Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Herron And Ballard

jtrester

As I sit in my local smoke shop waiting on our fantasy football draft to begin, we put out an interesting hypothesis....

Boom Herron's shoulder may have saved Ballard's job in Indy.

Here is the thought process...

1. Art Jones is all but confirmed for the season ending IR.

2. With Art on season ending IR, it leaves the short term IR for Boom.

3. With Boom on short term IR, that leaves a spot for Ballard.

That means...

1. Gore

2. Robinson

3. Ballard

4. Varga

Cut - Tipton

Any thoughts?

Why would be IR Boom and why would we kee a running back who literally can't finish a game. Ballatd doesn't deserve to be on this roster. There is no indication Booms injury would cause him to be out long enough to warrant IR. You cant bring designated playerd back whenever you choose. It has to be after week 8.

Just to reiterate...Ballard in no way deserves to be on this roster. I loved him in 2012 but that guy is long gone. Ballard cannot stay healthy.

Eh, flip a coin between Ballard and Tipton.  Either way whoever stays is getting cut when Herron gets back, barring another injury.  Ultimately, there's nothing Ballard and Tipton can really do that someone else on the roster can't do better.  And frankly Varga is much more useful as the 4th back because of his broader skill set than either of those two guys, who are rendered a bit redundant by Gore, Herron, and Robinson.

Unless Herron doesn't get put on short term IR, then both of those guys may be gone right away.

Ballard has always been Grigson's guy.  There are quite a few videos and interviews of Grigson, Pagano and Luck (recently) who proclaim their admiration for him.  You don't hear them praising Tipton or even Boom like that and they obviously proved it by letting  Donald Brown walk.   I think if there's any way possible, they try to keep him.  If not, then you know his injuries were too much for even them.  He's way more talented than Boom, for the record.

I don't think the extent of Boom's injury warrants short term IR, I don't think he'll be out 8 weeks.

Agree. Also it's possible that ballads injury is worse than Herron's. So if anything , maybe Ballard get's the short term IR. But IMO , I think 3's the charm. 

Remember how Boom came to team in the first place.  He was an UFDA that was the best available when we had injuries to the starters.  It took him a while to get up to speed.  Ballard always had more pure talent.  But the level of talent that Ballard currently has in unknown, so it may be a mistake to think of him as the same back his rookie year.

Robinson and Varga are plenty. Especially since this is a pass happy offense. Robinson can come in and give Gore a rest, and Varga can do what Boom does by catching passes out the back and being a change of pace guy.

Very much aligned with this thinking. Nagging injuries such as hamstrings & shoulders present large problems to a RB. I love Ballard & Boom, however, performance comes first. It always has. Seems to me, this is the direction for now.