Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Browns let Grigs man the phones in CLE or what?

Jackie Daytona

I don't get this...not the Browns being Browns part...that all makes sense...but I wouldn't have guessed AJ McCarron was still in the league...he wasn't very good in college and the Browns have two quarterbacks that are both younger and better than him...this is as fortunate of a thing that's happened to Cleveland since LeBron James came in promptly represented about 78% of the city's economic output...

9 minutes ago, mikey287 said:

I don't get this...not the Browns being Browns part...that all makes sense...but I wouldn't have guessed AJ McCarron was still in the league...he wasn't very good in college and the Browns have two quarterbacks that are both younger and better than him...this is as fortunate of a thing that's happened to Cleveland since LeBron James came in promptly represented about 78% of the city's economic output...

McCarron has been considered one of the best back ups for the past few years.

Who are the good Browns QBs?

To me, it suits the Bengals right. They really held back AJ's opportunities as much as they could by asking for the moon every time they could, just to keep him from getting away from his rookie contract. If I am him, I explore all my market options first and explore coming back to the Bengals last. Plus, it is not just AJ that they have done with, they have done it to the others too in the past.

Huh? Considered by whom? He hasn't thrown a ball in the NFL in three years...

Kizer, who has about as high of a ceiling as anyone in his draft class...and Cody Kessler, who is more of a system type QB. If he was in a situation where he didn't need to be a hero (like Andrew Luck for instance) and he could just sit back there and tear teams apart 8 yards at a time and only need to get to 21 points (Sam Bradford, for instance, in Minnesota has this luxury) then he'd be a very effective player. If a New England or someone got him, he'd probably end up being a player...

But McCarron is a complete nobody...he was a nobody at 'Bama, and he's a nobody here...just not an enticing skill set unless something has changed over the last 12 months or so...which is possible, but he never gave off "I have a ceiling of an NFL starter" vibe for most of his developmental years...

10 minutes ago, buccolts said:

McCarron has been considered one of the best back ups for the past few years.

Who are the good Browns QBs?

Dude can't hit a wideout 10 yards downfield all his yards come from screens and pass around line of scrimmage . 

That's correct, it doesn't change anything. He hasn't shown the upside to be even a mid-tier NFL starter, so the idea that he is a desirable piece is seen as strange to those who have been watching him since he was at Bama (well, not the last couple years, as he hasn't been good enough to play in the league during this time)...

How they would somehow net more for him than Jimmy G is startling and seemingly the nature of some sort of Halloween prank...

47 minutes ago, B~Town said:

Dude can't hit a wideout 10 yards downfield all his yards come from screens and pass around line of scrimmage . 

That is what you get if you go based on highlights. I saw several games of his when Dalton went down in 2015, he held down the fort real well. But then, the Bengals OL was top notch a couple of years ago, unlike now, I will give you that.

His throws outside the numbers were very accurate, and yes he was hitting 15-20 yard throws real well. We have a HOF QB that has made a living out of 15-20 yard throws, so let us not downplay the accuracy in that distance. I watched him closely on that MNF regular season game vs the Broncos because I owned the Broncos' D in fantasy football going against him in 2015. He took very good care of the ball then and my fantasy D did not do well against him till overtime. He threw away the ball, did not take unnecessary sacks, and kept them in the game till a bad center-QB snap caused a fumble in OT that the Broncos recovered and won that game.

Plus, when he had to march down the field BEFORE Burfict speared Antonio Brown in a wild card playoff game winning FG drive for Big Ben, he did so and the Bengals scored a TD. He showed very good composure for a playoff game then in 2015.

Like I said before, the Browns were suckers for the Bengals' typical hard stance and in the long run, Hue Jackson might very well get AJ, without giving up those ridiculous draft picks. I am happy it turned out this way so that the Bengals get what they deserve.

1 hour ago, mikey287 said:

That's correct, it doesn't change anything. He hasn't shown the upside to be even a mid-tier NFL starter, so the idea that he is a desirable piece is seen as strange to those who have been watching him since he was at Bama (well, not the last couple years, as he hasn't been good enough to play in the league during this time)...

How they would somehow net more for him than Jimmy G is startling and seemingly the nature of some sort of Halloween prank...

