, his numbers as a WR in Nebraska are skewed by the offense they run there. If they keep Gonzo, I don't think he makes the team. If they cut Gonzo and White stays on the PUP, then I think he has a chance.

Guest BlueShoe

Scouting report below:

In my opinion he is going to make the team. He might not make the 53, but I believe he will make the practice squad at the very least. I actually think we want to become a team that runs the ball more so the bigger receivers who can block will be important.

Because of our injuries at receiver, Brooks could open the season on the 53.

When have the Colts been looking for a big receiver? I think that is fanboy stuff with no merit at all. If I recall correctly, they have had pretty good success with the receivers they have chosen over the years.

As for Brooks, his numbers as a WR in Nebraska are skewed by the offense they run there. If they keep Gonzo, I don't think he makes the team. If they cut Gonzo and White stays on the PUP, then I think he has a chance.

Yeah true, it is all fanboy stuff with no merit. Probably just thought, it might be nice for the Colts to have a big, strong, physical receiver like we see the Colts get schooled by all the time, lol. Nah but in all honesty a Colston, Johnson, Moss, Marshall type receiver WOULD be good for the Colts Mr. Skinzz. None the less this guy is not any of them, but still he's big, physical and has potential.

Edit PS: you could also say there is no merit in NOT getting or acquiring somehow a big, strong, physical, blocking, receiver who can catch the ball when remotely thrown in his vicinity.

Yeah true, it is all fanboy stuff with no merit. Probably just thought, it might be nice for the Colts to have a big, strong, physical receiver like we see the Colts get schooled by all the time, lol. Nah but in all honesty a Colston, Johnson, Moss, Marshall type receiver WOULD be good for the Colts Mr. Skinzz. None the less this guy is not any of them, but still he's big, physical and has potential.

Edit PS: you could also say there is no merit in NOT getting or acquiring somehow a big, strong, physical, blocking, receiver who can catch the ball when remotely thrown in his vicinity.

I have never heard the Colts say we need to get a big receiver. I have never heard Manning pine for a WR bigger than what he has thrown to. I have never seen the Colts draft a WR of size. That is what I mean by fanboy stuff withour merit. It is a message board sentiment and not based on anything from those that matter.

They clearly value speed, quickness, a burst, the ability to separate as traits for their WR's. If that comes in a larger receiver then great, but most times those players are the size of Wayne, Collie, Harrison, etc. And last I checked, the Colts really have had no issues throwing the ball around the field.

Maybe he makes the Practice Squad, dont think he makes the team. We have to many WR's.

We have two many WR's not in practice. I predict the Colts will have 6 WR's on the roster. With Collie and Gonzalez injury history, having

six WR's make sence.

Wayne

Garcon

Collie

Gonzalez

Gilreath

Brooks

I have never heard the Colts say we need to get a big receiver. I have never heard Manning pine for a WR bigger than what he has thrown to. I have never seen the Colts draft a WR of size. That is what I mean by fanboy stuff withour merit. It is a message board sentiment and not based on anything from those that matter.

They clearly value speed, quickness, a burst, the ability to separate as traits for their WR's. If that comes in a larger receiver then great, but most times those players are the size of Wayne, Collie, Harrison, etc. And last I checked, the Colts really have had no issues throwing the ball around the field.

But you have also never heard Dwight Freeney say we need better defensive tackles, lol. Ok I should've used the word "I," instead of making it sound like the Colts organization themselves were wanting a big, strong, physical type reciever. It's all hypothetical, I've heard many people talk about how delightful Moss would be. I & many other fans would love a Dre, Fitz, Marshall, Colston like reciever for the team and I really dont see how you can argue with that. I'm not saying this guy will be remotely like them, he might get cut but hey if he makes the team atleast they will have a 6"2+ 210+ reciever on the team, he couldn't be worse than Blair, lol... Ganzo apparently might not make the cut anyways, if Brooks has one more good preseason game the guy could work his way to the #4 spot.

We have two many WR's not in practice. I predict the Colts will have 6 WR's on the roster. With Collie and Gonzalez injury history, having

six WR's make sence.

