Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts trying to trade for Cowboys CB Mike Jenkins [Merge]

MTC

I say we just drop the topic & stay with our CB's. It's not like we don't have Potential at CB. Chism, dude from Broncos, Rucker, Thomas... we're Fine. Let Jenkins continue his Temper Tantrum in Dallas. No need to bring Negative Energy into our Locker room after coming off a 2-14 Season

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no point for the Cowboys to trade him unless they got some really good picks in return for him. They keep him for cheap this seasons, let him walk in FA and pick up a compensatory pick. It's a win win for Dallas.

Unless they bring in more FA's then they lose, then they don't get any comp picks.

I say we just drop the topic & stay with our CB's. It's not like we don't have Potential at CB. Chism, dude from Broncos, Rucker, Thomas... we're Fine. Let Jenkins continue his Temper Tantrum in Dallas. No need to bring Negative Energy into our Locker room after coming off a 2-14 Season

No need to have terrible CBs. We have potential, but when half of the guys you list with "potential" are UDFAs and another a 6th round pick, it shows how bad we are at corner.

No need to have terrible CBs. We have potential, but when half of the guys you list with "potential" are UDFAs and another a 6th round pick, it shows how bad we are at corner.

True, but everyone knows we've always struggled in the Secondary. But we need to give our guys a CHANCE this Year. Stop being so quick to jump on CB's who've been in the league. Give our young guns a oppurtunity to prove themselves. How will we ever know if they're any good if we keep bringing other people in? OTA's mean nothing if they Perform better in the Real Game. Everyone is a little struggled right now cause the NEW Systems on BOTH sides. We'll have to wait till Pre-Season to see who really Improved & Caught on

Grigs stayed true to his beliefs in the draft, so I can't see him all of a sudden getting "non-smart" now. Cowboys routinely draft players with the wrong attitude and then they are poisoned by the whole Dallas Nation thing and usually under perform yet think they are elite. I do not want him.

This is exactly the case with Jenkins.

I don't think you realize how bad our corners are. Besides Jerraud Powers we have no one. Jenkins would be a clear upgrade.

I don't think you realize how bad our corners have been the last two seasons, and Jenkins contributed heavily to that. Jenkins will not be an upgrade of significance to justify throwing away draft picks which a team rebuilding desperately needs. Even if by some miracle Jenkins wasn't a liability in coverage for you, you would not get a full season from him. He'll be missing time before October rolls around. A guy like Jenkins is not a person you want in the mix of a rebuilding team. You guys are basically starting over from scratch. Jenkins could easily hinder that by the cost of trade, cost of contract (Rosenhaus is his agent), and chance of his poor attitude infecting other young players with potential.

I don't think you realize how bad our corners have been the last two seasons, and Jenkins contributed heavily to that. Jenkins will not be an upgrade of significance to justify throwing away draft picks which a team rebuilding desperately needs. Even if by some miracle Jenkins wasn't a liability in coverage for you, you would not get a full season from him. He'll be missing time before October rolls around. A guy like Jenkins is not a person you want in the mix of a rebuilding team. You guys are basically starting over from scratch. Jenkins could easily hinder that by the cost of trade, cost of contract (Rosenhaus is his agent), and chance of his poor attitude infecting other young players with potential.

The vice president of the Cowboys contradicts your statement on Jenkins character.just because he wants a trade and holds out makes him a bad person I don't get that. Well I guess Drew Brees and MJD are bad ppl as well if that's the case. And Jenkins only missed 6 games out of a total 66 and led your "Cowboys" in pass defensed since his rookie year(past 3 years). Granted the cowboys secondary was bad the past two years. I would say just my guess that you just didn't like Mike Jenkins to begin with

Id rather see what we got in Fenelus, Chism, and Vaughn.... the Cowboys and Jerry Jones are dumb(er) than I thought if they think were gonna give up a 1st or second for that mediocre hyped CB. Alot of people rave about Chism, and I see why, dude has a hit stick button built in, but Fenelus looks like the better cover corner and isnt afraid to tackle either. Either way, id prefer both of them instead of giving up picks for Jenkins

The vice president of the Cowboys contradicts your statement on Jenkins character.just because he wants a trade and holds out makes him a bad person I don't get that. Well I guess Drew Brees and MJD are bad ppl as well if that's the case. And Jenkins only missed 6 games out of a total 66 and led your "Cowboys" in pass defensed since his rookie year(past 3 years). Granted the cowboys secondary was bad the past two years. I would say just my guess that you just didn't like Mike Jenkins to begin with

He's just trying to help. I don't agree with him either, but really? Insulting a team much better than us? I agree he's not a bad person though.

