Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Who did Chuck want?

wabbwubb

I just heard Irsey on TV say the Draft room go alittle heated a defensive player came off the board right before they drafted. He said Chuck really wanted the guy. He said some choice words got up and slammed the door....

Here are the Defensive guys taken right before we drafted today

Round 5 pick 34

Asa Jackson (CB) BLT

Round 6 pick 35

Billy Winn (DT) CLV

Round 7 pick 6

Richard Crawford (CB) WASH

So what player did the colts want really bad and missed out on.....?

I just heard Irsey on TV say the Draft room go alittle heated a defensive player came off the board right before they drafted. He said Chuck really wanted the guy and got up slammed the door. Also said a few choice words.

Round 5 pick 34

Asa Jackson (CB) BLT

Round 6 pick 35

Billy Winn (DT) CLV

Round 7 pick 6

He was telling that story this morning and said it happened yesterday in the third round and said they were trying to move up to get him. I know Irsay has said they missed out a couple of guys today as well so maybe it's happened more than once. There is that fire everyone wanted :).

Billy Winn

If it happened a couple of times today, my guess is Asa Jackson and Billy Winn.

I owe Polian an apology. I felt Pat Angerer was a reach when he picked him. But then, Polian had a good sense of where a player might go and had a bunch of reaches in his drafting career. Angerer and Hayden come to mind. Hayden was rated round 5 CB from Illinois, Angerer was rated round 4 LB from Iowa. Both of them were drafted in round 2. In Angerer's case the Cowboys got Sean Lee and Cardinals got Daryl Washington a tad earlier than expected just before the Colts got Angerer.

Maybe it is Grigson's inexperience as a GM not recognizing the fact that the others may have an eye on the same player and if there is a risk of losing the player, just go ahead and reach by a round and get him if you believe in him. I dont know that for a fact but based on the above examples with Polian's drafting (and several others if I dig deep into it), I am inclined to think that GMs have to be pro-active in the draft once they perceive there is a run on certain positions. Missing by 1 spot or missing by 21 spots is the same to me if you miss out on a player that you expect to be there. So, just go ahead and get Asa Jackson with No.136 if you feel good about him, and Billy Winn at No.170 if you feel good about him (hypothetical examples). I personally would not have minded that at all. Reaching for a round 5 guy in round 4 and a round 6 guy in round 5 is not a reach in the long scheme of things, so they should have went after the ones they wanted.

Just my take on it.

If it was Billy Wynn then there's no one to blame but themselves. The guy sat in the top 5 of BPA (according to Kiper's board) for quite a while. I really doubt it was Wynn. If it happened yesterday then I'm thinking maybe Vinny Curry or Casey Hayward.

I feel bad for Chuck, we bring in a defensive coach and then we get him nothing to work with in the draft

He's got Freeney, Mathis, Bethea and Angerer and a few new defenders. I'm sure he wanted at least one hot new toy, but I'm sure he understands the philosophy.

With that said, I wonder if he was ticked at Grigs for not taking his guy when he was available and gambling to get him later? Kinda sounds like it. Either way, I'm more than happy to have an "angry" coach. First time for that since "PLAYOFFS?"....

I thought i read at the bottom of the screen during the draft that they were looking at crawford. i could be wrong. something about they see him having revis potential. but again im not sure and i could be wrong on that.

Crawford is a DE and Revis is a CB. Not getting the connection???

Are you talking about Casey Hayward???

just realized that this Justin Anderson from Georgia is a 6-foot-5, 342 pounds..342lbs is too big to play tackle in the NFL so expect him to play guard if he is anything sort of decent in the preseason he can challenge for a guard spot on his run blocking ability but gotta see what he can do in the offseason

I just heard Irsey on TV say the Draft room go alittle heated a defensive player came off the board right before they drafted. He said Chuck really wanted the guy. He said some choice words got up and slammed the door....

Round 5 pick 34

Asa Jackson (CB) BLT

Round 6 pick 35

Billy Winn (DT) CLV

Round 7 pick 6

Pagano got a beast of a nose tackle in Chapman, and I really liked all the other picks the Colts made on Day 3 except for Brazill. That's the one guy I'm not too sold on. But if you think about it, I know we could have used an extra CB or two, but I think we really should give our secondary a chance to learn under Pagano in the new hybrid defense. By that I mean give Powers, Thomas, Rucker, etc. all a chance before we decide our secondary is garbage. I especially feel getting Dwayne Allen in the 3rd was a steal.

Round 5 pick 34

Asa Jackson (CB) BLT

Round 6 pick 35

Billy Winn (DT) CLV

Round 7 pick 6

It happened in round 3. The player we were after was Jake Bequette, a DE from Arkansas. He went to the Patriots 2 picks before us. High motor guy that would have thrived in Pagano's D.

I am sure that this occured in 31 other draft rooms over the 3 days as well. There are a lot of players in the draft, a lot of needs to try to fill with a limited number of picks to do it. 31 other teams with same varying needs and viewing the same players. There is no way you can get everyone they are looking for. I LOVE the draft picks and results this year, LOOK forward to the upcoming season, and ANXIOUS to track our draft progress this time next year. :coltslogo::td::applause: