Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Let's Talk Rams!

Smonroe

I don't think we could have asked for a better team for our first preseason game. They have some decent players, but their first team isn't going to destroy us on both sides of the ball (I hope).

What matchups are you looking forward to seeing. Luck against a D featuring Long, Laurinaitis, Finnegan, Jenkins, etal? Can we move the ball against a team with pretty weak OLBs?

I can tell you that their fans think their D will own our Offense.

How about our D against Bradford, and probably a brief appearance by Jackson? Our DBs against a pretty weak (or at least inexperienced) group of WRs?

Thoughts?

We match up very well with the Rams. They have a weak-ish secondary, we have an offense that will throw the ball a lot. They have a weak passing game, we have a weak secondary. They feature a run game lead by a guy with too many miles, and IMO our front 7 is pretty good. I'm excited that we don't have to play the 49ers or something.

Outside of the first 2-3 series there likely isn't a lot to accurately speculate about without knowing how each team will choose to substitute. Given that each team is playing an unproven young quarterback, the offensive units should spend more time on the field than in a normal opening preseason game, but that doesn't mean that they will.

Ok, I'm ready now. Got my Apple Juice with me, let's Talk some Rams!!

Okay first off, I have too Agree with you that we couldn't have asked for a better team to go up against 1st game. I hope to see Luck come out with a Good Game, may have a Slow start at 1st with 1st Game Jitters etc. ... but I'm sure he'll get on Track.I hope we ESTABLISH the Run Early to see what we're working with in the backfield. The 1st Kickoff (If we get the ball), I'll be on the Edge of my Seat with our NEW System & Returners. Can't wait to see how Luck and the Offense do together for their 1st outing.

Oh, and don't forget about the Finnegan/Wayne Reunion!

Defense: I want to see Intensity (Not too much to where we make a bunch of mistakes), but the Smart & Controlled Intensity. I want EVERYONE Flying to the Ball. I want to see Teamwork, not just one person trying to outshine others. Like if Redding draws a Double-Team for Moala or whoever they start opposite of him, I don't want Redding getting upset. This is a TEAM Game. That's what the 3-4 is all about. Do things that setup big plays. I want to see our Front 7 CAUSE CHAOS the Entire Game. I want to see who our #2 CB & Nickel CB will be. How the Secondary works together to Shut Sam Bradford down. I can't wait to see how Bethea adjusts to his NEW Role being pretty much the "Captain" of the Secondary. But Overall, I just want to see everyone having Fun & Enjoying themselves. Not trying to "Over-Do" anything

Outside of the first 2-3 series there likely isn't a lot to accurately speculate about without knowing how each team will choose to substitute. Given that each team is playing an unproven young quarterback, the offensive units should spend more time on the field than in a normal opening preseason game, but that doesn't mean that they will.

Another point I wanted to get at, but it may need it's own thread. We know that in the past regime preseason games were treated as situational practices, if you know what I mean. There was never any game planning. We really didn't care who our opponent was or what they were doing. We were more interested in working on plays or seeing how players reacted in certain situations.

Obviously this won't be the case. We're learning on both sides of the ball. Just about every potential starter will get a lot more PT. And a lot of jobs are up for grabs. More to add, but I don't want to get too long winded.

We match up very well with the Rams. They have a weak-ish secondary, we have an offense that will throw the ball a lot. They have a weak passing game, we have a weak secondary. They feature a run game lead by a guy with too many miles, and IMO our front 7 is pretty good. I'm excited that we don't have to play the 49ers or something.

Now that I think about it, how long has Steven Jackson been in the NFL? And I'm sure he does have MAJOR Mileage. He's the MJD of the Rams

Another point I wanted to get at, but it may need it's own thread. We know that in the past regime preseason games were treated as situational practices, if you know what I mean. There was never any game planning. We really didn't care who our opponent was or what they were doing. We were more interested in working on plays or seeing how players reacted in certain situations.

Obviously this won't be the case. We're learning on both sides of the ball. Just about every potential starter will get a lot more PT. And a lot of jobs are up for grabs. More to add, but I don't want to get too long winded.

The lack of game planning is pretty much league wide. I'd say not many coaches outside of Belichick has much of a game plan.

I think that the team should treat these games more like real games, so that the Bears game is less like a debut than it could be. That goes for both sides of the ball and rookies like Luck and the Rookend tightends and Mathis & Freeney and the rest of the team that are installing a new O and a new D. The drawback to that is it gives the Bears and the early schedule a bit more film on each side of the ball.