1. Get used to using the 'quote' option, as it let's me know you're responding to me. I just stumbled across this, and your previous.

2. McCarron hasn't performed as poorly as you portray, but you're barking up the wrong tree on this. Call ESPN and NFLN to voice your dismay. I'm just letting you know that he's considered a top candidate when people start talking about back ups.

3. I thought Kessler played fairly well last year, but I understand they're want to upgrade from him. Kiser has a higher ceiling, but that's just 'potential', and he's not shown he'll reach it yet. So, he's not proven to be better than McCarron..... yet.

1. Meh...there's wasn't a lot to rebuke in my post, so I figured it wouldn't solicit a response.

2. I don't think I've commented much on his performance, performance - in very small sample sizes - is heavily influenced by circumstance. I comment on talent. Talent is what leads to long-term success. AJ is notably lacking in this area as of the last time I saw him and the years leading up to that last time. I do not watch those networks, it seems like they sling some serious misinformation, so I will continue to not give them my business. I appreciate the update that they are still bad.

3. I'd understand wanting to upgrade on Kessler as well, as he's not a system fit. Cleveland needs someone to play "hero ball" until they build some semblance of a team. Kessler needs to be in a Minnesota or a New England. McCarron, also not a "plus" quarterback, would need this to have a prayer also...and even that is asking a lot from him. The difference between Kizer and McCarron's potential, is that Kizer has some. I'm not sure what McCarron has "shown" or "proven" yet...Kizer has played more games in the show at 21 than McCarron has played up to and including the age of 27. That will be the case at 28 as well.

4 hours ago, mikey287 said:

Huh? Considered by whom? He hasn't thrown a ball in the NFL in three years...

Kizer, who has about as high of a ceiling as anyone in his draft class...and Cody Kessler, who is more of a system type QB. If he was in a situation where he didn't need to be a hero (like Andrew Luck for instance) and he could just sit back there and tear teams apart 8 yards at a time and only need to get to 21 points (Sam Bradford, for instance, in Minnesota has this luxury) then he'd be a very effective player. If a New England or someone got him, he'd probably end up being a player...

But McCarron is a complete nobody...he was a nobody at 'Bama, and he's a nobody here...just not an enticing skill set unless something has changed over the last 12 months or so...which is possible, but he never gave off "I have a ceiling of an NFL starter" vibe for most of his developmental years...

AJ won the Johnny Unitas Golden Arm award at Bama, the Maxwell Award, #1 in the NCAA in passer rating, #9 in SEC history of tds, #1 in the country in adjusted passing yds/attempt. Threw for over 9000 yds in his career there with 77tds to only 15 ints and a career 162.5 passer rating. Oh and led his team to back to back National Championships. Lets compare him to Deshone Kizer...47tds to 19ints and 5805 yds while last leading his team to a 4-8 record and one of the most disappointing season in Irish history.....and yeah...no awards....other than named to preseason watch lists before falling off a cliff when he had to go out on the field and perform.

I'm not saying AJ Mccaron is the next Peyton Manning far from it but he did an excellent job filling in for Dalton when he was out and had all but helped his team win their first post-season game in two decades before his defense went off the deep end. Mccaron outclasses Kizer in every way...even including his gf/wife (which I'm sure Deshone's is lovely).

This is not a tenable position. Nor does it address talent concerns. Naturally, the guy who was a four-year starter on the only semi-pro team in his completely amateur racket did well...just like all of their RBs that pan out in the pros...*cough*

Scott Tolzien also won the Golden Arm award, which doesn't necessarily just focus on on-the-field exploits. There is no correlation between winning that award and being successful:

Good: Mariota, Luck, Ryan, Mannings.Palmer

Bad: Basically everyone else: Cook, Klein, Tolzien, McCoy, Harrell, Quinn, Leinart, Jason White, Weinke, Redman, McNown, Wuerffel, Frazier, Barker, Ward, Torretta, Weldon, etc.

Yeah, again, the passer rating thing...you're making my point for me...as there is a lot more failure there than success. Same with passing yards, I mean look at the top-15 all-time leaders in passing yards in NCAA history...did even three of them become NFL successes? I haven't looked at the list in a while, but I believe it's a Who's Who of Nobodies.

