Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our new nose tackle.

StewieG

The colts must be really think Chapman is going to come in and dominate when he comes back. You would think if they were super worried about the NT position we would have signed some guy with a lot more experience. But well hopefully this guy does good.

Baptiste has injury concerns which still that didnt stop us from drafting Chapman likely knowing he was going to be sitting. Tevaseu looked impressive in the highlights lets hope he brings it to the Colts, I was pulling for Baptiste or Kitchen but Johnson and Tevaseu will likely be a rotation with Johnson starting because he looked impressive in the preseason and has the playbook down at the very least more then Tevaseu does

Baptiste has injury concerns which still that didnt stop us from drafting Chapman likely knowing he was going to be sitting. Tevaseu looked impressive in the highlights lets hope he brings it to the Colts, I was pulling for Baptiste or Kitchen but Johnson and Tevaseu will likely be a rotation with Johnson starting because he looked impressive in the preseason and has the playbook down at the very least more then Tevaseu does

I like the fact that Tevaseu has actually been in the Jets' roster rotation in the 3-4 as an NT though it has been back and forth with him on the Jets' roster. One moment he is on the roster, then he is waived and signed to the PS later, and then he is activated and waived again and signed back to the PS, happened at least twice. He was obviously expendable but being in that rotation for a good D can only help our fledgling D where he might get more playing time.

I agree, but I may not be as high on Johnson as you seem to be. He has looked good in preseason though and we will get the rookie some playing time later on. Houston turned their D around without a true nose, so I guess anything can happen.

I never heard of him but that means nothing. I will just give Griggs the benefit of the doubt for now. Looked at his tape and he seemed decent enough for a back up NT particularly tailored to the 3-4 scheme. That's what we needed depth wise and that is what we got. I wanted Jean-Baptiste as well but I guess the Colts know something we don't. If they wanted him he would be a Colt as they had plenty of opportunity to draft him or put a waiver claim for him but chose to do neither. As someone others have said, Pagano has a pipeline to the Ravens so I am sure the Colts did their homework.

I just dont get all the dislike for Johnson in this new system by some

I guess I just haven't seen any of his highlights. I've watched the 1st 2 games more than once and caught most of the 3rd, and I just haven't been impressed. From what I saw, he was easily neutralized in the 1st 2 games and was only so-so in the 3rd. What am I missing?

1st play vs Redskins on that long bomb thrown by Robert Griffin III, look how he drove Montgomery into the backfield (#63) and spun off the oncoming double team. 2nd play of the game (run by morris) look how he drives Montgomery into the backfield to the point he flattens Montgomery. Next posession look how he got around Montgomery on that screen pass and for a man his size that is quite a bit of speed he has he didnt make the tackle but he was chasing him down. The play after that he got the tackle on a three yard gain up the middle he was even made to drop back into coverage once. 2nd quarter at the 13:37 mark hes driving Montgomery off the line of scrimmage again, theres more.

In the one preseason game I saw it seemed Johnson and Matthews were consistantly knocked off of the line of scrimmage. Martin Tevaseu's pro day stats from NFLdraftscout.com: ht 6-1, wt 308, 5.46 forty, 27 reps, 24 vertical, 3.20 twenty, 1.88 ten, 8'1" BJ, 4.91s, and 8.00c. Not real impressive numbers. Maybe he makes up for with hutsle and vission.

In the one preseason game I saw it seemed Johnson and Matthews were consistantly knocked off of the line of scrimmage. Martin Tevaseu's pro day stats from NFLdraftscout.com: ht 6-1, wt 308, 5.46 forty, 27 reps, 24 vertical, 3.20 twenty, 1.88 ten, 8'1" BJ, 4.91s, and 8.00c. Not real impressive numbers. Maybe he makes up for with hutsle and vission.

what game?

I will look at it but I bet it was runs to the outside alot

The runs I remember were right between Matthews and Johnson. I was not sure if Johnson was doubled but Matthews was not doubled and there was a big gapping hole in the defense. The ILB was also not in the play on that side. Went back and reviewed a highlight on the Steelers game and that side was gashed as well. I thought Matthews would have been cut. I liked Shirley and Anunoby both better to make the team. Shows you what I know though since Pagano and Grigson are the experts. They have access to practice and and game tapes I dont have.

The runs I remember were right between Matthews and Johnson. I was not sure if Johnson was doubled but Matthews was not doubled and there was a big gapping hole in the defense. The ILB was also not in the play on that side. Went back and reviewed a highlight on the Steelers game and that side was gashed as well. I thought Matthews would have been cut. I liked Shirley and Anunoby both better to make the team. Shows you what I know though since Pagano and Grigson are the experts. They have access to practice and and game tapes I dont have.

I'll watch the game again later

I have been impressed with Mookie. He has held his on against the double teams, has push the pocket and is really mobile for a guy his size. I think NT is his natural position. I think the new system is a more natural fit for A J Johnson and Jerry Hughes as they both look like new players in this system. Even in the 4-3 if you look back over the last couple of years our run defense was always betting when Johnson was playing vs when he was injured and missed games. I'am so exited about this season, from the front office all the way down. this is a team people are not going to look foward to playing. The COLTS will be a scary team, agressive Defense, exiting Offense, the kind of team, on paper (with rookie quarterback,young players, new system, big turnover) that you are supposed to beat, but you are afraid to play. No pressure because we are not expected to be good. All this will make this team scary as heck if there on your schedule. Its a great time to be a COLTS fan. I can't wait for this season start, its gonna be fun and exiting "GO COLTS"

And that's just it! While the coaches and GM's can,obviously, be wrong, they are forming their opinions on way more information than we are.

