Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

That Big, Tall Deep Threat Wr Manning Never Had

theking213

Peyton Mannings seasons are numbered and counting down, this draft may be the last opportunity to give him that big, tall athletic deep threat Wide out that he has never had in his career.

This draft class is loaded with talented tall receivers and the Colts should spend at least one pick to nab one

Also there are some highly notable upcoming free agent WR.

http://nfltraderumors.co/2011022012-nfl-free-agents/

The bio, strengths & weaknesses are those I have compiled from across the web and are not my own words

I have also included the prospects which I think the Colts have a legitimate shot at with the way the season is going.

The top 3 WRs over 6'2"

alshon-jeffery-touchdown.jpg

Alshon Jeffery - South Carolina

Projected top 10 pick

6'4" 229 lbs

Projected 40: 4.56

Strengths:

• Has fought through poor quarterback play and made a name for himself as a player who simply gets the job done.
  • Impossible to press coverage, he just bullies his way out of it.
  • Very soft hands and a huge wing span
  • Long strider who glides deceivingly quick.

Weaknesses:

• Room for improvement as a route runner
  • Rounds routes too often and needs to show better burst in and out of cuts.
  • Lack of elite speed

Overall: His skill-set is advanced enough to compensate for whatever he lacks in the speed department and give him the potential to be one of the league's most feared receivers.

Best game

9/25/2010 @ Auburn

8 rec 192 yds (24.0 avg)

2 touchdowns longest reception: 69 yds

ncf_a_fuller_ps_300.jpg

Jeff Fuller - Texas A&M

Projected 2 - 3 (Is currently out with a concussion so could fall to Colts in 3rd)

6'4" 220 lbs

Projected 40: 4.52

Strengths:

• Size- Jeff Fuller is more of a modern day wide receiver standing at 6 foot, 4 inches tall and 215 pounds. When I watch Fuller play, he showed that he was not scared to use his big body as an advantage against opposing corners. He likes to get into opposing corners faces, which usually led them on their backs.
  • Hands- The biggest thing that makes a wide receiver is his hands. You must know how to catch the ball correctly and time it correctly, which Jeff Fuller can do. His hands aren’t just skilled, they are huge. You can have 20 normal size handed corners trying to snag the ball from him, but at the end of the play with his huge hands he will catch the ball.
  • Clutch in the red zone- Mesh those two strengths above then you get a red zone target, which is what Jeff Fuller is. When the Aggie’s got to the red zone they knew who there target was Jeff Fuller because of his size and skilled hands that he would make the catch close to 100% of the time. You would think opposing defenses would have caught on to this, but they never did. Jeff Fuller is close to unstoppable when it came to the red zone.

Weaknesses:

• Speed- Jeff Fuller is not the fastest receiver. He tends to get beat out by corners due to his speed. If he wants to take his game to the next level where there are really fast corners, he will definitely need to work on his speed.
  • Durability- A couple of injuries here and there for Jeff Fuller, but the biggest one was breaking his leg back in 2009 against Utah State.
  • More aggressive on yards after catch- I saw a couple; actually a lot of plays where Jeff Fuller made a catch then stepped out of bounds immediately. He needs to be more aggressive on getting the most yards he can get after catching the ball, even if it is one or two more yards.

Overall: A less physical version of Alshon Jeffery

Best game

10/30/2010 Texas Tech

11 rec 171 yds (avg 15.5)

2 TDs (Long: 34)

**Potential steal of the draft**

10112011123309pm.jpg

Dwight Jones - UNC

Projected late 2nd - 3rd round

• But with the monster year he's having so far, he could shoot up the draft board.10112011123533pm.jpg

6'4" 210 lbs

05/23/2011 Junior Pro Day 40: 4.50 sec

Evaluation

"Tarheels wide receiver Dwight Jones is an interesting prospect to watch this season. He combines great speed with a big body in a deep threat receiver. He also has enough quickness to be a force underneath as well. The big thing he needs to work on is consistency, especially in route running (which is solid enough for a big receiver, but needs refinement and sharpness). He has the potential to be a first round pick, but likely falls somewhere between rounds two and four as of right now."

