Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why the Colts Should Sign Justin King

Andy

Like I promised... oh and it's unedited.

The Colts have taken a look at former Rams cornerback Justin King. If signed, King would help the Colts in many ways.

Justin King was drafted in the 4th round in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was the 2nd fastest players at the combine, and the fastest cornerback with his 40 yard dash time of 4.31. King got a significant amount of playing time in his first sasonyear because of injuries to the starters. King missed his rookie season due to a torn ligament in his hallux. He showed signs of on-field immaturity and inexperience whether it was missing tackles or being a liability in coverage. He wasn't impressive. He was actually the 2nd worst tackling cornerback that season (behind Asante Samuel). Then, the following season, he missed eight games and didn't get a lot of action, but showed improvements in the tackling department. Then, this past season, he looked very solid when it came to tackling and showed improvements in the coverage department. He had his first interception this year.

He's getting better and better as the years go on, and he's still young at the age of 25. Now, that you know about him, I'll tell you why he could help the Colts.

The Colts are thin at the cornerback spot. With Jacob Lacey going to the Lions, the Colts are left 4 NFL ready cornerbacks (Powers, Rucker, Thomas, and Johnson). Even if he doesn't become a starter, he could provide much needed depth to a very thin postition, and a position that has had plenty of injuries in the past few years. Bodies are needed there.

Kevin Thomas isn't good. He really isn't. Albeit, he missed his rookie season and didn't have a "full" offseason. If King is signed, he could definitely compete with Thomas for the starting spot, and if you ask me, would win it from him. Kevin Thomas is very athletic, being tall and fast. He had tons of potential coming out of college due to his athleticism. Justin King is faster and is the same size. He's more athletic than Thomas. He's also improving, something you can't say about Kevin Thomas, who showed no signs of improvement last year. Thomas was one of the worst tacklers last season, missing 7 tackles out of 38 attempts. Justin King was better (stats are unknown, but he was ranked higher than Thomas). Thomas looked horrible last year allowing tons of touchdowns, including the 80 yarder to Julio Jones.

Special Teams Help. Justin King is extremely fast, like I said, so you would think he's good on special teams. Right, but that's not always the case. He looked really solid the last few years on special teams and with his tackling getting better, he'll only get better there too. The Colts have one of the worst special team units in the leauge, and they lost their best special teamer in Jacob Tamme. King would be the first one down the field and one of the first to make the tackle.

Those are 3 big reasons why the Colts should sign him, and better yet, he's cheap. He definitely won't come for a lot of money because he was just released (difference from not being re-signed), and no teams are looking at him. The Colts should sign him.

So why didn't the Rams keep him? Sure they drafted a corner and brought in Finnegan but if he was improving than why would they let such a young corner go? I'm not saying he couldn't add depth to our team but I am not sure he is much an upgrade as you make him out.

So why didn't the Rams keep him? Sure they drafted a corner and brought in Finnegan but if he was improving than why would they let such a young corner go? I'm not saying he couldn't add depth to our team but I am not sure he is much an upgrade as you make him out.

He was a free agent this year and before he officially became one they released him. They didn't keep him because they have too many on the roster, they have Finnegan, Jenkins and Johnson new to the team, with Fletcher, and Gordy backing up. There was no room for him and they didn't want to resign him because it would just be a waste. He's a good player, but there wasn't room for him, that's all.

Actually, they didn't keep him because he's NOT a good player. I don't mind if we wind up signing this guy, but you're heralding a player who was ranked as the absolute worst corner in the NFL last season as a significant addition to our secondary, and at the same time denigrating Kevin Thomas. I don't get it.

Kevin Thomas isn't good. He really isn't. Albeit, he missed his rookie season and didn't have a "full" offseason. If King is signed, he could definitely compete with Thomas for the starting spot, and if you ask me, would win it from him. Kevin Thomas is very athletic, being tall and fast. He had tons of potential coming out of college due to his athleticism. Justin King is faster and is the same size. He's more athletic than Thomas. He's also improving, something you can't say about Kevin Thomas, who showed no signs of improvement last year. Thomas was one of the worst tacklers last season, missing 7 tackles out of 38 attempts. Justin King was better (stats are unknown, but he was ranked higher than Thomas). Thomas looked horrible last year allowing tons of touchdowns, including the 80 yarder to Julio Jones.

this is the dumbest thing i have ever read.

Wow there really is a lot on that "article" that doesn't make any sense.

One, in his third year King started showing improvement as a tackler. But KT did not show improvement in 9 games so he cannot improve?

