Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts at Texans post game

GoColts8818

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Just to clarify he is 48.5% completion on the season before this game, which will likely go down after being 31.25% today. 

I should've clarified that more. I ment mid-50s on short/intermediate throws.

• Thanks 1

I'm afraid it has only begun. Listening to AR in his press conferences , it's like he's in denial and he referenced Vick today and his stats...What!!! Like Vick was some great QB, r u kidding me. People, AR is HISTORICALLY BAD right now and he's just clueless like there's always next week until there isn't. SS looks like he is in disbelief on what the hell has happened with AR's regression and has no clue what to do so he keeps searching for answers....Over the next 6 weeks, this is going to get real ugly because now the national media is starting to pile on and the pressure is going to keep mounting while the local media tries to be nice guys Eventually we will either lose the lockeroom or they will give in and bench AR..They could always do what Ballard's teams are good at , keeping their mouth shut and just accept losing with class. It's going to be a long while before this team is contending for anything but I have to tell you that Ballard is a hell of a salesman. If he can drag another season out of Irsay after this debacle, trust me it's coming, Ballard should go to the HOF for that alone and Irsay should go to a nursery home. Worst possible is if this team plays flacco and they go 8-9 and pick 15th again. That's what keeps average teams average.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

He threw the bombs.  There were other options

He can't trust his eyes in time to vision tight NFL windows and there is no way AR is confident he can throw accurately enough to beat tight NFL coverage. He still slings it and we see PD's and wild throws. 

It's to the point of feeling sorry for the Charismatic kid that everyone roots for.

He is our point guard that makes 44% of his free throws and can't run the offense. 

He's a sophomore, give him cleanup duty for now. It's a year and a half and we are just now getting him to slide. Some. He is a long way from getting it.

Let alone from being able to do NFL football 101. 

Me, I say play him. Beat it into him while improving our draft position.

Ugly could lead to regime change as the fans Will stay home for this horse ....play!

Life is tough sometimes. How could you not think of Curt P. today? Ugh!

Fire the QB coach. No?

Fire our Cooter then!

Fire Shane bring back the Coot.

Get me Jeff's #

Trade Flacco for Gardner. This is supposed to be entertainment not watching Grandpa die.

We have options, who said we don’t got no stinking options?

• Thanks 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

The kid is a freak athlete.   No question.   The sack he got out of before he came out of the game will haunt that d lineman the rest of his days.   He makes some really bad decisions though.  I want him to succeed and I agree he needs to play.   It has to be frustrating to his teammates though.   If Flacco plays,  we win that game.  The defense played great

I think after today's game, his team mates need to look at themselves as well. Oline got owned by the Dline. Receivers dropped balls. Taylor was the only guy who brought it. I have no idea what has happened to the tight ends.  They are completely MIA after being hyped up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DavePSL said:

I'm afraid it has only begun. Listening to AR in his press conferences , it's like he's in denial and he referenced Vick today and his stats...What!!! Like Vick was some great QB, r u kidding me. People, AR is HISTORICALLY BAD right now and he's just clueless like there's always next week until there isn't. SS looks like he is in disbelief on what the hell has happened with AR's regression and has no clue what to do so he keeps searching for answers....Over the next 6 weeks, this is going to get real ugly because now the national media is starting to pile on and the pressure is going to keep mounting while the local media tries to be nice guys Eventually we will either lose the lockeroom or they will give in and bench AR..They could always do what Ballard's teams are good at , keeping their mouth shut and just accept losing with class. It's going to be a long while before this team is contending for anything but I have to tell you that Ballard is a hell of a salesman. If he can drag another season out of Irsay after this debacle, trust me it's coming, Ballard should go to the HOF for that alone and Irsay should go to a nursery home. Worst possible is if this team plays flacco and they go 8-9 and pick 15th again. That's what keeps average teams average.

While I agree about the average part, drafting number 4 sure hasn’t had the instant turn around some wanted either

• Like 3

Just now, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

One more thing before I leave. We ran for 166 yards on only 20 runs. That should of been at least 15 more runs.

I'm not sure about 20.  But I agree we should have ran a lot more

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I think after today's game, his team mates need to look at themselves as well. Oline got owned by the Dline. Receivers dropped balls. Taylor was the only guy who brought it. I have no idea what has happened to the tight ends.  They are completely MIA after being hyped up.

Looks to me that the TEs are being asked to block cause the OL can’t do squat. Plus Mallory dropped a sure wide open 1st down too

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

You’re in denial about how bad he is. Manning completed 56.7% of his passes his rookie year. Richardson is at 44%. One or two more games like this and he’ll be in the 30s. It is not the same situation. To my knowledge, there is no history of a QB being this bad turning it around. Even Darnold, Manziel, Rosen, etc… were not this bad. 44% is horrible. His stats compare favorably to Jamarcus Russell. I’m not even joking.

