Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

thoughts on trades

WoolMagnet

I've liked the trades Grigson has put together.

The 2nd given for davis will most likely be a mid-round pick. Reasonale value as GOOD cbs aren't easy to find in the 1st round, let alone the 2nd. Is Davis worth a 2nd pick? Probably.

The bigger issue I see is that this is actually a good year for us to invest future picks.

Next year, we will have MAJOR $$$$ to spend in free agency. This will more than make up for any lost draft picks.

OL is a good place to get talent via free agency.

I see us really filling the holes next year in free agency.

But overall, its nice to see this organization isn't afraid to bring people in. And i think, overall, the trades have been good ones.

I like what I'm seeing.

Hard to believe we gave up our 2nd round pick ??? How do you build a team without keeping these critical picks? A 2nd round pick is crucial, and I mean crucial to build a team with A LOT of needs like we have. We have had a lot of injuries and those ACL injuries are hard to come back from and some people never do and are never the same and so we likely will need a D-Tackle next year and a 2nd round pick would be perfect for that. I'm just still stunned.

Hard to believe we gave up our 2nd round pick ??? How do you build a team without keeping these critical picks? A 2nd round pick is crucial, and I mean crucial to build a team with A LOT of needs like we have. We have had a lot of injuries and those ACL injuries are hard to come back from and some people never do and are never the same and so we likely will need a D-Tackle next year and a 2nd round pick would be perfect for that. I'm just still stunned.

We also needed cornerbacks. And we got a proven starter with a 2nd pick. It's the same drafting a starting CB in the draft with your 2nd round pick.

We probably would have picked a corner with that pick anyways. Davis is also young and has more potential than any corner in next years draft.

We also needed cornerbacks. And we got a proven starter with a 2nd pick. It's the same drafting a starting CB in the draft with your 2nd round pick.

no it's not like that because we also gave up a conditional pick and that pick could be a critical round as well... probably in the 4th or 5th round i'm guessing based on if Donte has 3 interceptions or more and # of tackles.

Im pretty sure close to 50 million dollars in cap space is going to fill some of those holes. People are completely over-reacting to a 2nd rd. pick. Especially when we got a 24 yr. old CB that has 1st rd. talent. It would be different if we gave that up for 33 yr. old on the backside of his career.

Yeah, what on earth was grigson thinking trading for a proven cornerback with tons of talent?

no it's not like that because we also gave up a conditional pick and that pick could be a critical round as well... probably in the 4th or 5th round i'm guessing based on if Donte has 3 interceptions or more and # of tackles.

It was a 6th rounder.

Conditional 6th to be exact.

Edited by Captain Americolt

Here was the give-and-take on Vontae Davis between Jeff Ireland and Bill Polian on Sirius

radio show with @alexmarvez a few weeks ago (I listened and transcribed at the time):

Polian: “Watching (Davis) in practice he jumps at you with his feet and hip movement … He should be a guy who’s (elite).

Ireland: "He’s got to turn those flashes into consistencies. Even when he does something wrong, he still looks athletically skiilled. … If he can get his fundamentals and techniques and eyes all together he’s going to be a great player in this league.

Polian: His talent leaps at you.”

Ireland: "It leaps and jumps at you. And when he hits you – we’re not tackling live – you feel it.”

I think that Pagano can make him fundamentally sound.

Excellent Trade... We picked Jerry Hughes as our number 1 pick a few years and we are just now seeing glimpes. So we make a trade and get a 1st round player for a 2nd round pick who can start right now and produce at a high level and we complain.....wow...

Everyone has cried out how much we needed a corner and we get one who can flat out play and we still find things to gripe about.

With all the attention that was being paid to Corner like Coltsguy said above we were going to go Corner early anyway instead we just did it now. Davis is a physical Corner who can stick to his man and tackles and presses well. I would love to get Amerson or Rhodes but we weren't guaranteed that in the draft so we did the next best thing and traded for a young physical Corner that can read a quarterbacks eyes and makes many plays on the ball. Now we can address the O Line early in the draft, We dont have the answers on the Right side of our O Line and protecting our Franchise Quarterback is first.We also have to get Guard that can run block unless we have a hidden gem on our roster (I think Hicks has that potential but just needs more time in games)if we can find one on our roster then that eliminates another need, But we cant have Luck running for his life

I can't complain about the trade. We know what we're getting with the trade, cause he's played in and has been successful in the league already. 2nd round pick? Who knows if it would have panned out.

Plus, he's young and likely has his best days ahead of him.

We spent a 2nd a 5th on Ben Ijalana. Every player we picked cost something whether they panned out or not. Moala cost us a 2nd, etc. In the grand scheme of what we spent acquiring guys, giving up a 2nd and 6th for Davis is, on a talent for cost level, one of our better bargains. Not Bethea in the 6th round good, but much stronger than many of our recent draft picks.

Draft picks are currency, and there's no guarantee you get your money's worth whether it's in the draft or for a trade. But if we can use the draft pick to upgrade our talent level with proven, young, affordable NFL experience, it's actually a less risky way to build a team. Davis was well worth the pick and we won't have to wait 1 or 2 years for it to pay dividends (and that's the best case scenario).

If Davis was a 29 year old RB and we were selling out for this year, I'd be irked, too. But Davis is a guy we can build a secondary around and he can grow with the team. Well worth the pick IMO.

Long, Duane Brown, and Ryan Clady are some of the top tier OT's available.

And NONE OF THEM will be available.

They will either be signed long-term, or their team will put a Franchise Tag on them. No one should expect any of those Big Three to see the FA market.

Is it possible? Yes. Anything is possible. Is it likely? No, not by a long shot.

Long, Duane Brown, and Ryan Clady are some of the top tier OT's available.

i think clady already extended and brown is in the process of. personally i don't think the colts will need a left tackle..now right tackle is a different story.

I've liked the trades Grigson has put together.

The 2nd given for davis will most likely be a mid-round pick. Reasonale value as GOOD cbs aren't easy to find in the 1st round, let alone the 2nd. Is Davis worth a 2nd pick? Probably.

The bigger issue I see is that this is actually a good year for us to invest future picks.

Next year, we will have MAJOR $$$$ to spend in free agency. This will more than make up for any lost draft picks.

OL is a good place to get talent via free agency.

I see us really filling the holes next year in free agency.

But overall, its nice to see this organization isn't afraid to bring people in. And i think, overall, the trades have been good ones.

I like what I'm seeing.

Well said, I'm with you!

Highest priority for this scheme to work best is at CB. They would have drafted a CB next year with a 2nd round pick almost certainly. We got 1st to 2nd round talent who is already proven and young. Same pick we would have used anyway on a corner, we just used it early.

I think it was a great deal i think the colts see with this new defence it really hinges on good cbs i truley believe we need to. shore up the ol for sure Luck is getting to much pressure and our OL its not getting it done maybe they can work on it and get it fixed soon