Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Roster Cuts (Official Thread)

TKnight24

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that was mainly a play on words but FN played well enough last night to earn a spot on the PS, IMO.  He reminds me a lot of Saturday with his movement and technique.  A couple of years in an NFL strength program and he could turn into a valuable man on the 53 man roster.

Honestly, I was just playing around.  He needs a little weight on his bones, but that can happen as we know.  Jeff was a pudgy little fella when he get here...and he turned out OK :)

Cuts so far

WR's

1.N Richardson-1

2.E Thomas-2

3.Tony Washington-3

Linebackers

1.J Sharpe-4

Guards

1.Cureton-5

2.M Hall-6

Safeties

1.Sims-7

Corners

1.Q Cox-8

2.Johnny Adams-9

3.K Jackson-10

Fullback

1.Cameron White-11

So far I see a 3 way tie between Burley, Purifoy and Price for the 5th Corner spot, I think it goes to Purifoy if the coaches can trust him outside there supervision, Otherwise I see Burley in

FB is set with Havili I think..Leaving Harvey to be cut

Cuts so far

WR's

1.N Richardson-1

2.E Thomas-2

3.Tony Washington-3

Linebackers

1.J Sharpe-4

Guards

1.Cureton-5

2.M Hall-6

Safeties

1.Sims-7

Corners

1.Q Cox-8

2.Johnny Adams-9

3.K Jackson-10

Fullback

1.Cameron White-11

So far I see a 3 way tie between Burley, Purifoy and Price

Harvey will not be cut in the 75....maybe the 53....just my opinion.  As you know...I like him!

Cuts so far

WR's

1.N Richardson-1

2.E Thomas-2

3.Tony Washington-3

Linebackers

1.J Sharpe-4

Guards

1.Cureton-5

2.M Hall-6

Safeties

1.Sims-7

Corners

1.Q Cox-8

2.Johnny Adams-9

3.K Jackson-10

Fullback

1.Cameron White-11

So far I see a 3 way tie between Burley, Purifoy and Price for the 5th Corner spot, I think it goes to Purifoy if the coaches can trust him outside there supervision, Otherwise I see Burley in

Don't even remember seeing Price the whole preseason

Burley and definitely Purifoy were known this season

Purifoy better not get cut

If they want the best players on the field, they'll cut all the Fullbacks and use Allen in that role.

Why? Pep wont throw to him hardly in that case, And Allen is not a consistent enough blocker yet to be a full time H Back

If they want the best players on the field, they'll cut all the Fullbacks and use Allen in that role.

Or, not use a FB period.

Run a spread offense like Denver or a One back offense like Alabama does

Too many weapons to be using a FB. Havili is average, why keep average on the field to take good, great, or ELITE (Reggie Wayne only) off the field?

Or, not use a FB period.

Run a spread offense like Denver or a One back offense like Alabama does

Too many weapons to be using a FB. Havili is average, why keep average on the field to take good, great, or ELITE (Reggie Wayne only) off the field?

I am not sure I have seen the FB position make any kind of difference for us.  I agree....get those play makers on the field..... :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:  :blueshoe:

Cam White goes before Mario.  Still backing my special teams guy until the end...just like I cannot even THINK of Studebaker getting cut as hard as he plays!

I would not be surprised if all of our OLB's make it though I am thinking Hunt gets cut

I would not be surprised if all of our OLB's make it though I am thinking Hunt gets cut

I totally agree, and we need a Studebaker and/or a Harvey to make noise with Sergio on the special teams.  Purifoy has been solid there too.   Last cuts:  You need to know how to 'get after it' on special teams!!

I am not sure I have seen the FB position make any kind of difference for us. I agree....get those play makers on the field..... :blueshoe::blueshoe::blueshoe:

Only time it made a difference was against Denver last year where Havili caught the Spider Y Banana touchdown pass

And then also Havili had a FF in that game too but it wasn't hard to make Holliday fumble in those days. But still I'll give Havili his credit

Don't even remember seeing Price the whole preseason

Burley and definitely Purifoy were known this season

Purifoy better not get cut

I thought Price played pretty well when he was out there.  Purifoy looked good, and they're using him as a punt returner, so he may have the leg up.