Wayne

Garcon

Collie

Gonzalez

Gilreath

Brooks

I think Blair White comes off PUP before the season, but if he doesnt I agree with your notion

Id love to see the guy make the team. He could create some mismatches and actually give us a jump ball threat, which we never had. I know we (the Colts) have never been big on the jump ball in the endzone with a QB with a laser rocket arm, but it sure was nice for Eli to have Plax those years in NY and for Brady to have Moss those years in NE... Im not saying hes anywhere near those guys but with the glimpses we've seen in the preseason, I think he can bring some of that to the table and create some mismatches, especially if he develops into his potential. But it is all yet to be seen, he may never play a snap or he could make the pro bowl next year. Hindsight is 20/20, and right now we're looking through mud. Too many variables to accurately predict anything

But you have also never heard Dwight Freeney say we need better defensive tackles, lol. Ok I should've used the word "I," instead of making it sound like the Colts organization themselves were wanting a big, strong, physical type reciever. It's all hypothetical, I've heard many people talk about how delightful Moss would be. I & many other fans would love a Dre, Fitz, Marshall, Colston like reciever for the team and I really dont see how you can argue with that. I'm not saying this guy will be remotely like them, he might get cut but hey if he makes the team atleast they will have a 6"2+ 210+ reciever on the team, he couldn't be worse than Blair, lol... Ganzo apparently might not make the cut anyways, if Brooks has one more good preseason game the guy could work his way to the #4 spot.

Wrong, he's much worse. He's not good, he's had one above average preseason game.

Wrong, he's much worse. He's not good, he's had one above average preseason game.

Perhaps true, but maybe not. Haven't we seen over the years Manning's ability to make receivers look better than they are, lol. Manning could perhaps turn this guy into the next Jerry Rice, lol. I'm sure we will never find out.

Perhaps true, but maybe not. Haven't we seen over the years Manning's ability to make receivers look better than they are, lol. Manning could perhaps turn this guy into the next Jerry Rice, lol. I'm sure we will never find out.

Exactly, he looked good with frickin' Painter throwing him the ball.He will look like

a probowler with Manning chucking him the ball. Still need another good game out of him

befor we crown him first.

Nice game against Green Bay, but I don't think he'll make the roster.

There's absolutely no way he makes the roster. We don't have enough spots. Keep in mind, we will start the season with 3 QB's and all those free agent signings will be kept leaving no room for Gonzales, Brooks, White, and any other dead-weights. I'm just ticked that we have to keep Matt Painter---he is just awful.

What Jskinnz said. If you look at all of the receivers they've drafted and have done well in the system, they all have in common:

1) Quick and fast

2) Intelligent

3) Good route runners

Marvin (1st rounder), Reggie (1st rounder), Gonzo (1st rounder), and Collie (4th rounder) all fit that profile. Heck, even Dallas Clark and Jacob Tamme fit that profile. None of them are particularly big or physical.

If the Colts were really looking for a big, physical receiver, they would have just simply drafted one.

Blair White is also 6'2 and physical. Why give him the boot and bring in Brooks? White is healthy now so that reason wouldn't justify. White has proven hands, does Brooks? Is Brooks that much better of a route runner? Probably not. Also I don't really count 6'2 as a tall receiver, so which guy is more physical? Is Brooks that much faster than White? Probably a little faster.

Blair White is also 6'2 and physical. Why give him the boot and bring in Brooks? White is healthy now so that reason wouldn't justify. White has proven hands, does Brooks? Is Brooks that much better of a route runner? Probably not. Also I don't really count 6'2 as a tall receiver, so which guy is more physical? Is Brooks that much faster than White? Probably a little faster.

White is healthy? Do you have a link to this info?

What Jskinnz said. If you look at all of the receivers they've drafted and have done well in the system, they all have in common:

1) Quick and fast

2) Intelligent

3) Good route runners

Marvin (1st rounder), Reggie (1st rounder), Gonzo (1st rounder), and Collie (4th rounder) all fit that profile. Heck, even Dallas Clark and Jacob Tamme fit that profile. None of them are particularly big or physical.

If the Colts were really looking for a big, physical receiver, they would have just simply drafted one.

Couldn't agree more, however presumably they picked up Brooks for a reason - and during the GB game he looked pretty good. White is also 6'2" (Hank Basket 6'4") so it's not as if they refuse to hire taller WRs. More to the point, I was never that impressed with White even when he had some success last year. Or should I saw PARTICULARLY when he was having some success last year. All those games were pretty much torture. I'd like to see Brooks with Peyton at QB.

