Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Best Remaining Free Agents

Here is a list of the best remaining free agents by position for potential positional needs for the Colts.  Do you see Ballard bringing any of these players in to compete for a roster spot?  

(Age in Parentheses)

Runningback

DeMarco Murray (30) 

Eddie Lacy (27) 

Shane Vereen (29) 

Jamaal Charles (31) 

Alfred Morris (29) 

Orleans Darkwa (26) 

Wide Receiver 

Dez Bryant (29) 

Jeremy Maclin (30) 

Eric Decker (31) 

Harry Douglas (32) 

Dontrelle Inman (29) 

Outside Linebacker 

Jelani Jenkins (27) 

Jonathan Casillas (30) 

Keenan Robinson (28) 

Koa Misi (31) 

Inside Linebacker

NaVorro Bowman (29) 

Lawrence Timmons (32)

Michael Wilhoite (31) 

Gerald Hodges (27) 

Brian Cushing (31) 

Cornerback

Bashaud Breeland (26) - I do think once his foot heals that we will sign him.  

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (31) 

Sean Smith (30) 

Jeremy Lane (27) 

Delvin Breaux (28) 

Alterraun Verner (29) 

Robert McClain (29) 

I know we are in a pretty good spot at RB, but Orleans Darkwa would be an interesting signing.  I think signing another veteran WR and CB would at the very least improve the depth at those positions.  I'm hoping Ballard signs Breeland once his foot heals.  I think we would have a pretty decent secondary overall with Breeland being added.  There's not many good linebackers left.  NaVorro Bowman would be an interesting pickup, but it is highly unlikely Ballard would bring him in.  Most of these players are heading or already into their 30s and I think Ballard wants to maintain with youthful team (outside of Vinatieri - the oldest player in the league).  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Really surprised Darkwa still isn’t signed by anyone. He had 750 yards running behind an awful 3-13 team with one of the worst Olines (and offenses) in football. He’d be a good guy to have in a RBBC I think (not that I’m saying the colts should sign him. I’m fine with Mack, Turbin, Hines and Wilkins).

• Like 1

Definitely think there is a good shot at bringing in Breeland, once healed. Another curious CB is Jeremy Lane, with the Seattle ties and only 27.

Also, still holding out hope on Dez, would be such a great compliment to our team, on a 1yr prove it deal. Luck would do wonders for him, as would Dez for Luck.

Like Moose said above, it would most likely be Inman though with his SD connections.

Don't feel the need for a RB, we have 3 young guys that have some potential. Got to see what we got. Saying that, Eddie Lacy is intriguing. Big body guy to pound at a team.

LB is our thinnest spot, but none of those guys do much for me. Maybe Hodges? Crazy Bowman is only 29, would be great leadership for sure.

17 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Safety?

No one listed there?

Of the players you listed the most obvious is Breeland.   I'm still hoping for this one.    But with the coaches "hoping" that Hooker and Geathers are good for trying camp, another safety might be in order.

Yep...they need another S. And I think they know that...because a month ago they brought in two of them (well before we heard anything about Geathers). 

If Geathers was just rehabbing an off-season injury (like Hooker), it would be one thing. But he is coming off a serious neck injury and has had at least one concussion. And for those reasons (or maybe another injury), he was held out of OTAs. Given the physical nature of the position, I just don’t think you can rely on him at the top of the depth chart.

With the new defense, having three Ss is a must to run big nickel. Even if we can assume Hooker will be back, that leaves Farley and then Geathers and then who else knows. Signing one of Vaccaro or Boston covers the Colts and improves the defense. 

• Like 1

I personally think a lot of these guys will get calls when training camp starts and the (more serious) injury reports for various teams begin to roll in.  And I feel some other clubs will try to avoid making the call until after game 1 is played, if but for one reason.

I believe if a vet FA signed player is on a team roster when game 1 is played, his whole salary is guaranteed for that season.  No matter what. If he is signed week 2 or beyond, then the contract details dictates what, when how much, how long.  Maybe we should consult Superman on this.  This is much more in his area of expertise than mine.

• Like 1

Depending how our new WRs look, I'd take a look at Dontrelle Inman. Breeland is another I would hope Ballard looks at. I agree that Safety has to be an area to find too. We're so thin there unless we somehow for some reason put Green back there again.

