Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

not a fan of brad wells, but...........

CR91

...is spot on (wow). This team IS more talented than the 98 Colts. Granted we did have Faulk and Marvin. But nobody else from that team with the exception of Ellis Johnson is any better than anyone we have now. And this defense has way more talent on it than the 98 squad. IMO the talent on the Oline is better. Our WR corps is better. And to be honest with you...I think a rookie Andrew Luck is better than a rookie Peyton Manning.

Not saying we're playoff bound, but I am on the record in saying we could very well finish over .500.

. Glenn pollard and dilger would disagree with that part about no one on the 98 team being better than what they have now. Fleener and Alan may one day surpass dilger and pollard I could see that but Glenn was one of the most under rated left tackles in the league when he played castonzo has a very long way to go to catch him. Castonzo could have a very nice career and not surpass Glenn.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

. Glenn pollard and dilger would disagree with that part about no one on the 98 team being better than what they have now. Fleener and Alan may one day surpass dilger and pollard I could see that but Glenn was one of the most under rated left tackles in the league when he played castonzo has a very long way to go to catch him. Castonzo could have a very nice career and not surpass Glenn.

but the argument still lingers on the fact that 98 team was not a complete team. granted they had some nice weapons, but thats basically quality over quaintly. there was no depth after those players and no one on defense worth mentioning.

The point many are making about Glenn though is that he wasn't at the level he achieved in his career yet. In 98' he was in what, his 2nd year? Pretty much the same as Castanzo.

but the argument still lingers on the fact that 98 team was not a complete team. granted they had some nice weapons, but thats basically quality over quaintly. there was no depth after those players and no one on defense worth mentioning.

No they weren't a complete team and neither is this one. What made the 98 team was the key players all came of age at the same time Marvin Peyton Glenn pollard and dilger. They all hit thier stride at the same time and I don't think this team is set up for that to happen. Marvin Glenn pollard and dilger had all been in the nfl before then to do thier growing and manning did it in a year. If you look at this team there are very few guys who have one or two years of experience at the key positions to all hit thier stride by next year. We are counting on rookies and they may all grow up in two to three years or who know maybe they turn out to be eg green and pathon. That's why you can't say this team has more talent than the 98 team or vice versa till we see what this team does.

The point many are making about Glenn though is that he wasn't at the level he achieved in his career yet. In 98' he was in what, his 2nd year? Pretty much the same as Castanzo.

Glenn was pretty good clearly not at his peek by then let's put it this way you didn't have people saying he sjould move to right tackle for Adam meadows the second rounder in the same draft as Glenn because they thought he would be better like you do with castonzo and ijalana. There were far less questions about Glenn than castonzo. It doesn't mean castonzo isn't or can't be a good player but it's asking a lot for him to be better than Glenn IMO.

No they weren't a complete team and neither is this one. What made the 98 team was the key players all came of age at the same time Marvin Peyton Glenn pollard and dilger. They all hit thier stride at the same time and I don't think this team is set up for that to happen. Marvin Glenn pollard and dilger had all been in the nfl before then to do thier growing and manning did it in a year. If you look at this team there are very few guys who have one or two years of experience at the key positions to all hit thier stride by next year. We are counting on rookies and they may all grow up in two to three years or who know maybe they turn out to be eg green and pathon. That's why you can't say this team has more talent than the 98 team or vice versa till we see what this team does.

i can agree with. until we do see what are players can do in a real game theres no way to determine who is better, but it just seems the amount of potential talent in 2012 is better then 1998. we didnt know what marv would turn into. there was no number two wr like we have in wayne, collie, and even avery. the defense is set to succeed in a better sight then the 98 defense ever did.

i can agree with. until we do see what are players can do in a real game theres no way to determine who is better, but it just seems the amount of potential talent in 2012 is better then 1998. we didnt know what marv would turn into. there was no number two wr like we have in wayne, collie, and even avery. the defense is set to succeed in a better sight then the 98 defense ever did.

That's because we saw where the talent didn't pan out on the 98 team we don't know that yet here going in the 98 team had the top draft pick at qb a former first rounder at one wr spot and the next two picks at wr that team had the potential to be loaded at wr. The two draft picks that year didn't work out so now you can look back and go well there was no clear number 2. Well yes there was he just didn't pan out the way we hoped. If the samething happens to our say two tightends this year you can look back and say there were no tightends for luck. We just don't know yet.

I've given my 2 cents about this before, but I'll do it again......