I don't get why you would need to cut the legs out from Kizer and not mention his 10-win season as a first-year starter. That smacks of needless bias in what is already a flimsy, contextless tale that meanders along the line of irrelevance to the subject matter (the pro prospects of a quarterback). 

Heh, oh wait I just realized it got better. So, Kizer got no credit for the 10-win season (only for one of the most disappointing ones in history or whatever noise) but McCarron gets credit for "helped his team win their first postseason game in two decades before..." - a home playoff game, that he lost, because he couldn't generate any offense at all for three quarters...? He gets credit for a win there...? This is bad even for internet discourse.

And to sum it all up, somehow, Kizer is "outclassed" in every way (with a creepy reference to resident creep Brent Musberger's infatuation with a 19 year old college girl or whatever)...yet not one instance of any talent that McCarron has over Kizer (hint: there isn't much there)...no mention that Kizer started as a 20 or 21 year old rookie and McCarron won't crack the league before 28 if he ever does...no mention that Kizer has much more arm talent, that he can actually push balls to the boundary without a giant hitch step, has almost no mobility, lacks pocket poise (I mean, he did have 9 seconds to throw at Bama, so that makes sense, as he hasn't seen an edge rusher since his junior year of high school), is not a strong iso thrower, is not a threat to push the ball over 15 yards down the field reliably, his accuracy on flat patterns is inconsistent because he lazily doesn't step through that pass and his late release point causes balls to dip into the ground and away from receivers which prevents YAC, really his somewhat lazy mechanics are a big drawback, he just doesn't follow through enough with his hips/shoulders/front foot to reliably deliver footballs with a consistent release/release point, his shoulders sit back and away while his feet/knees/hips remain pretty stiff, which takes away from any zip he could possibly have...while Kizer is skinny, he's also still a kid...even as a grown man, McCarron doesn't have much of a frame...which might explain his timidness against any semblance of a rush...

I'd be happy to discuss the prospects of these players from a talent perspective, as "hotter girlfriend" is not readily used to determine who gets a starting job in the NFL...

54 minutes ago, mikey287 said:

This is not a tenable position. Nor does it address talent concerns. Naturally, the guy who was a four-year starter on the only semi-pro team in his completely amateur racket did well...just like all of their RBs that pan out in the pros...*cough*

Scott Tolzien also won the Golden Arm award, which doesn't necessarily just focus on on-the-field exploits. There is no correlation between winning that award and being successful:

Good: Mariota, Luck, Ryan, Mannings.Palmer

Bad: Basically everyone else: Cook, Klein, Tolzien, McCoy, Harrell, Quinn, Leinart, Jason White, Weinke, Redman, McNown, Wuerffel, Frazier, Barker, Ward, Torretta, Weldon, etc.

Yeah, again, the passer rating thing...you're making my point for me...as there is a lot more failure there than success. Same with passing yards, I mean look at the top-15 all-time leaders in passing yards in NCAA history...did even three of them become NFL successes? I haven't looked at the list in a while, but I believe it's a Who's Who of Nobodies.

I don't get why you would need to cut the legs out from Kizer and not mention his 10-win season as a first-year starter. That smacks of needless bias in what is already a flimsy, contextless tale that meanders along the line of irrelevance to the subject matter (the pro prospects of a quarterback). 

Heh, oh wait I just realized it got better. So, Kizer got no credit for the 10-win season (only for one of the most disappointing ones in history or whatever noise) but McCarron gets credit for "helped his team win their first postseason game in two decades before..." - a home playoff game, that he lost, because he couldn't generate any offense at all for three quarters...? He gets credit for a win there...? This is bad even for internet discourse.