I'm not sure they'll keep two rookies, so maybe Price and Purifoy make the team.  Or maybe a vet from the waiver wire.

I thought Price played pretty well when he was out there. Purifoy looked good, and they're using him as a punt returner, so he may have the leg up.

I'm not sure they'll keep two rookies, so maybe Price and Purifoy make the team. Or maybe a vet from the waiver wire.

Champ Bailey?

:lol:

I thought Price played pretty well when he was out there.  Purifoy looked good, and they're using him as a punt returner, so he may have the leg up.

I'm not sure they'll keep two rookies, so maybe Price and Purifoy make the team.  Or maybe a vet from the waiver wire.

Most of what I have read here and there suggest that both Purifoy and Burley have outplayed Price.  I do agree he has looked respectable so far...not lost like he was last preseason.

I haven't watched the 2nd half of the Saints game yet, but what really stood out to me in the Giants game was that, when Price was in, I don't recall them throwing his way even once.  I did see the NYG QB's look that way and then immediately move on to other reads.  The only time his name was called was for one Illegal contact penalty but the fact that QB's looked that way and immediately moved on seems to tell me he had pretty good coverage on his man.

I also agree with your last point about the 2 rookies, I think Price and either Purifoy or Burley make the team and the other guy (between Purifoy and Burley) goes to the PS.

Here's the list of the players cut:

CB Johnny Adams

CB Qua Cox

G Andre Cureton

G Marcus Hall

CB Kameron Jackson

WR Nu'Keese Richardson

LB Jonathon Sharpe

S David Sims

WR Eric Thomas

WR Tony Washington

FB Cameron White

I hope the colts keep the right players. Because we really really need help with the o-line after cuts their might be sum good talent for the o-line

I hope the colts keep the right players. Because we really really need help with the o-line after cuts their might be sum good talent for the o-line

If they were good talent they would not get cut, especially in the cut to 75.  There may be a few good players that get cut in the final round but probably not anyone that will be able to come in and help right away.

The only 2 that were remotely surprising were Tony Washington and David Sims. Washington is much more talented than Josh Lenz and the kid from Illinois...Lankford.

I also say that FN Lutz is still here...someone must be FN Nutz to keep him :)

I've always felt like Lenz outperformed every other receiver besides the obvious six in training camp but I thought he lost his spot after the fumble. He gets open though. I see him back on the practice squad.

@KBowenColts: The @Colts have cut down to 79 players. Today they waived CB-Johnny Adams, CB-Qua Cox, G-Andre Cureton, G-Marcus Hall, CB-Kameron Jackson…

@KBowenColts: …WR-Nu’Keese Richardson, LB-Jonathon Sharpe, S-David Sims, WR-Eric Thomas, WR-Tony Washington and FB-Cameron White.

Here's the list of the players cut:

CB Johnny Adams

CB Qua Cox

G Andre Cureton

G Marcus Hall

CB Kameron Jackson

WR Nu'Keese Richardson

LB Jonathon Sharpe

S David Sims

WR Eric Thomas

WR Tony Washington

FB Cameron White

Not a single one of those were a big surprise to me. The next 4 will b interesting but I don't think they be any surprises there. Its the cuts on Friday that will get very dicey. Can't wait!

Recorded the Saints game, but haven't watched it yet. But Purifoy looks like a solid punt returned so I think he stays. I think the next obvious cut it Tanner after that fumble he had. Plus we got Fluellen.

I think Tanner already got cut to make room for Fluellen.

Four more cuts to make by tomorrow. 

It will be really interesting in a few days when we cut to 53 and put some guys on IR.

Here are the guys I think are locks, assuming health:

Offense: 21 spots

QB: Luck, Hasselback

RB: Richardson, Bradshaw, Herron

WR: Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Moncrief, Whalen (I think Rogers makes it, too, but I think Whalen has solidified his spot)

TE: Allen, Fleener, Doyle

FB: No locks, depends on Havili's status, because Harvey hasn't been good, but Havili hasn't played

OL: AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, GC, Reitz, Louis, Harrison (for the time being, since Holmes' status is uncertain)

Defense: 20 spots

DL: Redding, Jones, Chapman, RJF, Kerr (I think Hughes makes it, but can't call him a lock right now)

