Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Wr battle

jbaron04

While he may get less targets now that Avery has stepped up that may not be a bad thing. Most importantly I think is that it allows him to take his time coming back. I will say our wr core will look pretty solid with him in it. Besides Arians moves guys all over the field so he may play the slot he may move outside....Reggie may be in the slot. That is one thing I think we should have done more over the years is move Reggie around...like Peyton wasn't smart enough to find him. Especially when we played the Jets back in 2010...get him away from Revis and work him on lesser corners. I like how Arians moves guys around.

I got to give Avery props because I had serious doubts about him....he hasn't been healthy in forever and he didn't even look that special when he was in Stl. but perhaps this offense makes the best use of him.

Donnie had a great game, but that's what it is: one game. Austin is more proven and has shown in the past that he can definitely do the job. I'd like to see all 3 guys on the field, but when there are two guys, Austin should be the other guy.

Let's be real. This is the team that made the recently Blaine Gabbert look legit. I don't think the team will just concede the job to Avery over a much more proven Collie.

Gabbert has improved, quite honestly. I'm not saying he's a top 16 QB, but he has improved a great deal in the offseason. He's more comfortable, and knows more what to expect now, and he's not gonna be the deer in the headlights he was last year.

Donnie had a great game, but that's what it is: one game. Austin is more proven and has shown in the past that he can definitely do the job. I'd like to see all 3 guys on the field, but when there are two guys, Austin should be the other guy.

Austin can't stretch the field like Avery

Austin has proven he can't be relied on an is always hurt

Who is? He threw for a whopping 53 yards today.

Touche. Um... Skelton/Kolb... uh... yeah nevermind that's really all I've got, and that's pretty arguable. I'll say that the worst has gotten a teensy bit better. But he's still probably the worst.

Doesn't that basically mean he never does an IN-route again, regardless of position?

Yep, but at least it kind of lessens his chances of getting drilled. I would only throw sideline routes for him. I know that diminishes his worth, but he is just to fragile in the head to be going over the middle.

Touche. Um... Skelton/Kolb... uh... yeah nevermind that's really all I've got, and that's pretty arguable. I'll say that the worst has gotten a teensy bit better. But he's still probably the worst.

I really thought he'd be good in the pros and Locker would stink. I remember seeing Locker in his college days and he couldn't hit the side of a barn. They called him The Tebow of the West. It was a compliment in college. Whole new meaning in the NFL.

Let's just hope we don't make Gabbert look like Joe Montana next week.

Austin can't stretch the field like Avery

Austin has proven he can't be relied on an is always hurt

I beg to differ on that one. For starters, Collie is a great possesion receiver. He would have made all the catches that Avery made today and probably more. Also, he's a guy that can stretch the field. He's proven in the past that he can go deep and make great plays. You just don't see that too often because they like Austin to run short/intermediate routes.

Austin has the concussion issues, obviously, but Donnie Avery ain't no Reggie Wayne when it comes to injuries, if you know what I mean. He's been injured a lot in the past and is the main reason why he was cut from the Rams.

If Austin is playing, he should and will be the starter.

I beg to differ on that one. For starters, Collie is a great possesion receiver. He would have made all the catches that Avery made today and probably more. Also, he's a guy that can stretch the field. He's proven in the past that he can go deep and make great plays. You just don't see that too often because they like Austin to run short/intermediate routes.

Austin has the concussion issues, obviously, but Donnie Avery ain't no Reggie Wayne when it comes to injuries, if you know what I mean. He's been injured a lot in the past and is the main reason why he was cut from the Rams.

If Austin is playing, he should and will be the starter.

A player who has brain damage or knee tear what's worse

Gabbert has improved, quite honestly. I'm not saying he's a top 16 QB, but he has improved a great deal in the offseason. He's more comfortable, and knows more what to expect now, and he's not gonna be the deer in the headlights he was last year.

Did you watch him today?

Sometimes I forget one game against one of the league's best defenses means you suck.

You'll have to forgive me.

