Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The new look defense...

Mouthfire

As much as the headlines will be about Andrew Luck.... This is the first time in a loooong time I haven't dreaded the defense taking the field.

In past years, you could count on the vanilla Tampa 2 getting dinked and dunked on all day long. It was disheartening, to say the least. Although it still has some ways to go, this defense already looks tougher and more aggressive.

I'm hoping this spells the end of losing the time of possession battle every week. Again, we still have some ways to go, but returns are highly encouraging so far.

They still got dinked and dunked pretty good.. nearly 70% again.

Hughes looked good. I'll download the game and rewatch it but Mr. Freeney didn't seem to have the impact that he had in the past. It's one game against a 3win team. So there isn't much to say either way.

It's better to be on the winning end of a 38-3 game, but I don't know how much can be taken from one preseason game.

I know it was against the Rams 4th team offense, but CHEE-BOO was all over the place. For being so big, I saw no lagging or laziness. He was credited with two tackles, but was in on a bunch more. And one of those tackles was a shoestring on the QB that should have been a sack because the guy didn't quite get back to the LOS, IMHO. I hope they let Anunoby play in the next game a little earlier to see how he fares against better players. :number1:

That Justin King is the #2 corner he put hisself as the front runner for that spot had a very solid outting today..and Freeman has game at inside linebacker.NT still wide open and Anunoby man handled there 2nd and 3rd stringers he needs to move up and get some time against the ones later in preseason

from what i saw antonino johnson cant play NT. I saw him get pushed around easily. i wouldnt put too much on hughes. both his sacks were blown. one being a blown call when he obliviously jumped and the other was just a missed block. i did like the physically of our defense and a lot of good tackles. pressure was on. i love the creatively of the blitzs. secondary still needs work though

Are the fans here aware we were on the positive side of a 38-3 score?

We scored 38. We gave up 3.

I'm not saying this is the Pittsburgh Steel Curtain or anything like that. But reading some of the posts I'm wondering were we watching the same game??

I confess I did not see every play. Too many distractions in the house. Maybe I missed something(s).

But, I thought we looked physical and tough.... surprisingly quick and relentless to the ball. We went sideline to sideline. I saw few blown coverages. Thought everyone on the front line looked decent to good. Thought the LB's were active. Very pleased with the work from the safeties... and while the corners played softer than I expected, they closed fast and wrapped up well.

All in all, for week 1, color me happy!!

This maybe the first mile of a marathon, but we're competitive.... we're not in last place. Can't ask for much more right now.

I agree 1st unit didn't look great. The D had a hard time stopping the run when Jackson was in, he was picking up 6yds a carry. They second unit looked much better with Hughs, Nevis and Co.

I totally agree. If you think our defense looked good, you need to rewatch the first series. We were saved by a false start penalty. Bradford and Sjax were practically moving the ball at will.

I totally agree. If you think our defense looked good, you need to rewatch the first series. We were saved by a false start penalty. Bradford and Sjax were practically moving the ball at will.

Jackson had like 2 good runs to Mathews side where he got blown off the ball. If Redding were in there, that doesn't happen. Bradford completed a couple dink passes against soft coverage, but after that the defense buckled down. Still stopped them on 4th and 2. On their second series we were without Bethea, Angerer, Redding, Freeney, and Mathis, yet we still stopped them. This defense, while not complete, is still going to make some noise this year. I do hope to find another decent corner when teams start cutting.

Defense gave up 3 points and those points came after a 55 yard pass interference flag. Do you remember our D from previous years? Nuff said.

I won't look at the score and call this unit good. We've always had speed in Indy since DF & RM came in. The key is gap control and lane discipline having bigger stronger able bodies only can help. I'd like to see the tackling improve as it looks like it has thus far. I was encouraged by the Dline play Nevis,Matthews,FM,AJ and others looked good in there first showing in this new defense. If the guys play well up front the D' will look a lot better as the cliche goes "it all starts up front".

