Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Understanding the 3-4 Defense! Very Intriguing!

weslo1812

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/891384-breaking-down-the-3-4-defense - - - After reading this and knowing what we have I think we could already be suited to play this Defense alot better than people think. A very good basic explanation on how the 3-4 is set up, the base formation for it, the type of players you need at each position along with thier responsibilities.

Upon watching a few Ravens games and seeing how Suggs rushed the passer the majority of the time on Youtube, I think Freeney will be just fine if he embraces it, now I still have questions about it such as, will he be asked to set the edge? can he set the edge? what will happen when we go against a team such as New England and they use the same two Tight End format that we do or similar?, I've never thought the coaching staff wont put Freeney in the best chance to be effective because I know that they will, hes great at rushing the passer that's obvious, but what about setting the edge?

We would probably just play a cover 0 bringing the safties in and playing everyone in man coverage. The saftes could come in and double the TEs along with Freeny and Mathis. Mathis and freeny would stay underneath them and our two safties would stay over top of them limiting any big plays from them. Thats just what I think thay could do as far as trying to limit two TE sets. As far as Freeny being able to set the edge, I think thats just gonna depend on what the situation is. Plus Our DE now will be playing run first then pass so they will probably be setting the edge a fair amount themselves.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/891384-breaking-down-the-3-4-defense - - - After reading this and knowing what we have I think we could already be suited to play this Defense alot better than people think. A very good basic explanation on how the 3-4 is set up, the base formation for it, the type of players you need at each position along with thier responsibilities.

I have some hope based on the Texans turnaround. Their talent two tears ago wasn't much better than ours was last year. They went from being horrible to being very good when they switched. (yes, I know they picked up some key FAs too)

DEs in a 3-4 get combo blocked(double teamed) on just about every play the line doubles the end on the way to the linebacker that's why Nevis bulked up to 310 so he can withstand those double teams like redding leaving linebackers running freely and making plays. I read a little stat on Kavell Connor Football Outsiders did(I think) and he ranked in the top 15 linebackers in stopping the run(on his tackles per run play was like 2.3yrds if I remember correctly I found that interesting being that our team rush defense sucked

Im not sure, I dont know of a reaon why you couldn't though. Id say try it.

I don't think so because of that copyright commercial that come on before every Sunday night game..And it comes on when NFL Replay is on..it says this content can't be showed without consent of the NFL so I say you can't upload full games just highlights

DEs in a 3-4 get combo blocked(double teamed) on just about every play the line doubles the end on the way to the linebacker that's why Nevis bulked up to 310 so he can withstand those double teams like redding leaving linebackers running freely and making plays. I read a little stat on Kavell Connor Football Outsiders did(I think) and he ranked in the top 15 linebackers in stopping the run(on his tackles per run play was like 2.3yrds if I remember correctly I found that interesting being that our team rush defense sucked

Good point there. I think it will be intersting to see how Nevis and Meola fit in to those End position but from what Ive read I think they cn do well. And thats a very intriguing stat on conner which really encourages me on his ability and having him and Anger in the middle. That could be a formidable ILB duo, they are both young and getting better to.

I don't think so because of that copyright commercial that come on before every Sunday night game..And it comes on when NFL Replay is on..it says this content can't be showed without consent of the NFL so I say you can't upload full games just highlights

The thing is, I posted the Colts Super Bowl win and no one said anything but when I posted the Colts Texans week 1 game from last year, I was told cant do that and they are both on youtube

The thing is, I posted the Colts Super Bowl win and no one said anything but when I posted the Colts Texans week 1 game from last year, I was told cant do that and they are both on youtube

You'd be better off trying to find highlights on NFL.com and trying to post from there.

Unless the NFL/ESPN/NBC have official youtube channels that you are linking from, most of that type of footage would be a copyright violation.

Upon watching a few Ravens games and seeing how Suggs rushed the passer the majority of the time on Youtube, I think Freeney will be just fine if he embraces it, now I still have questions about it such as, will he be asked to set the edge? can he set the edge? what will happen when we go against a team such as New England and they use the same two Tight End format that we do or similar?, I've never thought the coaching staff wont put Freeney in the best chance to be effective because I know that they will, hes great at rushing the passer that's obvious, but what about setting the edge?

I am curious about what you are defining as setting the edge and why you have any doubt about Freeney's ability to do it. We certainly haven't asked him to do it on a regular basis in the previous scheme, but it isn't magic if you have the physical tools, which he does in abundance. And, yes, many of Pagano's hybrid schemes will require D Free to have run containment responsibilities.

