Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Angerer Practiced Full Yesterday

HtownColt

Angerer just looked lost somewhat to me when dropping back. I probably just think Freeman is better in coverage because his pick 6 vs Cutler where he read Cutlers eyes and jumped the route but there is that instance where he got beat by Kyle R vs Minnesota. when Angerer returns I will have to be sure to focus more on him when Im watching the Coaches film on Rewind

That's the more typical coverage situation that he'll be in. It was a good play by the Vikings, but Freeman got worked, and he knew it. I credit the play call against the Bears for Freeman's pick more than I credit Freeman himself. Cutler threw the ball right to him. He's not awful in coverage; I agree that he's better than Conner.

As for Angerer, he didn't look lost to me at all. He looked misused. We were basically using him as a third safety, dropping him into deep coverage in the middle of the field. And it was almost exclusively zone coverage. He's shown his skills in coverage since college, and his first two years here as well.

Not too fond of that idea, Freeny demands a double team which free's up another rusher (usually Mathis) Conner doesnt he gets blocked and washed wayyyyy to easy

No I'm saying the starters should be freeney, freeman , angerer, Mathis , with Conner back both middles but if freeney is not ready to go would u rather have Hughes or Conner on outside

I would prefer to have Freeman and Angerer in as MLBs, I don't see what is so great about Conner. He is decent, but Freeman has outperformed him so far this season and Angerer outperformed him in the past. Also Conner could still offer Freeman and Angerer relief, it's always nice to be able to keep defensive players fresh.

I'm encouraged by what Freeman's done so far vs what my expectations of him were, but let's be honest here: our team gets shredded on runs up the gut because neither he or Conner can shed a block. The Jacksonville game was disgusting- it's not like MJD had to do much more than go through the motions. You just can't get shredded through the heart of the defense like that putting up that little resistance.

If Angerer's healthy, he'll start. Whether it's for Freeman or Conner, I don't know. But the play there, while a bright spot on D in some regards, is far from good enough to make their starting spots untouchable. We're the 8th worst rushing D in yards per game and the 10th worst in yards per carry.

Part of that is needing better defensive line play, but our ILB's being absorbed by blockers and not being able to shed them effectively is a huge culprit as well.

It doesn't really matter who starts. All three guys are going to play extensively. They will rotate. Pat might be ready to play but will not be in condition to play the whole game. Missing that much time will take its toll on fitness level. My guess is by the time Pat is back to 100%, it will be obvious who should be out there the most.

@StampedeBlue: My opinion: Sit Angerer. Freeman has outplayed him, and Conner is fine where he is. If Freeman stumbles, then insert Angerer.

I agree.

Absolutely no. Angerer was and still is our top LB. I agree that Freeman plays well but he should be moved over to Connors spot and put Angerer back at his original spot. Having 2 tackling machines on the field is better than 1. Have Connor come in to spell either or.

And just on a side note, stampedeblue doesn't really have a clue about what he's talking about half the time so I take everything I see from him with a grain of salt.

http://blogs.indystar.com/philb/2012/10/02/happy-birthday-colts-coach-chuck-pagano/

Getting guys back — ILB Pat Angerer is optimistic he will make his season debut after recovering from surgery to repair a right foot fracture. We don’t know yet if OLB Dwight Freeney will be good to go, but Pagano suggested as much before the bye weekend off. Freeney sprained his left ankle after just eight plays in the season opener. C Samson Satele (knee), LG Joe Reitz (knee), CB Vontae Davis (ankle) and CB Justin King (groin) are also question marks. As I said in Monday’s Colts chat, the Wednesday practice participation report is typically telling about the play-or-sit outlooks. We’ll have a better idea then.

I cannot believe at times how many injuries this team has. And now Pagano, God Bless him.

I do think Freeney will play though. I really hope so too. I see him getting out there this weekend.

Outside of him and Angerer I don't know about the rest. :dunno:

I cannot believe at times how many injuries this team has. And now Pagano, God Bless him.

I do think Freeney will play though. I really hope so too. I see him getting out there this weekend.

Outside of him and Angerer I don't know about the rest. :dunno:

Phil B. seemed to not be so sure on Freeney. He was confident about Angerer and seemed to be feeling good about Reitz chance's of playing. He said it's hard to get a read on everyone else in terms of if they will play or not. He did say Pagano saying Davis was "week-to-week" a couple of weeks ago was probably not a good sign in terms of those hoping he'll play.

Absolutely no. Angerer was and still is our top LB. I agree that Freeman plays well but he should be moved over to Connors spot and put Angerer back at his original spot. Having 2 tackling machines on the field is better than 1. Have Connor come in to spell either or.

Im a big Angerer fan, dont get me wrong..but why bench a young player who is playing at a high level? Not to mention that Freeman and Angerer have a different role in the system then Conner does, who is used more for shooting the gap, which is not Angerers forte so I dont like that replacement. And Freeman is probably playing at the highest level of all our defenders..You dont put that kind of production on the bench. Its a what have you done for me lately league and lately Angerer has been on the sideline while freemans been gettin picks, tackles, sacks and forced fumbles. But its a long season and having 3 starting caliber MLBs is a good problem to have early in the season.

And just on a side note, stampedeblue doesn't really have a clue about what he's talking about half the time so I take everything I see from him with a grain of salt.

Ouch!!

Im a big Angerer fan, dont get me wrong..but why bench a young player who is playing at a high level? Not to mention that Freeman and Angerer have a different role in the system then Conner does, who is used more for shooting the gap, which is not Angerers forte so I dont like that replacement. And Freeman is probably playing at the highest level of all our defenders..You dont put that kind of production on the bench. Its a what have you done for me lately league and lately Angerer has been on the sideline while freemans been gettin picks, tackles, sacks and forced fumbles. But its a long season and having 3 starting caliber MLBs is a good problem to have early in the season.

why bench a "would of been pro bowler if his team wasnt so bad last year" player just because a rookie played well for 3 games. Angerer has played well for 40+ games

I don't think you got his point. He's not saying to bench Freeman. He's saying bench Conner, or at least move him into a rotational/reserve role. And I think that's probably what we'll wind up doing, assuming Angerer has a good week in practice.

It should be Angerer and Freeman, soon. Angerer is just as good, if not better than Connor shooting gaps but Angerer might require more time in practice to be up to speed in this defense. Start Conner and Freeman ,for now, but still give Angerer playing time.

I'm encouraged by what Freeman's done so far vs what my expectations of him were, but let's be honest here: our team gets shredded on runs up the gut because neither he or Conner can shed a block. The Jacksonville game was disgusting- it's not like MJD had to do much more than go through the motions. You just can't get shredded through the heart of the defense like that putting up that little resistance.

If Angerer's healthy, he'll start. Whether it's for Freeman or Conner, I don't know. But the play there, while a bright spot on D in some regards, is far from good enough to make their starting spots untouchable. We're the 8th worst rushing D in yards per game and the 10th worst in yards per carry.

Part of that is needing better defensive line play, but our ILB's being absorbed by blockers and not being able to shed them effectively is a huge culprit as well.

22nd in YPC, after facing Forte, AP and MJD, with a new D scheme? That's a bonus in my eyes. A fairly significant bonus. Then again, I don't expect us to be top 5 in any department for a very long time, considering the rebuilding that has just happened.