Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What's your take on the Ravens QB situation?

bap1331

The fact that they moved up to get a QB is alarming. You can't say that hes not their future QB because or else they wouldnt have traded up but at the same time, he could light a spark to get Flacco to work his butt off and stop being lazy. I can't understand why Eli and Flacco have 3 super bowl rings but can barely make it to the playoffs.

From what the "experts" are saying it will be a completely different offense and they will have to commit to it. Lamar Jackson and RG3 are similiar quarterbacks. Flacco is making way too much money for how he's playing, could be cut next year for big cap savings. As for why those super bowl quarterbacks can't make the playoffs, possibly because Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed retired.

33 minutes ago, bap1331 said:

The fact that they moved up to get a QB is alarming. You can't say that hes not their future QB because or else they wouldnt have traded up but at the same time, he could light a spark to get Flacco to work his butt off and stop being lazy. I can't understand why Eli and Flacco have 3 super bowl rings but can barely make it to the playoffs.

For some reason people seem to forget this is a team game.  Those QB's had great teams around them.  Now they don't.

18 minutes ago, Bshultz said:

From what the "experts" are saying it will be a completely different offense and they will have to commit to it. Lamar Jackson and RG3 are similiar quarterbacks. Flacco is making way too much money for how he's playing, could be cut next year for big cap savings. As for why those super bowl quarterbacks can't make the playoffs, possibly because Michael Strahan, Ray Lewis, and Ed Reed retired.

It's risky but it could work.  RG3 got derailed quite a bit by a bad situation.  Feels like the owner gave him favorable treatment which fundamentally changed his character.  A more stable situation where he's not going to be made into a team savior and time to work on some flaws may have done him some good.  

• Thanks 1

Eli and Flacco were not the the elite QBs they were getting paid to be, at least for not more than 1 or 2 seasons.

The trade up for Jackson for the last pick in the first round was not so much because of talent as much as to secure the fifth year option as well.  I doubt any team would have picked him before Baltimore's second since the 1st few teams in the second got their QB in the 1st.  Maybe MIA, but they didn't have the picks to get up too far. 

Building an offense around the unique attributes of an unconventional QB seems risky.  Maybe they can get different kinds of offensive players than the norm, thereby saving money to invest in defense.

I'm sure the Baltimore fan base will give him some time to show 

6 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Eli and Flacco were not the the elite QBs they were getting paid to be, at least for not more than 1 or 2 seasons.

The trade up for Jackson for the last pick in the first round was not so much because of talent as much as to secure the fifth year option as well.  I doubt any team would have picked him before Baltimore's second since the 1st few teams in the second got their QB in the 1st.  Maybe MIA, but they didn't have the picks to get up too far. 

Building an offense around the unique attributes of an unconventional QB seems risky.  Maybe they can get different kinds of offensive players than the norm, thereby saving money to invest in defense.

Only reason why Eli will make the HOFame is because he won 2 SB's by beatng the Pats. Flacco is not a HOFamer IMO. 2 SB wins as a starter automatically gets you in the Hall unless your Jimmy Plunkett lmao. It should though because only 11 different QB's have won 2 as a starter. Glad Peyton got #2 to join that group eventhough without it he would've still made the Hall.

On 4/27/2018 at 1:56 PM, bap1331 said:

I don't think, could be wrong, that Eli jas ever led the Giants to a division title.

They were wildcards when they won both super bowls.

On ‎4‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 5:19 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Only reason why Eli will make the HOFame is because he won 2 SB's by beatng the Pats. Flacco is not a HOFamer IMO. 2 SB wins as a starter automatically gets you in the Hall unless your Jimmy Plunkett lmao. It should though because only 11 different QB's have won 2 as a starter. Glad Peyton got #2 to join that group eventhough without it he would've still made the Hall.

shhhh.....QB's don't make HOF based on what team they beat. I realize you think NE is the gold standard :)

Plus SB's alone do not make a HOF. Jim Kelly, Marino, Tarkenton.=  zero

13 minutes ago, -JJ- said:

shhhh.....QB's don't make HOF based on what team they beat. I realize you think NE is the gold standard :)

Plus SB's alone do not make a HOF. Jim Kelly, Marino, Tarkenton.=  zero

I understand QB's can get in with no SB wins, like Marino and Kelly just because they are simply Great. My point is that is what will get Eli in IMO, otherwise I don't think Eli gets in with no SB wins. Those 2 wins over the Pats will get him in.

Not a fan of QBs who's best asset is the ability to run. L. Jackson has a huge learning curve. The read option was figured out after two seasons just as the wildcat was. He will have to learn how to play under center and read defenses , while making adjustments at the LOS. I’m skeptical he becomes a franchise signal caller. Reminds a little like V. Young.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Will there be a point where we see both on the field for some gadget plays?

