Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts night practice

HtownColt

My point was Im not putting Avery as the slot receiver, if he is in the slot he wont make it through he whole season, As to Kris getting cut 3 times, now that I didnt know, thats news to me, does it have to be Kris in the slot? Of course not, but he is more apt to be able to handle the beating then Avery, doesnt have to be Kris, but I have seen plenty of practice now, and he continues to impress,

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not hearing anything on Avery? If this dude is constantly nursing nagging boo boo's during camp I would not be surprised at all to see him cut. And someone out of nowhere zooming in and making he team.

The Gonzo, Addai Sanders days are over.... FINALLY.... no dead weight allowed.

I'm sorry you're not hearing anything on Avery. But there was plenty positive about him for the entire camp until he sustained a deep thigh bruise a day or two ago. Why everyone suddenly turned on a guy over a thigh bruise is anyone's guess....

But I guess after a 2-14 season, patience is not exactly a virtue around here.... Geesh!

There is no reason to cut Avery at this point. Way too much upside, not nearly enough downside --- yet.

Just one fan's view....

Are you talking about the same Kris Adams that got cut from 3 practice squad teams in a year?? Yea I'll take Avery over that, it's not even close.

Avery is a very dangerous player to dabble with. I don't know his concoct... hopefully it;s not a lot ..

And Avery done caught like 6 of those bombs against the first team secondary. He even caught a bomb td on the play where he bruised his thigh.

YOU are talking about the COLTS first team secondary..?? RiGHT?

I'm sorry you're not hearing anything on Avery. But there was plenty positive about him for the entire camp until he sustained a deep thigh bruise a day or two ago. Why everyone suddenly turned on a guy over a thigh bruise is anyone's guess....

But I guess after a 2-14 season, patience is not exactly a virtue around here.... Geesh!

There is no reason to cut Avery at this point. Way too much upside, not nearly enough downside --- yet.

Just one fan's view....

Not turning on dude one bit... However, I find it Ironic that Indy "invests" in the type of "history" that has KILLED this team the last few years.

Avery wont play a full season for Indy... period. In fac I would be shocked if he made the roster.

It's rebuild.. and he is mulch...

I've been high on Adams since the start of camp, but no way is he a starter. If the ball distribution and reliability of players in camp match up with the roster expect Wayne, Collie, Avery to start. (and if Avery is injured I then I'd guess Brazill). In camp I've seen Adams drop more passes than anyone else, but he has a pretty raw athleticism that really shines on some plays. He also has a height advantage over his fellow receivers standing 3 inches taller than the next tallest receiver. I don't think he'll make the roster unless we go with a six man group, and even then I think it's far from a done deal that he'd beat out Ross or Sambrano. (no offense to Fayson, Cosby, or Whalen. lol)

Bulger got sacked a combined total of 52 times in those two seasons (makes me wonder how David Carr is still alive, I bet he could suite that entire O Line for neglect for neglecting to protect him at the very least heck maybe a few more hits and his family may have been able to press murder charges on that O Line), but during those two years Avery had 100 catches for 1263 yards for 12.6 yards a catch that. 12.6 yards a catch for a deep threat isn't that good, Bulger wasnt a great Quarterback but he wasnt bad, Not trying to downplay Avery, but his real issue to me is can he stay healthy

I have concerns about Avery being an injury problem, but we should be realistic about his stats.

The 2 seasons you note were his rookie and sophomore seasons. In that light, his stats showed tons of promise, regardless of QB. I'm not in a place to do the research right now, but I'd bet his stats stack up favorably with those of some of the all time greats in their first seasons. "Experts" often site a WR's 3rd season as prime breakout time, and I recall high expectations for Avery before his injuries.

I have high hopes for his abilities again now, but have little confidence he'll stay healthy enough to showcase them for the whole season. If he does, the Cots landed a HUGE bargain, IMO.

I'm not hearing anything on Avery? If this dude is constantly nursing nagging boo boo's during camp I would not be surprised at all to see him cut. And someone out of nowhere zooming in and making he team.

The Gonzo, Addai Sanders days are over.... FINALLY.... no dead weight allowed.

All I heard about Avery is that he suffered a deep thigh bruise, nothing major but no need to send him out and risk making it worse against the Rams. He was at practice last night helping during the individual receivers portion. I didn't notice any sort of a limp or anything.

Anyone going to take a crack at making up the final 53 man roster?

I would, but I don't know how useful it will be. I think we'll pick up camp casualties that would otherwise be good additions to the team. We've got first claim on waivers, so if a quality O-lineman or CB comes up, I think we'll be grabbing them. I might make one for the heck of it though. How many mock drafts did we do? haha.

BTW, there's a really good write up on the practice over at StampedeBlue. It's not by Brad Wells, so it's doesnt read like a ten year old wrote it.

http://www.stampedeb...ights#storyjump

Nice link, thanks.