-8/18/11

"Jones is a big receiver with good hands. He isn't quite the explosive threat that his former teammate, Greg Little, was, but he has enough speed to create a bit of separation, and with his size, he can give a quarterback a window to throw the ball into it. His routes are good, but they are what they are at this point, he's not going to be able to make them much sharper at his size. Good enough straight line speed, could really be an asset in the red zone, and a potential number two receiver in the NFL."

-10/1/11

Nick Toon is a current 2nd round prospect that I would also give strong consideration to as well as Michael Floyd from ND. Reuben Randle from LSU is another big bodied WR who is currently a mid-round prospect that I'd give consideration to.

Revisionist history much?

Google: Marvin Harrison (And then pass up any link mentioning a gun)

Miss the point of the thread much? :P

How does Marvin Harrison (at 6'0") fit into any discussion of big, tall WR's? Yes he was a deep threat and yes he was an elite WR, but he was not in the mold of the type of WR the OP is referring to.

Edited by Jason

Miss the point of the thread much? :P

How does Marvin Harrison (at 6'0") fit into any discussion of big, tall WR's? Yes he was a deep threat and yes he was an elite WR, but he was not in the mold of the type of WR the OP is referring to.

You missed my point.

Size is grossly overrated.

Marvin was tiny and he was a deep threat. Desean jackson isn't a big guy and he's a deep threat. The list goes on and on.

Size, unless you have Randy Moss type hands, and very, very few do, doesn't equal success.

We don't need a hulking deep threat. If we want a hulking WR, he'd be better off in the slot in our offense.

Edited by John Waylon

You missed my point.

Marvin was tiny and he was a deep threat. Desean jackson isn't a big guy and he's a deep threat. The list goes on and on.

Size, unless you have Randy Moss type hands, and very, very few do, doesn't equal success.

We don't need a hulking deep threat. If we want a hulking WR, he'd be better off in the slot in our offense.

I didn't miss your point...you simply failed to make one. ;)

You missed my point.

These guys aren't the types that can fight with a DB and body them out, most notably on fades and hooks in the endzone.

Manning has never had a big WR, thats all the OP is getting at. I too have always wanted a possession type, big fella, to give Manning that dimension in his corps.

Gimme a combination of the best route-runner/best hands guy available....if he's 6'1"+ then that's a bonus.

Peyton can manipulate DBs to help them separate....but they gotta be where the route is going, and on time.

Harrison and Collie was/is a superb route runner with great hands...and Peyton does the rest.

Revisionist history much?

Google: Marvin Harrison (And then pass up any link mentioning a gun)

I understand where you're coming from. Manning doesn't really need a 6'5 beast at WR

He has become a legend with smaller quicker receivers who run great routes and Manning puts it in the perfect place most of the time.

But after he comes back from the injury the colts need to make it easier on him. And a deep threat big WR can reduce the time he spends with the ball in his hand in the pocket.

Bc you just know defenses are going to hit Manning even harder and more after the whistle from now on.

The OP must have completely forgot about the great Aaron Moorehead. He was a fixture here with his extreme athletic ablity, route running and Harrisonesque hands.

/Sarcasm

Aaron Moorehead was a god among men. If you're a CB, standing opposite of him at the line of scrimmage, you get hypnotized. True story.

xt.fss.l.nfl.com-p.3563.gif

Edited by ReMeDy

I expect that Floyd will be a great WR....and is also a very good run blocker (for a WR). However, I don't think the Colts end up with him unless they end up with the #1 and trade down to 5-10 to get him.

They have too many other holes to take a WR in the top 3 picks, so getting him probably means they trade their top pick.

I'm starting to think WR isn't as important (top talent wise) as other positions.

Recently I heard Bill Walsh (HOF coach of the 49ers) say that you should fill your roster, then worry about WRs last. The fact that he had Montana, Steve Young, and Jerry Rice, I listen closely to what he says. Add to that the success Brady has had with "no name" receivers and the way Manning didn't seem to miss a beat when Clark, Garcon, Collie, Harrison went down has me interested. Maybe top receivers aren't that important relatively speaking. Now , of course, magatron, Andre johnson, etc are freaks, but overall, maybe most receivers are "expendable". Timing can be an issue but its interesting that a TOP, HOF, respected SB winning coach who had Jerry Rice would say that.

I agree tho, a tall bigger guy that can catch in traffic would have to help our team. Unfortunately, there are few of them and they are expensive (or they catch like Hank Baskett).