Our dismal season last year, was 100% due to terrible QB play, and almost just as bad coaching. It was not because of a lack of talent throughout the roster. If Peyton were the QB last year, we keep the status quo; 12-4 division title, and probably a premature exit in the playoffs. If Luck were the QB last year, we'd probably have won 6 or 7 games, and he'd have gotten valuable experience.

Fast forward to this year. Grigson seems to know what he's doing. You don't break the bank on Carl Nicks, you make a bunch of smaller contract, complimentary signings; Satele, McGlynn, Justice, Avery, Redding, McKinney, Zbikowski. Obviously not all of those guys will pan out, but when you consider what we lost versus what we gained, sans Peyton, I think we've come out ahead.

The Oline is getting bigger, nastier, and better. Castonzo will be a stud LT for many years. Marvin Harrison, while there's really no one better, was only one man. I'll take the combo of Reggie, Austin, and Avery, over one Marvin. I mean, who else was catching balls in '98? Jerome Pathon?

For once in my life, I agree with Brad Wells. This current roster has more talent than '98.

I 100% agree with you. I think the team is judged far too much by last years record rather than overall talent.

I also know it takes a big person to say you agree with Brad Wells!

I can't stand Brad Wells. You should see him try to talk NBA. He's hilarious to put it mildly and will proceed to block you on Twitter when you use nothing but facts to back up your points.

But my hate aside I do agree with him for once. This team overall is better than the 98' team.

hahahaha. That is so true. I made a comment about Brad Wells one time and I was blocked from the forum. He is much like these talking heads that the conversation is only allowed to go one way. And now he started attacking Grigson. He just hates Presidents/GMs.

That's because we saw where the talent didn't pan out on the 98 team we don't know that yet here going in the 98 team had the top draft pick at qb a former first rounder at one wr spot and the next two picks at wr that team had the potential to be loaded at wr. The two draft picks that year didn't work out so now you can look back and go well there was no clear number 2. Well yes there was he just didn't pan out the way we hoped. If the samething happens to our say two tightends this year you can look back and say there were no tightends for luck. We just don't know yet.

i guess its just a wait and see to find out which will be better

I think another perspective to consider is the Peyton Factor. Guys like Dilger and Pollard were solid. Dilger is one of my all time favorite Colts. But if Manning wasn't throwing them the ball, would they have ever been considered that good? If someone started watching the Colts starting last year, you would think Austin Collie was a terrible WR. But because we saw what he could do with Manning, we know he can be much better.

Luck may ultimately make Yates and Avery be very good. As well as Allen and Fleener.

Defensively, I don't think there is any comparison. The 1998 Colts really had very little on defense. Freeney and Mathis are elite. Angerer and Bethea are very good.

I personally think the team right now is overall better than the 1998 team.

I think another perspective to consider is the Peyton Factor. Guys like Dilger and Pollard were solid. Dilger is one of my all time favorite Colts. But if Manning wasn't throwing them the ball, would they have ever been considered that good? If someone started watching the Colts starting last year, you would think Austin Collie was a terrible WR. But because we saw what he could do with Manning, we know he can be much better.

Luck may ultimately make Yates and Avery be very good. As well as Allen and Fleener.

Defensively, I don't think there is any comparison. The 1998 Colts really had very little on defense. Freeney and Mathis are elite. Angerer and Bethea are very good.

I personally think the team right now is overall better than the 1998 team.

yates?

can you name the second wr? can you name anyone on the defense? you cant just stick to three players and think automatically their better then the all the guys have now. football is a team sport. we have way more depth then we did in 98. marv wasnt even marv until peyton arrived and faulk's hof years were with the rams not with us.

Yea I can name all the guys if need be. Just because all the recent players are fresh in your memory doesn't mean they are better. And the OL in 98 was filled with quality players. Glenn/Medows were head and shoulders above what we have now. Belser/Pool/Buriss are comparable to what we have now as well.

It's amazing how good this 2012 team allegedly is without even having so much as a training camp.

Yea I can name all the guys if need be. Just because all the recent players are fresh in your memory doesn't mean they are better. And the OL in 98 was filled with quality players. Glenn/Medows were head and shoulders above what we have now. Belser/Pool/Buriss are comparable to what we have now as well.

