Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Another failed (diluted) combine drug test..Jabrill Peppers

Just saw a quote from Trey Wingo and it is so true.  "This is not really a failed drug test but a failed IQ test."  I saw the immediate release from his representatives, but I just take it as agent-speak that is really hard to believe.  

These guys are literally costing themselves millions of dollars.  Their decision-making is lacking.

Didn't he test as a LB?

Just like Foster, I have to think that this is the result of trying to get weight up. Which is stupid...because everyone probably knows that is what they are doing...so it's not like they are fooling the billion dollar companies they are "interviewing" for.

Will be interesting to see if it affects draft stock. I would take Peppers in round 2 all day. 

8 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Two things come to mind when I read that.

1) Bovine Excrement

2) Methinks they doth protest too much

I'm not inclined to believe this or to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think the story is plausible. 

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

I'm not inclined to believe this or to give him the benefit of the doubt, but I think the story is plausible. 

Completely agree.  The story is plausible but it is a benefit of the doubt type of thing and that disappeared long ago.  Too many from all sports get caught and spew this exact same rhetoric - tainted supplement, my Twitter was hacked, etc.  All before him give me a reason to doubt Peppers' story.  

And his agents and representatives should also know the ramifications of all that fluid intake - if that is in fact what it was.

Note that they didn't find a drug/steroid for either Peppers or Foster.  Diluted is a fail because player try to mask their specimen by drinking a lot of water or Gatorade.

However, a player can just be dehydrated.  Willie McGinnest said it happened to him, he was flagged after being dehydrated.  He was in the program but had no problems.

23 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

Didn't he test as a LB?

Just like Foster, I have to think that this is the result of trying to get weight up. Which is stupid...because everyone probably knows that is what they are doing...so it's not like they are fooling the billion dollar companies they are "interviewing" for.

Will be interesting to see if it affects draft stock. I would take Peppers in round 2 all day. 

Peppers only put on about 8 pounds from his 2016 playing weight. I'm thinking this is more of a substance abuse thing than a PED thing.

Today on Mike n Mike, Bill Polian said that an overwhelming amount of players who fail the drug test at the combine do not work out in the NFL.... and warned of drafting them ...not exact words, but close.  He was referring to RF.... he also said that teams are aware of it very soon after the combine and it comes out later.

Yeah, we get it, you were sick.  Never failed in your life.  Possible?  Sure, but the vast majority of people who fall on that same refrain over and over fail future tests.  I'm not talking about the NFL, just in general - but I'm not going to say that the NFL is the hallmark to strive for when it comes highly scrutinized employees that don't fail drug tests.

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

Today on Mike n Mike, Bill Polian said that an overwhelming amount of players who fail the drug test at the combine do not work out in the NFL.... and warned of drafting them ...not exact words, but close.  He was referring to RF.... he also said that teams are aware of it very soon after the combine and it comes out later.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/bill-polian-nfl-draft-combine-rueben-foster

Justin Houston proves him wrong, but he later downgraded his statement from "no one that I can think of" to "overwhelming majority," which is probably true.

It's also probably best to point out the distinction between testing positive for a banned substance and having a diluted sample. While it's hard to believe anyone's diluted sample excuse -- it's the new version of 'I don't use PEDs, I take Adderall!' -- it's not hard to believe that there are some players who haven't used banned substances but have diluted samples, especially when they're undergoing rigorous training prior to the Combine.

34 minutes ago, Superman said:

i will personally say this.  I have never once done drugs but when i was on active duty, our unit pulled a drug test the morning of out 18 mile ruck march, I, along with almost half the company, failed due to dilluted tests. Why? because we had been chugging water getting hydrated for such a march in the august heat. So they did a second test of everyone a couple days later and not a single person failed.  I'd had over 3.5 gallons of water though in less than 24 hours.

Just now, Superman said:

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/04/bill-polian-nfl-draft-combine-rueben-foster

Justin Houston proves him wrong, but he later downgraded his statement from "no one that I can think of" to "overwhelming majority," which is probably true.

It's also probably best to point out the distinction between testing positive for a banned substance and having a diluted sample. While it's hard to believe anyone's diluted sample excuse -- it's the new version of 'I don't use PEDs, I take Adderall!' -- it's not hard to believe that there are some players who haven't used banned substances but have diluted samples, especially when they're undergoing rigorous training prior to the Combine.

True... Thanks.

It is also not only a test for drugs etc, but a judgement and discipline test.  

1 minute ago, BR-549 said:

True... Thanks.

It is also not only a test for drugs etc, but a judgement and discipline test.  

Which is why, if you flat out fail, you deserve the harshest criticism. (I'm looking at you, Randy Gregory.)

I'm allowing for the possibility that the diluted sample result is really just a diluted sample, not an indication that the player was actually using a banned substance. But I'm cynical about that, like pretty much everyone else.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Which is why, if you flat out fail, you deserve the harshest criticism. (I'm looking at you, Randy Gregory.)