I agree with most everything except this "Chuck Pagano takes a real hands-on approach to coaching. Was working specifically with different players and positions tonight (defensive, I may add). Pagano brings an added energy to this team, and is a players' coach, as we have heard before."

While Defense is his specialty I watched him go to pretty much every part of the field when they were conducting the positional workouts. He observed and talked to the offensive players as well. I don't want it to be seen as he only spends time with the defense. He's very much involved during special teams too. I have loved the fact that Pagano has his hands in every part of this team. I doubt there is very much that happens that goes unnoticed by this man. A drastic change and improvement from Caldwell last year who just stood at mid field with his arms crossed looking like he was on another planet.

Avery has a history... and isn't that the exact same song and dance we sang with Mel, Gonzo, Joe, and Bob?

IF dude is not on the field more times than not .... dead weight.

Didn't he just have one injury, the torn ACL, that he missed a full season? He was healthy last year with the Titans, just didn't see the field.

Didn't he just have one injury, the torn ACL, that he missed a full season? He was healthy last year with the Titans, just didn't see the field.

Which tells us ... what? It's not exactly like the Titans had decent starting WRs. So either Avery was still injured or he's just not that good. I think he was still recovering.

My point was Im not putting Avery as the slot receiver, if he is in the slot he wont make it through he whole season, As to Kris getting cut 3 times, now that I didnt know, thats news to me, does it have to be Kris in the slot? Of course not, but he is more apt to be able to handle the beating then Avery, doesnt have to be Kris, but I have seen plenty of practice now, and he continues to impress,

It was Albert Breer who said Avery is taking on the Mike Wallace role.

"Avery's still just 28 and will get the first crack at the "Mike Wallace" role in Arians' offense. "

Now mike Wallace was all over the the field but mostly on the outside. I don't know where you got Avery as this slot receiver from.

http://m.nfl.com/news/09000d5d82afcbe8/

Not turning on dude one bit... However, I find it Ironic that Indy "invests" in the type of "history" that has KILLED this team the last few years.

Avery wont play a full season for Indy... period. In fac I would be shocked if he made the roster.

I'm not sure what his 'history' is.... except that to my knowledge, he has had one injury. (this may not be true, but it's all I know) It was a devastating one. And it took a while to get back to full strength. I'm not sure if he was 100% with Tennessee last year. I don't know why he wasn't productive with them.

But given that we signed him, that he's said to be very fast for us, that his latest injury is a thigh injury, I'm fine with the guy.

He may not stay healthy enough to play 16 games for us. That won't make him less in my eyes. Many, many NFL players don't play 16 games. It's the N-F-L. And they play a brutal game. The players are bigger, faster, and stronger than anyone can possibly believe. Unless a fan has stood on a sideline of an NFL game it's really, really hard to capture just how violent the game is.

So, if Avery can be productive for us in the games he plays -- great. That's my hope and/or expectation for him.

By the way, Browns 1st draft pick, Trent Richardson already has a sore knee. He's missing Cleveland's first pre-season game. This happens all the time on every NFL team in every game of every season. It happens. What can I tell you? Stuff happens.

Hope that clarifies....

I would say we should try andstick with Avery for right now. Lets see how he does when his brusing heals, give him some real game action and if he does end up being just an injury bug than let him go and put one of the youngsters in there and Im not opposed to maybe keeping Adams around o compete for a spot or at least provide depth behind one of the other guys if they get put into a spot. Im really anxious to se Brazil and Hilton in action along with out TEs, pretty much everybody actually. From everything I read The Offense is bulding a good chemistry pretty quick. SO EXCITED!!!!!!

It seems everyone wants to ignore this. So, a couple rookie QBs and rookie WR are scoring at will against our D.

And everyone feels good about this? ....okay Mr. Marshall, you have a record to break....

there are also reports of our secondary getting the best of our offense. its not just one side beating on the other

Contrary to popular opinion, Donnie Avery has only been hurt once in his career, and that was two years ago. He's been called brittle, injury-plagued, etc., and there's really no basis for any of that. His latest setback at camp is concerning, as it would be for anyone, but he's not this player he's being painted as. There's only been one injury that anyone can point to so far.

I don't know what he's going to be able to do for us, although I hope he does something. His speed is a huge asset if he's healthy. But there's no investment to speak of; he got a one year, vet minimum contract, with a $50k signing bonus. We drafted two receivers and two tight ends, to go along with the two veteran receivers we already have. We didn't spend a draft pick on him or give anything up in a trade. We're not hanging the hopes of our season on him. This is a low-risk, high-reward situation. If -- IF -- he can stay healthy, great, we have another vet receiver who can be a weapon. If not, hasta. It's not a big deal.

I would, but I don't know how useful it will be. I think we'll pick up camp casualties that would otherwise be good additions to the team. We've got first claim on waivers, so if a quality O-lineman or CB comes up, I think we'll be grabbing them. I might make one for the heck of it though. How many mock drafts did we do? haha.