I thought the DL in the 3 man front played well. they did what they were supposed to do..they occupied blockers to allow the LB's to roam free and from what I was able to see it looked like they got that done consistently, including AJ. The 3 man front also did a good job of collapsing the pocket on passing plays. I liked the play from Shipley where he had a free run at the QB but the ball had been passed and he slowed up without hitting the QB. that's what he's supposed to do but that's not always what happens, especially with younger, inexperienced players. It was a very smart play.

Anunoby showed pretty good athleticism for such a big guy.

I'm going to rewatch the game tonight when I get home but so far I liked what I saw from the defense. Yes, it was just preseason and yes it was against the rams, and Bradford only played for a short time but still, I liked what I saw in this very early stage...from the front 7 at least. The secondary still needs work but we all knew to be expecting that. lol

I know it was against the Rams 4th team offense, but CHEE-BOO was all over the place. For being so big, I saw no lagging or laziness. He was credited with two tackles, but was in on a bunch more. And one of those tackles was a shoestring on the QB that should have been a sack because the guy didn't quite get back to the LOS, IMHO. I hope they let Anunoby play in the next game a little earlier to see how he fares against better players. :number1:

I saw Anunoby out there, but I didn't pay enough attention to him to say ya or nay. Glad to see he was in on some tackles

did anyone stand out on defense to any of you guys? I wasn't real impressed with the 1st team.

Mario Addison #97 really stood out consistent pass rush on the other side of Hughes. He had quite a few hits on the QB but never hit home for a sack and kept the QB off his spot. And Jarell Freeman stood out as well he read his keys well and quick and packs a punch when meeting RBs in the hole

I'm wondering were we watching the same game??

For me, because it felt like the Colts couldn't get off the field in the first quarter - two long drives which felt very much like I was still watching the Tampa2 "bend but don't break". Bradford didn't do anything special, and penalties / unforced fumble were the primary reasons that St Louis didn't score - and they had a horrible offense last year. It wasn't good.

I FF through most of the second half and don't put much worth in team results after the starters leave. I was certainly encouraged by the Colts offense (other than the pass blocking), but the defense left a lot to be desired.

For me, because it felt like the Colts couldn't get off the field in the first quarter - two long drives which felt very much like I was still watching the Tampa2 "bend but don't break". Bradford didn't do anything special, and penalties / unforced fumble were the primary reasons that St Louis didn't score - and they had a horrible offense last year. It wasn't good.

I FF through most of the second half and don't put much worth in team results after the starters leave. I was certainly encouraged by the Colts offense (other than the pass blocking), but the defense left a lot to be desired.

MAC.....

Appreciate your view.... as I stated in some previous posts/threads, I didn't see the whole game... kept getting pulled away by the Mrs. So my full appreciate of what happened is somewhat limited.

Thanks again....

We scored 38. We gave up 3.

I'm not saying this is the Pittsburgh Steel Curtain or anything like that. But reading some of the posts I'm wondering were we watching the same game??

I confess I did not see every play. Too many distractions in the house. Maybe I missed something(s).

But, I thought we looked physical and tough.... surprisingly quick and relentless to the ball. We went sideline to sideline. I saw few blown coverages. Thought everyone on the front line looked decent to good. Thought the LB's were active. Very pleased with the work from the safeties... and while the corners played softer than I expected, they closed fast and wrapped up well.

All in all, for week 1, color me happy!!

This maybe the first mile of a marathon, but we're competitive.... we're not in last place. Can't ask for much more right now.

I hear ya. We could of won 100-0 and there would still be people whining.

Even the best defense gets caught on the field for a long drive every now and then. It's not always three and out.

I'm not super excited about the final result, because it doesn't mean anything, but I do like the way the team played. I like the energy they came out with, and that the energy stayed high all game long. I like how well the offense clicked, and that Andrew Luck looked like he's equal to the monumental task he's undertaking.

And, all things considered, we were just as bad as the Rams were last season. Two 2-14 teams that had a bunch of question marks coming into that game. Their fans are rationalizing taking a 35 point beating to a team that "experts" say is going to have the #1 pick in next year's draft. Our team played well. It could have been us rationalizing a loss to a bad team by saying "it's only preseason." I much prefer us being on this side of the table.