Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RB Competition

atapcl

We have 5 good RBs and hopefully one will move ahead of the pack. Brown is the leader so far in camp but it has been mentioned that the Colts are moving to a power running attack. We will probably have a lot of pulling,and trapping OL to run the ball inside. Brown hurt his shoulder his last year in college and did not lift at the combine because the shoulder was hurt still. At his pro day he did not lift. In 2009 he hurt the same left shoulder. We dont know if this is a chronic problem or if the shoulder is healed. This could explain why he is not the blocking back we would like him to be. Carter has power and almost as much speed as brown but Carter recently had surgery on his thumb. Even without the thumb surgery he had problems holding on to the football last year. Carter has gained weight up to 238lbs and it will be interesting to see if the added weight slows him down or gives him added power. Ballard played in the tough SEC and in 2 years had almost as many yards as Trent Richardson had his last 2 years. Ballard fumbled about as many times in 2011 as Carter did and needs to adjust how he carries the ball. Ballard runs almost exclusively with the ball in his left hand including when he runs right which is where most of his fumbles come from. Evans has gained weight up to 232lbs and has good vission but did not seem special last year. Karim is the fastest of our backs but lost his job as a backup back. Karim is a good KR and that may help his value. We may keep 3 or 4 so at least one and possibly 2 would have to be cut.

Carter doesn't have "almost as much speed as brown"

I think Brown better have a real break year or he might be on the bubble next year he can run between the tackles but he isn't what people would call a power runner

I think Brown better have a real break year or he might be on the bubble next year he can run between the tackles but he isn't what people would call a power runner

Don't have to be a power runner when your line actually gets a push. all he has to do is be like how BenJarvis Green Ellis was for the pats and I'm satisfied but with a couple more explosive plays since he has the speed and vision to break one and keep up his no fumbling streak that's all I can ask for

Don't have to be a power runner when your line actually gets a push. all he has to do is be like how BenJarvis Green Ellis was for the pats and I'm satisfied but with a couple more explosive plays since he has the speed and vision to break one and keep up his no fumbling streak that's all I can ask for

My problem with him is, so far I have seen him dance to much and even in college, he seems indecisive even when the hole is their

My problem with him is, so far I have seen him dance to much and even in college, he seems indecisive even when the hole is their

I seen him pound it inside quite a few times it's just he barrels right into a lineman because the couldn't get no push so they ran more and more stretch plays to get him out on the edge because the line couldnt get no push up front

You mean Donald Brown? Yea, Addai kind of did that too, but he had the leaner body and quicker acceleration to make up for it. Seems like we've got too many ballerinas on our team who aspire to join Dancing with the Stars.

You mean Donald Brown? Yea, Addai kind of did that too, but he had the leaner body and quicker acceleration to make up for it. Seems like we've got too many ballerinas on our team who aspire to join Dancing with the Stars.

They were dancing because there were no immediate holes. Addai was a great all around back who just couldn't keep healthy. Brown was supposed to be his clone but has yet to live up to it.

In the NFL there are very few elite backs and the second tier ones (like ours) are pretty common. That's why I think Brown won't get another contract from us. I also think that's going to be the model for the league. Unless they're superstars most backs will be lucky to get vet minimum on their second contract.

Brown will more than likely start, with Carter and Evans fighting for the "big, bruising" short yardage type of back and Ballard playing the third down (think Mewelde Moore/Kevin Faulk) role until next season when Brown will not be retained and Ballard is the starter!

My "bold" prediction................lol

Brown will more than likely start, with Carter and Evans fighting for the "big, bruising" short yardage type of back and Ballard playing the third down (think Mewelde Moore/Kevin Faulk) role until next season when Brown will not be retained and Ballard is the starter!

My "bold" prediction................lol

Delone carter will be the starter before Ballard would. He ran pretty well his problem is fixable, just needs to hang with Tiki Barber for a couple of weeks and remember "high and tight" because Tiki had that same problem his rookie year but fixed that quick,fast,and in a hurry

Delone carter will be the starter before Ballard would. He ran pretty well his problem is fixable, just needs to hang with Tiki Barber for a couple of weeks and remember "high and tight" because Tiki had that same problem his rookie year but fixed that quick,fast,and in a hurry

Much rather he hang with Tiki's coach than Tiki. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin... know what I'm sayin?

Much rather he hang with Tiki's coach than Tiki. I'm not sayin, I'm just sayin... know what I'm sayin?

That will work too either one they both went through it but I'm pretty sure our new RBs coach is trying hard to limit that problem. heck probably making him go everywhere with a football in his hand in OTAs and when training camp start

Carter doesn't have "almost as much speed as brown"

Brown ran a 4.46 forty at the combine and did not run on his pro day. Carter ran a 4.46 on his pro day. How close should it get before we can use almost. Maybe Brown beats him by a step in the forty. Now you may be right since Carter has bulked up to 238 lbs but at 222 lbs I would call it a dead heat.

