Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Vinatieri movingup record boards

ColtsFanMikeC

Just out of boredom, I was looking at where AV stands on the 'all-time lists'. 

He is currently 5th in XPM, and is 24 behind Lou Graza, 34 behind Gary Anderson, and 63 behind Morten Anderson (over 140 behind George Blanda). 

Last year, AV made 44 XP on 44 attempts.  Assuming he is in that range again, he'll likely be 3rd all-time in XPM made after this season.  He'd need at least another year after this to surpass Mort and likely at least  4 more years to pass Blanda.

He is 3rd all time in FGM, only 8 behind Gary Anderson and 35 behind Morten Anderson.  He has only made 35 FG in a single season once (2012), and has averaged 25+ FGs per season over his career.  I expect him to surpass GA before the mid-way point, but expect he'll need at least 2 seasons to break Mort's record.

He is also 3rd in all-time points scored.  He scored 125 points last year and is 56 behind GA and 166 behind MA.  Again, I expect him to beat GA this year, but 2 years away from MA.

He has a pretty commanding lead on post-season scoring all-time (234 points, with no other player having >200 points and Stephen Gostkowski being the closest active player away with 160 points). 

Adam has obviously had an outstanding career.  He hasn't really shown much in terms of slowing down as a K.  I don't know if it'll be worth it to bring him back after this season, but it will be fun to watch him move up in the record books this year and if we keep him around next year, he may go down at the top in 3 of 4 major K categories.

6 minutes ago, 21isSuperman said:

I'd love to see him get that FG record before retiring.  I believe Vinny is also the only player in NFL history to score 1000 points for two teams

You are correct on 1,000 points for 2 teams, and AV being the only one to have done so.  I am not sure if he's the only to win rings w/ 2 teams, also.

He's also won 4 championships, most ever by a kicker.  He also kicked game winners right at or near the end of the game in SB 26 & 28.

I would like to see him get the FG record and the all-time points record.  However, that will be at least this season and one more to break them (potentially 2 more seasons after this).  He is making $2.75 mill this season.  I have a hard time believing Ballard will want to bring him back after age 45 around that number (though, if he kicks the same way he did last year this coming year, it'll be hard not to say he's worth it). 

2 minutes ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

You are correct on 1,000 points for 2 teams, and AV being the only one to have done so.  I am not sure if he's the only to win rings w/ 2 teams, also.

He's also won 4 championships, most ever by a kicker.  He also kicked game winners right at or near the end of the game in SB 26 & 28.

I would like to see him get the FG record and the all-time points record.  However, that will be at least this season and one more to break them (potentially 2 more seasons after this).  He is making $2.75 mill this season.  I have a hard time believing Ballard will want to bring him back after age 45 around that number (though, if he kicks the same way he did last year this coming year, it'll be hard not to say he's worth it). 

There have been several players to win rings with 2 teams, like Peyton Manning or Shannon Sharpe.

I believe before the 2014 season, he was undefeated in AFCCGs

19 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

The question I'm curious is will he retire with the Colts, or New England? He's been with the Colts longer than New England now, so in theory, I imagine he sees himself as a Colt first and foremost.

Hard to say. His last Super Bowl win came with us, and unless we somehow pull off another one this year, or even next (if he's still around) I imagine it'll be a coin toss who he retires with. 

I'd love it to be with Indy though. 

1 hour ago, ReMeDy said:

The question I'm curious is will he retire with the Colts, or New England? He's been with the Colts longer than New England now, so in theory, I imagine he sees himself as a Colt first and foremost.

i think it will be the colts

if hes still under contract when he retires then he has no choice at that time.  he would have to wait until the colts dont hold his rights anymore, then sign a one day in new england

12 hours ago, aaron11 said:

if hes still under contract when he retires then he has no choice at that time.  he would have to wait until the colts dont hold his rights anymore, then sign a one day in new england

Typically when players sign one day contracts after being on a different team it is when they have a short stint and usually aren't to good on their new team. This isn't always the case, but it is most of the time. 