Two the idea that King is the same size as KT?

Justin King 5'9" 188lbs

KT 6'0" 192lbs.

Somehow KT allowing tons of TDs (4) yet King allowing a ton of TDs is okay because at least he's fast when he allows them.

And my favorite line, "and no teams are looking at him. The Colts should sign him." So the Colts should sign him because no other team thinks he's worth a roster spot? Heck, no team thinks I'm worth a roster spot, perhaps the Colts should sign me too.

Like I promised... oh and it's unedited.

The Colts have taken a look at former Rams cornerback Justin King. If signed, King would help the Colts in many ways.

Justin King was drafted in the 4th round in the 2008 NFL Draft. He was the 2nd fastest players at the combine, and the fastest cornerback with his 40 yard dash time of 4.31. King got a significant amount of playing time in his first sasonyear because of injuries to the starters. King missed his rookie season due to a torn ligament in his hallux. He showed signs of on-field immaturity and inexperience whether it was missing tackles or being a liability in coverage. He wasn't impressive. He was actually the 2nd worst tackling cornerback that season (behind Asante Samuel). Then, the following season, he missed eight games and didn't get a lot of action, but showed improvements in the tackling department. Then, this past season, he looked very solid when it came to tackling and showed improvements in the coverage department. He had his first interception this year.

He's getting better and better as the years go on, and he's still young at the age of 25. Now, that you know about him, I'll tell you why he could help the Colts.

The Colts are thin at the cornerback spot. With Jacob Lacey going to the Lions, the Colts are left 4 NFL ready cornerbacks (Powers, Rucker, Thomas, and Johnson). Even if he doesn't become a starter, he could provide much needed depth to a very thin postition, and a position that has had plenty of injuries in the past few years. Bodies are needed there.

Special Teams Help. Justin King is extremely fast, like I said, so you would think he's good on special teams. Right, but that's not always the case. He looked really solid the last few years on special teams and with his tackling getting better, he'll only get better there too. The Colts have one of the worst special team units in the leauge, and they lost their best special teamer in Jacob Tamme. King would be the first one down the field and one of the first to make the tackle.

Those are 3 big reasons why the Colts should sign him, and better yet, he's cheap. He definitely won't come for a lot of money because he was just released (difference from not being re-signed), and no teams are looking at him. The Colts should sign him.

I'm just sooo tempted to look up your old posts on Jacob Lacey, Asante Samuel, and Kevin Thomas.

One, in his third year King started showing improvement as a tackler. But KT did not show improvement in 9 games so he cannot improve?

Justin King 5'9" 188lbs

KT 6'0" 192lbs.

Somehow KT allowing tons of TDs (4) yet King allowing a ton of TDs is okay because at least he's fast when he allows them.

And my favorite line, "and no teams are looking at him. The Colts should sign him." So the Colts should sign him because no other team thinks he's worth a roster spot? Heck, no team thinks I'm worth a roster spot, perhaps the Colts should sign me too.

Bravo :thmup:

I don't understand

"King got significant playing time his first year. King missed his rookie season to an injury"

I meant to say 2nd year, that's my bad... that's why I said unedited :P

I'm just sooo tempted to look up your old posts on Jacob Lacey, Asante Samuel, and Kevin Thomas.

I've never been a fan of Thomas, and always thought he was overrated. I thought Lacey was a good nickelback, but a bad outside. I never wanted Asante Samuel.

Search it up all you want, I've always believed and stood behind that.

Actually, they didn't keep him because he's NOT a good player. I don't mind if we wind up signing this guy, but you're heralding a player who was ranked as the absolute worst corner in the NFL last season as a significant addition to our secondary, and at the same time denigrating Kevin Thomas. I don't get it.

Who says he's the worst corner in the NFL... I've got multiple sites and interviews saying that he "improved" and "looked good"

Don't judge a guy based on what some website said.

I'm telling you Kevin Thomas is not that good... I hope he proves me wrong this year, but he hasn't impressed me when he was in college or last year in the big leagues.

Justin King 5'9" 188lbs

KT 6'0" 192lbs.

I never said he couldn't improve... I just said that he didn't improve in the games he played this year.

Justin King is 5'11 (NFL.com), 6'0 wikipedia and 190 pounds.

Kevin Thomas is 6'0 and 193.

Get your facts straight!

Justin King didn't allow many TDs. Ron Bartell and Al Harris allowed a lot of the TDs last year.

