Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Mike Vick

P-Money

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

How many times has he violated the substance abuse policy.  What does a first time offender get?

how many animals did vick kill?

he had multiple offenses too, but he was charged for them all at the same time

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

this does not have to be about weed, sorry for going there

the laws, rules and punishments dont make any sense though

No one in the history of the world has lost more than Michael Vick over dog fighting.   It was a terrible crime and he was punished very harshly for it.   He has turned his life around since.  He has shown he deserved the second chance

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

No one in the history of the world has lost more than Michael Vick over dog fighting. 

most people dont have that much to lose in the first place

there have definitely been longer jail sentences than what he got though.  i dont think you can get "life" for animal abuse but some have had 99 years+

11 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

most people dont have that much to lose in the first place

there have definitely been longer jail sentences than what he got though.  i dont think you can get "life" for animal abuse but some have had 99 years+

8 years is the longest sentence ever for dog fighting.   

https://www.thedodo.com/historic-dog-fighting-ruling-820005237.html

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

how many animals did vick kill?

he had multiple offenses too, but he was charged for them all at the same time

For whatever it's worth.....

Michael Vick has likely lost more than any other player, perhaps even in NFL history.

Between his salary and his off the field endorsements,  he likely lost $50 Mill.    Maybe more.

He also lost roughly 3 prime years of his career, and once he came back, was little more than a glorified back-up.

PLUS....

Vick has now become a person who can now go around the country and speak on the evils of what he did.   He's got street cred on this issue.    Roger Goddell is in favor of this.    The Commissioner who is tough on NFL players screwing up recognized that this was a chance to turn a horrible negative into a positive.    To help communities with this problem and help redeem Vick himself.      Win-win.

For the record,  I'm an animal loving person.   Mostly dogs and cats,  but my wife and I love all animals and treat our pets like our children.     So, I'm hyper-sensitive to stories like this.    And I'm OK with Vick regaining some of his life back.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

For whatever it's worth.....

Michael Vick has likely lost more than any other player, perhaps even in NFL history.

Between his salary and his off the field endorsements,  he likely lost $50 Mill.    Maybe more.

He also lost roughly 3 prime years of his career, and once he came back, was little more than a glorified back-up.

Good :)

PLUS....

"Vick has now become a person who can now go around the country and speak on the evils of what he did.   He's got street cred on this issue.    Roger Goddell is in favor of this.    The Commissioner who is tough on NFL players screwing up recognized that this was a chance to turn a horrible negative into a positive.    To help communities with this problem and help redeem Vick himself"

Eh I get where youre coming from but saying that this helped Vick redeem himself hurt your argument more than it helped. Lol

"For the record,  I'm an animal loving person.   Mostly dogs and cats,  but my wife and I love all animals and treat our pets like our children.     So, I'm hyper-sensitive to stories like this.    And I'm OK with Vick regaining some of his life back."

No problem with him getting some of his life back but IMO he should have never been reinstated in the NFL.

Very good read. It was heartfelt and well-written. The dogfighting was reprehensible, but the guy did his time and paid his dues. He also lost millions. It's time to move on.

It is good to read that he has turned his life around and has found peace.

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

this does not have to be about weed, sorry for going there

the laws, rules and punishments dont make any sense though

Rules and laws and penalties will never be equal..because we all value certain offenses differently.

Its not worth the time to ask compare violatons ...

I've always thought that was a copout to say 'My crime wasn't as bad as his crime'?...

Vick never seemed like a bad guy to me.....and whether w

he was/is or not.....he served his time......

.....I hope he stays in the NFL in come capacity

9 hours ago, aaron11 said:

should have been banned for life from the nfl

its harder to get reinstated from smoking weed, than it was for vick

Vick served his time, came out, has done lots of charity worked with animal foundations and a good chunk of his money went right into supporting animal rights. 

The man has tried to redeem himself and deserves credit for that. He fully acknowledges his crime and has worked tirelessly trying to prevent it, I give him big credit for that. 

Who should be banned for life is the woman beaters who it isn't a problem when they come back and just get slapped with a few game suspension. Greg Hardy is your Exhibit A. Josh Brown is your Exhibit B.

19 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

Its not worth the time to ask compare violatons ...

Vick committed a heinous felony(actually several of them), while smoking weed is not even illegal in in 20+ states

im not mad about the jail sentence Mike served, and i am glad to see the work he does in the community now

he should not have been allowed back in the nfl though!  the comparison to josh gordon was not necessary, but it does highlight how stupid the system has been under goodell. 

greg hardy, ray rice, and Justin blackmon all got ridiculous punishments for their offenses too

On 2/3/2017 at 3:49 PM, Superman said:

Great article. Seriously.

I didnt scroll back to look. But if he truly wrote that. No ghost writer or "dictated to" then I think he's got a real future as a writer. He painted some pretty excellent pictures, and was very eloquent in his selection of stories and thoughts.....I'll buy his book the day it comes out if it's as thoughtful and well done as this open letter. 