And to sum it all up, somehow, Kizer is "outclassed" in every way (with a creepy reference to resident creep Brent Musberger's infatuation with a 19 year old college girl or whatever)...yet not one instance of any talent that McCarron has over Kizer (hint: there isn't much there)...no mention that Kizer started as a 20 or 21 year old rookie and McCarron won't crack the league before 28 if he ever does...no mention that Kizer has much more arm talent, that he can actually push balls to the boundary without a giant hitch step, has almost no mobility, lacks pocket poise (I mean, he did have 9 seconds to throw at Bama, so that makes sense, as he hasn't seen an edge rusher since his junior year of high school), is not a strong iso thrower, is not a threat to push the ball over 15 yards down the field reliably, his accuracy on flat patterns is inconsistent because he lazily doesn't step through that pass and his late release point causes balls to dip into the ground and away from receivers which prevents YAC, really his somewhat lazy mechanics are a big drawback, he just doesn't follow through enough with his hips/shoulders/front foot to reliably deliver footballs with a consistent release/release point, his shoulders sit back and away while his feet/knees/hips remain pretty stiff, which takes away from any zip he could possibly have...while Kizer is skinny, he's also still a kid...even as a grown man, McCarron doesn't have much of a frame...which might explain his timidness against any semblance of a rush...

I'd be happy to discuss the prospects of these players from a talent perspective, as "hotter girlfriend" is not readily used to determine who gets a starting job in the NFL...

From what I saw at ND...and in Cleveland Deshone Kizer looks HORRIBLE.....like unplayable. Why did they bench him if he has sooo much potential. He can't make reads, is inaccurate, and he has a poor attitude/lazy whatever you want to put it. The kid has measurables...but he doesn't have IT. I don't think McCarron is great but he has his head on his shoulders and he can make all the throws necessary. He takes care of the ball and clearly Hugh Jackson liked him and he has seen both qbs up close and worked with them....and he is a qb expert. I trust his judgement. If Kizer turns out to be anything special I would happily admit I'm wrong....but I won't hold my breath. I'm not going to sit here and argue about it...neither have a big enough resume to base anything off of.....but one has two national championship as a leader of the team making all the throws making the right reads and when he did start played very well in Cincy....the other has basically been a train wreck in college (after the coach took the training wheels off him after his first season) and has looked as bad as anyone I've ever seen in the NFL so far play the position.....can he make some huge leap...possibly but he doesn't look like the type that will....he acts like the type that thinks he can get by on his athleticism and talent and not put in the work....that ain't going to cut it. Deshone Kizer is a talented kid but a bad qb...in my eyes AJ lacks the big frame, big arm but has the brain and the leadership qualities that can overcome his short comings and be a solid qb. So why do you think Jackson gave up on Kizer and benched him and why did he try to trade for McCarron? Again I'm not trying to argue who is better....but you said McCarron was a NOBODY...I was simply refuting that...and I think I proved my point with his accolades while he was there....and think Kizer if he played at any other college other than ND probably would have had 0 recognition and nobody would know of him.

I don't know what you could have been watching. Scouting off of highlights is fool's gold, so here's an every throw video...I don't think you'll watch it because you seem incredibly biased against this player for whatever reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lm7uABtQQk 

They benched him because the franchise has been running around like a headless chicken since Bernie Kosar. They play three quarterbacks a year, they hire a new coach every year...I mean that's just Browns being Browns. I mean, Christ, they failed to make a trade because they forgot to call the league...they. forgot. to. call. the. league. You're taking their side...those guys. The guys that forgot to call the league. About a trade. Forgot to call them. Them.

They benched him because they have not successfully developed virtually any skill players in a while. It's unclear that they know how.

I don't know how you're determining how he's going through reads, but he has definitely shown that upside. Right now, he's probably only a two-read guy. But he only has a handful of games college & pro under his belt. No one is claiming he's going to walk into the league and murder it, the idea is nurturing his terrific upside. You can see upside (or you can't, it depends on your ability to evaluate talent properly) and that's one steep development arc he's got there. From the feet to the arm talent, the head looks like it's on pretty tight too. The upside is, again, probably about the highest in the draft class.

He's been regarded for his confidence and unflappable nature. That's a good foundation for leadership qualities. I'm not in the locker room, so I can't speak directly to it...anyone who does is either a) there or b) grasping at straws. I'll leave that for you to answer which category applies.

McCarron demonstrably can NOT make "all the throws" that's precisely why the four-year college starter has played half as many games as the two-year man that came up quick due to injury and was thrust into a starting role much younger than McCarron and with much less experience. One player has the upside to be a really terrific starter in this league, the other player - who we have seen much more of on the national scene - does not. 

