Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Offensive Line Play Sunday

dw49

Sorry that I can't remember where I saw it or heard it , but eveidently they have a bit of an excuse for the early bad play. Word (from Costonzo) was that the Rams overloaded and sent more guys than O lineman blocking. He said once they adjusted to this , in his opinion they played a good game. This makes sense as the FRams wanted to pressure Luck early and the protection did get better as the game progressed. So maybe for a "new" offensive line , this was not as bad as we think . First quarter of the 1st pre season game.....

IMO, this was a very positive start for our O line. These men had not played an offensive down together until this game. An offensive line builds on playing together and getting to know and trust each other. After the last year debacle, it was very encouraging to see decent protection and the ability to run the ball for 100 yards in the first game.

The Rams defense, if nothing else, fields one of the better front 4's in the league. I'm not surprised it took us a little while to adjust, but it's definitely a positive that we could. The line isn't as bad as people paint it to be.

That doesn't mean we still don't need to get better, but I saw more positives than negatives yesterday. Hopefully we can figure out our starting lineup and stick to it so we can build some cohesion.

The offensive line was fine to me for their first game and the rams were overloading one side and bringing 6 and 7 defenders often so I can't really criticize them if they bring more defenders than we can block. It's McGlynn I have the problem with and him getting tossed around. It has to be a better answer out there for that guard spot.

Sorry that I can't remember where I saw it or heard it , but eveidently they have a bit of an excuse for the early bad play. Word (from Costonzo) was that the Rams overloaded and sent more guys than O lineman blocking.

Well, if it's just a matter of the rams sending more guys than olineman blocking, then I'm glad teams are not allowed to do that kind of thing in the regular season or Luck may be in trouble.

Well, if it's just a matter of the rams sending more guys than olineman blocking, then I'm glad teams are not allowed to do that kind of thing in the regular season or Luck may be in trouble.

That's where the screens and hot routes getting the ball out quickly comes in to play

I thought Reitz played the best of any of our lineman followed by Castonzo, Satele, Olsen, Linkenbach, Justice, Mcglynn was awful. Reitz really impressed me, very good downfield blocker and pulls well. Thought he was our best lineman Sunday by a longshot. Castonzo had a few bad plays but, overall solid. Satele just got blown up on one play but, settled down after that but, never dominated anyone. Mcglynn was just terrible and just manhandled on every other play. Justice was inconsistent looked good one play and awful the next. Linkenbach looked much better than Justice. Olsen came in and played much better tha Mcglynn but, it didn't take much to play better than Mcgl;ynn. (the back ups) thought Shipley played well. Hayworth Hicks is a very interestimg player to me. He has a great power punch, seen him jolt his man backwards a couple of times with just the pop of his hands. uses his hands well and could be a great find down the road. I hope they choose five soon and let them mesh. Hopefully with more time together they can form some cohesion and work better as a unit. It's just one pre season game but, it didn't look good as Luck was under constant pressure, he seems to be very good at feeling the pressure and adapts well and is good at throwing on the run, which he may have to do alot. Hope it all comes together. Right now after one game I would choose LT-Castonzo LG- Reitz C-Satele RG-Olsen RT-Linkenbach

The Rams D-line; Chris Long, Kendall Langford, Michael Brockers (unproven rookie but still high potential), and Robert Quinn.....they are actually a pretty formidable group. Throw in the addition of Finnegan and Jenkins in the secondary, and they look like a respectable D.

I'll say it again, 3/4 of our starter's drives resulted in TDs. I'm getting more and more pumped for this year.

As I said before. I'm sorta happy that they did allow Luck to take a few hits. Just to give him a little taste. Cause as we all seen once he got the taste he put his feet to work. Luck definitely got a good taste of the NFL in his 1st game. Now with us going to PIT this Sunday, he'll get even more of a taste of blitz packages and zones

Do you think maye the OL , sporting three new starters , has a chance to be a little more cohesion when the regular season starts than they did the first series in the first exhibition game ? It's not really a line that has played together a very long time. My point was that maybe all the criticism this unit took was a little harsh. It's no doubt not a great unit , infact it's a bit makeshift... but maybe it will end up keeping Luck upright.

I don't recall where I read this, but last year's, Castanzo's rookie season, he was hit with zero holding calls. None.

I don't know how many sacks he gave up, but for a rookie left tackle to not be hit with a holding call and he was also playing with a bad high ankle sprain, well, I'm flat out impressed.

I'm expecting a big year from him. Saw a quote about 10-4 days ago from Pagano saying very nice things about Castanzo. So, I'm feeling very good about him. At worst, he's going to be an above average RT. But likely, a very good LT. I believe he was a 4-year starter at BC. He's got experience.

I like him. I think of him as a strength, and not a weakness.

Do you think maye the OL , sporting three new starters , has a chance to be a little more cohesion when the regular season starts than they did the first series in the first exhibition game ? It's not really a line that has played together a very long time. My point was that maybe all the criticism this unit took was a little harsh. It's no doubt not a great unit , infact it's a bit makeshift... but maybe it will end up keeping Luck upright.

Actually on that right side, Justice and Mcglynn have played together in Philly for a season+(19 games together to be exact) before and that was the year they gave up 49 sacks thats just why I dont see this nice improvement on that right side a likely case.New coaching so who knows but they did have Howard Mudd in Philly and he was the one that taught many of our O Linemen of many years past and he is a very well respected O Line coach maybe even the best in the game, The one that has not played with any of our other O Linemen would be Satele

Actually on that right side, Justice and Mcglynn have played together in Philly for a season+(19 games together to be exact) before and that was the year they gave up 49 sacks thats just why I dont see this nice improvement on that right side a likely case.New coaching so who knows but they did have Howard Mudd in Philly and he was the one that taught many of our O Linemen of many years past and he is a very well respected O Line coach maybe even the best in the game, The one that has not played with any of our other O Linemen would be Satele

Not sure you can carry that correlation out qiute like you have here. Becuase the two Philly guys played togethe once ,IMO, doesn't mean this line is cohesive and game ready. But I'm not a coach or a lineman , so it's just an opinion. As far as getting better going forward , this is a make shift line that will probably look a whole lot different in two years. The best this line is going to be (IMO) is somewhere around the "OK" level. I just hope Grigson is a little more on than you are.

Not sure you can carry that correlation out qiute like you have here. Becuase the two Philly guys played togethe once ,IMO, doesn't mean this line is cohesive and game ready. But I'm not a coach or a lineman , so it's just an opinion. As far as getting better going forward , this is a make shift line that will probably look a whole lot different in two years. The best this line is going to be (IMO) is somewhere around the "OK" level. I just hope Grigson is a little more on than you are.

What I meant by what I said is, Justice and Mcglynn should have some chemistry together because they played together, Now they not have it because I dont believe they played next to each other, Justice played Right Tackle in Philly while I believe Mcglynn played Center but I believe he also played Guard at one point as well

Sorry that I can't remember where I saw it or heard it , but eveidently they have a bit of an excuse for the early bad play. Word (from Costonzo) was that the Rams overloaded and sent more guys than O lineman blocking. He said once they adjusted to this , in his opinion they played a good game. This makes sense as the FRams wanted to pressure Luck early and the protection did get better as the game progressed. So maybe for a "new" offensive line , this was not as bad as we think . First quarter of the 1st pre season game.....

O line takes time to gel by week one things will iron its self out barring injury