Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Positive thread

Nobody

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First things first, that was a real exciting finish in the end, just so disappointing how it turned out. How every in the theme of the thread plenty of positives on display. Only the most optimistic would expect a realistic payoff shot this year so for me the key, especially in early games is the development of the rookies. These guys are going to be the foundation of the team going forward.

So what are the positives to take?

Andrew looks the real deal, sure he still makes mistakes but the guy's looks like a real playmaker. Excellent at escaping pressure and extending a drive in adverse circumstance. His leadership of the offense is impressive too.

T.Y looked like he's going to be productive in both the return and receiving. Hands could be better but that can be worked on.

Reggie is still Reggie!

Allen looked more active as a receiver today, Fleener showed already what a weapon he can be. Seemed to be blocking more today though.

Matthis looks like he can work in this new system, if we can get Freeney back and get even half of the production he's capable off the pass rush will be decent. Hughes has looked a lot better too. MLB looks solid if not spectacular and we have some depth here at least.

Of course the elephant in the room is the o-line, but with players to come back and given some time it could be a serviceable unit. Castanzo could still be a solid LT IMHO.

And finally going back to point of results not being the most important thing this year....every loss pushes our pick value up! Ok that one was somewhat flippant.

Hilton looked down field before he caught one pass. Reggie did the same exact thing, but got a lucky enough bounce to get the reception. Did you see the pass he caught on the last drive, low and inside, that kept us alive in the final drive. A better throw and he scores...And, the catch in traffic when he got nailed and still held on; He made one little rookie mistake, and you say he needs to work on his hands??? Please...Hilton was the top receiver this week, with a 28.2 yards per catch with one drop?

His hands are more than fine...he was looking to make a big play and got over exuberant...He made plenty of big plays today, and will continue to do so in the future.

Sorry, I just don't see TY's hands being a problem...

1. Luck... he look as good as / better than Peyton today

2. Hilton .. getting his gel going with Luck and his returns

3. Powers .. Int... almost..

4. ** Loved the screen pass to Brown... why are we not doing this more.. it will even help build the run game Pagano wants.

5. Mathis

6. Conner

7. Freeman

can't wait to continue to watch this team build it's chemistry and see where we are @ the end of the year

This team will be really good again someday.

I think there are many early growing pains by the players and coaches that we all didn't want to admit might be coming....

Let's see what he draft brings this year and then what we do with that money we have to spend this off-season that day might be coming sooner than people think. We really have one team we have to over come in the division it's not like we are the Vikings in the NFC North that is trying to catch three teams. Even though we lost to the Jags today I think we are on level with them and Titans now.

Let's see what he draft brings this year and then what we do with that money we have to spend this off-season that day might be coming sooner than people think. We really have one team we have to over come in the division it's not like we are the Vikings in the NFC North that is trying to catch three teams. Even though we lost to the Jags today I think we are on level with them and Titans now.

We have our QB IMO. So we have a future. I have always been sold on Luck and nothing will change this.

Lets also see how this team advances as the year progresses since I still feel they will get better as the year goes on. Today was there to win but maybe it helps them develop more in a loss then if they won and just overlooked some issues......

We will have some extreme ups and downs this year most likely.

I have always been a big TY Hilton fan. he showed today why he was traded up for. The only reason he wasn't first or second round, is because of his size. The kid can flat out fly. Everyone says Avery is fast..I think TY would blow his doors off in any race. And, once he gets more comfortable running routes, we have a potential superstar receiver on our team to compliment Reggie.

He gave us a big thrill, even though it was called back, on that long punt return. his acceleration from stop to start is amazing..I think if Lucks pass to him down the sideline on that last drive would have been better I think he might have gone all the way, he clearly had his receiver beat, and the throw was low and off target, yet he still caught the ball, giving the Colts a chance to come back.

Once again, Luck looked good, and showed improvement again this week...Freeman is becoming a beast on Defense...Lefeged on special teams continues to shine.

Its going to take time, but they're making strides..(even though this loss really stings)..

Luck says Avery is faster than Hilton, but you are probably right.

I thought the pass protection was GOOD.

I don't wish injury on anyone and he is a great great player but, Revis might have a serious ACL injury rumor is.

If he does then this makes our game vs. the Jets much easier.

Losing is the worst to me going into a bye. But, maybe this young team will lather up to battle the big boys......:)

Just a word on Jerrel Freeman, I have friends that go to the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor (his alma mater) that got to meet him. UMHB is also my schools rival, so it's really kind of cool considering we are D3.

I was impressed by Luck again. The defense shows flashes. I think with time, they will really become something to watch. Reggie Wayne seems rejuvenated. It's truly great to see.

On a serious note Luck is great in the end of half/game situation. He is now 5/6 in those situations. He put us in poistion against the Bears at the end of the first half. 10 Points at the end of both halves against the Vikings. Then today he scored a TD at the end of the half got us a go ahead field goal today and then came up short on the last drive. That is extremely impressive for a young QB it really shows he's in charge of the offense because in a lot of those situations you don't have a chance to huddle up and get the calls from the coaches. Frankly if he does this a couple of more times and if we keep struggling to start the third quarter I wouldn't mind if we went to what we are doing at the end of halves to start the third quarter.

We so would. Now the Colts KNOW what is going on in real live NFL games. The Bears would be toast.

Oh and for complete and total homers and those who want to dream check out the start of THIS season compared to 2008:

http://www.pro-footb...ms/clt/2008.htm

Awwwwww Yeaaahhhhh!!!!