I am not comparing their stats. I am making a comparison in that the team is going to run with them no matter what. Russell failed because he was an *.

Just now, Solid84 said:

Drops are passes hitting WRs in the hands. That's a WR problem.

Thanks for that definition, I would have never guessed lol. 

well you can throw the ball where it’s a contested pass or you can throw it where your guy can catch it and no one else can or throw it in stride so the receiver doesn’t have to slow down or make a significantly harder catch. 

AKA ball placement matters

• Like 1

Time to bench AR before the season and his career is ruined.

Outside of ARs obviously accuracy problem that needs fixed in practice not on meaningful games, you gotta protect the team.  I don't see guys like JT, Pittman, or Buckner wanting to stick around.  Flacco should have played in this must win game.  Now you got a brutal stretch coming.  You gonna feed AR to the Lions?

1 minute ago, bluebombers87 said:

JT had one for 28 yards. AR contributed 45 yards (one for 26 yards). Downs had 13.

JT alone got us 77. That’s pretty effective for stopping a premier back. 105 yards on the ground from your RB isn’t gonna win you games. Good try!

Not one person is going to look at the stat line and think “man the Texans stopped the colts run game.” Not one person that watched it should be thinking, man we should have thrown it more. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make, but man, I think those of us that are calling for more running are justified. those of us calling for a run on 3rd and 3 deep in your territory when throwing a short pass led to 7 giftwrapped points are pretty justified when running was effective. take away the two big plays you mention. 24 carries for 109 yards. Hm. Seems like it was still effective man. Again, I don’t know what point you are trying to make 

1 minute ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Can't argue that.   I'm not sure about the TEs.  I don't have all 22.  So I don't know if they were open or not.   I saw JT open in the flat a bunch, and AR didn't go to him

Just now, Solid84 said:

Drops are passes hitting WRs in the hands. That's a WR problem.

There was that, but also some great defensive plays.  He threw some into very tight window that got knocked away.  No seperation. 

One thing I don’t understand is on 3rd and long, why not have a quick slant?  They tee off on AR on 3rd down while he’s waiting for our receivers to go downfield.  

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Can't argue that.   I'm not sure about the TEs.  I don't have all 22.  So I don't know if they were open or not.   I saw JT open in the flat a bunch, and AR didn't go to him

Yeah saw that to. Is he a little like Luck and looking for the big play? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

Thanks for that definition, I would have never guessed lol. 

But you still want to make it solely an AR problem though?

well you can throw the ball where it’s a contested pass or you can throw it where your guy can catch it and no one else can or throw it in stride so the receiver doesn’t have to slow down or make a significantly harder catch. 

Sure, which is something he'll have to learn. The WRs could also make more plays. It can't be that Downs is our only WR who can reliably catch a ball?

AKA ball placement matters

It most definitely does. 👍

3 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

There was that, but also some great defensive plays.  He threw some into very tight window that got knocked away.  No seperation. 

One thing I don’t understand is on 3rd and long, why not have a quick slant?  They tee off on AR on 3rd down while he’s waiting for our receivers to go downfield.  

Touch and ball placement is something he'll either learn or bust. I just don't get why all of a sudden Downs is the only WR catching balls. I don't believe that's only an AR problem.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Solid84 said:

A lot of those deflections and PBUs came because he either threw late or threw to receivers who were covered, which he loves doing.

Also all receivers drop passes. Dropped passes aren’t why he’s completing less than 50% of his passes. We can’t rush to make excuses every time he plays bad and make it seem like if these 6 or 7 bad things never happened, all would be forgiven. It shouldn’t be on his receivers and OL to play flawless football every down because he’s terrible.

1 minute ago, ColtStrong2013 said:

Not one person is going to look at the stat line and think “man the Texans stopped the colts run game.” Not one person that watched it should be thinking, man we should have thrown it more. I’m not sure what point you are trying to make, but man, I think those of us that are calling for more running are justified. those of us calling for a run on 3rd and 3 deep in your territory when throwing a short pass led to 7 giftwrapped points are pretty justified when running was effective. take away the two big plays you mention. 24 carries for 109 yards. Hm. Seems like it was still effective man. Again, I don’t know what point you are trying to make 

I thought I was pretty clear. You aren’t winning the game on 160 yards. JT had 105. Our injury prone QB gave us 45, and Downs (on I assume an end around) gave us 13. JT’s average was about 4 per carry without the one long run. Not great but not terrible. More runs wouldn’t equal that many yards either. If you told me the Texans would hold JT to 105 yards, and if that would mean a win or a loss, I’d say it’s a toss up.

16 minutes ago, Restinpeacesweetchloe said:

Shane is giving him too much. He needs to simplify things and stop treating him like a vet.

Maybe Shane should chew his food for him or do his laundry? Guess what, he is supposed to be a QB. This reminds me of when the Colts took a soccer player from Zimbabwe and tried to make him a linebacker. Projects never work out. The Colts front office could not pick a winner in a one horse race.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

A lot of those deflections and PBUs came because he either threw late or threw to receivers who were covered, which he loves doing.