I'd say treat it more like a real game and let the starters play longer than they normally would, and deal more with the 2nd-teamers and fringe players in practice.

Now that I think about it, how long has Steven Jackson been in the NFL? And I'm sure he does have MAJOR Mileage. He's the MJD of the Rams

This is his 9th season, and he has over 2,100 carries. That's 2 more years than MJD and more than 600 more carries.

The lack of game planning is pretty much league wide. I'd say not many coaches outside of Belichick has much of a game plan.

I think that the team should treat these games more like real games, so that the Bears game is less like a debut than it could be. That goes for both sides of the ball and rookies like Luck and the Rookend tightends and Mathis & Freeney and the rest of the team that are installing a new O and a new D. The drawback to that is it gives the Bears and the early schedule a bit more film on each side of the ball.

I'd say treat it more like a real game and let the starters play longer than they normally would, and deal more with the 2nd-teamers and fringe players in practice.

You don't that maybe we'll have a certain "Set" of plays the Coaches will use throughout the Pre-Season. Then use all of our "Shazaam" (Ex: Allen lining up at FB Etc.) Plays in the Regular Season? lol

We sucked in the preseason because Peyton didn't play, and we were a bad team without him.

This is his 9th season, and he has over 2,100 carries. That's 2 more years than MJD and more than 600 more carries.

I hate to see RB's like him go down like that. They're GREAT Players, but when your team has no WR's..... you become the "Work Horse" of the Team. Majority of the Plays are Designed for you. So you end up leaving the NFL Early, or get Hurt more Often. smh

FINALLY!!! :clap: Someone posted this Topic!! I've been Itching to talk about this Game!!! :excited: Okay, let me Catch my Breath & Calm Down :banana: ...then I'll give my Input in one moment

I am perplexed by a few things here. # 1, this preseason games is such an exciting topic that you had to make a pre-post to let everyone know you'd be back with more n depth analysis? # 2, if you were so amped to discuss the game, why not start your own thread?

The one thing I noticed on this game yesterday, is my local paper, the LA Times, carries odds of all games in the back of the sports section.

And for our game with the Rams.... it's listed as a pick 'em.

WE ARE NOT THE UNDERDOG!!!!!!

We had better enjoy that while we can!

otherwise, all I hope for is.... 1. as few injuries as possible, and none of them serious.... 2. Luck plays two full quarters with the the first team. Second and Third team can play all of the 2nd half. 3. I think their offense could be better than most here expect... so I'm hopeful our defense shows well.

Beyond that.... If I'm an owner, I want my players to get the needed reps.... and I want as few injuries as possible.... and I'd be fine with a 2-2 record. I don't much care about 4-0, or 0-4. 2-2 and good health and I'll take my chances any time...

I am perplexed by a few things here. # 1, this preseason games is such an exciting topic that you had to make a pre-post to let everyone know you'd be back with more n depth analysis? # 2, if you were so amped to discuss the game, why not start your own thread?

1. Yep

2. No One really "Responds" to my Postings. So I figured eventually, a more "Veteran or Seasoned" member would Post it. They have more, I guess you could Seniority over me so people will Respond to them more than they would someone who's only been on for 3 months. But that's just my Opinion on it. I could be Wrong, but hey things happen

Wet-Blanket-Award.jpg

J/K btw.......

On topic; Jackson will provide a great test for our defense. IMO, he is the most underrated RB in the league. One of the few RB's that truly deserves the workhorse title.

The one thing I noticed on this game yesterday, is my local paper, the LA Times, carries odds of all games in the back of the sports section.

otherwise, all I hope for is.... 1. as few injuries as possible, and none of them serious.... 2. Luck plays two full quarters with the the first team. Second and Third team can play all of the 2nd half. 3. I think their offense could be better than most here expect... so I'm hopeful our defense shows well.

Beyond that.... If I'm an owner, I want my players to get the needed reps.... and I want as few injuries as possible.... and I'd be fine with a 2-2 record. I don't much care about 4-0, or 0-4. 2-2 and good health and I'll take my chances any time...

My Prediction (As I posted in a Statues) is 3-1 or 2-2. Nothing More, Nothing Less lol. I see the Steelers & Bengals as the ONLY Teams that will probably Beat us.

I can't imagine how anyone could bet on a preseason game, much less how they can come up with a point spread.

I totally agree with your points. Needed reps, no injuries, figure out who starts and makes the team. Wins/Losses are meaningless.