Could be. Since college is not a place to train players for the NFL (they are about winning too), the NFL is incorporating more college 'looks', zone read, RPO's, etc... into the playbook.  But learning to play from under center and in the pocket will never go away.

9 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Could be. Since college is not a place to train players for the NFL (they are about winning too), the NFL is incorporating more college 'looks', zone read, RPO's, etc... into the playbook.  But learning to play from under center and in the pocket will never go away.

I don't actually think this for a minute given the QB situation the Ravens have, nor the draft position, but the suggestions of a position change were pretty strong. But would it preclude them from using him in such a way for a a few trick plays?

On 5/11/2018 at 11:14 PM, ColtsBlueFL said:

Flacco has never really been challenged at QB, except for his contract year.  He banked on himself and won big.  Now they are challenging him again.  Hr might rise once more.

That isn’t the kind of QB I would want starting on my team. He should be able to motivate himself by this late stage of his career. It really shouldn’t take someone threatening his starting spot for him to play at a high level. We have all seen Flacco perform at a high level. He has the skill. He just doesn’t have the work ethic. 

• Like 1

Flacco  has to be the lowest key guy in the league.  He is offensive lineman like. He gets no press, no elite consideration, no trouble, no respect, etc....very fortunate to have played on a great team with a great GM.  Yet, somehow, I like him.  Maybe he needs new system and better receives. 

It comes down to Flacco's contract, the Ravens have had salary cap issues since he got that monster deal. If he plays this season even remotely similar to last season you can bet he will be cut and the Ravens will suddenly have a lot of money to spend, and a young quarterback already waiting on the bench.

Jackson has a quite a bit to learn before he is ready to be an NFL Quarterback but I really like the guy. He's shown steady improvement throwing the ball in each season at Louisville and I think he has underrated arm talent. I think he'll be a successful QB. 

Josh Rosen will be the best out of all the QBs in this draft though. 

• 2 weeks later...

The Ravens' QB situation is a disaster. Flacco is overrated and over the hill. RG3 and Jackson (RG4?) are stop-gap QBs at best -- square pegs trying to fit a round hole. The league's DCs figured out how to stop that stuff in Griffin's second year, and it just doesn't work any longer. I think they're planning to limp along for a couple of years until they get so bad that they draw an early draft pick, then get a true "Franchise QB of the Future". 

Lamar has strong potential IMO, so disagree with poster above.  Flacco is well, Flacco.  My guess is they ride Flacco through the year before turning it over to Lamar.  With Flacco playing so poorly, wouldn’t shock me if Lamar outplays him and gets in games this year.

On April 27, 2018 at 4:10 PM, DougDew said:

Well written post DD. I agree completely with your statements I bolded in red. I don't understand how 2 field generals who usually play below average in the regular season can come alive & play lights out in the post season if they somehow manage to slide or back into it. 

I'm a firm believer in winning from the pocket vs using your legs on jailbreak plays. I don't see Jackson as the Ravens heir apparent face of the franchise either. Aaron Rodgers wasn't that great out of college & he revamped his footwork & throwing motion & became elite. However, I don't see Lamar following in similar footsteps either. Ozzie does have a knack for selecting diamonds in the rough so, I can't call Jackson a lost cause just yet. 

Flacco certainly hasn't built on his Lombardi Trophy achievement though that is true. No argument there. 

On May 17, 2018 at 6:12 AM, NannyMcafee said:

We have all seen Flacco perform at a high level. He has the skill. He just doesn’t have the work ethic. 

You might be on to something there NM. I'd love to ask that question to T-sizzle 1 on 1 privately in Baltimore. 

Suggs is a straight shooter. I admire that about him. 

On April 28, 2018 at 6:56 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

My point is that is what will get Eli in IMO, otherwise I don't think Eli gets in with no SB wins. Those 2 wins over the Pats will get him in.

That is a fascinating question to debate CBE because Eli has missed the playoffs several yrs excluding his 2 Boston upsets. He doesn't necessarily have monster 5,000 yard passing seasons. 

What would be intriguing is if Manning only had the 2007 SB victory on his resume because that victory was so remarkable & unexpected with the Pats only loss that year 18-1.  Eli has gotten a ton of mileage out of those 2 SB wins even though Easy E hasn't exactly played elite ball for over a decade like his brother did. 

You're probably right. Taking down Emperor Palpatine & Darth Vader with a supermodel wife carries tremendous cache indeed. 

On May 12, 2018 at 7:37 AM, ColtsBlueFL said:

But learning to play from under center and in the pocket will never go away.

Bingo! CBFL just confirmed or reinforced what GMs & HC's really want & go after. QBs who win from the neck up slicing up secondaries with their eyes & arms. RG3 & Micheal Vick never won rings.

Russell Wilson did, but he's an outlier not the norm. Really Wagner, Chancellor, & Lynch were essential pieces that closed that deal. Yes, Wilson played well against the Broncos in 2013. I know that. 

• Like 1