I'm not sure I can forgive you of something I never posited. 7/19 is unacceptable vs. any team, and one other game this year is not sufficient to determine rather or not he's improved a decent amount or not. You're saying he's gotten much better this season based on one game vs. a decidely weak secondary and yet positing that going 7/19 against one of the leagues better should be either thrown out or given less weight?

How does that make sense?

While he may get less targets now that Avery has stepped up that may not be a bad thing. Most importantly I think is that it allows him to take his time coming back. I will say our wr core will look pretty solid with him in it. Besides Arians moves guys all over the field so he may play the slot he may move outside....Reggie may be in the slot. That is one thing I think we should have done more over the years is move Reggie around...like Peyton wasn't smart enough to find him. Especially when we played the Jets back in 2010...get him away from Revis and work him on lesser corners. I like how Arians moves guys around.

I got to give Avery props because I had serious doubts about him....he hasn't been healthy in forever and he didn't even look that special when he was in Stl. but perhaps this offense makes the best use of him.

It wasn't that Manning wouldn't find him. It was the no huddle offense. You don't know what the play is until you are at the line and you don't want your receivers shifting everywhere and slowing things down.

I'm not sure I can forgive you of something I never posited. 7/19 is unacceptable vs. any team, and one other game this year is not sufficient to determine rather or not he's improved a decent amount or not. You're saying he's gotten much better this season based on one game vs. a decidely weak secondary and yet positing that going 7/19 against one of the leagues better should be either thrown out or given less weight?

How does that make sense?

Because obviously, unlike yourself, I didn't just scope the box score and decide he was bad. I watched all of his pre-season action, and the game against the Vikes last week.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Watch a game.

There are very few around the league who haven't taken notice of how much better he looks so far this year. He's making better reads, he's more in command of the offense, and he's tenfold more comfortable out there than he was a season ago.

Now before you rail off again and make some audacious claim that I'm calling him great, because hey, we've already established that you only look at the bottom line and not how you got there, let me say this, and make it concise and clear.

He is not a top 16 quarterback. I'm not saying he's great, I'm not even saying he's good. What I AM saying is that he's better than your seemingly giving him credit for.

I like Collie also, but this is two pretty good games by Avery.

If Luck were a little more accurate with his long throws Avery has two more TDs.

It wasn't that Manning wouldn't find him. It was the no huddle offense. You don't know what the play is until you are at the line and you don't want your receivers shifting everywhere and slowing things down.

I understand....but then again we didn't always run a no huddle or have to run it. I still think we could have made these adjustments on the sideline when the offense struggled or we couldn't get Reggie involved....like on certain series or at the half. Outside of Manning we really didn't make adjustments on those teams...sadly I don't think a lot of coaching went on...player progression was simply a result of Peyton and vets working hard with them or by themselves IMO.

Because obviously, unlike yourself, I didn't just scope the box score and decide he was bad. I watched all of his pre-season action, and the game against the Vikes last week.

Stats don't tell the whole story. Watch a game.

There are very few around the league who haven't taken notice of how much better he looks so far this year. He's making better reads, he's more in command of the offense, and he's tenfold more comfortable out there than he was a season ago.

Now before you rail off again and make some audacious claim that I'm calling him great, because hey, we've already established that you only look at the bottom line and not how you got there, let me say this, and make it concise and clear.

He is not a top 16 quarterback. I'm not saying he's great, I'm not even saying he's good. What I AM saying is that he's better than your seemingly giving him credit for.

I like the way you're claiming that I only look at the bottom line, which is a baseless accusation, and then try and throw barbs at me for, of all things, supposedly throwing baseless accusations.

Nonetheless, I never said he didn't improve. Never once. Never ever. I just said he's not that great. As a measuring stick for starting QBs, he's still below average, which you seem to agree with. I'm not exactly sure what you're arguing against.

P.S.: Citing stats 1.) doesn't show someone only looks at a bottom line, as it is often easier to illustrate a point that one can not visually show on a message board, nor 2.) mean someone doesn't watch games. I do. I watch as many as time grants. I even overpay for the ability to do so.

And I don't take preseason as a great measuring stick of much for first stringers. In my unscientific experience, it's been mostly meaningless as far as actual season play goes, which is why I stand by the idea that he's only shown 2 games worth of real experience.