Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Grigson should be talking with Denver/Cleveland

Now that I have your attention...No I don't have any leaks that Grigson is talking with them. My purpose of this post is that he should be. With their obvious needs at QB and I could see either Paxton Lynch or Conner Cook available when the Colts pick. In order to get one of those guys, Grigson needs to sell that the Jets or Buffalo will take a QB. 

Personally, I'd rather deal with Cleveland and get their 32nd overall pick along with their two 3rd rounders. The 2nd and 3rd round of this draft has plenty of good prospects and would give Indy more starters and depth on this team. 

2 hours ago, bap03Colts said:

I'm sure Grigs is looking at this forum on draft day and will now talk with Denver

Oh so we're not supposed to have opinions on what Grigson should do in the draft? It was merely my opinion on what I would do. That is all. 

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Now that I have your attention...No I don't have any leaks that Grigson is talking with them. My purpose of this post is that he should be. With their obvious needs at QB and I could see either Paxton Lynch or Conner Cook available when the Colts pick. In order to get one of those guys, Grigson needs to sell that the Jets or Buffalo will take a QB. 

Personally, I'd rather deal with Cleveland and get their 32nd overall pick along with their two 3rd rounders. The 2nd and 3rd round of this draft has plenty of good prospects and would give Indy more starters and depth on this team. 

If i understand you,  you think trading back to Cleveland from 18 to 32 will get us BOTH of the Browns 3rd rounders?      Or, am I misunderstanding.

Because the points value chart,  we'd get Cleveland's 2, 3 and 5.     That would get the Colts 890 points.   Our pick is worth 900.

But a 2 3, and a 3 is not happening.     Not ever.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

If i understand you,  you think trading back to Cleveland from 18 to 32 will get us BOTH of the Browns 3rd rounders?      Or, am I misunderstanding.

Because the points value chart,  we'd get Cleveland's 2, 3 and 5.     That would get the Colts 890 points.   Our pick is worth 900.

Just depends how bad the browns want to move up.    The draft value chart isn't always used ,  it's just a guideline

1 hour ago, BProland85 said:

Oh so we're not supposed to have opinions on what Grigson should do in the draft? It was merely my opinion on what I would do. That is all. 

Just messing with you man. But people aren't going to take kindly to your click bait title

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes your right BUT he was talking about the browies so you never know. haha

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Just depends how bad the browns want to move up.    The draft value chart isn't always used ,  it's just a guideline

True.....   absolutely true.....

But the difference in points in the case of a 2/3/3 instead of a 2/3/5 is roughly 200 points. +/-

I think that's way too far for the Browns to even consider it.....       Now, maybe they'd consider a 2/3/4....   but even that might be too rich.....

26 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

True.....   absolutely true.....

But the difference in points in the case of a 2/3/3 instead of a 2/3/5 is roughly 200 points. +/-

I think that's way too far for the Browns to even consider it.....       Now, maybe they'd consider a 2/3/4....   but even that might be too rich.....

Look what the Rams and Eagles gave up.    If the browns REALLY like lynch and he is still there and there is a bidding war between a couple teams it could happen.     Pretty unlikely I would say though

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

I am guessing a Mod changed the thread title which was likely a very lame attempt to get clicks.

As for the post itself - more of the same lameness.

2 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I strongly disagree.  The 5th year option is EXTREMELY valuable especially when you are talking about drafting a QB.  That simple one year extension advantage on the first rounder is an easy 200 to 400 points.  It may not be such a big deal with any other position but when you are talking QB... man oh man think if we didn't have that option on Luck and the mass panic that would be going on right now...

26 minutes ago, jskinnz said:

As for the post itself - more of the same lameness.

I agree with the spirit & intensity of that statement jskinnz completely. 

Nothing personal against BP85 of course, who is entitled to his opinion, but at 18 even our GM should be able to select a quality player that will make me nod in agreement. 

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Look what the Rams and Eagles gave up.    If the browns REALLY like lynch and he is still there and there is a bidding war between a couple teams it could happen.     Pretty unlikely I would say though

Regarding what the Rams and Eagles gave up.....   I'm pretty sure the points measured out well for both sides.

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Regarding what the Rams and Eagles gave up.....   I'm pretty sure the points measured out well for both sides.

The Titans were about +300 in that trade according to the value chart

The browns were +600

I usually go to bed early and I don't want to stay up that late tonight to find out that they traded away the pick  (I miss the draft starting at noon on Saturdays and going three rounds).

On second thought, at least I wouldn't go to bed mad after he drafts a Long Snapper in the first round.  

Not necessarily.

Both trades involve future picks.      Some teams chose to value those picks with present day value.

Some teams chose to value those picks on a discount.    A pick for next year gets discounted by a round.   A 1st round pick gets a 2nd round value.....   a 2nd round pick gets a 3rd round value...  and so on. 

The Philly trade with Cleveland not only involves future picks,  but one of the picks is TWO YEARS off.   So, does that pick get discounted two rounds?      I don't know.    It's up to the team to determine the value.

Each team decides how it wants to value the picks.

So,  I don't think this is a black and white as it might appear....

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Not necessarily.

Both trades involve future picks.      Some teams chose to value those picks with present day value.

Some teams chose to value those picks on a discount.    A pick for next year gets discounted by a round.   A 1st round pick gets a 2nd round value.....   a 2nd round pick gets a 3rd round value...  and so on. 

The Philly trade with Cleveland not only involves future picks,  but one of the picks is TWO YEARS off.   So, does that pick get discounted two rounds?      I don't know.    It's up to the team to determine the value.

Each team decides how it wants to value the picks.

So,  I don't think this is a black and white as it might appear....

The jimmy johnson value chart puts values on futures years picks.   According to that chart,   the numbers are what I listed above

http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/116666/putting-numbers-to-the-rams-misstep-in-trade-with-titans

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fancy-stats/wp/2016/04/20/eagles-make-the-wrong-choice-in-trading-for-the-browns-no-2-draft-pick/