Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why the Colts Should Sign Justin King

Andy

Agreed. I just don't see how people can argue against getting him unless they found an article saying Grigs wasn't impressed. He's cheap, has upside, has his prime still ahead of him, and he can compete.

I like the idea of Thomas and Rucker getting their chance, and they will, but why not bring in a cheap guy to compete and see how he does? Since this article is kind of all theoretical anyways, if it's was within financial reason, why not exhaust every option we can find to try and help improve the roster.

We could if we had the money, it wouldnt hurt but my guess and this is just a guess is that it wouldnt be for more then 2 years probably at the most seeing as how he likely is just depth. wow does it stink we are talking about depth so much at Corner instead of a big name draft pick we could have picked up at Corner lol.

So we should only sign young low risk high reward players if they're guaranteed to make the pro bowl? And he doesn't look at all 5'9. He would be a good pickup IMO. Just calm down, no need to get in a big fight with Andy over nothing.

No, it's called sarcasm. It does not come across well on the internet and I'm not good at using emoticons.

Yes I realize that. I was saying it can't hurt to pick him up, even if he isn't great.

I agree and that is why I also typed this, "What I feel is the same I feel about most lower tiered free agents, Colts should sign him... if they do it will be a one year, near vet minimum salary and if he earns a spot on the roster great, if not (which he probably won't) then the Colts are out nothing."

Yes I realize that. I was saying it can't hurt to pick him up, even if he isn't great.

I don't think anyone has a problem with the team bringing in most anyone who has an up-side.

I think the issue is more with the authority, and reasoning under which it's being recommended what the Colts SHOULD do.

Bring him in. I don't care. If he makes it, great. If not, no biggie.

How about you just watch the two play? I have. I paid plenty of attention to Kevin Thomas all season long, and just rewatched all of the Colts games last season with special focus on the defensive scheme and how it affected the secondary and the pass rush. I've also watched four or five Rams games recently (I've watched at least that many from everyone here in the past couple of months).

You keep saying that Kevin Thomas is not that good. I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but it doesn't matter. I'm not voting him into the Pro Bowl. I'm just saying that he looked good playing man coverage, and he deserves some real coaching with a real defensive game plan. And based on my cursory observations of King, Thomas is better. But the comparison is irrelevant. All I'm saying is that Kevin Thomas is not as bad as he's made out to be, either in general or specifically in your original post.

Going back to the touchdowns that Julio Jones scored...

The first was a 50 yard bomb that Jones had to lay out for, and it had to be reviewed. Awesome catch by a really good athlete. But you know who's assignment that was? Antoine Bethea. It was deep shell coverage, probably Cover 3, with Thomas playing off seven or eight yards from the line at the snap. He turned and ran with Jones and was in the area, but the pass landed at the right hash, which would be the safety's responsibility. That Thomas was in the area is a testament to his ability to run down the field with one of the best athletes in the league, and he was the only one who actually saw the ball. Bethea and Powers both overran the ball and the receiver. Thomas didn't play it as well as he should have, but he wasn't beat for a touchdown. It was zone coverage, and it was the safety's zone that the ball went to.

post-41-0-13953200-1337666058_thumb.jpg

The second was an 80 yard catch and run by Julio Jones. Again, against a seven yard cushion. It looked like it was actually man coverage with a linebacker blitz that never got close to Matt Ryan, but Jones ran a quick slant from the right side and Thomas was never anywhere near him. Jones outran the entire secondary down the field (including the deep safeties, whose job it is to prevent big gains in the passing game, especially when you're in Man 2 coverage with a blitz, leaving one eligible receiver uncovered). Why would you give a seven yard cushion on first down ever, but especially when you're playing Man 2? By the way, if you can go back and watch this play, you should see how poorly Bethea and Lefeged close out on Jones, the pitiful angles they took. I like Bethea, and I think Lefeged has promise, but they completely whiffed on this play. Thomas got beat because the scheme placed him almost ten yards away from his man when the ball was snapped.

post-41-0-46433300-1337666088_thumb.jpg

These are the situations that make me wonder what our coaching staff was watching/thinking all last season. But when you watch the games, and you pay attention to what's happening, you recognize that the catches our corners gave up weren't a testament to how poor their coverage was. All those catches were a testament to how our coaching staff and schemes neutered our defenders. I said this over and over again all last season.

Nice break down Superman and good examples.

Also, for anyone who is new to this board and may not know, Superman has not been a fan of Coyer or the Cover 2 for a long time. He does an excellent job breaking down a defense and explaining things, to the point where, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has changed my opinions on things based on Superman's explanation.

^^^^^^

Remember, let's try to keep this civil. I know you don't like me, but be mature.

I didn't do anything un-civil, because of the way you quoted the post, when I went to quote it that is how it came up. I thought it was funny.

Also since we've run the JK discussion into the ground, I will say. I like you just fine Andy246. I think you're a good Colts fan and a lot of fun to have on the forum. I just don't think you are as good at scouting players and you think you are and when I see holes in logic I will point them out.

Also, for anyone who is new to this board and may not know, Superman has not been a fan of Coyer or the Cover 2 for a long time. He does an excellent job breaking down a defense and explaining things, to the point where, I'm sure I'm not the only one who has changed my opinions on things based on Superman's explanation.

Just to clarify, I don't have a problem with Cover 2 in general. I recognize that most NFL defenses play a plethora of coverages, including Cover 2. It's a useful scheme in a lot of situations. Same thing for the Tampa 2 iteration of this coverage. But I don't think any team should play as much of this coverage as we have in the past couple of years, and I especially don't think any defense should give such large cushions as regularly as we did.

And then my problem with Coyer was that he seemed bi-polar, and couldn't figure out whether he wanted to be an aggressive play-caller or a conservative play-caller. And when he was more aggressive, it was often ineffective. He was probably handcuffed by his bosses, but it was his defense and he has to own it.