It's amazing how good this 2012 team allegedly is without even having so much as a training camp.

anyone on the defense worth mentioning

I dont see how the 1998 team can be compared, other then by statistics and even then you will have to wait 10 or so years to really start comparing position by position or at least till some of our guys start retiring now but I think its very safe to assume none of our running backs will come close to Marshall Faulk. My bad wrong thread lol

Don't know if anyone saw his article recently about how Grigson is a BSer... his two points (only two) were that 1) He said Brody Eldridge had a place on the roster then cut him 2 weeks later. Okay it was a bit misleading but he may have genuinely changed his plans over two weeks, and even then it's not the end of the world, and 2) He said "We'll definitely be using a fullback on some plays, we might use a TE as H-Back" before getting rid of our FBs... not really bull, considering in OTAs we've been using a H-back... A whole article to insult Grigson, and he hardly had a single legitimate point. He started crying because Grigson said of Fleener and Allen "I'm happy to have legit tight ends now" which was apparently a MASSIVE INSULT to Eldridge... who, um, nobody ever thought was a legit TE anyway.

Can't say which ones better because one is nearly 15yrs old, the other has yet to even take the field.

98 had 3 HoF players. Faulk, Peyton, and maybe Marvin.

This team has zero at this point in time.

Manning wasn't a HOFer in 98, and neither was Marvin. Besides, we're talking about the talent surrounding the quarterback, so you take the quarterback out of the equation.

Faulk was obviously an excellent player, but his impact in 98 wasn't enough to help us win more than three games.

Lastly, one could argue that Dwight Freeney will be a HOFer, and Adam Vinatieri likely will be as well.

Don't know if anyone saw his article recently about how Grigson is a BSer... his two points (only two) were that 1) He said Brody Eldridge had a place on the roster then cut him 2 weeks later. Okay it was a bit misleading but he may have genuinely changed his plans over two weeks, and even then it's not the end of the world, and 2) He said "We'll definitely be using a fullback on some plays, we might use a TE as H-Back" before getting rid of our FBs... not really bull, considering in OTAs we've been using a H-back... A whole article to insult Grigson, and he hardly had a single legitimate point. He started crying because Grigson said of Fleener and Allen "I'm happy to have legit tight ends now" which was apparently a MASSIVE INSULT to Eldridge... who, um, nobody ever thought was a legit TE anyway.

Yeah I read that one too. I think he just likes to hate on whoever's in charge. I really thought he was grasping at straws on those points.

Yeah I read that one too. I think he just likes to hate on whoever's in charge. I really thought he was grasping at straws on those points.

If you're gonna do a whole article to try to damage someone's name, at least have points better than that... one tenuous considering they admitted we'd be using H-back, and the other very unimportant. Hardly criminal.

Lastly, one could argue that Dwight Freeney will be a HOFer, and Adam Vinatieri likely will be as well.

Dwight has a punchers chance. But it will take several years, if at all. And I'm doubtful he will ever get in. If Greene isn't in Dwight won't come close.

Vinny won't get in based on SB heroics, which was two total games. He just won't. Theres a laundry list of Kickers who should rightfully be in before Vinny and they've never even be considered.

Glenn was pretty good clearly not at his peek by then let's put it this way you didn't have people saying he sjould move to right tackle for Adam meadows the second rounder in the same draft as Glenn because they thought he would be better like you do with castonzo and ijalana. There were far less questions about Glenn than castonzo. It doesn't mean castonzo isn't or can't be a good player but it's asking a lot for him to be better than Glenn IMO.

Oh don't get me wrong. In hindsight its easy to realize that Glenn turned out to be a great but underrated player for us. But when you look right down the line at their perspective careers, they pretty much were at the same skillpoint at the same time in their careers.

Good point.... I had seen that and was surprised by it.

But Wells wants to make an issue over..... THAT?!? Really? Let's try to turn nothing into something, shall we?

I'm sure Grigson will say other things **far** more misleading over the coming months and years. It's the nature of the beast. You can't find a GM in any sport who doesn't bend the truth to their advantage. And I'm not even talking about out and out lying -- which this was not.

Some of this I chalk up to this being the 'silly season'.... not much to talk about. And the rest I chalk up the guy being a blogger. And, as a media guy, my biggest objection to bloggers is that they don't have an editor. Someone else who says.... "Don't do that." "Don't say/write that." "That's not right," or even, "That's wrong!"

It's just write and post and throw it against a wall and see if anything sticks. Typically, (though not always) I'm not a fan of that. But the guy has a big enough blog to have advertising, so props to him. He's making it work. So, he's got scoreboard.

