Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angerer Practiced Full Yesterday

HtownColt

“He’s had a tough go,” linebackers coach Jeff FitzGerald said. “It’s been a long time since he’s played football, and it’s been hard on him, real hard on him. But we had him back today, yesterday a little bit. We worked him in individuals so he’s with the guys and doing work with them. So he looked good.”

Wednesday marked Angerer’s first full participation in practice during the regular season, but the Colts went back to basics this week. After Sunday’s 22-17 loss against the Jacksonville Jaguars, head coach Chuck Pagano said the team would work more in individual drills this week to clean up technique and small details.

“I’ve been out there running around a little bit,” Angerer said. “I haven’t really been full-go yet. I feel good, and I don’t know if I can sit around one more Sunday and do nothing.”

http://heraldbulletin.com/sports/x766450373/Angerer-back-on-practice-field

With the emergence of Freeman, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more 4-3 base defense. Put Freeney or Mathis at RDE, Nevis at his more familiar UT spot, Redding/Mookie/Tevaseu at NT, and Redding/Moala at LDE. Conner at Will, I like him blitzing so if we want to attack he'd be the first to bring. Angerer back to Mike. Freeman at Sam, he looks to be solid in coverage, let him cover the TEs.

Angerer and Freeman should be very good in the middle with Conner coming in a giving some rest to both of them. I thought before freeman came in we would be ok in the middle. Now that Freeman has been playing so well we actually have some decent depth. It most likely is the position with the most depth besides WR or TE

With the emergence of Freeman, I wouldn't mind seeing a little more 4-3 base defense. Put Freeney or Mathis at RDE, Nevis at his more familiar UT spot, Redding/Mookie/Tevaseu at NT, and Redding/Moala at LDE. Conner at Will, I like him blitzing so if we want to attack he'd be the first to bring. Angerer back to Mike. Freeman at Sam, he looks to be solid in coverage, let him cover the TEs.

^I've been thinking about this too!^

Our coaches would be foolish not to try and have Freeman and Angerer out there at the same time.

Freeman and Angerer at the MLB spots in the 3-4, with Conner off the bench is a decent rotation. Freeney, Redding, Mathis.... when all healthy are a decent base.... the rest of our guys are average-adequate rotation guys in the front seven at this point. I still believe we can finish around 15th in overall D this year....

@StampedeBlue: My opinion: Sit Angerer. Freeman has outplayed him, and Conner is fine where he is. If Freeman stumbles, then insert Angerer.

I agree.

So Freeman has outplayed someone who hasn't even played this year? At the most one series in a preseason game. Lets atleast see what Angerer could do in this 3-4 defense before we crown Freeman our top ILB.

So Freeman has outplayed someone who hasn't even played this year? At the most one series in a preseason game. Lets atleast see what Angerer could do in this 3-4 defense before we crown Freeman our top ILB.

Why?

Because Angerer had an OK year in a Cover 2 on a team that went 2-14?

Freeman's played well. No sense in removing him.

Freeman and Conner have different roles in the defense because they offer something different, Freeman is better in coverage and sideline to sideline plays, Conner is better at fighting through "debris" and stuffing the run although Freeman is not bad at that

"You enjoy the game until you can’t do it anymore,” Angerer said at the team’s practice facility. I've always liked this kid. Great attitude, great work ethic, and he always wants to improve at his position and get better.

Plus, Angerer is the best name for a LB ever. Only possible better hypothetical name to beat it would be "Bonebreaker." haha

Glad to see you back in action Pat. You were definitely missed. :thmup:

A fleeting attempt at humor...Cinderella "Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone." Cheesy, I know, but still funny IMO on a Friday. :lol::funny:

"You enjoy the game until you can’t do it anymore,” Angerer said at the team’s practice facility. I've always liked this kid. Great attitude, great work ethic, and he always wants to improve at his position and get better.