I still think I like taking a QB next draft if a "franchise" guy like Luck is available. Manning's uncertainty, and the fact that he'll only play 3 or 4 more years at most seem like its THE perfect time to groom the heir-apparent. Perfect timing I think. And the "new guy" can learn from arguably the best ever. QB is just too important today.

Just look at the turnarounds of Detroit, St Louis, Atlanta, etc. If you have the chance to get one, you Take Him! Even if things go perfectly with manning, we'll be looking in about 2 years anyway. Why wait and risk not having a chance at one picking in the 30s like usual. The difference between a low 1st QB and 2nd rd QB is greater than diff between low 1st rd WR and 2nd rd WR I think. Even if the guy sits in yrs 1 & 2, its still better value. And why would this team worry about a 1st rd pick on a back-up? They do it all the time, Brown, Hughes,...

Just look at the turnarounds of Detroit, St Louis, Atlanta, etc. If you have the chance to get one, you Take Him! Even if things go perfectly with manning, we'll be looking in about 2 years anyway. Why wait and risk not having a chance at one picking in the 30s like usual. The difference between a low 1st QB and 2nd rd QB is greater than diff between low 1st rd WR and 2nd rd WR I think. Even if the guy sits in yrs 1 & 2, its still better value. And why would this team worry about a 1st rd pick on a back-up? They do it all the time, Brown, Hughes,...

Drafting a backup in the late first round (which imo is still a mistake) is very different from drafting a backup #1 overall. All personal opinions aside, historically speaking teams don't spend a #1 overall pick on a multi-year backup.

It would be awesome to see the colts nab a big Wideout, the last one they had didnt work out *clears throat* roy hall.... I think what will be interesting is will the colts sign garcon next year, i would hope they do but when they were talking about retaining wayne and mathis i heard no mention of garcon.

I understand where you're coming from. Manning doesn't really need a 6'5 beast at WR

He has become a legend with smaller quicker receivers who run great routes and Manning puts it in the perfect place most of the time.

But after he comes back from the injury the colts need to make it easier on him. And a deep threat big WR can reduce the time he spends with the ball in his hand in the pocket.

Bc you just know defenses are going to hit Manning even harder and more after the whistle from now on.

Hold on a sec... since when did Manning ever have any problems holding onto the ball for too long? If anything, he's made his release time quicker to adjust for poor pass protection. He's widely known to have one of the quickest release times in the league.

Furthermore, none of the guys you listed are particularly speed burners or good route runners. I'm not saying that the guys you listed won't help, but just not in the way you're asserting.

Hold on a sec... since when did Manning ever have any problems holding onto the ball for too long? If anything, he's made his release time quicker to adjust for poor pass protection. He's widely known to have one of the quickest release times in the league.

Furthermore, none of the guys you listed are particularly speed burners or good route runners. I'm not saying that the guys you listed won't help, but just not in the way you're asserting.

I'd love to get Rueben Randle from LSU if he comes out this year. His 40 time is right there with Jeffery, Floyd and Blackmon but on the field he looks faster than Jeffery. He's 6'3" though only 208 lbs so he's not as physical as Jeffery or Floyd, though that's also why he's a little faster.

A lot of it will depend on what Reggie Wayne does. If we re-sign him, which I think we will, then I would guess a 3rd round pick could go for a WR like Dwight Jones. If we don't re-sign Wayne, then I expect to use a first rounder on Blackmon, Jeffery, or Floyd, depending on where we draft.

If we end up with the #1, I expect to trade the pick and maybe get a WR, DE, OL, and/or LB in the first and second rounds.

Dare we add roy hall and hank baskett to your list as well?

Again, size is grossly overrated.

I agree. Our offense is time based. It would be awesome to have a big tall WR that could run routes like Reggie and Collie but thats not going to happen. I don't know that I have heard of one that could run routes THAT well. We have a different style of offense... And since when does Peyton need a BIG WR or Window to throw through/at? You act as if he needs to work on his accuracy.

Im tired of us spending picks on offense

Offense is not the problem, put any players around Manning and we can score points. We've seen Manning play well with White, Tamme, Garcon etc.

We need to focus on defense, I would be a lot more happier dropping 28 pts a game while holding the opponent to 2 tds or less rather than winning 42-35 in a shootout. We can always score as long as we have Manning but Manning can't play defense or bail them out anymore. More turnovers also = more offensive possessions.