Let me clear that up at the end. I said no teams are looking at him, so he won't come at an expensive price. Then when I said we should sign him, I said that line as it caps off the whole article; it was a closer line.

You're going to have to do much better than that.

this is the dumbest thing i have ever read.

Really? Because he's right. Thomas hasn't shown any potential since we drafted him. Maybe under Pagano he blooms, but as of what we've seen, he isn't that good. Did you ever watch him play?

Really? Because he's right. Thomas hasn't shown any potential since we drafted him. Maybe under Pagano he blooms, but as of what we've seen, he isn't that good. Did you ever watch him play?

cb is arguably the hardest transition from college to the pros. thomas was basically a rookie last year with zero otas or mini camp. the guy was thrown into the wolves what do you expect would happen. not to mention that crap defense that would make any corner look bad.

Who says he's the worst corner in the NFL... I've got multiple sites and interviews saying that he "improved" and "looked good"

I don't know if I can quit laughing long enough to reply to the rest of this. Yeah Superman don't judge a guy based on what some websites said about him, judge him by what Andy246's websites say about him.
I'm telling you Kevin Thomas is not that good... I hope he proves me wrong this year, but he hasn't impressed me when he was in college or last year in the big leagues.

Oh well, Andy246 said it so it is so.

I never said he couldn't improve... I just said that he didn't improve in the games he played this year.

Ahh but he did, even if you don't want to believe it.
Justin King is 5'11 (NFL.com), 6'0 wikipedia and 190 pounds.

Kevin Thomas is 6'0 and 193.

Get your facts straight!

Okay:

Fact

Sites differ. From watching him he doesn't look 5'11 and 200lbs.

Justin King didn't allow many TDs. Ron Bartell and Al Harris allowed a lot of the TDs last year.
Oh, I see
Let me clear that up at the end. I said no teams are looking at him, so he won't come at an expensive price. Then when I said we should sign him, I said that line as it caps off the whole article; it was a closer line.
Wow, a probowl corner that no team is looking at and the Colts can get cheaply. Fantastic.
You're going to have to do much better than that.

Why it's not MY article that is full of holes and mistakes.

I don't know if I can quit laughing long enough to reply to the rest of this. Yeah Superman don't judge a guy based on what some websites said about him, judge him by what Andy246's websites say about him.

My point was that I have multiple reputable sites saying he's "improved" and "looked good" and Superman is telling me he's bad because one website said so.

Oh well, Andy246 said it so it is so.

Watch tape, read articles...he didn't impress or improve

Ahh but he did, even if you don't want to believe it.

Oh well, coffeedrinker said it so it is so.

Okay:

Fact

Sites differ. From watching him he doesn't look 5'11 and 200lbs.

http://www.nfl.com/combine/profiles/justin-king?id=1726

http://www.nfl.com/player/justinking/1726/profile

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Justin_King_(American_football)

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/8878

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KingJu99.htm

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/players/34689/justin-king

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4833/justin-king

All those sites say he's 5'11 and the weight changes by a couple of pounds.

Oh, I see

I sense sarcasm. Just look at the stats and the Rams' games.

Wow, a probowl corner that no team is looking at and the Colts can get cheaply. Fantastic.

Alright... your acting stupid now. I never said he was a pro bowl center, and even after my explanation you don't understand it. How can I take you seriously.

Why it's not MY article that is full of holes and mistakes.

Your logic is full of holes and mistakes, and again you're wrong coffee.

I tried to quote your post and this is what happened. Quite fitting I believe.

A couple of points... What website did Superman mention?

Yes, I acknowledged that other sites had differing, I posted the site where I saw the 5'9" 188. Bravo for you.

I did look at the stats for the Rams games. I also looked at what the Rams did in the offseason. King was improving so much they signed an oft troubled CB, drafted another and released the one you think is so good.

Lastly, what part of my logic is wrong? So far I've pointed out the holes in your idea and guess what those holes are still there. What I feel is the same I feel about most lower tiered free agents, Colts should sign him... if they do it will be a one year, near vet minimum salary and if he earns a spot on the roster great, if not (which he probably won't) then the Colts are out nothing.

"Who says he's the worst corner in the NFL... I've got multiple sites and interviews saying that he "improved" and "looked good"

Don't judge a guy based on what some website said"

Dont those two lines contradict themselves?

All I hear is this guy is crap. Worst rated corner on pro football focus (but what do I know? Its a website right?). I bet if he ran an average 4.4 or 4.5 you wouldnt post about him. and KT was basically a rookie this year. He graded out better than King for the 2011 season. I believe he will improve and let King keep that "worst-rated corner" tag.

