Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manti Teo = Future defensive leader for Colts

If we do a little better than analysts think and say we go 7-9 that puts us in the range to draft ILB Manti Teo to play alongside Angerer and give us a very good pair of ILBs.

I hope we go mostly defense in this next draft, and unless we are in position to get a guy like Star Lotulelei, I want us to get this guy. If we are drafting top 7 we could trade down a little and still probably get him.

I just dont know if Im sold completely on David Amerson yet, and Teo would bring that toughness that Pagano likes on his defense. Plus the dude is 6-2 255 pounds so he would be our thumper LB.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are in that range, My top two choices would be Te'o or Keenan Allen.

I wouldnt mind Keenan Allen either but I do like Teo over him as well. Our LBs would be beastly with Teo/Angerer in the middle, and Mathis/and either Freeney or Hughes on the other side for 2013.

If we do a little better than analysts think and say we go 7-9 that puts us in the range to draft ILB Manti Teo to play alongside Angerer and give us a very good pair of ILBs.

I hope we go mostly defense in this next draft, and unless we are in position to get a guy like Star Lotulelei, I want us to get this guy. If we are drafting top 7 we could trade down a little and still probably get him.

I just dont know if Im sold completely on David Amerson yet, and Teo would bring that toughness that Pagano likes on his defense. Plus the dude is 6-2 255 pounds so he would be our thumper LB.

I like the idea of Teo, My problem with him is, he gets caught in "debris" in other words, other bodies, and he has a hard time getting separation when he is blocked plus we have Angerer and Connor, I think Jarvis Jones, Devin Taylor, David Amerson would all be the better pick if we indeed go high, I think 7-9 is to high for Teo

I wouldnt mind Keenan Allen either but I do like Teo over him as well. Our LBs would be beastly with Teo/Angerer in the middle, and Mathis/and either Freeney or Hughes on the other side for 2013.

Just imagine if Hughes were a competent starter.

I like the idea of Teo, My problem with him is, he gets caught in "debris" in other words, other bodies, and he has a hard time getting separation when he is blocked plus we have Angerer and Connor, I think Jarvis Jones, Devin Taylor, David Amerson would all be the better pick if we indeed go high, I think 7-9 is to high for Teo

Lets wait to draft a DE/OLB that early until we see what Hughes does this year. He could surprise since he fits better as a DE/OLB.

Lets wait to draft a DE/OLB that early until we see what Hughes does this year. He could surprise since he fits better as a DE/OLB.

Possible but I still think Connor and Angerer will do good, I wasnt gonna go linebacker in the 1st anyway though

He said 7-9 wins. That would put us in the 12 to 18 range.

Why would arguably our biggest need OLB be third on the priority list? if you want the best pass rushers out their in the draft you draft them early

OLB is not our biggest need, and even if Freeney goes after the season it's not our biggest need. Mathis is going to be there for a long time. That's one.

Secondly, they have great depth at the position. They just drafted Fugger, who seems to be a good fit in the defense, and they have Hughes, who can be a hit or miss in this defense.

I just think that with Mathis already there, why spend a top 10 pick on Montgomery (Jones is going outside the top 4). CB is a position of need, and I really don't have to explain that. As for WR, I just think it's just too good to pass up on Woods or Allen who can be a cornerstone on this team for 10+ years. Plus, Collie is flexible and Wayne only has a few years left. Hilton is going to be good, but nothing great. Pair Andrew Luck with his targets of the future.

OLB is not our biggest need, and even if Freeney goes after the season it's not our biggest need. Mathis is going to be there for a long time. That's one.

Secondly, they have great depth at the position. They just drafted Fugger, who seems to be a good fit in the defense, and they have Hughes, who can be a hit or miss in this defense.

I just think that with Mathis already there, why spend a top 10 pick on Montgomery (Jones is going outside the top 4). CB is a position of need, and I really don't have to explain that. As for WR, I just think it's just too good to pass up on Woods or Allen who can be a cornerstone on this team for 10+ years. Plus, Collie is flexible and Wayne only has a few years left. Hilton is going to be good, but nothing great. Pair Andrew Luck with his targets of the future.