20 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Safety?

No one listed there?

Of the players you listed the most obvious is Breeland.   I'm still hoping for this one.    But with the coaches "hoping" that Hooker and Geathers are good for trying camp, another safety might be in order.

Safety is a big concern, no doubt about it. Geathers and Hooker are still not 100% and the team won't know how they look until training camp begins. Until then, I doubt anything happens. Once TC ramps up, I suspect some movement on one of the remaining FAs out there, because I have the feeling one of our starters is going to be slow in getting back to full speed. 

I will just see how it plays out.   You have  TJ Green who isn't a bad in the box player, plus Mathias Farley.  Ronald Martin was a pretty agressive In The Box safety at LSU and word is George Odum has been making numerous plays in practice.   It wouldn't surprise me if they brought in others but they posted on the main website that they were pretty happy with their young DBs so we'll see.

On 6/16/2018 at 2:29 PM, Caleb3502 said:

Here is a list of the best remaining free agents by position for potential positional needs for the Colts.  Do you see Ballard bringing any of these players in to compete for a roster spot?  

(Age in Parentheses)

Runningback

DeMarco Murray (30) 

Eddie Lacy (27) 

Shane Vereen (29) 

Jamaal Charles (31) 

Alfred Morris (29) 

Orleans Darkwa (26) 

Wide Receiver 

Dez Bryant (29) 

Jeremy Maclin (30) 

Eric Decker (31) 

Harry Douglas (32) 

Dontrelle Inman (29) 

Outside Linebacker 

Jelani Jenkins (27) 

Jonathan Casillas (30) 

Keenan Robinson (28) 

Koa Misi (31) 

Inside Linebacker

NaVorro Bowman (29) 

Lawrence Timmons (32)

Michael Wilhoite (31) 

Gerald Hodges (27) 

Brian Cushing (31) 

Cornerback

Bashaud Breeland (26) - I do think once his foot heals that we will sign him.  

Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie (31) 

Sean Smith (30) 

Jeremy Lane (27) 

Delvin Breaux (28) 

Alterraun Verner (29) 

Robert McClain (29) 

I know we are in a pretty good spot at RB, but Orleans Darkwa would be an interesting signing.  I think signing another veteran WR and CB would at the very least improve the depth at those positions.  I'm hoping Ballard signs Breeland once his foot heals.  I think we would have a pretty decent secondary overall with Breeland being added.  There's not many good linebackers left.  NaVorro Bowman would be an interesting pickup, but it is highly unlikely Ballard would bring him in.  Most of these players are heading or already into their 30s and I think Ballard wants to maintain with youthful team (outside of Vinatieri - the oldest player in the league).  

Caleb....

Been meaning to thank you for doing this.     Very good of you to break it down this way and also include the ages as you did.     You clearly did your research and it's very much appreciated by all of us here,  especially during the quiet part of the off-season.

NCF

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 6/17/2018 at 6:21 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Safety?

No one listed there?

I felt like the Safety group was in a pretty good spot with Farley, Hooker, and Geathers with Martin/Green/Odum battling it out for the fourth spot, but I could see bringing in another S given Geathers' injury history and Hooker's rehab.  I'll list some of the remaining Safeties, and there's quite a bit of them remaining that could add some decent depth.  

• Thanks 1

Safeties

Kenny Vaccaro (27) 

Eric Reid (26) 

Tre Boston (25) 

Mike Mitchell (30) 

Quintin Demps (32) 

Tyvon Branch (32) 

Ron Parker (30) 

Corey Graham (32) 

TJ Ward (31) 

Ladarius Webb (32) 

Nate Allen (30) 

Eddie Pleasant (29) 

Jarius Byrd (31) 

Will Blackmon (33) 

Chris Prosinkski (30)

Keith McGill (29) 

Shamarko Thomas (27) 

Colt Anderson (32) 

Steve Terrell (27) 

Darius Butler (32) 

There's definitely some younger safeties still available that can provide depth for the Colts.  We had brought Tre Boston and Kenny Vaccaro, so if Ballard and the rest of the staff feel Geathers and Hooker will not be ready for September, I expect to see one of the signed, possibly both based on the status of Geathers' injuries and Hooker's recovery.  Someone like Corey Graham could also be a decent veteran backup, he played rather decently for the Eagles last season.  