I tried to quote your post and this is what happened. Quite fitting I believe.

That was rude. Let's try to keep this civil, don't get too upset, it's the internet.

A couple of points... What website did Superman mention?

No idea.

Yes, I acknowledged that other sites had differing, I posted the site where I saw the 5'9" 188. Bravo for you.

Merci beaucoup.

I did look at the stats for the Rams games. I also looked at what the Rams did in the offseason. King was improving so much they signed an oft troubled CB, drafted another and released the one you think is so good.

They signed Al Harris because they needed bodies. They drafted Jenkins and Johnson because half of their CBs that were on the roster at the end of the year were gone. Then King just finished his final year of his contract, and it wasn't worth signing him because they wouldn't really use him much with Johnson, Jenkins, and Finnegan starting.

Lastly, what part of my logic is wrong? So far I've pointed out the holes in your idea and guess what those holes are still there. What I feel is the same I feel about most lower tiered free agents, Colts should sign him... if they do it will be a one year, near vet minimum salary and if he earns a spot on the roster great, if not (which he probably won't) then the Colts are out nothing.

The points that you pointed out were either wrong or inaccurate. Lower tiered? More like low risk-high reward.

^^^^^^

Remember, let's try to keep this civil. I know you don't like me, but be mature.

"Who says he's the worst corner in the NFL... I've got multiple sites and interviews saying that he "improved" and "looked good"

Don't judge a guy based on what some website said"

Dont those two lines contradict themselves?

All I hear is this guy is crap. Worst rated corner on pro football focus (but what do I know? Its a website right?). I bet if he ran an average 4.4 or 4.5 you wouldnt post about him. and KT was basically a rookie this year. He graded out better than King for the 2011 season. I believe he will improve and let King keep that "worst-rated corner" tag.

No because my point was that base a guy off multiple websites and watching him play, not from reading an analysis from ONE site.

Justin King was pretty good at penn state. idk how he did with st.louis, but he could be a good pick up for the colts. maybe end up on the opposite end of powers.

You're right!

Low risk high reward is a big reason why we should sign him.

Look...let's just be honest. If the guy was pretty good he would have been resigned cheaply by the Rams instead of them spending 10 million dollars on an aging vet cb and spending a high second round draft pick on a very risky cb. Not only that they have other cbs on their team but he isn't better then them either.

Now I am not saying Kevin Thomas is any better. All I know is we already have some investment in the kid and this is definately not an upgrade if we were to sign him. I agree this is just like the Avery thing all over. "BUT HIS COMBINE NUMBERS AND 40..." don't mean squat. If either makes the team I would be very surprised. Avery is injury prone and was superbly below avg even when he did play and King was even worse. Do they have potential...of course..that is why they got drafted and are in the NFL...have either shown any realistic hope of reaching that potential...that is a lot less clear.

I am all for anyone that makes the team better but we have a very bad problem of running down our guys and coaches without knowing any inside details of the team and also making out every FA to be the next Ronnie Lott, Deshan Jackson, and Orlando Pace. Teams certainly make mistakes all the time releasing guys that turn out to become great but more often than not they get rid of the trash. I remember us saying Clark and Addai are washed up yet other teams signed them. Well that is what other teams feel about these guys. They are cast offs and for whatever reason they don't fit their needs...mostly because they aren't an upgrade over what they have. The truth is somewhere in the middle but we need to temper our expectations on both sides.

I think if we said this guy could have a chance at the roster (which even itself is an outside shot) it would at least come across a lot better than this guy should start for us. Everyone wants to prove their point and we start bickering but the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Like...this kid has been had a poor start to his career but had flashes of improvement. He is worth looking at because he has potential but will have to do a lot to earn a spot on the team. Let's see if he can impress anyone in camp because his career so far won't land him a spot. To me..that is the closest to the truth.

http://mobile.stampedeblue.com/2012/5/21/3034095/colts-kick-tires-around-cb-justin-king

Here's Stampede Blue(yea Stampede Blue) saying that according to Pro Football Focus King is a terrible corner and arguably the worst in the NFL

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4833/justin-king

And here is Rotoworld saying the samething

http://www.49erswebzone.com/commentary/1006-free-agent-cbs-keep-eye/

So we should only sign young low risk high reward players if they're guaranteed to make the pro bowl? And he doesn't look at all 5'9. He would be a good pickup IMO. Just calm down, no need to get in a big fight with Andy over nothing.