Seeing how Vinatieri has actually played more seasons in Indianapolis, and has been very successful, but has also made some very dramatic kicks in New England I think it is safe to say he will just retire as an NFL player, and will not sign a one day contract with either team.

With that being said, I read an article stating that he wants to retire after he gets the scoring record, or wins another superbowl. That record would mean a lot to him, and would really push him to have a stronger "bid" to the hall of fame. (Obviously he is deserving of so, but it's hard for a kicker to get in, so the more ammunition the better.)

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/10/teammates-adam-vinatieri-wants-all-time-scoring-record/

15 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

14 hours ago, Indyfan4life said:

Hard to say. His last Super Bowl win came with us, and unless we somehow pull off another one this year, or even next (if he's still around) I imagine it'll be a coin toss who he retires with. 

I'd love it to be with Indy though. 

13 hours ago, aaron11 said:

I highly doubt he retires with one team over the other.

If he reaches the HOF he will go in as a player and not specifically with one team. As much as some feel he should retire a Colt his history with the Pats can't be overlooked.

He has given his best for the Colts as well as the Pats so him choosing one team over the other makes no difference. It's not worth a Colt fan to get all butt hurt if Adam doesn't make a choice.

7 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I highly doubt he retires with one team over the other.

If he reaches the HOF he will go in as a player and not specifically with one team. As much as some feel he should retire a Colt his history with the Pats can't be overlooked.

He has given his best for the Colts as well as the Pats so him choosing one team over the other makes no difference. It's not worth a Colt fan to get all butt hurt if Adam doesn't make a choice.

it will depend on when he retires

if he is still under contract with the colts, then he will retire as a colt(he wont have much choice here).  if his contract has run out, then he could sign a one day with the patriots, he may not do that but you know they will try to get him

15 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

There have been several players to win rings with 2 teams, like Peyton Manning or Shannon Sharpe.

I believe before the 2014 season, he was undefeated in AFCCGs

I meant a K with 2 rings on 1 team.  I know multiple players in other positions have won SBs with multiple teams, but I do not think a K has done so except for Vinny.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

it will depend on when he retires

if he is still under contract with the colts, then he will retire as a colt(he wont have much choice here).  if his contract has run out, then he could sign a one day with the patriots, he may not do that but you know they will try to get him

He has had a great career with both teams. Regardless retiring one team over another is a problem the fans would have when it really makes no difference.

If he is still under contract with the Colts when he retires and don't ever play another down who cares? Just because he is a Colt, Colts fans can't just take it for granted he will consider himself a Colt like he never was a Patriot.

For fans to assume he has to make a choice is nothing but being unfair to Adam.

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy. I just like to see self deprecating guys break NFL records & reset HOF standards by the longevity of their position alone. 

Plus, he makes news/highlight reels when he misses FGs since it's so rare. That is so awesome! When you mess up; it's newsworthy. A testament to AV's preparation & reliability no matter what. 

When you gotta have it, bang Adam gets you 3 points or a PAT regardless of the weather or time of yr it is. 

On 2017-05-29 at 4:45 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

...I don't know if it'll be worth it to bring him back after this season, but it will be fun to watch him move up in the record books this year and if we keep him around next year, he may go down at the top in 3 of 4 major K categories.

If there is no drop off in his performance and if he still has the drive to continue, why would it NOT be worth bringing him back?

As long as he keeps performing at an elite level, you absolutely bring Vinman back!

On 5/29/2017 at 5:03 PM, ReMeDy said:

You don't really go in the HOF as a member of a team in football like you do in baseball. I don't think it really will matter. He built his legendary status on the Patriots, he's been a mainstay on the Colts for a decade and broke longevity records there. I mean realistically someday he'll go in the Patriots Hall of Fame and the Colts Ring of Honor and make publicized appearances for both teams. 