I did one a few days before camp started. Since then, we've IR'd two of my final 53, and traded another. Such is life.

I'm going to take another stab at it after the second preseason game. Then another after the last preseason game.

Contrary to popular opinion, Donnie Avery has only been hurt once in his career, and that was two years ago. He's been called brittle, injury-plagued, etc., and there's really no basis for any of that. His latest setback at camp is concerning, as it would be for anyone, but he's not this player he's being painted as. There's only been one injury that anyone can point to so far.

I don't know what he's going to be able to do for us, although I hope he does something. His speed is a huge asset if he's healthy. But there's no investment to speak of; he got a one year, vet minimum contract, with a $50k signing bonus. We drafted two receivers and two tight ends, to go along with the two veteran receivers we already have. We didn't spend a draft pick on him or give anything up in a trade. We're not hanging the hopes of our season on him. This is a low-risk, high-reward situation. If -- IF -- he can stay healthy, great, we have another vet receiver who can be a weapon. If not, hasta. It's not a big deal.

I dont think he is injury prone but I dont think its so wise putting him in the slot if that comes to pass at all

I dont think he is injury prone but I dont think its so wise putting him in the slot if that comes to pass at all

Has he been used in the slot at all during camp? I haven't heard anything about that, and have only heard a couple of people even suggest that he should be the slot receiver.

I don't think he's slot receiver material, but that has nothing to do with his injury history or supposed frailty.

Has he been used in the slot at all during camp? I haven't heard anything about that, and have only heard a couple of people even suggest that he should be the slot receiver.

I don't think he's slot receiver material, but that has nothing to do with his injury history or supposed frailty.

He doesnt have the size for it to go over the middle, But it looked like he was used a fair amount in the slot but unfortunately not so easy to see so great when you ahve people constantly walking in front of you who cant sit still

He doesnt have the size for it to go over the middle, But it looked like he was used a fair amount in the slot but unfortunately not so easy to see so great when you ahve people constantly walking in front of you who cant sit still

I'll keep an eye out for any report of him being used in the slot. I don't think his size is the issue; there are plenty of smallish slot receivers (Welker immediately coming to mind). I don't think he's a savvy enough route runner, nor do I think he has dependable enough hands.

I heard it was a Good Practice. Chism brought his Son out there too after the Practice. I think it was Chism... if I remember right

Mathis' wife and twin baby boys were there too, he is a very proud father you could tell. He was having a good time running around the field with his kids. It was an awesome sight. It's nice to see guys who do extraordinary things on the field be as normal as the next guy.

Mathis' wife and twin baby boys were there too, he is a very proud father you could tell. He was having a good time running around the field with his kids. It was an awesome sight. It's nice to see guys who do extraordinary things on the field be as normal as the next guy.

Yeah, Mathis has ALWAYS been a Great Father Figure. Definitely someone people could look up too

Maybe Kris Adams will be a possible red zone target. Being 6'2 or 6'3 just throw it up where only he can snag it.

Apparently he's been good in practice. I hust wonder if we'll carry 6 WRs. You'd think Wayne, Collie, Avery, Hilton, and Brazill make the team. Sambrano and Adams may be next in line.

Apparently he's been good in practice. I hust wonder if we'll carry 6 WRs. You'd think Wayne, Collie, Avery, Hilton, and Brazill make the team. Sambrano and Adams may be next in line.

Ya, I wonder if that's too many spots taken up. God forbid someone gets hurt, but sounds like Adams would be next up. I've heard next to nothing on Sambrano.

Ya, I wonder if that's too many spots taken up. God forbid someone gets hurt, but sounds like Adams would be next up. I've heard next to nothing on Sambrano.

Right. They were "gushing" over Sambrano in the mini. Now they're gushing over Brazil. I guess Adams caught a couple of his big ones against 2nd string DBs. We'll know soon enough if they have the goods in a real game.

We shouldnt expect much from them, other than STs though. When you think about it, can you think of any late round (4th or later) rookie WR who had an impact the last few years? Marques Colston and ....?

Personally I would go with

1.Wayne

2.Collie

3.Kris Adams

4.T.Y. Hilton

5.Brazill

Im pretty sure we have no need for a 6th and maybe not even a 5th when we can just use Fleener or Allen or heck even both and I am not counting on Avery staying healthy the full season

Wow avery is off your depth chart completely for a thigh bruise. Hey Cory Redding hurt his elbow today so is he off your depth chart to do to health concerns as well?

Wow avery is off your depth chart completely for a thigh bruise. Hey Cory Redding hurt his elbow today so is he off your depth chart to do to health concerns as well?

He has had a lack of production and from the sounds of it he will be our #3 receiver (at least thats what is being thrown around anyway) and he has inconsistent hands at best and he wont be able to take a beating in my opinion that a slot receiver takes, Hes already out with a thigh bruise. I would rather put someone in the slot who is bigger who has also showed promise at camp, I wouldnt mind Brazill in the slot either