Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Micah Pellerin (Merge)

lollygagger8

SCOUTING REPORTS ON MICAH PELLERIN

Dane Brugler, NFLDraftScout.com, Practice Notes from the East West Shrine Game stated:

Another cornerback from the FCS level who has flashed is Hampton's Micah Pellerin. Like Norman, he has a tall, lean frame (6 feet, 195 pounds), but not as much bulk. Pellerin struggled a bit with his footwork in coverage drills, but he's decisive in his movements with a smooth backpedal, getting to top speed quickly. He played with confidence on the field and didn't back down or look tentative against Big Ten receivers A.J. Jenkins [first round draft choice of the 49ers] and B.J. Cunningham.”

Wes Bunting’s Practice Notes from East-West Shrine Game stated:

Small-school CB Micah Pellerin displayed a great feel in coverage Monday during one-on-one sessions. He’s slow in his drop, exhibits a good closing burst and despite getting a bit leggy at times he had the length to get his hands on a lot of footballs. Looks like a potential NFL starter at 6-0, 195.”

Ranking the Top 10 prospects from East-West Shrine Game, the National Football Post stated:

Just missed the cut: Hampton CB Micah Pellerin (6-1, 195) -- A tall, good-looking corner who can turn and run, and showcases good quickness/feel in off man coverage. Has a tendency to get a bit overextended when trying to get out of his breaks and close. However, he displays a "plus" burst when driving on throws and uses his length well to get after the football.”

NFL.com’s Pre Combine Analysis of Pellerin states:

“[Pellerin] displays his athletic ability when working to defend once the ball is in the air. He will need some developmental time covering bigger and faster receivers at the next level, but at 6 feet tall he won't get beat physically and is a strong player in all facets of the game.

Pellerin has speed and is a very technical defender in his back pedal and can ignite a powerful drive leg to come forward out of his back pedal and drive on the ball.” As a cover guy, he likes to play off, probably too far off for the next level [Hampton's base coverage was Cover 3], but he is good to turn and run in a receivers hips once he gives up his cushion. He has speed to recover when beat initially off the line playing press and is an athlete when it comes to making a play on the ball.”

“He isn't physical in run support and struggles to get off blocks. This will be a major problem for him at the next level.”

Kris Kouffman writing for the Bleacher Report states:

Hampton has a reputation for putting out some surprising NFL contributors, and Pellerin should be the next among them. I saw the player live in East-West Shrine practices and he stood out as a smooth athlete with great frame and some ability to move and stay in the receiver's hip pocket. I believe he should make Indianapolis' final 53-man roster.”

By all accounts, the best thing this guy can do is cover. With the move to a 3-4 defensive scheme, the Colts certainly need all the cover corners they can get. Though he gets knocked for not being physical in run support, ESPN’s analysis of Pellerin's game suggests:

“He is willing [to tackle] but simply lacks the size, strength and technique at this point. Angles are inconsistent and he needs to do a better job breaking down to secure a tackle.”

With professional level coaching, (something each of the UDFA DB's need) Pellerin has a chance to make a 53 man roster at corner.

Just got some hype on the NFL network as one of the top defensive UDFA that will make a team from Steve Wyche. Nice to hear compliments. We have received really high praise on just about all of our players from rounds 4-7. Seemed we got a lot of value out of those picks.

Just got some hype on the NFL network as one of the top defensive UDFA that will make a team from Steve Wyche. Nice to hear compliments. We have received really high praise on just about all of our players from rounds 4-7. Seemed we got a lot of value out of those picks.

Yeah, I was pleased to see that. If he has a shot to make any team, it's the Colts.

As far as value, that all remains to be seen, but I'm very happy with the direction the team is taking.

Lolly....just reached my quota of likes....

As we know, Pagano knows defense. He, Grigson, and AJ Foyt 4 sat down over a steak.....Grandpa came over, took the steak and told 4 to get in a race car...HMMMM....Lolly....I hope I made you laugh!!

I was looking into him before the draft for my scouting report on cbs but I couldnt find any film online. So I asked around and people liked him but I still dont know much. Should make the our team as a safety he has potential.

From what it sounds like, he'll be something of a Tweener Safety/Hybrid Corner. I like him in on Nickel packages.....if he pans out that is. I also liked Lefeged last year, and would like to see how Rucker/Thomas stack up in the new regime.

Since we did not draft a CB letem ride Thomas is very athletic along with Rucker let's see what real coaching can do for them.Then we can address CB need in FA or draft next year.We need to wait and see this year,then draft and pick up the few pieces we need next.Or drop Freeney sign an OLB. CB.Jones is out there there will be others.I just do not see it taking more than 2 years to be back at top of AFC South.

I was looking into him before the draft for my scouting report on cbs but I couldnt find any film online. So I asked around and people liked him but I still dont know much. Should make the our team as a safety he has potential.

i found game footage of him on youtube.....only issue is they show every CB lol

Lolly....just reached my quota of likes....

As we know, Pagano knows defense. He, Grigson, and AJ Foyt 4 sat down over a steak.....Grandpa came over, took the steak and told 4 to get in a race car...HMMMM....Lolly....I hope I made you laugh!!

Hahahaaha you did Brent!