On 5/31/2017 at 6:37 AM, rockywoj said:

If there is no drop off in his performance and if he still has the drive to continue, why would it NOT be worth bringing him back?

As long as he keeps performing at an elite level, you absolutely bring Vinman back!

His salary last year was >$3 mil and this year is $2.75 mil. 

I agree, I want him back if his production is still high, but as Ballard is rebuilding this team for the future I anticipate looking at a ~$3 mil price tag for a kicker who is near the end may be somewhat of a major point of concern.

On 29/5/2017 at 11:45 PM, ColtsFanMikeC said:

He is currently 5th in XPM, and is 24 behind Lou Graza, 34 behind Gary Anderson, and 63 behind Morten Anderson (over 140 behind George Blanda). 

Last year, AV made 44 XP on 44 attempts.  Assuming he is in that range again, he'll likely be 3rd all-time in XPM made after this season.  He'd need at least another year after this to surpass Mort and likely at least  4 more years to pass Blanda.

He is 3rd all time in FGM, only 8 behind Gary Anderson and 35 behind Morten Anderson.  He has only made 35 FG in a single season once (2012), and has averaged 25+ FGs per season over his career.  I expect him to surpass GA before the mid-way point, but expect he'll need at least 2 seasons to break Mort's record.

Who is Morten Anderson?

Never heard of him... But I have heard og HOF Morten Andersen from Denmark. 

When t-f do you americans get it right?

He is also 3rd in all-time points scored.  He scored 125 points last year and is 56 behind GA and 166 behind MA.  Again, I expect him to beat GA this year, but 2 years away from MA.

He has a pretty commanding lead on post-season scoring all-time (234 points, with no other player having >200 points and Stephen Gostkowski being the closest active player away with 160 points). 

Adam has obviously had an outstanding career.  He hasn't really shown much in terms of slowing down as a K.  I don't know if it'll be worth it to bring him back after this season, but it will be fun to watch him move up in the record books this year and if we keep him around next year, he may go down at the top in 3 of 4 major K categories.

Please tell me who Morten Anderson is?

Adam Vinatiari will never beat Morten Andersens records.

It´s the same with Payton Moanings record for must yards. Tim Brady will never reach his numbers.

Nor will Odiel Backham Jr. reach the numbers of Mirvin Harrisun.

Sarkasm could be used, but Morten Andersen, read ANDERSEN not SON, is a HOF'er so get his name right should be the least people who claim to call themselves football fans could do.   

7 hours ago, ColtsFanMikeC said:

His salary last year was >$3 mil and this year is $2.75 mil. 

I agree, I want him back if his production is still high, but as Ballard is rebuilding this team for the future I anticipate looking at a ~$3 mil price tag for a kicker who is near the end may be somewhat of a major point of concern.

Bah, I say.  If I'm the owner I want to reward my long term great players, money be damned.  Besides, if I am owner, money is my concern, not yours, so quit quibbling on an insignificant million or two.  ;)

On 6/1/2017 at 8:17 PM, rockywoj said:

Bah, I say.  If I'm the owner I want to reward my long term great players, money be damned.  Besides, if I am owner, money is my concern, not yours, so quit quibbling on an insignificant million or two.  ;)

Not even that. We've seen great teams suffer because they neglected the importance of a kicker. It's a lot of points on the board. It's field position. A game can be won and lost based off good or bad field position

On ‎6‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 4:16 PM, ThorstenDenmark said:

Adam Vinatiari will never beat Morten Andersens records.

It´s the same with Payton Moanings record for must yards. Tim Brady will never reach his numbers.

Nor will Odiel Backham Jr. reach the numbers of Mirvin Harrisun.

Sarkasm could be used, but Morten Andersen, read ANDERSEN not SON, is a HOF'er so get his name right should be the least people who claim to call themselves football fans could do.   

No, everyone knows that Morten Ander'SON' was Norwegian!! ;)