All right I just read the rest of that from "make all the throws" and down and it is a disturbing take at the least...maybe sit a few plays out. It talks about leadership a lot, which you - assuming again you weren't in the Alabama locker room or in Cincinnati's AND also in Cleveland's (you have some kind of job...) - that's just baseless conjecture. 

Then calling Kizer the worst to play the position or whatever garbage that is, that's again, just this insane bias and/or horrendous talent evaluation. I'm thinking "and". I don't know if Deshone ran over your dog or what, but it really sounds this guy screwed you over at some point personally...

I don't know, it's tough to read that...it doesn't make a lot of sense, most of it's just inaccurate, the rest of it is irrelevant...I don't know that I can help you here and it doesn't seem like you're open to or capable of actually discussing what I want to discuss...so I think I'm just gonna leave it here.

You can have the last word...I don't need it.

12 hours ago, mikey287 said:

I don't know what you could have been watching. Scouting off of highlights is fool's gold, so here's an every throw video...I don't think you'll watch it because you seem incredibly biased against this player for whatever reason. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lm7uABtQQk 

They benched him because the franchise has been running around like a headless chicken since Bernie Kosar. They play three quarterbacks a year, they hire a new coach every year...I mean that's just Browns being Browns. I mean, Christ, they failed to make a trade because they forgot to call the league...they. forgot. to. call. the. league. You're taking their side...those guys. The guys that forgot to call the league. About a trade. Forgot to call them. Them.

They benched him because they have not successfully developed virtually any skill players in a while. It's unclear that they know how.

I don't know how you're determining how he's going through reads, but he has definitely shown that upside. Right now, he's probably only a two-read guy. But he only has a handful of games college & pro under his belt. No one is claiming he's going to walk into the league and murder it, the idea is nurturing his terrific upside. You can see upside (or you can't, it depends on your ability to evaluate talent properly) and that's one steep development arc he's got there. From the feet to the arm talent, the head looks like it's on pretty tight too. The upside is, again, probably about the highest in the draft class.

He's been regarded for his confidence and unflappable nature. That's a good foundation for leadership qualities. I'm not in the locker room, so I can't speak directly to it...anyone who does is either a) there or b) grasping at straws. I'll leave that for you to answer which category applies.

McCarron demonstrably can NOT make "all the throws" that's precisely why the four-year college starter has played half as many games as the two-year man that came up quick due to injury and was thrust into a starting role much younger than McCarron and with much less experience. One player has the upside to be a really terrific starter in this league, the other player - who we have seen much more of on the national scene - does not. 

All right I just read the rest of that from "make all the throws" and down and it is a disturbing take at the least...maybe sit a few plays out. It talks about leadership a lot, which you - assuming again you weren't in the Alabama locker room or in Cincinnati's AND also in Cleveland's (you have some kind of job...) - that's just baseless conjecture. 

Then calling Kizer the worst to play the position or whatever garbage that is, that's again, just this insane bias and/or horrendous talent evaluation. I'm thinking "and". I don't know if Deshone ran over your dog or what, but it really sounds this guy screwed you over at some point personally...

I don't know, it's tough to read that...it doesn't make a lot of sense, most of it's just inaccurate, the rest of it is irrelevant...I don't know that I can help you here and it doesn't seem like you're open to or capable of actually discussing what I want to discuss...so I think I'm just gonna leave it here.

You can have the last word...I don't need it.

I apologize if Deshone is your best friend...we had someone on here earlier in the year that grew up with Joe Mixon and basically claimed he was the next coming of Walter Payton (which I'm still very dubious of). I have nothing personal against him except he was awful and ruined (at least was a big reason) my favorite college team's season last year....and completely underperformed. I've got nothing personal against Kizer...I just haven't seen much out of him to suggest he is going to be anything special. If he was as talented as you say he would have been taken much higher...instead of the 2nd round behind the 3 other qbs in last years draft...by the same (incompetent team) you are bashing. Fact is Hugh Jackson has had very good success grooming qbs....has worked with both and obviously wanted to bring AJ in to start for the Browns if not for a snapfu. It appears I struck a nerve...I did not mean to. I am no more qualified than anyone else on this board in evaluating talent. From what I've seen so far...AJ is a quality qb....probably the best backup in the league and could start on several teams right now...including the Browns. I see Deshone's physical attributes but I don't see it translating to the field. The mistakes he made at ND are even more exasperated in the NFL. He has a BIG leap to jump up to a quality qb....much further than AJ in my opinion. Maybe he has more upside...but the chance he reaches even AJ's level of competence to me is low. Cleveland does have issues...and I think a good step in the right direction would be to bring in a solid qb that can stabilize the team (AJ) while they groom their future franchise qb (someone not named Kizer imo).  instead of forcing them into action too soon. Hey you may end up being right and I'll applaud your talent evaluation but I think a lot of people don't see it the same way.

