Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our new nose tackle.

StewieG

Your acting as if this was some significant pickup. He wouldn't be here if Mckinney was healthy and , as a matter fact I dont think its to far fetched to say he would still be looking for a team right now, Simple answer is he is healthy and we needed a healthy backup Nose Tackle plus he appears versatile (I use that term in the sense that he has lined up at the position only), has played defensive end, if all scouts were good at what they do then the Browns would not have had a glorified Punt Returner as there #1 WR at one point, heck they would have had a good NFL quality receiver by now period

There have been many players that have came out of nowhere and been good players. He may end up being a significant pickup, you don't know that he won't and I don't know that he will, but coming out and saying he's a bum is stupid, because we just don't know. People here think they know so much about player evaluation and just to be frank about it......we don't know crap. Yes, scouts get it wrong sometimes, pretty easy to do considering just how many players they have to look at. If Grigson thought he was a bum and he wouldn't help us out then he wouldn't be here....plain and simple.

Well, of course when Chapman gets back and healthy then he may take a back seat to him, but we don't know that he'll even be back this yr. or not. We honestly don't know if he'll even be any good or not. He hasn't played a single snap against pro level talent so his skills are still up in the air IMO until proven otherwise. we've seen many a dominant player in college come to the NFL and stink it up bigtime. The fact that we didn't have a backup NT before we signed Tevaseu makes him a significant pickup IMO. We needed a big body to fill the position and he provides that. Plus he played on one of the better D-line's in football(although not much), he was buried behind 2 good NT's in New York. From what I've read, they were surprised he was released and many of the fans thought he was pretty good.

Well, of course when Chapman gets back and healthy then he may take a back seat to him, but we don't know that he'll even be back this yr. or not. We honestly don't know if he'll even be any good or not. He hasn't played a single snap against pro level talent so his skills are still up in the air IMO until proven otherwise. we've seen many a dominant player in college come to the NFL and stink it up bigtime. The fact that we didn't have a backup NT before we signed Tevaseu makes him a significant pickup IMO. We needed a big body to fill the position and he provides that. Plus he played on one of the better D-line's in football(although not much), he was buried behind 2 good NT's in New York. From what I've read, they were surprised he was released and many of the fans thought he was pretty good.

Notice how I said IF lol

As of right now, our new NT has more experience than Chapman and is healthy. There is no guarantee that Chapman will even be 2nd string when he comes back. I never heard of Tevaseu before we signed him, but he must have some talent if the Jets drafted him. Rex Ryan seems to have an eye for NT talent. He may end up being better than Mckinney would have been for us. Hopefully he pans out

Respectfully, and I don't mean this as a knock on you personally, Braveheart....

But your view is a fans view.... not a GM's view.

When the Celtics drafted Larry Bird a year before they could get his services, Billy Cunningham asked Red Auerbach how he could do such a thing?? Didn't Red realize Bird wouldn't be able to help Boston for another year?? And Red's response was roughly this.... "in the grand scheme of things, for a great player, a year is nothing."

Chapman was ranked much higher than a 5th round choice. I loved that Grigson took him. As a fan it told me that Grigson was going to be patient Building this Monster, but that he would build it right.

Chapman can't help us until after week 6.... he needs time to get back into football shape so he doesn't get hurt again. He should be a very good choice for us. No reason to think otherwise. Even if he can't play the entire year, a year is a very short time. Eventually he will be the player we hope he'll be.

I know I've said this before to many..... but patience. He's a really good player and worth the wait.

Just my two cents....

Absolutely no 'knock' taken. Opinions on a forum are just that. But my view is a fans view, because I'm a fan, not a GM. You are a fan, and think he's a lock to help us. I know not, whether will be any good, but history tell's us, no matter the GM, or the team, this is not a pick that anyone should get realistically excited about. Just because you are a GM, means nothing. Have a look at our drafts these past five years.

The Larry Bird stuff is alien to me, so it made no sense.

I just dont get all the dislike for Johnson in this new system by some

Hes a penetrating 2 technique DT. Hes made to collapse the pocket with vicious pass rush and push the line in the run game. But in the new 3-4 hes playing 1 technique. His job now is to eat up blocks In the run game to make lanes for LBs. He isnt built for that

Hes a penetrating 2 technique DT. Hes made to collapse the pocket with vicious pass rush and push the line in the run game. But in the new 3-4 hes playing 1 technique. His job now is to eat up blocks In the run game to make lanes for LBs. He isnt built for that

AJ is not a gap penetrator. Nevis and matthews are but johnson definitely is not. He is a space eater. His job is to occupy 2 blockers and hold his ground. If he can get a push on those 2 blockers then even better. If the offense leaves a single blocker on him then he should be able to push that guy into the backfield. He did these things all preseason and did them well, better than mckinney imo.

Also i could be wrong on this but i believe the nt in a 2 gap 3-4 is playing the 0 technique.

bum? the guy who actually HAS nfl experiance in a 3-4? who the jets, and fans alike actually loved and cant believed he got cut? yeah, he must be a bum....way worse than a couple of UDFA's who got cut. Im going to stick with Pagano and Grigson on this one thx!

I am not going to bash a player I don't know at all. He is a Colt right now and I will support him till he shows me he don't deserve my support. There are a lot of players who come and go and there is a gamble in every one of them. Sometimes they stick and sometime not. Being a fan does give some the ability to whine about every roster move. I been around a long time and don't care to whine and cry about moves the team makes. I also don't claim to know more than those in charge of the Colts. All I can do is support the Colts through the good and bad times. I know that fan is short for fanatic but some carry that to extremes.