I actually don't like it if we have to give up a pick in the first four rounds. We will suck next season anyway and Mike Jenkins isn't changing that fact. There are a lot of good cb next season and we can expect a high pick so we can get a top cb like Amerson and another young talent in the mid rounds.

If Jenkins had half a brain he'd get his butt back to Dallas. He'll have plenty of opportunities to make some plays this year, and he'd better if he wants a good contract- wherever ends up. The last thing a rebuilding team needs is a player who doesn't want to fulfill a contract. Who's to say he won't pull a stunt like this again (his agent is Drew Rosenhaus)? It's not like he just came off of a Pro Bowl year, and he's been nothing but injury prone the last couple of years. That may change, but then again....?? I don't care for Jerry Jones, but he playing this pretty smart. Let Jenkins show he's the corner he was a couple years ago, then move him before the trade deadline if his value goes up. Both sides end up happy.

If Jenkins had half a brain he'd get his butt back to Dallas. He'll have plenty of opportunities to make some plays this year, and he'd better if he wants a good contract- wherever ends up. The last thing a rebuilding team needs is a player who doesn't want to fulfill a contract. Who's to say he won't pull a stunt like this again (his agent is Drew Rosenhaus)? It's not like he just came off of a Pro Bowl year, and he's been nothing but injury prone the last couple of years. That may change, but then again....?? I don't care for Jerry Jones, but he playing this pretty smart. Let Jenkins show he's the corner he was a couple years ago, then move him before the trade deadline if his value goes up. Both sides end up happy.

He is just doing whats best for him he know he is not in the future plans of the cowboys so he wants out and wants to go somewhere where he can start instead of playing nickel back..I cant blame him for wanting out and making a business decision to play and earn a new contract or get an extension when he is traded.He is just looking out for him

Why would the Cowboys trade Jenkins for a 4th or 5th round pick? Their compensatory pick would be in the same 'ballpark' if they keep him, then lose him at years' end. I've looked at their possible needs- safety, DE, OLB, 3rd WR, and depth @ TE/O-Line. Jenkins was a Pro-Bowl-caliber player before getting hurt, and he's just entering his prime. Sure he can be again (if his shoulder is healthy). Don't think the Cowboys will let him go w/out a quality player involved in the deal...

You don't get comp picks if you release a player under contract. You only get comps for free agents that are not signed. That is why the Colts will not get a 1st round comp pick for Manning.

You don't get comp picks if you release a player under contract. You only get comps for free agents that are not signed. That is why the Colts will not get a 1st round comp pick for Manning.

I'm confused because we got a compensatory pick for Clint session and he got signed by the jags in free agency.I honestly don't know how that compensatory stuff works all I know is that they can't be traded.Nevermind I know now you get them if you lost more free agents than you signed basically

That's what I mean though, he'll be a free agent @ the end of the year. It's a contract year for Jenkins...

He is just doing whats best for him he know he is not in the future plans of the cowboys so he wants out and wants to go somewhere where he can start instead of playing nickel back..I cant blame him for wanting out and making a business decision to play and earn a new contract or get an extension when he is traded.He is just looking out for him

Yeah that's true.

I'm confused because we got a compensatory pick for Clint session and he got signed by the jags in free agency.I honestly don't know how that compensatory stuff works all I know is that they can't be traded.Nevermind I know now you get them if you lost more free agents than you signed basically

If a team loses more compensatory free agents that they gained in the previous year, they get some picks. If a player's contract has run out, the team does not resign him, and he signs with another team, then he is considered a "lost" player. If you signed a player, that's considered a gain.