1.3 years at this point isnt long

2. Freeney and Mathis have always been a team which undoubtedly helped 1 if not both of there stats

3..Lets say we have Mathis long term, well then then we will only have 1 pass rusher if Freeney leaves

4.Im not debating Corner obviously, If Amerson is there when we pick, Im taking him

5.How is Fugger a good fit? he hasn't played a down yet

6.Obviously we werent to concerned about wide receiver because we didnt get any till late, which tells me they are satisfied in putting off getting a top wide receiver, they had chances to do that in this past draft.

I always see Te'o going in the 20's so he would be good option in a trade down scenario, if ILB is a need. I think Angerer and Connor have potential of being a very good ILB tandem in the 3-4.

1.3 years at this point isnt long

2. Freeney and Mathis have always been a team which undoubtedly helped 1 if not both of there stats

3..Lets say we have Mathis long term, well then then we will only have 1 pass rusher if Freeney leaves

4.Im not debating Corner obviously, If Amerson is there when we pick, Im taking him

5.How is Fugger a good fit? he hasn't played a down yet

6.Obviously we werent to concerned about wide receiver because we didnt get any till late, which tells me they are satisfied in putting off getting a top wide receiver, they had chances to do that in this past draft.

Fugger knows how to play 3-4.

After next season, Reggie will only have 2 years left in his contract and probably in his career. That's the time to look for a replacement, and none of the guys on this team right now are good enough to replace him and be a #1.

For what little it's worth.....

But as a Stanford fan who lives in Los Angeles, I follow all of the Pac-12....

And as much as I like guys like Woods and Allen, and the kid at WSU (whose name escapes me as I write this) I don't think any of them (as of today) merit a pick in the top 5... and I'm not sure -- yet -- if they merit a pick in the top 10. Maybe.

If I had to pick one for a spot in the top 10, it would be Woods. Allen, to me, is just not that explosive. And Woods, as terrific as he is, just does not average that many yards per catch. I can't figure out why, but he doesn't. If you're not getting that many yards per catch in college, tough to see that number jumping up significantly in the pros. Woods already plays with lots of other great talents on offense, so he's got a lot of built-in advantages. I just want to see more.

And Allen... well, here's the most darning thing I can say about him... A Stanford defense filled with OK DB's contained him. You saw what Blackmon did to us in the Fiesta Bowl. Allen hasn't done that to us yet. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a very good QB. That's possible. But I want to see more from him too before I put him as a top-10 pick.

Honestly, I don't see a single receiver in college this year that reminds me of an AJ Green or Julio Jones. None.

So, safe to say no one reminds me of Calvin or Andre Johnson or Larry FitzGerald.

Guys may rate a 1st round grade.... but top-10? I'm just not there yet. I may be by next April, but not yet.

For what little it's worth.....

But as a Stanford fan who lives in Los Angeles, I follow all of the Pac-12....

And as much as I like guys like Woods and Allen, and the kid at WSU (whose name escapes me as I write this) I don't think any of them (as of today) merit a pick in the top 5... and I'm not sure -- yet -- if they merit a pick in the top 10. Maybe.

If I had to pick one for a spot in the top 10, it would be Woods. Allen, to me, is just not that explosive. And Woods, as terrific as he is, just does not average that many yards per catch. I can't figure out why, but he doesn't. If you're not getting that many yards per catch in college, tough to see that number jumping up significantly in the pros. Woods already plays with lots of other great talents on offense, so he's got a lot of built-in advantages. I just want to see more.

And Allen... well, here's the most darning thing I can say about him... A Stanford defense filled with OK DB's contained him. You saw what Blackmon did to us in the Fiesta Bowl. Allen hasn't done that to us yet. Maybe it's because he doesn't have a very good QB. That's possible. But I want to see more from him too before I put him as a top-10 pick.

Honestly, I don't see a single receiver in college this year that reminds me of an AJ Green or Julio Jones. None.