Edited by ssarow

This is so true. It's what I've been saying for years. Our guys can't get the 50/50 ball and it's been that way throughout the Peyton era. Marvin is a HOFer, but he was so weak that Ty Law could give him a little bump and it was all over---INT.

Well sure, because every team has a DB, or two with Law's combo of size and ability....

Well, except us.

And 31 other teams...

Edited by John Waylon

While I think a big, fast receiver would be great, but 4.5 is not fast. Megatron ran in the low 4.3 area and is only now beginning to get his route running down.

I think our needs on defense and to a lesser extent, the OL are far greater than for another receiver.

Drafting a backup in the late first round (which imo is still a mistake) is very different from drafting a backup #1 overall. All personal opinions aside, historically speaking teams don't spend a #1 overall pick on a multi-year backup.

Historically, there has never been a Manning along with an injury that we have NO IDEA if he will ever be available to play again.

You can't compare this to any other situation. I'd rather grab a "franchise guy" and make him sit (maybe) than probably not get the cahnce again.

And realistically, he might be needed to play sooner than we think (or hope).

Starting rookie QBs is a relatively new thing anyway. Teams have really only started rookie 1st rd picks in recent years, primarily because of the cap. The new rookie cap will help in that area.

Heck, we drafted back-up RB and DE in the 1st round. Why is QB any different?

Historically, there has never been a Manning along with an injury that we have NO IDEA if he will ever be available to play again. I've said 100 or more times that we'll have a better idea of Manning's long-term health when the draft comes around. His health at the time will play heavily into the decision.

You can't compare this to any other situation. I'd rather grab a "franchise guy" and make him sit (maybe) than probably not get the cahnce again. I've also said 100 or more times, we can still grab a "franchise guy" without using the #1 overall pick. There are going to be a minimum of 3-4 QBs in the draft with the potential to be great NFL QBs

And realistically, he might be needed to play sooner than we think (or hope).

Starting rookie QBs is a relatively new thing anyway. Teams have really only started rookie 1st rd picks in recent years, primarily because of the cap. The new rookie cap will help in that area. It's not just been in recent years...it's gone back to the 1990's if not earlier. Not a single #1 overall QB has sat for more than 1 year and in most cases they've started much sooner than that. You take a QB #1 overall when you need him to start right away. If you need one to start 2-3 years down the road you take one much later...historically speaking that is.

Heck, we drafted back-up RB and DE in the 1st round. Why is QB any different? They were drafted at the end of the first round...you want to take a QB at the end of the first round I have no problem with that. After all, THAT is what Green Bay did.

So again, there are other QB prospects who can sit behind Manning and learn from him. We don't HAVE to take Luck, there are other options and I could argue that there may even be better ones. I've said this numerous times before though and it always seems to get overlooked and people simply come back again with "must take Luck" so I'm not expecting anything different this time but you quoted me directly so...these are my answers.

Edited by Jason

incidentally, I would have no problem furthering the discussion if you wish but not in this thread. Too many have been derailed already and I don't want to be responsible for derailing this one any more that it already has been.

back to topic, another big, tall WR I'd love to give a look to is Derek Moye...he's 6'5" but only 215 lbs so he does need to put on some weight so he's not mugged by NFL CB's but he's projected as a 7th round pick and if he stays that way could be an absolute steal. :)

Dwight Jones to me sounds like the best pick of the 3. The other 2 are not as fast but slightly heavier and more physical. there's potential for the Colts 2 draft Luck and Jones, which would go a long way in securing a elite offense for the future.

We won't get Jefferey, I don't see the Colts picking a WR first round.

But I definitely want either Fuller or Jones. Both would be a great value.

It never hurts to add more playmakers to the offense.

Ok here's my thing....this is likely going to be a very deep draft for WR. If we're going to draft an offensive weapon in the 2nd/3rd round, I'd like to grab Coby Fleener, TE from Stanford. He's 6'6" 245 lbs, a great blocker and is the 3rd fastest player (reportedly) on the Stanford team. Then we could hold off till the 4th/5th round to take a WR. If we want the big bodied WR this thread is talking about there's Reuben Randle as I mentioned before, though he's one of the few Jr's so he may wind up staying in college in order to be a higher draft pick in '13. However there's still Greg Childs and Juron Criner who are projected around the same area.