Hope that helps :P

Id rather see what we got in Fenelus, Chism, and Vaughn.... the Cowboys and Jerry Jones are dumb(er) than I thought if they think were gonna give up a 1st or second for that mediocre hyped CB. Alot of people rave about Chism, and I see why, dude has a hit stick button built in, but Fenelus looks like the better cover corner and isnt afraid to tackle either. Either way, id prefer both of them instead of giving up picks for Jenkins

Totally Agree!! lets see what we got with Thomas and Rucker hopefully being healthy and what our UDFA guys can do. Then if we are still struggling at the position next offseason we use our draft picks and free agency to adress the need. Its really that simple. Rather than trying to force a deal where Jerry is just gonna try and rip us off anyways, we just wait and stll adress it without giving anything up.

Totally Agree!! lets see what we got with Thomas and Rucker hopefully being healthy and what our UDFA guys can do. Then if we are still struggling at the position next offseason we use our draft picks and free agency to adress the need. Its really that simple. Rather than trying to force a deal where Jerry is just gonna try and rip us off anyways, we just wait and stll adress it without giving anything up.

I wouldnt say mediocre hyped. he is very good when he is healthy. but i do agree if their wanting anything more then a 5th round or later draft pick then it isnt worth it. but all in all we have been trying to find CB's for the last couple of years now and nothing has panned out. Powers has been good, but they need someone who has the experience at the position on the other side.

i have a sneaking suspicion that Freeney might be involved in this trade. I don't think it will happen because of position and cap space, but when I first heard this I thought Freeney would be a part of it.

Where would he play on the Cowboys? Unless you suspect a multiple team trade. Freeney really does make sense in the Colt's Hybrid and I don't think anyone but the fans are in a hurry to trade him. It is all for sale, but Freeney fits.

If this has shown colts fans its one thing: the coaches and FO are not happy with our current CB's. Don't be surprised when they try and bring in proven guys either by trade or signing. I'm not saying stars, just guys who can be steady contributers.

I wouldnt say mediocre hyped. he is very good when he is healthy. but i do agree if their wanting anything more then a 5th round or later draft pick then it isnt worth it. but all in all we have been trying to find CB's for the last couple of years now and nothing has panned out. Powers has been good, but they need someone who has the experience at the position on the other side.

Yeah te thing has been with our attempt to get CBs we have been using latter draft picks except for Powers basically and they just have not been healthy either. Look at all our Injuries we have had the last couple years, I think people tend to ingnore that fact and it was a big reason for some of our struggles last year, especially on the offensive Line. Im hoping these guys like Thomas and Rucker can stay healthy and actually play a season so we can see how capable they actually are. I think we might be a little too qucik to judge them when haven't even really gotten enough time to adjust to the game and prove themselves.

I appreciate your coming on here to say this. I'm not an expert on the Cowboys by any stretch, but I watched most of the draft and heard endless comments about the Cowboys secondary issues. I understand that Jenkins has had his good moments and that he was a first round pick, but he's just entering his prime and the Cowboys clearly don't think that he's the answer. Why a rebuilding team would give up a high draft pick to gamble like this just defies common sense. Our theme for the past few months has been "get rid of the injury prone players and the high draft picks who didn't pan out". So now we are going to give up a high draft pick to take on someone else's injury prone high draft pick who didn't pan out. I'm just scratching my head here.

That's what I mean though, he'll be a free agent @ the end of the year. It's a contract year for Jenkins...

Like hoosier stated he was talking about next year and then the Col.ts would get a comp. I assumed (I know I should never assume) that he was talking about being released this year.

I don't know all the ins and outs of comp but if you lose more FA than you sign and those FA than you get comp picks for those FA. If those FAs that you lost do well on their next team then you get higher comps. Thus the joke about the Colts NOT getting a first round comp pick for Manning.