Brown ran a 4.46 forty at the combine and did not run on his pro day. Carter ran a 4.46 on his pro day. How close should it get before we can use almost. Maybe Brown beats him by a step in the forty. Now you may be right since Carter has bulked up to 238 lbs but at 222 lbs I would call it a dead heat.

The combine doesn't show on field speed. Look at Jerry Rice. Brown is a speed back. Carter is a power back. Watch a Colts game. Brown is much faster.

The combine doesn't show on field speed. Look at Jerry Rice. Brown is a speed back. Carter is a power back. Watch a Colts game. Brown is much faster.

I have to Agree with You. When Brown ran that 80-Yarder against the Titans, I declared him our Fastest RB lol. But maybe the others did get Faster, who knows?

brown will rush for over 1,000 yds this year. he has breakaway speed just didn't have a good offensive line.

I believe he will get 1k easily for several reasons,better O-line,contract year,looked ok last year good games,and with Luck as QB atleast for awhile I believe the colts 50/50 run pass.

call me crazy but i look fwd to seeing darren evans step up... in the grand scheme of this whole thing he is th ideal or typical back that you would want in this new downhill running game... brown is ok i wouldnt call him the best back on the team..

I'd love to see Darren Evans get more carries, right now it appears we have running back by committee

I'd love to see Darren Evans get more carries, right now it appears we have running back by committee

yea it does appear to be that way hopeefully in training camp/preseason someone steps ahead of the bunch... i would want it to be evans but i wun care if its karim as long as they are productive with the rock and w/o it (protecting luck)

yea it does appear to be that way hopeefully in training camp/preseason someone steps ahead of the bunch... i would want it to be evans but i wun care if its karim as long as they are productive with the rock and w/o it (protecting luck)

Karim might just be lucky to make it out of camp if he is just competing for a return job, of course with all this uncertainty, who knows

Brown's shoulder isn't the reason for his inability to block... You have to read the rush and decide what needs to be done before the shoulder gets involved.

We used a lot of zone blocking schemes, which is part of the reason there was never a lot of use for a fullback. Brown isn't good at anticipating where the hole will be. His best runs come on plays where the hole opens up right where the play is headed. Then there are plays where he can make someone miss and outrun the defense (like the touchdown against the Titans.) He's a good runner, just wasn't a good fit for the way we used our line and backs. And he gets brought down by arm tackles too often. But with a more straight ahead blocking style, he should be more effective.

Brown's real value (IMO) is in the flats and on Screen's etc. He is not a between the tackles runner. If you given the dude some open field to work with, he is a one move and go runner. He is a good cutback runner as well. Get the defense flowing one way and then cut back and fine the express way!

Cater got up to 238 pounds?!?!?! Does anyone have any pictures of him at this weight, was it all muscle. If so he'd have to absolutely be a hulk.

He could've bulked up or it could've been a typo and meant 228. I mean colts.com did have Buddy Jackson at 31 yrs old

Given the new coach and running scheme Brown should excel. I can’t necessarily agree with the OP when saying we have 5 good running backs. From what I have seen we have mediocre running backs that have the potential to be good. Brown who needs to shore up pass blocking and vision, but did show flashes of what he could do last year when given a lead blocker. Carter who needs to shore up fumbling issues, also showed good burst though the line at times. As for the rest of the bunch, they are just plethora of unproven talent. Imo that’s not 5 good running backs. Given the right scheme any rb can thrive especially with a lead blocker. Just remember this one thing, behind every good running back there’s a good fb and line, without those guys good rb’s are non-existent.

The colts offence line will determine how good are running backs will be this year. Without a fullback it will all determined by our guards tackles and center on how well they work together as a whole to open up gaps. With the guards, tackles and center being bigger and stronger there is always a possibility.

If they fail then we are going to look like past 5 years over again.

Brown's shoulder isn't the reason for his inability to block... You have to read the rush and decide what needs to be done before the shoulder gets involved.

Brown is smart he can correctly read the rush. The problem is fear. Fear of reinjuring a chronic shoulder will prevent him from acting in a manner he knows is right. In that clasic tape of Peyton cussing Donald the DE closing on Peyton was Charlie Johnson's man to stop but Donald could have attempted to block him and didn't. I believe it was on his left side where he was afraid to hurt his shoulder.

It's interesting to me that Donald Brown is ranked as the 5th best pass blocking back in the NFL, based on the film, yet this "Brown can't block" meme won't go away.

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2012/03/30/2011-pass-blocking-efficiency-running-backs/