Plus, Angerer is the best name for a LB ever. Only possible better hypothetical name to beat it would be "Bonebreaker." haha

Glad to see you back in action Pat. You were definitely missed. :thmup:

A fleeting attempt at humor...Cinderella "Don't Know What You've Got Til It's Gone." Cheesy, I know, but still funny IMO on a Friday. :lol::funny:

:facepalm: What are we gonna do with you SW? haha

:facepalm:What are we gonna do with you SW? haha

Yes, I really should be committed to a mental institution or heavily sedated and pacified with strong medication at bare minimum right. ;) Can you say "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" starring Jack Nicholson? Only Kidding!!! Thanks for laughing at my joke TK85. I appreciate it. :disco: Genius is always misinterpreted as insanity. :rock:

Freeman and Conner have different roles in the defense because they offer something different, Freeman is better in coverage and sideline to sideline plays, Conner is better at fighting through "debris" and stuffing the run although Freeman is not bad at that

I think Freeman and Conner have the same strengths and are both better equipped to get to the ball and play the run, but Freeman is quicker to the ball carrier, wherever he is, and Conner is a better tackler. Neither excels in coverage. And that's the reason why I think Angerer needs to be in the lineup, because he's better in coverage than either. There should be a rotation of the three, I think, until we find the best mix, but Angerer's primary advantage over the two we have is coverage.

Why?

Because Angerer had an OK year in a Cover 2 on a team that went 2-14?

Freeman's played well. No sense in removing him.

Why? Because we havent seen Angerer in this new defense yet. Because Freeman would have probably been just as average or worse in that putrid cover two defense last year. You're comparing two guys. But one hasnt even played. Theres no logic in that.

Why? Because we havent seen Angerer in this new defense yet. Because Freeman would have probably been just as average or worse in that putrid cover two defense last year. You're comparing two guys. But one hasnt even played. Theres no logic in that.

Your 100% right. There is no reason to play a guy who hasn't played in this system, over a guy who has played in this system, and played well. I totally agree.....

What I been thinking I might do is on 3rd and short plays I'd lineup in a 4-3 set with (Taking into consideration the players available to us now)

Freeney-RE

Johnson-DT

Redding-DT

Mathis-LE

ROLB-Hughes

MLB-Angerer

LOLB-Freeman

That look would give us the option of dropping any one of those guys in short to intermediate coverage (Johnson was even dropped into coverage once I remember lol)

In the 3-4

RE-Moala

NT-Rotation of Johnson and Baptiste until Chapman can get in on the action

LE-Redding

ROLB-Hughes

ILB-Conner (the reason for Conner is none of the other Linebackers provide much in run stopping although maybe Harvey would)

ILB-Freeman

LOLB-Mathis

4-2-5

RE-Freeney

DT-Moala

DT-Nevis

LE-Redding

LB'S

Conner

Hughes

3-3-5

RE-Moala

NT-Johnson/Baptiste/Tevasue until Chapman returns and coaches see how he performs

LE-Redding

Linebackers

ROLB-Hughes

ILB-Freeman

LOLB-Mathis

5-2-4

RE-Freeney

DT-Moala

NT-Johnson/Baptiste rotation til Chapman returns

DT-Redding

LE-Mathis

2-Linebackers Freeman, Angerer

I think Freeman and Conner have the same strengths and are both better equipped to get to the ball and play the run, but Freeman is quicker to the ball carrier, wherever he is, and Conner is a better tackler. Neither excels in coverage. And that's the reason why I think Angerer needs to be in the lineup, because he's better in coverage than either. There should be a rotation of the three, I think, until we find the best mix, but Angerer's primary advantage over the two we have is coverage.

Angerer just looked lost somewhat to me when dropping back. I probably just think Freeman is better in coverage because his pick 6 vs Cutler where he read Cutlers eyes and jumped the route but there is that instance where he got beat by Kyle R vs Minnesota. when Angerer returns I will have to be sure to focus more on him when Im watching the Coaches film on Rewind

The coaches will work with Freeman, Angerer and the LB-ing corps every day at practice. They will have a good feel for who is playing better and who will give us the best chance to win. Let's put our trust in the coaches. We can debate who we think should start (purpose of this thread), but ultimately, the coaching staff will make the best deicision based on the information that they have, and will continue to get leading up t the game.