Yeah te thing has been with our attempt to get CBs we have been using latter draft picks except for Powers basically and they just have not been healthy either. Look at all our Injuries we have had the last couple years, I think people tend to ingnore that fact and it was a big reason for some of our struggles last year, especially on the offensive Line. Im hoping these guys like Thomas and Rucker can stay healthy and actually play a season so we can see how capable they actually are. I think we might be a little too qucik to judge them when haven't even really gotten enough time to adjust to the game and prove themselves.

Actually Thomas was a third, and while Rucker was a sixth he was rated much higher than that before some off-field issues were factored in (if memory serves). Both were essentially rookies last year, and instead of being worked slowly into the mix as a small part of an effective team, they were thrown to the wolves full-time in the midst of a meltdown. Even star quality DBs need time to get used to the NFL - I've never condoned the thought of giving up on them for a second, and I doubt that the Colts FO has either. They both showed plenty of promise.

The price (in terms of picks and contract extension) will ultimately determine if this is a good move for whatever team may try to pull the trigger. I wouldn't get too excited about Jenkins unless you get him at a real bargain but I also think Cowboys1993 is overstating how bad he is out of frustration as a fan. Frankly, I think he's a flat out better option than a lot of the guys you have on the roster right now and he could stand to benefit from better coaching than what Rob Ryan has to offer. Jenkins never realy scared me as a Skins fan, that's for sure, but you at least had to respect the fact that he was far from being the weakest link on Dallas' defense.

I will also point out that there is a strong parallel that could be drawn here between Jenkins and Carlos Rogers. A simple change in scenery can make a huge difference sometimes.

Actually Thomas was a third, and while Rucker was a sixth he was rated much higher than that before some off-field issues were factored in (if memory serves). Both were essentially rookies last year, and instead of being worked slowly into the mix as a small part of an effective team, they were thrown to the wolves full-time in the midst of a meltdown. Even star quality DBs need time to get used to the NFL - I've never condoned the thought of giving up on them for a second, and I doubt that the Colts FO has either. They both showed plenty of promise.

Yeah thats very true and thats exactly what I think they may need. I dont mean everyone has written them off but I think there is a large majority who have, especially those lovely experts on espn and NFL Network and even the writers out there. It gets real annoying sometimes. I think we as true fans of our team are alot more knowledgable about alot of things on our team then some of these experts.

Yeah thats very true and thats exactly what I think they may need. I dont mean everyone has written them off but I think there is a large majority who have, especially those lovely experts on espn and NFL Network and even the writers out there. It gets real annoying sometimes. I think we as true fans of our team are alot more knowledgable about alot of things on our team then some of these experts.

All true. The experts often just speak in generalities, and the bottom line is that the Colts pass defense wasn't good last year. I doubt that many are paying too much attention to the details. Unfortunately many fans have come to the same conclusion. It was hard to watch last year and have any optimism, but (for instance) I saw Thomas make plays on the ball in every start - something that the UFAs at CB couldn't do. He just made some obvious and damaging mistakes as well. One would hope that with experience and training he can reduce the mistakes, and those "plays on the ball" could start becoming interceptions.

Like hoosier stated he was talking about next year and then the Col.ts would get a comp. I assumed (I know I should never assume) that he was talking about being released this year.

I don't know all the ins and outs of comp but if you lose more FA than you sign and those FA than you get comp picks for those FA. If those FAs that you lost do well on their next team then you get higher comps. Thus the joke about the Colts NOT getting a first round comp pick for Manning.

Compensatory picks are positioned in rounds 3-7

Giving up a 2nd is a bad thing? Pollack, Wheeler, Ugoh, Moala etc? If our back office thinks he's a surefire starter and difference maker, all we are giving up is a lucky dip in next years draft......and I know we will pick higher that where these guys are taken, but I'd take the gamble if I thought that highly of him. Which I don't....

I have yet to find a confirmation on the "we offered a 3rd and a 4th together" all the Dallas people and Calvin Watkins(ESPNdallas) only say we offered a compelling offer which Watkins said could be a 4th,5th(which we don't have) or 6th depends on what you define as compelling. But ima just wait until Irsay tweets about it or Jerry Jones speaks