• Thanks 1

Jeremy Lane knows the D and plays well in a zone. Not sure why everyone is all about Breeland.  He is not some all-star by any means. I would take Lane on a small one year deal for depth. I would use a flyer on Bowman as a MLB guy. He would start imo, but Ballard might see that as handicapping Walker and the young guys. Safety wise I would go for Boston, personally I would go for Reid if all the bull crap was out of the picture.

18 hours ago, krunk said:

I will just see how it plays out.   You have  TJ Green who isn't a bad in the box player, plus Mathias Farley.  Ronald Martin was a pretty agressive In The Box safety at LSU and word is George Odum has been making numerous plays in practice.   It wouldn't surprise me if they brought in others but they posted on the main website that they were pretty happy with their young DBs so we'll see.

George Odum

"Prospect Grade

Better-than-Average Chance to Make NFL Roster"

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/george-odum?id=32462018-0002-5611-3142-4d2f9c3e08fd

On 6/19/2018 at 5:27 AM, DaColts85 said:

Jeremy Lane knows the D and plays well in a zone. Not sure why everyone is all about Breeland.  He is not some all-star by any means. I would take Lane on a small one year deal for depth. I would use a flyer on Bowman as a MLB guy. He would start imo, but Ballard might see that as handicapping Walker and the young guys. Safety wise I would go for Boston, personally I would go for Reid if all the bull crap was out of the picture.

You're right,  he's not an all-star.    But Breeland is easily the best zone corner available.    Good enough to command a contract of 3/24 when he was thought to be healthy.     And he was ranked as a top-40 free agent on every reputable top-100 free agent list.    NFL.com,  PFF and ESPN.com.     

So,  he may be average, or slightly above average,  but no one here is sure that we have any one better.   Someone from our collection of unknowns may wind up being that,   but no one knows for sure.   We're all guessing.   I'd be very happy to have him signed,  especially since Wilson apparently didn't play much this spring due to some unknown minor injury.

I don't see a downside to signing Breeland with a decent chance for a good upside.    You don't often get a chance to sign someone of his ability to a bargain contract.     I'd take it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

You're right,  he's not an all-star.    But Breeland is easily the best zone corner available.    Good enough to command a contract of 3/24 when he was thought to be healthy.     And he was ranked as a top-40 free agent on every reputable top-100 free agent list.    NFL.com,  PFF and ESPN.com.     

So,  he may be average, or slightly above average,  but no one here is sure that we have any one better.   Someone from our collection of unknowns may wind up being that,   but no one knows for sure.   We're all guessing.   I'd be very happy to have him signed,  especially since Wilson apparently didn't play much this spring due to some unknown minor injury.

I don't see a downside to signing Breeland with a decent chance for a good upside.    You don't often get a chance to sign someone of his ability to a bargain contract.     I'd take it.

If there was a possibly bargain contract there then it might have already happened. Any list can put whatever number they want on him...that means nothing. As a zone corner he was not bad and could be better than what we have right now, but you said it...who knows! He could come in and be a bust just as easy as the guy getting league minimum. Ballard clearly doesn't see enough to worry about him right now. Desir and Wilson could workout very well with Hairston working in there at nickel or possible outside guy as well. My mention of Jeremy Lane in the quoted portion above still stands true in my eyes. He knows the scheme or a similar scheme well and does not play that bad. Would do fine for us for less than Breeland.

In this league, if you are average or just slightly better (and stay that way), then you are on a list to be replaced... when better becomes available. OTOH, in this salary cap era, no team can have every position with much better then average players. So it is where a team is willing to be average.  Is CB that position for us this year?

• Like 1

On 6/18/2018 at 7:07 PM, Savage said:

I wanted Eric Decker back in 2014.

I feel he was worth a look back then.  I just don't think so anymore.  He was injured 2 years ago and missed almost the whole year (only started/played in 3 games).  Last year he only started 8 games for the Titans, but played in all 16.  Only had 2 TD's, one during the season and a game winner in playoffs.  He has slowed and isn't the Red Zone target he once was.  Once a 1000+ yd/season WR, he has just 750 yards (375 yds/yr avg) over the last 2 years, starting in 11 and playing in 19 out of 32 games.  I'll pass.

• Thanks 2