I didn't really notice Gilreath much (couldn't care less about kick returners as long as they can catch at this point - not worth wasting a special roster spot on), and Smith looks so ungainly catching that I'm surprised he wasn't turned into a DB in college.

I don't know if they are saying they need a big receiver privately, if not, they should. We have come up short because our scrawny, weak receivers cannot win a 50-50 ball. As great as he was, Marvin could be knocked off the ball with minimal contact as in the KC playoff game. We need a big guy with some fight in him.

There's absolutely no way he makes the roster. We don't have enough spots. Keep in mind, we will start the season with 3 QB's and all those free agent signings will be kept leaving no room for Gonzales, Brooks, White, and any other dead-weights. I'm just ticked that we have to keep Matt Painter---he is just awful.

i agree i think we all tend to forget about how explosive gonzo is when healthy...when gonzo was healthy he looked like the next reciever that was going to be passed the torched much like marvin did to reggie, the only way brooks makes this team is if gonzo gets put on ir again and gets released or if they simply cut white after he is upgraded of the pup but none of this has happened yet so the best thing to do is put him on the practice squad hopefully no one else picks him up and if gonzo dissapoints again this year (hope to god he doesnt) then next year he should be a shoe in

1) Quick and fast

2) Intelligent

3) Good route runners

That may be true for any other front office in the NFL, but we all know that Polian and his ego would never allow the Colts to draft a big receiver because that would be like admitting he was wrong when he drafted Wayne and Gonzo and Collie and Garcon and we know Polian never admits he wrong. :sarcasm:

I think Brooks makes the roster and here is why.

He is currently 5th on the depth chart (without Collie, Gonzo or White in the game) Brooks lined up with the starting unit in the 3 WR set).

I don't think White is coming off the PUP until after week 6 (I could be wrong, if White is activated then I do not think Brooks makes the final 53).

Wayne has taken him under his wing and had been mentoring him for two years.

With the things that happened last year to the passing game, I think the Colts are going to carry 5 WRs.

On my roster I have Gilreath as well but I don't consider him a WR, to me he is just a returner.

Let's see, I can think of Devin Aromashodu and Roy Hall who we thought would never get cut.

They value speed? speed left with Harrison. Seperation? Colts recievers get mauled all the time. What reciever core do the colts have now? Wayne - slow good hands. Garcon- The best on the team - which ball will he drop? White - jury still out. Collie - Scrambled eggs upstairs. Note* I think he is done. Gonzo - Another Sanders refugee Note* He will be a highschool coach next year. As far as those that matter, They really leave a lot to be desired.

white is also slow. so dump him and put in brooks why have a roster spot for a guy that might not even be playing do to injury. cut him and give another guy a chance.

They value speed? speed left with Harrison. Seperation? Colts recievers get mauled all the time. What reciever core do the colts have now? Wayne - slow good hands. Garcon- The best on the team - which ball will he drop? White - jury still out. Collie - Scrambled eggs upstairs. Note* I think he is done. Gonzo - Another Sanders refugee Note* He will be a highschool coach next year. As far as those that matter, They really leave a lot to be desired.

Collie and Gonzo, so much potential could easily be ruined this season. If Collie gets one more concussion he might be done permanently, especially if its bad. The NFL is not a kind sport people are going to be looking to wreck Collie when he catches over the middle. In terms of Mr. Glass Gonzo he's probably donski, lots of wasted potential there. Love the guys, but it's true.

Pending on how things work out this season I wouldn't be surprised if the Colts dont draft high caliber reciever next year. Especially pending on how Gonzo and Collie fair out.

It can't hurt to keep Brooks around. He made a couple of solid catches last week against Green bay. As for his size I feel size has nothing to do with it, If he can understand the offense and run the routes he will be fine. The game against the Bengals will tell if he makes the team. Gonzo is out the door to many injuries. Brooks will be a good addition to the mix, If I remember correctly no one was high on Reggie Wayne when he came to the Colts but look at him now He is one of the leading receivers on the team and I believe the NFL. Not saying Brooks is going to be the next Reggie. In the one game I watched Brooks play he showed more promise then Smith and Blair. Brooks will make the team, and not on the practice squad. Go Colts.