Are we allowed to post full games from Youtube on here?

Im not sure, I dont know of a reaon why you couldn't though. Id say try it.

http://forums.colts....ns-2011-week-1/

You posted a game a week ago. Maureen took it down, locked the thread, and told you that it was illegal. As entertaining as it would be to see what she might do the second time, you should probably just let it drop.

http://bleacherrepor...the-3-4-defense - - - After reading this and knowing what we have I think we could already be suited to play this Defense alot better than people think. A very good basic explanation on how the 3-4 is set up, the base formation for it, the type of players you need at each position along with thier responsibilities.

Their diagram is wrong in the article, as they have reversed the labels on the WOLB and SOLB (TE side)...might be confusing for those that pick things up visually. Your WOLB is your primary pass rusher, AKA Dwight Freeney in our scheme, and gets a clearer edge rush lane to the QB with no TE in the picture.

Are we allowed to post full games from Youtube on here?

How about just letting people know the games are on YouTube if they want to see them?

Thanks, I didn't know they were up. Not sure I want to see any from last year though.

I am curious about what you are defining as setting the edge and why you have any doubt about Freeney's ability to do it. We certainly haven't asked him to do it on a regular basis in the previous scheme, but it isn't magic if you have the physical tools, which he does in abundance. And, yes, many of Pagano's hybrid schemes will require D Free to have run containment responsibilities.

setting the edge meaning force the run to stay inside and not be able to bounce outside where Freeney will have to stop it himself one on one

Their diagram is wrong in the article, as they have reversed the labels on the WOLB and SOLB (TE side)...might be confusing for those that pick things up visually. Your WOLB is your primary pass rusher, AKA Dwight Freeney in our scheme, and gets a clearer edge rush lane to the QB with no TE in the picture.

The labelling seems correct. They were switched from what we normally see because the TE is lined up to the left of the offense and you want the SLB on the TE side with the WLB on the side with no TE. Some teams will counter by using 2 TEs.

Take this for what you will, but earlier this week on NFL32, they were talking what the Colts (actually all afc south teams) have done to upgrade their defense over the offseason. Bill Polian was talking about the players that were on the Colts before FA started (basically all the players he drafted) talking about how they were scouted specifically for a tampa 2 defensive scheme. He said that only Nevis and Moala are capable of playing in a 2-gap scheme. He also said that Freeney and Mathis would both have to set the edge in the new defense, and he added that neither are good at it.

I'm not saying I agree with him, just passing on what he said. :)

You know i hope this 3-4 scheme works better in pass coverage whys better than the Ravens do in there 3-4 defense because both the Ravens and Steelers suck as far as pass coverage everytime those 2 teams play a solid offense they lose and get pick apart in the passing game.Teams with solid QB's like Packers, Giants,Saints, Texans just be lighting them up in the air i hope the Colts defense model the Texans 3-4 defense somewhat because to me they play the 3-4 better than the Steelers and Ravens just my opinion.I also think Freeney is a better player than Suggs im not worry about the run defense that's going to improve dramitically because the 3-4 defense is a run stopping defense anyway the Colts should be in the top 10 as far as run defense this year they have the talent.

You know i hope this 3-4 scheme works better in pass coverage whys better than the Ravens do in there 3-4 defense because both the Ravens and Steelers suck as far as pass coverage everytime those 2 teams play a solid offense they lose and get pick apart in the passing game.Teams with solid QB's like Packers, Giants,Saints, Texans just be lighting them up in the air i hope the Colts defense model the Texans 3-4 defense somewhat because to me they play the 3-4 better than the Steelers and Ravens just my opinion.I also think Freeney is a better player than Suggs im not worry about the run defense that's going to improve dramitically because the 3-4 defense is a run stopping defense anyway the Colts should be in the top 10 as far as run defense this year they have the talent.

You can get a good look at munusky defense right now on NFL Network but the chargers are playing Tim Tebow so the secondary is not getting tested that much but it's still a good look at his defense

The labelling seems correct. They were switched from what we normally see because the TE is lined up to the left of the offense and you want the SLB on the TE side with the WLB on the side with no TE. Some teams will counter by using 2 TEs.

Look at the picture again.

For the reasons you point out... he hasn't been asked to set the edge very often before. He's not well versed or practiced in it. In fact, his well known, famous spin move is the antithesis of setting the edge. He's always been a get to the QB kind of player, and now, it won't be that way as much. I, and others, wonder how he'll adapt? And will he excel at his new responsibilities? We hope so...