So, safe to say no one reminds me of Calvin or Andre Johnson or Larry FitzGerald.

Guys may rate a 1st round grade.... but top-10? I'm just not there yet. I may be by next April, but not yet.

The guy was talking about 7-9 wins, not a pick in the 7-9 range. With 7-9 wins we would have around #12-17 draft pick. Last year the highest 7-9 team had pick #11, but thats because many teams finished 8-8

The guy was talking about 7-9 wins, not a pick in the 7-9 range. With 7-9 wins we would have around #12-17 draft pick. Last year the highest 7-9 team had pick #11, but thats because many teams finished 8-8

Sorry for any confusion, but nothing in my post was referring to 7-9 wins. My post was independent of others. I didn't respond to anyone specifically, I posted from the bottom. I was making my own observations for what little they may or may not be worth.

Overall... I just don't see a WR worthy of a high pick. I see us with 5-7 wins and the potential to be drafting somewhere between 6-12. My preference is for a premium pass rusher first, and a cornerback 2nd. But I could be persuaded otherwise.

Sorry for any confusion, but nothing in my post was referring to 7-9 wins. My post was independent of others. I didn't respond to anyone specifically, I posted from the bottom. I was making my own observations for what little they may or may not be worth.

Overall... I just don't see a WR worthy of a high pick. I see us with 5-7 wins and the potential to be drafting somewhere between 6-12. My preference is for a premium pass rusher first, and a cornerback 2nd. But I could be persuaded otherwise.

Wait until a few weeks into the season, you'll be very much persuaded then :)

I think I caused a bit confusion. I never said you were referring to 7-9 wins. I just though you were speaking about the possibility if we were to draft Te'o or Allen in the top 10, which wasn't the topic. We were talking about the possibility of drafting them in the 12-17 draft pick range, which which would be around the draft position we get if we finish between 7-9 wins.

I think I caused a bit confusion. I never said you were referring to 7-9 wins. I just though you were speaking about the possibility if we were to draft Te'o or Allen in the top 10, which wasn't the topic. We were talking about the possibility of drafting them in the 12-17 draft pick range, which which would be around the draft position we get if we finish between 7-9 wins.

Sorry.... I see your point now.

As much as I love Teo... (he almost went to Stanford!) I'm not in favor of using a #1 pick on an ILB. The new era of the NFL has rendered the position less important. We can find a quality ILB lower in the draft. And with some exceptions, that's my view as well on most WR's. You can find a quality one after the 1st round. Clearly there are exceptions to the rule. I just want to se the senior, or final year for some of these kids before deciding how much I do, or don't, love them.

So, as to Allen, I still want to see more.

Who knows, maybe after this season, we decide we want a quality OT? If we can't find one in Free Agency, then perhaps we take one in the draft. I hope that's not the case. But there is just so much we do not know now. Lots of moving parts.

I love the draft and player personnel decisions, but it's just so early now. Speculation now is just that. Speculation. So I try hard not to get too worked up about this one way or the other.

Picking in the 5-10 range in the draft. I'd be able to see the logic in drafting a handful of players. My order would go something like this :

1. Jarvis Jones - OLB is the bread and butter of the 3-4. Can't operate without them. Freeney will be gone this time next year and I don't want to rely on Jerry Hughes.

2. Star Lotulelei - Pundits are calling him a smaller Ngata with just as much power. Yeah...we could use that opposite Redding.

3. David Amerson - No explanations as to why we need a CB.

4. Keenan Allen - Eventually, he'd take over for Wayne as we do not have anyone on the #1 WR level at this point.

5. Eric Reid - I know, I know...a lot of you think Zbikowski is going to come in and dominate. If that's true...good. If not, which is more likely...I'd like to have this S from LSU. He's a better prospect than Mark Barron and we would be that much better off in the secondary.

