Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Collie to be ready for opener

CS Colts Fan

As long as the doctors say he is good to go, I don't see a problem with letting him play. The doctors know the short and long term effects multiple concussions can have and the team doctors best know the extent of Collie's concussions. With all of that in mind, if the doctors say it is ok for him to go play and Collie understands the risks and still decides to play, I have no problem with it.

at the end of the day its collie's choice. im happy hes still gonna play but at the same time im also worried about his well being. collie needs to learn from reggie on how to avoid the big hit. no one does it better imo expect for maybe marv.

I wish him the best of luck. I want him to accomplish his dreams of excelling at the sport he loves, but I don't want to see him sustain further injury. If this is what he wants, and the doctors have cleared him, all I can say is go get them Austin.

Will this have an effect on Luck's play? In many situations, as a QB, you have to unload the ball fast, and usually to a guy that's in a tight situation. Would Luck hesitate to throw to Collie to try to perserve him from taking a big hit, yet cost the team a reception?

Will this have an effect on Luck's play? In many situations, as a QB, you have to unload the ball fast, and usually to a guy that's in a tight situation. Would Luck hesitate to throw to Collie to try to perserve him from taking a big hit, yet cost the team a reception?

i think the coaching staff will try to keep collie away from the middle of the field because thats where all the big hits happen.

good article on yahoo sports about him, this just a clip.

Collie, at least, is aware of the fans' concerns.

"The fans are great. I know everybody wants what is best for me and for my family," said Collie, according to Johnson. "It has been a humbling experience just being here these last four years and just seeing how much the fans have been in my corner. That is why they are the best fans in the world. I love them, I'm thankful for their concern with everything that has gone on."

I never doubted that he would be ready week 1. My concern now is that he will be ready week 1, out weeks 2-4, ready week 5, out weeks 6-10, etc. My opinion is that any hit that jars his head will result in further concussions and missed playing time, and as much as he plays in the slot, he is bound to take some more hits. Time will tell.

i think the coaching staff will try to keep collie away from the middle of the field because thats where all the big hits happen.

I hope that you are right. I do recall that one of his concussions came from running a skinny post, leading right to the safety. It took a while to recover from that concussion and when he did, he ran a skinny post which led to another concussion. I always wondered if Manning regreted throwing that pass, knowing it was the same exact route Collie was running.

I hope that this coaching staff is smarter than the last one. Part of it is that Collie has taken some avoidable hits, but some of them have just been plain unusual, and kind of a fluke.

I hope that you are right. I do recall that one of his concussions came from running a skinny post, leading right to the safety. It took a while to recover from that concussion and when he did, he ran a skinny post which led to another concussion. I always wondered if Manning regreted throwing that pass, knowing it was the same exact route Collie was running.

I hope that this coaching staff is smarter than the last one. Part of it is that Collie has taken some avoidable hits, but some of them have just been plain unusual, and kind of a fluke.

no offense to peyton but he really led wrs like collie clark and stokley into situations where they got killed. brady doesnt do that

no offense to peyton but he really led wrs like collie clark and stokley into situations where they got killed. brady doesnt do that

I disagree. I don't think any QB does it on purpose. If it happens, it happens. But I don't think Peyton would lead the WRs to places where they could take huge hits.

I disagree. I don't think any QB does it on purpose. If it happens, it happens. But I don't think Peyton would lead the WRs to places where they could take huge hits.

I dont think he intentionally tried to get people into bad situations, but he did do it quite a bit. I was watching the Bronco vs 49ers game Sunday and he threw pass out there where a WR got creamed by two guys. The guy had no shot at not being demolished if he caught the ball.

they may not do it purposely but ive seen peyton do it a number of times. i know hes just trying to make the play but his wrs pay the price

I wasn't being serious...I thought it was absurd to say that Peyton led WR's into big hits. If anything he deterred from it. We've just been unlucky.

have you seen the hits collie clark and stokley have taken? even now as a bronco ive seen him do it

Collie needs to go into the film vault and open up the film on Marvin Harrison. He needs to worry about getting to his mark and posessing the ball and get DOWN. YAC will come when he beats the defender deep on a playaction play. I believe we are deep enough at the WR position to hand out roles accordingly. If you are injury prone and you get laid out everytime you catch a ball and try and turn up the field to get extra yardage, your putting yourself and the team in danger. Collie is not built for impact. He is a finesse player with aggressive route running. We have players built to run through you and players built to run aroung you or pass you. Collie has to transform his game and why not mimic Marvelous Marvin Harrison. He will last longer , and achieve alot of individual accomplishments. Fans shouldnt have to keep holding there breath when a athlete of his abilities catches the ball. Streaks or Stretcher.... Or just make it much easier and bring Welker in at slot and keep Mr. Glass on the outside. I love Collie as a player to keep watching him take afternoon naps in the middle of the field.

I like Collie, and hope he can actually play, but it wrecks my gut every time the kid gets hit. He makes the tough catches, but that seems to be the end of his day. I hope I am not misunderstood. I WANT this kid to be able to play, but I do NOT WANT to see his body twitching on the field. For him, for me, and for any of the fans watching. I do love the physical part of the game, but head injuries are scary. You never know when the damage is going to be severe, and this poor fellow has had a few ugly ones already. I hope the best for Austin, and I would LOVE to see him play a long and safe career in the NFL. Just my 2 cents......

- Eric

Kris Adams is 6'3 he should be tried in the slot to go over the middle

Still banging this drum?

To repeat, the entire league has identified a certain skill-set and body type that best fits the slot WR. Essentially, it appears the ability to be quick in and out of breaks in congested areas while being able to uncover is a more desirable quality than being 6'3". I have seen you say recently that you are learning the game - just saying you may want to consider why there is no one who does what you want Adams to do with his frame.

Do you remember Wes Welker having his bell rung by the Steelers once? It happens to slot wideouts. I am sure others can think of more examples.

I do agree Peyton dipped into that slot well more earlier in his career while putting Stokley in harm's way but he got better at it, IMO.

Do you remember Wes Welker having his bell rung by the Steelers once? It happens to slot wideouts. I am sure others can think of more examples.

I do agree Peyton dipped into that slot well more earlier in his career while putting Stokley in harm's way but he got better at it, IMO.

perfect example of brady protecting welker was in the super bowl. threw it the opposite side of welker because he knew if he led welker he was gotta get killed.

perfect example of brady protecting welker was in the super bowl. threw it the opposite side of welker because he knew if he led welker he was gotta get killed.

Saved Welker but then gave him a difficult enough ball that he dropped, right? :) But I see what you are saying.

Peyton and the Colts' WRs/TEs would have benefited from the defenseless receiver rules in the NFL now in the slot.

I also know that Brady and Eli throw the ball low for completions more than Peyton does. I am not an O-line expert and cannot really put a finger on what kind of O-line pockets one needs for a throw that ends up low. Just something I observed.

Saved Welker but then gave him a difficult enough ball that he dropped, right? :) But I see what you are saying.

Peyton and the Colts' WRs/TEs would have benefited from the defenseless receiver rules in the NFL now in the slot.

I also know that Brady and Eli throw the ball low for completions more than Peyton does. I am not an O-line expert and cannot really put a finger on what kind of O-line pockets one needs for a throw that ends up low. Just something I observed.

pretty sure he would have dropped it if he got rocked