Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

what our defense is missing.

bestQBever

The one thing I think our defense is missing that will take us over the top is a difference maker at the ILB position. Jerrell Freeman is average and Dqwell is just flat out....yeah. Our run defense has actually been pretty darn good this year minus the pats game. and I don't even remember the last time we gave up a 50+ yard pass so our secondary is pretty good. The thing we can not do is cover tight ends and cover short/intermediate and I think a stud ILB would do wonders for that. 

The one thing I think our defense is missing that will take us over the top is a difference maker at the ILB position. Jerrell Freeman is average and Dqwell is just flat out....yeah. Our run defense has actually been pretty darn good this year minus the pats game. and I don't even remember the last time we gave up a 50+ yard pass so our secondary is pretty good. The thing we can not do is cover tight ends and cover short/intermediate and I think a stud ILB would do wonders for that.

Agree on the ILBs. The secondary is good enough, no DBs can cover when the QB has time to have a snack before making a throw.

Jackson was a waste of money, he was average at Cleveland and you usually don't get better with age.

We actually aren't missing a whole lot IMO. This is why I feel we need to add a couple star players in FA. We'll have Mathis back but I would still like to see us go after Orakpo. I think he may sign a 1year deal since he's coming off another injury, but we all know he's an absolute beast when healthy. Then a safety who can cover like McCourty or Moore is needed too IMO, we could get a SS like Harris in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft to pair with him. Then I think we should look at a guy like Dan Williams to anchor the D Line. In the draft I'm now hoping for Denzel Perryman. He's good against both the run and pass and should be there when we pick in the late 20's. If we can get him we should release DQ, but I don't really know his cap situation.

We are not going to get any big "difference makers" on D drafting in the 25th position...these guys are well known and long gone...and so are the very top O-linemen. All we get are the next tier of players...like Werner....NO STUDS!

But you can build the team by picking the top RBs and WRs in the 1st two rounds and taking good OL and D players in the 3rd and 4th, etc. And if a stud falls to you in the early rounds you take him...but you better be sure he is a stud and not a dud...he is falling for a reason.

I still like the NaPolian philosophy of drafting skill-position players who touch the ball in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, with the exception of a solid pass-rusher.

We just need to realize that the D players available at the end of round 1 are not much better than the players in round 3 and 4.

Like Werner...regarded as a 2nd rounder at best...and we took him in the 1st. This was a mistake and did not maximize the value obtained by the Colts for that position in the 1st round. It was a reach and you always get burned on a reach...just say no and go draft the top value at that draft position...or trade down.

We are not going to get any big "difference makers" on D drafting in the 25th position...these guys are well known and long gone...and so are the very top O-linemen. All we get are the next tier of players...like Werner....NO STUDS!

But you can build the team by picking the top RBs and WRs in the 1st two rounds and taking good OL and D players in the 3rd and 4th, etc. And if a stud falls to you in the early rounds you take him...but you better be sure he is a stud and not a dud...he is falling for a reason.

I still like the NaPolian philosophy of drafting skill-position players who touch the ball in the 1st 2 or 3 rounds, with the exception of a solid pass-rusher.

We just need to realize that the D players available at the end of round 1 are not much better than the players in round 3 and 4.

Like Werner...regarded as a 2nd rounder at best...and we took him in the 1st. This was a mistake and did not maximize the value obtained by the Colts for that position in the 1st round. It was a reach and you always get burned on a reach...just say no and go draft the top value at that draft position...or trade down.

Dude there's always big time players at the end of the 1st, and even into the 2nd. Just from the last few drafts, Harrison Smith was taken 29th, Dante Hightower 25th, Cameron Jordan 24th,  Muhammad Wilkerson 30th, Dan Williams 26th, Devin McCourty 27th, Clay Mathews 24th.

Dude there's always big time players at the end of the 1st, and even into the 2nd. Just from the last few drafts, Harrison Smith was taken 29th, Dante Hightower 25th, Cameron Jordan 24th,  Muhammad Wilkerson 30th, Dan Williams 26th, Devin McCourty 27th, Clay Mathews 24th.

Yeah, I suppose so....so why do we end up with Bjorn Werner instead of one of those guys...it's because they are difficult to recognize at the time but are perfectly obvious in hindsight.

- A consistent pass rush. Too many games this season, the opposing QB has been untouched most of the game. Sure, Mathis was that guy, but he's near the end of his career anyway.

- A big body to plug the middle / true nose tackle. We have a couple guys doing an okay job, but not one true Wilfork type guy. I know, guys of that magnitude aren't easy to find, but someone of that caliber would make an already good run D even greater.

- A 'better than decent' ILB who can actually cover the middle and keep up with Tight Ends. Freeman is a decent 2nd ILB and Jackson is a good run stopper. But gah, they're lousy in coverage. What if we had a Pat Willis type guy who could do it all? Defend the pass, plug the hole and lay hits on guys over the middle?

We need a ILB. I'm talking about a brute type. Has to be able to cover and great in run support. First round pick type

I agree 100% and that's why I want Perryman in the 1st so bad. He is an immediate impact player IMO. I look for him to have a CJ Mosley type impact actually. Good against both the pass and run. I think he and Freeman would be a fine duo. DQ was a mistake.

It really just comes down to "Impact players". Guys who change the outcomes of the game. The only one we have on D are Vontae and Mathis. Everyone else is average or worse.

But if you're talking position wise:

- A big bodied NT who can push the pocket back and make hits in the back field. Chapman isn't getting it done.

-A hard hitting SS/FS (Pagano likes hybrid safeties) guy who can play the enforcer role in the middle of the field, but also support the run game.

-An ILB that can go sideline to sideline and actually cover TE's. We also need an ILB to be the future signal caller for our D.

Our defense is missing much, much more than just an ILB.

Our DL gets pushed around badly by better lines.

We don't have many player makers at any of the 4 LBer spots.

We have one good cornerback and the other who runs hot and cold.

We have one decent safety and the others are OK to sub-par.

We need lots and lots of help on defense....

Freeman, Jackson, Walden, and Werner have all been bad this year. I think this is the biggest reason the defense is so bad, we have one of the worst LB groups in the league. 

Werner looks like he won't be anything more then a Jarrett Johnson kind of player, he just doesn't have the explosiveness that most OLB's do. Walden is an average run defender but can't rush the passer. Freeman isn't good vs the run and Jackson is too slow to cover. All 4 of the LB 's needs to be upgraded this season if were going to improve the defense.