On 11/1/2017 at 8:38 AM, mikey287 said:

Exactly!  I don't know if the Browns QBs in house are better than AJ but there is no way AJ is worth a 2nd and a 3rd.  No way!  If he was he would be starting over Dalton (who's worth a high 2nd at most).

10 hours ago, mikey287 said:

Again, talking talent...not something his semi-pro teams did in an amateur circuit.

So why did you post a video of PRESEASON play to show off his talent? Teams playing mostly bland basic defense with 2nd and sometimes 3rd string players. I've watched some of his play...not every snap as I have Sunday ticket and flip back and forth between games....but I have not seen the special talent you describe yet...especially the game he played us where he had several horrible throws against one of the leagues worst pass defenses. Again...not trying to argue...but he has a long way to go to get where you seem to think he is going to get to.

7 minutes ago, tikyle said:

Exactly!  I don't know if the Browns QBs in house are better than AJ but there is no way AJ is worth a 2nd and a 3rd.  No way!  If he was he would be starting over Dalton (who's worth a high 2nd at most).

Probably because they are desperate for a starter quality qb. I agree I don't think AJ is that special....I see him in the same vain as Andy....solid starter but not going to be great...but that is how desperate the Browns are for anything even close to a starting caliber qb. They need to stabilize the play from the position while they rebuild this franchise...and the guys they have now...not cutting it.

5 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Probably because they are desperate for a starter quality qb. I agree I don't think AJ is that special....I see him in the same vain as Andy....solid starter but not going to be great...but that is how desperate the Browns are for anything even close to a starting caliber qb. They need to stabilize the play from the position while they rebuild this franchise...and the guys they have now...not cutting it.

I get all that, but it seems these dudes have had a top 5 pick for the last damn decade.  Why trade for someone else's backup?  Why don't you pick up a good one yourself.  They passed on Wentz, Dak, Watson, Goff, Trubisky, Mahomes, etc.  You can't get in the game if you keep passing on guys and waiting for the next best thing.  I mean look at Jacksonville.  They struck out on Gabbert and probably Bortles, but they are going to keep trying.  The financial ramifications of striking out on a 1st round QB just aren't that big anymore and it doesn't set your franchise back years like it used to.

4 hours ago, tikyle said:

I get all that, but it seems these dudes have had a top 5 pick for the last damn decade.  Why trade for someone else's backup?  Why don't you pick up a good one yourself.  They passed on Wentz, Dak, Watson, Goff, Trubisky, Mahomes, etc.  You can't get in the game if you keep passing on guys and waiting for the next best thing.  I mean look at Jacksonville.  They struck out on Gabbert and probably Bortles, but they are going to keep trying.  The financial ramifications of striking out on a 1st round QB just aren't that big anymore and it doesn't set your franchise back years like it used to.

Oh I agree....and I think they will take a 1st rd qb next year...but they want a qb to stabilize the team in the next year or two while they groom him. Since the team is in rebuild mode they probably don't want to Tim Couch the guy...they'd like to play AJ and slowly bring a qb along of their choosing. But yes...they gotta keep trying...and who knows...if AJ works out then their qb search is over....they clearly struggle drafting qbs so maybe they get someone elses. There are obviously some that think they don't need to draft another qb at all...that they have a franchise quality qb on the roster now in Kizer....and while I disagree with that my main point was that AJ is better than some are giving him credit for. AJ could very well be the next Andy Dalton...and in a league lacking deep quality at qb...that isn't so bad.