I'm interested to see Luck (of course), how the O-line performs, and how Freeney and Mathis do standing up.

I know it's only practice so far and Freeney will do some standing up this season, but most of the time I've seen him during camp (I've only missed 2 days) he's had a hand down. Mathis on the other hand has been standing the whole time.

I know it's only practice so far and Freeney will do some standing up this season, but most of the time I've seen him during camp (I've only missed 2 days) he's had a hand down. Mathis on the other hand has been standing the whole time.

Really? So when Freeney has his Hands Down, who was the 4th Standing LB?

I think it is a good match up for us. I look at the Rams and think they are definately getting better. I don't have a lot of respect for their receivers yet and feel bad for Bradford with them and that pitiful OL. This is about as evenly matched a pre-season game I think you can get. Both rebuilding with good young qbs and defensive minded coaches.

Really? So when Freeney has his Hands Down, who was the 4th Standing LB?

We are playing a hybrid 3-4/4-3. We won't always have 4 LBs. In fact we may not even have 3 sometimes or even 2. Would not be surprised to see both Freeney and Mathis with their hand down on a few 3rd and longs with just Angerer in the middle.

You guys are so lucky (no pun intended) to see practice. So I assume you're talking nickle at that point, or at least hybrid 4-3? I know most teams want to get into that formation asap since it's such a passing league.

Man, I can't wait to see how this plays out in a game.

You guys are so lucky (no pun intended) to see practice. So I assume you're talking nickle at that point, or at least hybrid 4-3? I know most teams want to get into that formation asap since it's such a passing league.

Man, I can't wait to see how this plays out in a game.

No they really haven't done any type of nickle packages that I've noticed. It's pretty much been a standard 3-4 or 4-3. The first string D has been going against the second string O most of the time. It's been Redding, Nevis, Moala, Freeney, Angerer, Conner, Mathis, Powers, Vaughn, Bethea, and Zbikowski taking most of the first team snaps.

1. Yep

2. No One really "Responds" to my Postings. So I figured eventually, a more "Veteran or Seasoned" member would Post it. They have more, I guess you could Seniority over me so people will Respond to them more than they would someone who's only been on for 3 months. But that's just my Opinion on it. I could be Wrong, but hey things happen

I like your postings. I dont think they carry any less seniority in my eyes.

I think everyone should be prepared to see Luck play 3 qtrs since he did miss the OTA's due to his classes he had to finish. but the one game im looking forward to is the 3rd game against the skins. RG3 vs Andrew Luck.

He positively will not play 3 quarters against the Rams. Will he play more than starters usually do in the 1st preseason game - probably. But that wil not be anywhere close to 3 full quarters.

Yeah but those are some ridiculous miles. That Steven guy is darn good. I could only imagine him on the Colts, sheesh brutal. One of the better RBs I've seen in a long time but just on the wrong team.

He positively will not play 3 quarters against the Rams. Will he play more than starters usually do in the 1st preseason game - probably. But that wil not be anywhere close to 3 full quarters.

Okay Skinnz, that sounds like a boutique bet. I'd take Luck and 2 1/2 Qs for his PT if it was with odds.

What are you putting up?

I like your postings. I dont think they carry any less seniority in my eyes.

Well Thanks. But that was just how I viewed it. Like if someone like Gavin or 21isSuperman Posted something, I figured it would be viewed more than something that Myself or NewColtsFan Posted. But like I said, if I'm Wrong then I'm not ashamed to admit it.

No they really haven't done any type of nickle packages that I've noticed. It's pretty much been a standard 3-4 or 4-3. The first string D has been going against the second string O most of the time. It's been Redding, Nevis, Moala, Freeney, Angerer, Conner, Mathis, Powers, Vaughn, Bethea, and Zbikowski taking most of the first team snaps.

Good to know. This splash of reality may have already been posted, I think it tells us a lot of what we might expect when we face a team with a good passing game. It's from Nate Dunlevy, who I respect as a writer:

"The corners on this team are bad. Powers repeatedly makes outstanding plays, but his teammates too often come up empty. It looked today like there were several opportunities for interceptions that turned into head-scratching completions.

On multiple fourth-down plays in the red-zone drills, Colts quarterbacks completed long balls for touchdowns that simply had no business being complete. Luck found Wayne on one for a huge play that made you wonder who was supposed to be doing the coverage."

For those of you who've been to camp, do you tend to agree?