Also all receivers drop passes. Dropped passes aren’t why he’s completing less than 50% of his passes. We can’t rush to make excuses every time he plays bad and make it seem like if these 6 or 7 bad things never happened, all would be forgiven. It shouldn’t be on his receivers and OL to play flawless football every down because he’s terrible.

A wr having a ball hit hook in the hands, then immediately hits hands are karate chopped isn't a drop imo.  It's just a great play by the defense 

2 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

I thought I was pretty clear. You aren’t winning the game on 160 yards. JT had 105. Our injury prone QB gave us 45, and Downs (on I assume an end around) gave us 13. JT’s average was about 4 per carry without the one long run. Not great but not terrible. More runs wouldn’t equal that many yards either. If you told me the Texans would hold JT to 105 yards, and if that would mean a win or a loss, I’d say it’s a toss up.

The Texans had 96 rushing yards.   160 as a team is very good

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Flash7 said:

Not enough people understand route concepts. When AR throws deep, it's not because Steichen told him to. 

Steichen calls a play with several routes. Most likely, they are short, intermediate, and deep. AR chooses the deep passes because they are easy reads. He has trouble making reads closer to the LOS because there are more defenders there.

Then maybe AR should not have that choice.   He should be told to take the 5 yards.  We need more first downs.

• Like 1

Just now, jvan1973 said:

A wr having a ball hit hook in the hands, then immediately hits hands are karate chopped isn't a drop imo.  It's just a great play by the defense 

No it’s a bad throw. Sometimes a late throw. If you throw the ball when the receiver doesn’t have a DB draped over him, that doesn’t happen.

Just now, Defjamz26 said:

No it’s a bad throw. Sometimes a late throw. If you throw the ball when the receiver doesn’t have a DB draped over him, that doesn’t happen.

I don't think it's a bad throw.   It's giving your wr a chance.   But I don't think it's a drop

3 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I don't think AR has been good enough and he needs to do better. I've said so multiple times. But people are placing too much blame on a rookie QB, when our HC doesn't playcall to help him, our WRs aren't catching balls (or causing untimely penalties) and our TEs are non-existent. The supporting cast aren't supporting. Yes AR needs to do waaay better, but the whole offense is failing, not just AR.

6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

You were not clear. 

If you would have told me Anthony Richardson was going to throw 32 times when we were running 6 ypc, I would tell you we would lose. Almost guaranteed. It’s awful. 

add in holding the Texans to 23 points, it’s even worse. Worse than awful. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

That’s the official stat line 

I miss quoted her.   I meant I'm not sure he should have called 15 more runs.    He should have called a lot more in the first half.   I'm guessing AR executed the game plan much better in practice than he did today.   I can't believe we didn't pound it more.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IndySouthsider said:

lol development year. He’s beyond development. He’s a bust 

He's brutal to watch.  In the end, the NFL is a QB league.  No QB, no bueno.  Look no further than Bill Belichick without Brady...Penthouse to Outhouse by way of one position.  This isn't about Ballard or Steichen (yes, they have there own issues), this is about a young guy who we hoped would be better than his tape and live up to his measurables. 

To date, the tape didn't lie.

To your point, I like QB's to be boom or bust, this one looks like a bust...the good news is that leaves no doubt that we still need to go find a QB in the draft, our search is NOT over.  That's good to know!  We can't be prideful just because of his draft position. We only fail if we convince ourselves that our eyes and the stats are lying and we stop looking for our future QB.

At the same time, we have this kid for 4-5 years...I'm not sure what the rush is, he's still the youngest QB in the league.  Currently, we may be doing more damage than good (to him) by playing him, he seems to be regressing.  Maybe Jordan Love is more the model we should be following, Mahomes sat a year, sitting and developing is a perfectly reasonable idea.

I think we can still pull for the kid and admit he's struggling. Today was brutal, third down conversation rate, turnovers, completion percent, and game management grades out really low.  It's hard to believe we actually had a shot at the end.  We do have talent on this team. Yes, I'd start Flacco and let AR get some first team practice reps all the while work relentlessly on mechanics, accuracy, and knowledge.  We could even put some specific packages in for him so he can taste success. 

This is about how to develop a young QB with significant physical gifts and significant skill gaps.  It's also about the other 52 guys on the active roster...

24 minutes ago, DavePSL said:

I can see Jimmy Now.. Watering the geraniums and on an occasional Tuesday helping unload the truck when a load of hydrangea bushes come in. Yep, ole Jimmy at the Nursery Home living the good life!! :funny::funny:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I don't think it's a bad throw.   It's giving your wr a chance.   But I don't think it's a drop

Body catching versus hands catching can overcome a few drops we had, IMO by attacking the ball 

• Like 1