How about you just watch the two play? I have. I paid plenty of attention to Kevin Thomas all season long, and just rewatched all of the Colts games last season with special focus on the defensive scheme and how it affected the secondary and the pass rush. I've also watched four or five Rams games recently (I've watched at least that many from everyone here in the past couple of months).

You keep saying that Kevin Thomas is not that good. I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but it doesn't matter. I'm not voting him into the Pro Bowl. I'm just saying that he looked good playing man coverage, and he deserves some real coaching with a real defensive game plan. And based on my cursory observations of King, Thomas is better. But the comparison is irrelevant. All I'm saying is that Kevin Thomas is not as bad as he's made out to be, either in general or specifically in your original post.

Going back to the touchdowns that Julio Jones scored...

The first was a 50 yard bomb that Jones had to lay out for, and it had to be reviewed. Awesome catch by a really good athlete. But you know who's assignment that was? Antoine Bethea. It was deep shell coverage, probably Cover 3, with Thomas playing off seven or eight yards from the line at the snap. He turned and ran with Jones and was in the area, but the pass landed at the right hash, which would be the safety's responsibility. That Thomas was in the area is a testament to his ability to run down the field with one of the best athletes in the league, and he was the only one who actually saw the ball. Bethea and Powers both overran the ball and the receiver. Thomas didn't play it as well as he should have, but he wasn't beat for a touchdown. It was zone coverage, and it was the safety's zone that the ball went to.

post-41-0-13953200-1337666058_thumb.jpg

The second was an 80 yard catch and run by Julio Jones. Again, against a seven yard cushion. It looked like it was actually man coverage with a linebacker blitz that never got close to Matt Ryan, but Jones ran a quick slant from the right side and Thomas was never anywhere near him. Jones outran the entire secondary down the field (including the deep safeties, whose job it is to prevent big gains in the passing game, especially when you're in Man 2 coverage with a blitz, leaving one eligible receiver uncovered). Why would you give a seven yard cushion on first down ever, but especially when you're playing Man 2? By the way, if you can go back and watch this play, you should see how poorly Bethea and Lefeged close out on Jones, the pitiful angles they took. I like Bethea, and I think Lefeged has promise, but they completely whiffed on this play. Thomas got beat because the scheme placed him almost ten yards away from his man when the ball was snapped.

post-41-0-46433300-1337666088_thumb.jpg

These are the situations that make me wonder what our coaching staff was watching/thinking all last season. But when you watch the games, and you pay attention to what's happening, you recognize that the catches our corners gave up weren't a testament to how poor their coverage was. All those catches were a testament to how our coaching staff and schemes neutered our defenders. I said this over and over again all last season.

I have family members who are big Rams fans and are season ticket holders in St. Louis. I have seen just about every Rams game for the past several seasons, and I attended several of their home games in person last year.

I can say with confidence that Justin King is every bit as bad as advertised. Heck, in my opinion, he's worse than advertised. The Colts are kicking the tires, and that's good. Colts are thin at CB, and there's no harm in checking out who's available. Maybe Pagano can get something more out of King than Spags could...but let's just say I have my doubts. :)

1. I foresee this thread perhaps getting cleaned up a bit by the mods due to some pretty obvious person shots.

2. If King does truly have good upside then I'd be all for him, depends what our staff thinks. I'm a firm believer in stacking the team with the best players we can find. A lot of teams get a good starting squad and then back-ups, but kind of stop after that (they leave a lot of camp bodies to UDFA's and failed draft picks). It takes a lot of extra effort and time to go out of your way to find those cost-effective players who can really improve the overall team. This is one of the things that's really gotten me to like Grigs. When he says he wants to build a better team he means it. He's not just trying to build the best starting team.

So we should only sign young low risk high reward players if they're guaranteed to make the pro bowl? And he doesn't look at all 5'9. He would be a good pickup IMO. Just calm down, no need to get in a big fight with Andy over nothing.

Agreed. I just don't see how people can argue against getting him unless they found an article saying Grigs wasn't impressed. He's cheap, has upside, has his prime still ahead of him, and he can compete.

No need to sign a Corner, we got what we got let see how they all do this season and draft Amerson next year if we are in position to do that

I like the idea of Thomas and Rucker getting their chance, and they will, but why not bring in a cheap guy to compete and see how he does? Since this article is kind of all theoretical anyways, if it's was within financial reason, why not exhaust every option we can find to try and help improve the roster.