What are ya gonna do? :bored:

Grigson isn't going to be 100% honest with the media. He shouldn't. He's not going to be 100% honest with players. It's impossible for him to be that way and do his job to the best of his abilities.

Coach/GM speak happens in each of the 32 cities.

The game of football can make a liar out of nearly anyone if you want to look at statements on face-value.

as far as offensive line goes

Glenn > Castonzo

Steve Mckinney > Reitz

Jay Leeuwenburg < Satele

Tony Mandarich < Mcglynn

Adam Meadows > Justice

1998 offensive line is better in my opinion

Just not sure anyone fully knew what we had with Glenn prior to the start of '98, same as Castanzo now. I think their about equal, as are the lines in total.

Just not sure anyone fully knew what we had with Glenn prior to the start of '98, same as Castanzo now. I think their about equal, as are the lines in total.

I think they are in the same ball park... Glenn was a 19th rounder, and Castanzo was 22. Meadows was the 48th pick Ijalana was 49th..

Mckinney was new as well.

Leeuwanberg had seen better days, and Mandarich was a 2nd chance player trying to make a little something out of his career.

If anything the OL's are a push(pun intended), It will be interesting to see what 5 start the season.

I think they are in the same ball park... Glenn was a 19th rounder, and Castanzo was 22. Meadows was the 48th pick Ijalana was 49th..

Leeuwanberg had seen better days, and Mandarich was a 2nd chance player trying to make a little something out of his career.

If anything the OL's are a push(pun intended), It will be interesting to see what 5 start the season.

That should say 19th pic, not 19th rounder.

Defensive Line

Defensive End/OLB Dwight Freeney > Bertrand Berry

Defensive End/OLB Robert Mathis > Bernard Whittington

Ellis Johnson > Chapman (until proven differently)

Tony McCoy > Fili Moala

Cory Redding > take your pick

The O-line in 98 had not yet deloped into a good line. In 97 Harbaugh was sacked 62 times. In 98 Colts employed double tight end set out of neccessity to help protect Manning. In 98 even with Faulk, Colts had 3.9 ave per rush and 92.9 yds per game, and only 7 rushing TDs. Last years team had 4.2 rush ave ...99.6 per game...and 8 rush TDs...nothing to brag about, but it was still better than the 98 team WITH Faulk..and last year Colts QBs had 72.2 passer rating while Manning in 98 had 71.1......yes they had Dilger and Pollard who combined for 55 receptions in 98, but even last year, Clark and Tamme combined for 53.....last years defense gave up 27 points per game...'98 defense gave up 28........my point is LAST YEARS team was comparable to the 98 team, and with all the additions, I agree that Luck is stepping into a much better team than Mannng did....not that I care one way or another, just one reason I am optimistic about the upcoming season..

A word if I could about Mandarich.

Recognizing that you folks followed his career much more closely than I did -- he was, after all, a Colt for several years...

But, while noting that over all his career was mostly a bust, I think he's viewed by outside observers (meaning football people) as having had some decent years when he played guard and not tackle. Think he played guard for the Colts. I'm not saying he was All-Pro or Pro Bowl, but I don't think he was a liability in what he was asked to do. Think he was pretty decent.

Put another way, if his name wasn't Tony Mandarich, and it was something else -- almost anyone else -- I think many would say Mandarich was a decent player and perhaps the equal of Mike McGlynn...

Just thinking out loud..... I could be wrong on this.... and I'm sure someone will step up and say so if need be....

A word if I could about Mandarich.

Recognizing that you folks followed his career much more closely than I did -- he was, after all, a Colt for several years...

But, while noting that over all his career was mostly a bust, I think he's viewed by outside observers (meaning football people) as having had some decent years when he played guard and not tackle. Think he played guard for the Colts. I'm not saying he was All-Pro or Pro Bowl, but I don't think he was a liability in what he was asked to do. Think he was pretty decent.

Put another way, if his name wasn't Tony Mandarich, and it was something else -- almost anyone else -- I think many would say Mandarich was a decent player and perhaps the equal of Mike McGlynn...

Just thinking out loud..... I could be wrong on this.... and I'm sure someone will step up and say so if need be....

Your right he did have some decent years, Its harder to judge offensive linemen in my opinion without stats

Got to agree with you there. This is the first year in a long time that I don't have to try to convince myself that a small line is better for our O. It appears that we'll have some depth too.

Of course, until we see the actual line in TC and in the preseason against real competition, we're all just guessing and hoping.