20 hours ago, IndyTrav said:

I didnt scroll back to look. But if he truly wrote that. No ghost writer or "dictated to" then I think he's got a real future as a writer. He painted some pretty excellent pictures, and was very eloquent in his selection of stories and thoughts.....I'll buy his book the day it comes out if it's as thoughtful and well done as this open letter. 

I assume he had help with it, to what extent, who knows. But I assume that if he were to do a book, he'd have help with it as well.

On 2/4/2017 at 3:54 PM, aaron11 said:

Vick committed a heinous felony(actually several of them), while smoking weed is not even illegal in in 20+ states

im not mad about the jail sentence Mike served, and i am glad to see the work he does in the community now

he should not have been allowed back in the nfl though!  the comparison to josh gordon was not necessary, but it does highlight how stupid the system has been under goodell. 

greg hardy, ray rice, and Justin blackmon all got ridiculous punishments for their offenses too

George McCloud, formerly of the Pacers, loved fighting Pits in Clayton Indiana.  I am sure if you peel back the layers you would find a subculture of likeminded individuals who still love to partake  in dog fighting/ mutilations.  The Vick situation just made those who are still involved more careful not to draw attention to themselves.

On 2/3/2017 at 2:44 PM, jvan1973 said:

No one in the history of the world has lost more than Michael Vick over dog fighting.   It was a terrible crime and he was punished very harshly for it.   He has turned his life around since.  He has shown he deserved the second chance

Cool Story Bro, I'd imagine all of the dogs he killed would disagree.

On 2/4/2017 at 0:00 AM, Synthetic said:

Vick served his time, came out, has done lots of charity worked with animal foundations and a good chunk of his money went right into supporting animal rights. 

The man has tried to redeem himself and deserves credit for that. He fully acknowledges his crime and has worked tirelessly trying to prevent it, I give him big credit for that. 

Who should be banned for life is the woman beaters who it isn't a problem when they come back and just get slapped with a few game suspension. Greg Hardy is your Exhibit A. Josh Brown is your Exhibit B.

So you're saying a crime of assaulting another human being is worse than murdering innocent animals for entertainment?

Some people may agree with that, but I do not. This country seriously needs a massive overhaul on animal rights.

49 minutes ago, SilentHill said:

So you're saying a crime of assaulting another human being is worse than murdering innocent animals for entertainment?

Some people may agree with that, but I do not. This country seriously needs a massive overhaul on animal rights.

What country has more laws protecting animals than this one?

14 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

He did his time.   The end

Cool, so as long as he did his time he's a all good? When someone is a registered sex offender, so it's just like hey bro, that's cool that you were once a sex offender, let's hang out?

You may think that he deserves a second chance, and I'll steadfastly disagree with you. He deserves nothing other than to rot in hell for all of eternity.

On 2/4/2017 at 8:54 PM, aaron11 said:

Probably not the most sensible thing to say. 

The overarching theme to this topic is about showing remorse and rehabilitation, Hardy and Blackmon have never shown a shred of either. 

Ray Rice is a different matter, but when your actions are caught on camera like that it's always going to much tougher to "forgiven". I do wonder too if a lot of his failure to find a team didn't come down to the decline in his playing ability too. 

3 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

Probably not the most sensible thing to say. 

The overarching theme to this topic is about showing remorse and rehabilitation, Hardy and Blackmon have never shown a shred of either. 

Ray Rice is a different matter, but when your actions are caught on camera like that it's always going to much tougher to "forgiven". I do wonder too if a lot of his failure to find a team didn't come down to the decline in his playing ability too. 

well i do think vick is remorseful but that doesnt mean he should be reinstated.  same goes for ray rice, and im talking about the original punishment he received

blackmon probably was not the best example, i just read that its unknown if he even applied for reinstatement

28 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

well i do think vick is remorseful but that doesnt mean he should be reinstated.  same goes for ray rice, and im talking about the original punishment he received

blackmon probably was not the best example, i just read that its unknown if he even applied for reinstatement

Just to clarify are you saying none of the players you listed should have been reinstated or just Vick and Rice?Are you suggesting a one strike and your done type deal, if so, where do you draw the line in terms severity of offense?

5 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Just to clarify are you saying none of the players you listed should have been reinstated or just Vick and Rice?Are you suggesting a one strike and your done type deal, if so, where do you draw the line in terms severity of offense?

if vick and rice were reinstated then josh gordon should be too.  i have not read enough about blackmon or greg hardy to say

i dont care how many weed offenses you get, that is never going to be worse than vick

Just now, aaron11 said:

if vick and rice were reinstated then josh gordon should be too.  i have not read enough about blackmon or greg hardy to say

i dont care how many weed offenses you get, that is never going to be worse than vick

The issue with Gordon is the number of repeat offenses not the original crime. He doesn't seem willing to modify his lifestyle choices. Taking legalisation debates out of this, he signed a contract that says don't do something, he keeps doing it.

Besides I believe technically the league did reinstate him, but currently he's chosen to step away from the game to go to rehab.

Read up on Greg Hardy, he's a real gentleman.