Manti Teo does get caught in traffic at times. But the guy is still extremely solid and about 97% percent of the time he still makes the play which is what matters. The guys production is amazing, he had 10+ tackles in 9 of his college games over the span of two years. Plus he has good speed, is great tackler and has great range. But Id still say that Id have to agree if Jarvis Jones were there we should take him because that is going to be bigger need. Plus he is a pas rusher you dont find too often. I think Conner and Anger are definatly capable of holding the ILB spots down and Id still like to see what that UDFA Freeman could do at ILB. Now if Jones and Amerson are not there and Keenan Allen or Wilson are not available he would be my pick.

Manti Teo does get caught in traffic at times. But the guy is still extremely solid and about 97% percent of the time he still makes the play which is what matters. The guys production is amazing, he had 10+ tackles in 9 of his college games over the span of two years. Plus he has good speed, is great tackler and has great range. But Id still say that Id have to agree if Jarvis Jones were there we should take him because that is going to be bigger need. Plus he is a pas rusher you dont find too often. I think Conner and Anger are definatly capable of holding the ILB spots down and Id still like to see what that UDFA Freeman could do at ILB. Now if Jones and Amerson are not there and Keenan Allen or Wilson are not available he would be my pick.

If none of those were their and Rhodes was also gone, I would look hard at him but also at Guard and running back, I would be licking my chops if Montee Ball fell into our laps if those others werent available

Remember.... draft rankings are very, very fluid. A borderline 1st round pick can end up in the top half of the draft, and a top-15 guy can end up out of the 1st round.

These things happen every year.

They are very fluid within the time from the end of bowl season until the draft, a span of just 4 months. So, they're even much more fluid at a time like this when we're looking at roughly 9 months prior to the next draft. So, don't get too married about where someone is ranked today.... because they might not be there all that long. A quick ride up or down the ranking elevator can and will happen!!

Hey.... just sayin...

I love Teo. He is similar to Patrick Willis, except a MUCH better athlete and superior collegiate player. Best LB prospect in 10+ years. I am a Notre Dame fan but that is objective analysis most pundits would agree with.

most pundits would agree with you? i think not......

I'm not in favor of using a #1 pick on an ILB. The new era of the NFL has rendered the position less important.

Someone call Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis and let them know that they're not that important anymore....

I love the draft and player personnel decisions, but it's just so early now. Speculation now is just that. Speculation. So I try hard not to get too worked up about this one way or the other.

Agree 100% - We have no idea when we'll pick in the draft, we don't know what will happen with regards to FA's, current players might leave, have breakout seasons, be cut, or quit football for one reason or another. So what we "need" right now, might not be a "need" when the 2013 draft comes along, and other "needs" might have become more pressing.

So while the top CB or WR all seems like interesting picks right now, we might have different needs come draft time, and if Dwight Freeney is no longer with us, we might want to focus on getting an elite prospect to replace him, even if there's a big step from being an elite college prospect, to being an elite NFL player like Freeney obviously is..

On topic - I would absolutely love Teo joining the Colts. He's a beast, and I have no doubt he will become an elite NFL player. I'm certain he would be a starter from day 1.

Copenhagen.... you wrote...

"Someone call Ray Lewis and Patrick Willis and let them know that they're not that important anymore...."

That's not what I said...

First, Ray Lewis wasn't even drafted in this Century. The game has changed quite a bit.

Second, both guys are exceptions to the rule... they can play 3 downs. They don't have to come off the field on obvious 3rd down and passing situations. That's not the case with many (most?) ILB's... they come off for the extra corner or safety.

That's why so few ILB's are drafted high in the past few years. Most are considered "two down" players... 1st and 2nd down, yes.... 3rd down, off the field they come.

By the way, as good as Teo is... he's got work to do to stay on the field in the NFL on 3rd down. Covering a back out of the backfield, or a TE or a WR coming over the middle is not his strength. He needs to improve.

I love the guy too.... but only up to a point. I'd prefer to take an ILB in a lower round than the first, and use the premium rounds on premium positions.... and on defense, that's pass rusher and corner...

Hey, I didn't make the rules... that's the new modern day NFL....