Stomping from the Bears.

Gritty, ugly win over Vikes.

Last second loss against Jags.

Bye week

It has been foretold. We finish 12-4.

Hilton looked down field before he caught one pass. Reggie did the same exact thing, but got a lucky enough bounce to get the reception. Did you see the pass he caught on the last drive, low and inside, that kept us alive in the final drive. A better throw and he scores...And, the catch in traffic when he got nailed and still held on; He made one little rookie mistake, and you say he needs to work on his hands??? Please...Hilton was the top receiver this week, with a 28.2 yards per catch with one drop?

His hands are more than fine...he was looking to make a big play and got over exuberant...He made plenty of big plays today, and will continue to do so in the future.

Sorry, I just don't see TY's hands being a problem...

Never said it was a problem, just an objective view that a rookie receiver can (and in most cases will) improve on his hands. Unless your saying he's already as safe as say Reggie?

Some of the positives I saw from my view at the game:

1. O-Line pass protection was much better for the most part. Even with Satele going out. Run blocking still needs work, but lets keep this positive!

2. Receivers started out with a case of the dropseys and then came back to have a very solid game. We have some definite talent at that position and it should only improve as the season goes on and chemistry builds.

3. Luck again shows his 6th sense at avoiding pressure and extending the drive.

4. D showed how good they could be in spurts. Young team will battle with inconsistency all season. Just part of the growing process. But overall there is a lot to build on.

5. If you look at it, if you take out 2 plays from the game (long TD run by MJD and that fluke 80 yard TD pass) then we are looking at a blow out. 2 plays.

6. 12th Man- Even after the air was let out of the stadium with that last minute TD by JAX you could still feel that the crowd had confidence in Luck and the Offense to put something together. The crowd was amazing and in it right until the end. I was very impressed.

Overall it was a crappy loss and some sloppy play on both sides of the ball. A lot of missed penalties and ghost penalties didn't help either.... but overall there are some good building blocks on this team and they are only going to get better.

Never said it was a problem, just an objective view that a rookie receiver can (and in most cases will) improve on his hands. Unless your saying he's already as safe as say Reggie?

I'm not comparing anyone to Reggie..he's in a league of his own. I agree that all rookies have growing pains and issues to work on. A football player in general always seeks to improve every day, whether or not they're rookies or 15 year vets. Reggie didn't get as good as he is without hard work and discipline. Maybe I read your post in the wrong context, but the way it was worded, it sounded like Hilton drops everything, and no one else did.. I mean, Fleener and Brown drop more passes than anyone on the team, but in your post, (and a few others I have seen on the forum as well) seem to single out Hilton as having bad hands, when it was a case of trying to do too much.

If I read that wrong, I do apologize, but I answered to the statement as I read it..

I'm not comparing anyone to Reggie..he's in a league of his own. I agree that all rookies have growing pains and issues to work on. A football player in general always seeks to improve every day, whether or not they're rookies or 15 year vets. Reggie didn't get as good as he is without hard work and discipline. Maybe I read your post in the wrong context, but the way it was worded, it sounded like Hilton drops everything, and no one else did.. I mean, Fleener and Brown drop more passes than anyone on the team, but in your post, (and a few others I have seen on the forum as well) seem to single out Hilton as having bad hands, when it was a case of trying to do too much.

If I read that wrong, I do apologize, but I answered to the statement as I read it..

Hey no problem, I was being overly critical in some ways but it was the only real negative I think I've seen in his play and even then in the context of comparing him to receivers who have nailed on hands. Agree that Fleener's hands are more suspect, and I worry that aside from one game he's not really being targeted. Coverage or a lack of confidence in him? He should be a match up nightmare but team's seem to be able to keep him quiet without giving up coverage on another receiver.

As for Donald..... eyes on the ball Donald is all I'll say!

The game was winnable and if Davis and King aren't sidelined, Goober never makes that completion for a TD.

Our secondary is as good as we've had in a long time.

Luck is so much better than the other rookie QB's its funny. I wasn't going to say not funny, because it is funny. Luck is a bad dude, and he'd be a top 5 QB on a better squad. He avoids pressure better than any QB I've see in a long while, I think he has eyes on the back of head.

After GB, a month of competitive and winnable games come up. If healthy we could be 5-3 by week 8.

TY is fast.

MJD didn't out right beat the D. That has happened in the past.

Luck put us in a position to score with 45 seconds.

The refs were so bad that it has to be a positive, right?

Donald Brown can't run behind that line consistently, but he can break off some good plays.

• 2 weeks later...

So, folks. The banged up Colts without their dear leader in Pagano take the field Sunday vs. the high flying glossy Green Bay Packers led by last years league MVP.

Is it over before it even begins? NO. :nono2:

Send positive thoughts and good karma and well wishes towards our beloved boys. They need us. :cloud9:

• 2 weeks later...

So, folks. The banged up Colts without their dear leader in Pagano take the field Sunday vs. the gritty ground and pound Cleveland Browns.

Is it over before it even begins? NO. :nono2:

Send positive thoughts and good karma and well wishes towards our beloved boys. They need us. :cloud9:

Nothing Positive about that game that was handed to us & blew it right off

Jerry Hughes was a positive and so was Adam. Frankly our special teams coverage units held up very well against one of the better special teams in the NFL. You can always find something positive if you look. Also Fleener had a very solid game.