I'm allowing for the possibility that the diluted sample result is really just a diluted sample, not an indication that the player was actually using a banned substance. But I'm cynical about that, like pretty much everyone else.

I hope so too.  I like Jabril and Reuben

4 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

I hope so too.  I like Jabril and Reuben

And then, comparing those two, one guy has been a model citizen and has said and done all the right things, while the other guy has a reputation for being hard to deal with, struggling with playbook stuff, and got into a fight with a medical worker at the Combine.

If I'm giving Peppers a 5% chance of having a legit story, I'm giving Foster about a .05% chance.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

And then, comparing those two, one guy has been a model citizen and has said and done all the right things, while the other guy has a reputation for being hard to deal with, struggling with playbook stuff, and got into a fight with a medical worker at the Combine.

If I'm giving Peppers a 5% chance of having a legit story, I'm giving Foster about a .05% chance.

Lol, yes I would agree with those odds.

31 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i will personally say this.  I have never once done drugs but when i was on active duty, our unit pulled a drug test the morning of out 18 mile ruck march, I, along with almost half the company, failed due to dilluted tests. Why? because we had been chugging water getting hydrated for such a march in the august heat. So they did a second test of everyone a couple days later and not a single person failed.  I'd had over 3.5 gallons of water though in less than 24 hours.

I posted this earlier, Willie McGinnest said he failed the same way, after trying to rehydrate. 

Dilute - does not mean they detected drugs.  It means they're worried the subject is trying to mask the drug.

10 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The sad thing is that it happens at least once every year

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

I posted this earlier, Willie McGinnest said he failed the same way, after trying to rehydrate. 

Dilute - does not mean they detected drugs.  It means they're worried the subject is trying to mask the drug.

honestly, this would all be solved with a blood test...... if you wanna be drafted and paid millions, may as well submit to a blood test. 

Pro Football Talk just Tweeted a link to a story that pours water (pun intended) on the excuse Peppers and others have provided for their diluted sample.  Their point is the pee test's are administered first thing in the AM making it hard to believe their story. 

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/04/24/time-of-testing-a-factor-in-assessing-credibility-of-diluted-sample-excuse/

3 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Who cares... we need to take Foster if he is sitting there at 15

If the Ravens took ray when on murder suspicion, then we can't pass on potentially the next "ray lewis" for a diluted sample

If we did, we are dumb

Well speaking of dumb, you might want to check your timeline on when Lewis was charged with murder and his draft status.

Plus that logic is really an epic fail even if your facts weren't so off.

5 minutes ago, csmopar said:

hydrating isnt stupid..... but like i said, a blood test is MUCH harder to even try to trick.  

IMO trying to add weight to improve draft stock is not stupid but to an extent cheating

During my playing days I always tried to bulk during the offseason since I routinely lost 10 to 15 pounds once practice started

3 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

Well speaking of dumb, you might want to check your timeline on when Lewis was charged with murder and his draft status.

Plus that logic is really an epic fail even if your facts weren't so off.

personally I don't care about timelines or whatever. i'm sick of these FOOTBALL players being labeled like the we're brain surgeons. If the dude can play then draft him. Period. Diluted sample??? again who cares

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

hydrating isnt stupid..... but like i said, a blood test is MUCH harder to even try to trick.  

If I remember correctly, the NFLPA agreed to blood testing for HGH with the last contract in 2011.  Then the lawyers fought about what that means for about three years.

As I understood it then, only an * would fail the test because it basically only tested if you had it in your system for the last 48 hours.  And I think they gave you advance knowledge of when they'd test you.

I could be wrong, but that's how I remember it.

19 minutes ago, Indeee said:

personally I don't care about timelines or whatever. i'm sick of these FOOTBALL players being labeled like the we're brain surgeons. If the dude can play then draft him. Period. Diluted sample??? again who cares

The guys getting ready to write them checks that have a lot of zeros.  

33 minutes ago, Indeee said:

Who cares... we need to take Foster if he is sitting there at 15

If the Ravens took ray when on murder suspicion, then we can't pass on potentially the next "ray lewis" for a diluted sample

If we did, we are dumb

The murder suspicion was after the superbowl he just played in.  Long after he was drafted

4 hours ago, Superman said:

Peppers only put on about 8 pounds from his 2016 playing weight. I'm thinking this is more of a substance abuse thing than a PED thing.

Agreed. Because apparently Foster was sick too. Barnett had the flu. Why didn't his sample come back diluted?

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Agreed. Because apparently Foster was sick too. Barnett had the flu. Why didn't his sample come back diluted?

TBH, we don't know that it didn't... Assuming that it didn't since we haven't heard otherwise, the whole idea of a diluted sample is hard to accept.

I'd also say that all these players this year talking about "water weight" and whatnot should be at greater risk of diluted samples, but I haven't heard anything about that.