OLB: Werner, Walden, Newsome, Studebaker (Mathis, of course, but doesn't count against the 53 until Week 5)

ILB: Freeman, D. Jackson, Sheppard (I think McNary and Muamba make it)

CB: Davis, Toler, Butler, Gordy (between Purifoy and Burley here, depending on other roster mechanics)

S: Landry, M. Adams, Anderson, Brown

ST: 3 spots

AV, McAfee, Overton

That's 44 spots that I think are virtually sewn up. Leaves nine openings, probably for a FB, two OL, a WR, a DL, and a mix of three LBs and/or DBs (and one of those DBs should be a returner, which is why I lean toward Purifoy). One of those linemen spots are a luxury; I think carrying nine is ideal, but our starting center is nicked up. And maybe an extra RB. The 10th OL and 6th WR are stressing the roster.

Tanner got cut when we got Fullen

Good. He was not impressive.

It will be really interesting in a few days when we cut to 53 and put some guys on IR.

WR: Wayne, Hilton, Nicks, Moncrief, Whalen (I think Rogers makes it, too, but I think Whalen has solidified his spot)

FB: No locks, depends on Havili's status, because Harvey hasn't been good, but Havili hasn't played

OL: AC, Mewhort, Holmes, Thornton, GC, Reitz, Louis, Harrison (for the time being, since Holmes' status is uncertain)

DL: Redding, Jones, Chapman, RJF, Kerr (I think Hughes makes it, but can't call him a lock right now)

OLB: Werner, Walden, Newsome, Studebaker (Mathis, of course, but doesn't count against the 53 until Week 5)

CB: Davis, Toler, Butler, Gordy (between Purifoy and Burley here, depending on other roster mechanics)

AV, McAfee, Overton

That's 44 spots that I think are virtually sewn up. Leaves nine openings, probably for a FB, two OL, a WR, a DL, and a mix of three LBs and/or DBs (and one of those DBs should be a returner, which is why I lean toward Purifoy). One of those linemen spots are a luxury; I think carrying nine is ideal, but our starting center is nicked up. And maybe an extra RB. The 10th OL and 6th WR are stressing the roster.

I would add Andrew Jackson to that list. He'll contribute on special teams for know, but he's probably the long term answer at ILB in the near future.

Purifoy seems to be a lock as the KR since they'll want to free up Whalen from those duties.

Good. He was not impressive.

I would add Andrew Jackson to that list. He'll contribute on special teams for know, but he's probably the long term answer at ILB in the near future.

Purifoy seems to be a lock as the KR since they'll want to free up Whalen from those duties.

Andrew Jackson is another that hasn't played. I think he's PS material.

If they were good talent they would not get cut, especially in the cut to 75. There may be a few good players that get cut in the final round but probably not anyone that will be able to come in and help right away.

I hear what you are saying,but you never know where talent will come.I feel we made a mistake signing Childress and not making a move for better players up front.

AV, McAfee, Overton

I wouldn't count Doyle, Studebaker, or Anderston as locks.  Good chance to make the team though.

I wouldn't even count Kerr as a lock, even though he deserves it from what we saw.  But let's not forget Nevis.

Based on contracts, Sheppard, but maybe not on performance.  I don't think he's been as bad as people are saying here, but he's not been anything special.  JMHO.

I wouldn't count Doyle, Studebaker, or Anderston as locks.  Good chance to make the team though.

I wouldn't even count Kerr as a lock, even though he deserves it from what we saw.  But let's not forget Nevis.

Based on contracts, Sheppard, but maybe not on performance.  I don't think he's been as bad as people are saying here, but he's not been anything special.  JMHO.

These are the guys I think have made the roster already. JMO. It's not that they are so far and away better than the other guys at their positions, but given their role and our roster mechanics, and their preseason performance, I think they make it.

I'm sure I'm wrong on some.

As for Sheppard, if it were about contracts, I'd cut him. Having A. Jackson or Studebaker at that spot would save the team nearly a million in cap space. If it's about performance, I think he's been good enough to keep. No, not special, but solid, especially assuming he's a reserve / early down player. Moving Studebaker to ILB, or having him in a hybrid role, would make it easier to keep another pass rusher like Cam Johnson. I think Johnson is probably next on the list.