For the reasons you point out... he hasn't been asked to set the edge very often before. He's not well versed or practiced in it. In fact, his well known, famous spin move is the antithesis of setting the edge. He's always been a get to the QB kind of player, and now, it won't be that way as much. I, and others, wonder how he'll adapt? And will he excel at his new responsibilities? We hope so...

It is an assignment and not all that complicated if your are physically able

It also requires alot of disciplne to not try to over pursuit or else you get what Tim Tebow did to I believe it was the Jets or Bears, but I believe it was the Jets. a guy potentially running free for a touchdown

He probably won't be asked to set the edge when he's rushing from a three-point stance. He'll probably be let loose to get the quarterback.

He probably won't be asked to set the edge when he's rushing from a three-point stance. He'll probably be let loose to get the quarterback.

That would be using his more valuable skill set for sure, and it would make sense that containment responsibilities from his rush stance will be a variation rather than the norm.

What I wanna know is if pat angerer will keep his job... he's a great tackle but Idk, if I was the colts I'd try Jerry Hughes as his replacement on the inside just to see how he fares.

While Hughes was projected to move to a 3-4 OLB in the NFL, that is nothing like moving to ILB. Stranger things have happened but Hughes as an ILB is a lot less likely than Edds or Harvey emerging from back up roles.

What I wanna know is if pat angerer will keep his job... he's a great tackle but Idk, if I was the colts I'd try Jerry Hughes as his replacement on the inside just to see how he fares.

why would you do that to Angerer? The guy had 148 tackles last year 2 forced fumbles and 1 interception, you dont replace your best Linebacker in years for a guy thats likely better suited for OLB

I think it's more likely Angerer will succeed at the position than Hughes. After a season if it's oblivious he's not big enough, draft bigger. Gotta put your best players on the field.

It also requires alot of disciplne to not try to over pursuit or else you get what Tim Tebow did to I believe it was the Jets or Bears, but I believe it was the Jets. a guy potentially running free for a touchdown

Safeties are the key. Eric Smith got beat bad, with no outside containment on the Tebow TD, should never happen. Explains why the Jets went after Landry and Yeremiah Bell and totally revamped their safeties, they have one heck of a secondary right now. Jets are going to be hard to pass on, they will be back to 2009 levels when they went to the AFCCG in terms of being the #1 pass D. That is why it benefits them to have a QB like Tebow closer to the red zone so that they dont have to worry about turnovers from Sanchize there and can punch it in with a FB like QB. Between the 20s, I still expect Sanchez to be the QB primarily.

Sure tackling and safety play, let us see how our D fares on that front with Pagano. He did bring his Ravens' safeties coach over, I am excited about that. Bethea and Zbikowski should be able to play well. Pagano does mix up his zones real well. We might be fine not having our CBs playing man all the time if our secondary is going to be coached like the Ravens. Manusky however is the X factor, and if Pagano is going to drive the D's philosophy or Manusky since I have absolutely low confidence in Manusky's secondary schemes. In fact, the Chargers, by hiring Ron Meeks, I think, will have an improved secondary this year, mark that down. I liked how well Ron Meeks mixed up his zones in his secondary, much better than Coyer, just not the cushion that went along with it on the frontside.

For those of you who still can't picture the 3-4 in Indianapolis, use this link to help. It's UGA with their 3-4 to give you a Video of how we'll move, blitz, cover, etc. Try to imagine the Colts Defensive Players while watching the Vid. Hope this is as Helpful to you Guys, as it was to Me

I was reading on where our Pass defense ranked last year and we ranked 15th in the leauge last year. we gave up about 227 yards a game which is not bad actually. Our apperant and obvious problem is stopping the intermidate stuff over the midddle. We allowed teams a completion percentage of 72.7 and thier avg yard per attempt was 16.1 and attempts per TD 7.9. Well Alot of that could largley be attributed to the type of Defense we played and allowing our recivers a ten yard free start. Thats changed now and were gonna be alot more agressive and jam recivers at the line, NO more free realses. So If our corners and can adapt to this system and show the ability to cover maybe our pass D takes a nice step foward. It will really depend on thier ability to play man on man and jam at the line. If the guys we have now can do that then we could be in good shape. I wouldnt say our pass defense was horrible overall, now it was horrible in one area maybe but not all together. Not that it affects us but the pats and packers were last and second to last in pass defense rating and look where they got.