Not sure I understand all the disappointment over Tavaseu instead of the other two choices.... Jean-Baptiste or Kitchen?

If nothing else, Tavaseu has already been in the NFL for 2 years and has played in 5 games. I realize that may not seem like much, but it's a LOT compared to a rookie who has never made a roster much less play in an actual NFL game that means something. That alone should make Tavaseu a slam-dunk choice for us.

Is there something I'm missing? If so, please tell me......

Not sure I understand all the disappointment over Tavaseu instead of the other two choices.... Jean-Baptiste or Kitchen?

If nothing else, Tavaseu has already been in the NFL for 2 years and has played in 5 games. I realize that may not seem like much, but it's a LOT compared to a rookie who has never made a roster much less play in an actual NFL game that means something. That alone should make Tavaseu a slam-dunk choice for us.

Is there something I'm missing? If so, please tell me......

im guessing people would rather have someone they know.

Ok, I will say this if you looked at the video and watched his foot work on the ladder drills? McKinney was just a big guy. But if you look at the foot work of Martin you'd have to like the signing. He's got a big lower body and upper body doesn't look like a rubber chicken. Not calling this guy BJ Raji at all but if you look at there foot work its similar. Playing the NT effectively requires a really good center of balance. You don't want someone that too tall or too short for the position. I like this pickup add's some dept and he's a young guy. Hopefully AJ, Martin & Chap can form a nice interior unit this season.

The need to rework the combine and make it more of positional sort of combine. For a NT you want to know the 5yard split and short shuttle. The bench press to me doesn't truly determine how strong a player is 225 isn't heavy its a judgement on muscle endurance. Have you seen Kelly Gregg in is prime? Looks like a truck driver so unassuming at first glance but on the field in his prime he was a good player. Don't get caught up in the dog & pony show. Value that he's coming from what is arguably the best 3-4 defensive front in football so even being on that team for as long as he has been proves he's more of a comoddity than an unproven rookie.

I think this is a decent pickup. I really don't think they are trying to find a long term solution to the position or anything, just some people that are good enough to not be noticed for being so terrible. Probably just waiting for Chapman to come up off PUP. And anyone wondering why people seem to be content with Chapman, its because the dude can bench press two OL, saw him in a video doing like 625 or something. Dude played through like half the season with an injury and was still looked at as a high round pick skill wise based on what he had showed when he was hurt. Only detraction was the fact that he was hurt. The questionability dropped his value, but Grigson decided to take a gamble, which could really pay off. If not, its a fifth round pick, not much to lose.

Chapman? I fear all this faith being put in a 5th round rookie coming off injury is clutching at big long straws.....

Respectfully, and I don't mean this as a knock on you personally, Braveheart....

But your view is a fans view.... not a GM's view.

When the Celtics drafted Larry Bird a year before they could get his services, Billy Cunningham asked Red Auerbach how he could do such a thing?? Didn't Red realize Bird wouldn't be able to help Boston for another year?? And Red's response was roughly this.... "in the grand scheme of things, for a great player, a year is nothing."

Chapman was ranked much higher than a 5th round choice. I loved that Grigson took him. As a fan it told me that Grigson was going to be patient Building this Monster, but that he would build it right.

Chapman can't help us until after week 6.... he needs time to get back into football shape so he doesn't get hurt again. He should be a very good choice for us. No reason to think otherwise. Even if he can't play the entire year, a year is a very short time. Eventually he will be the player we hope he'll be.

I know I've said this before to many..... but patience. He's a really good player and worth the wait.

Just my two cents....

I just hope he will be effective at some point when he returns, Im not expecting it this year, personally I would have kept our 4th round pick went with a healthy Ta'amu in the 4th and went with Juron Criner in the 5th. I think with Lucks ability (it appears) he could have helped Criner be a force to reckon with. I love the potential Chapman has but I also love the fact that Ta'amu' is playing and has been practicing and has been through training camp, Just my thoughts

Great another bum

Your basing this on what exactly? The fact that you've never heard of him before, or he's not dominant on your Madden game! Just wondering how many yrs. you've worked in a NFL scouting dept. that would suggest to us that we should believe you that he's a "bum".

Your basing this on what exactly? The fact that you've never heard of him before, or he's not dominant on your Madden game! Just wondering how many yrs. you've worked in a NFL scouting dept. that would suggest to us that we should believe you that he's a "bum".

Your acting as if this was some significant pickup. He wouldn't be here if Mckinney was healthy and , as a matter fact I dont think its to far fetched to say he would still be looking for a team right now, Simple answer is he is healthy and we needed a healthy backup Nose Tackle plus he appears versatile (I use that term in the sense that he has lined up at the position only), has played defensive end, if all scouts were good at what they do then the Browns would not have had a glorified Punt Returner as there #1 WR at one point, heck they would have had a good NFL quality receiver by now period