Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Bad clock management at the end of the game

SC-Coltsfan

This has probably already been mentioned, but maybe not. 

There was 2:01 left in the game and the Bears had one timeout left. I was very surprised we didn't return the kickoff to essentially burn the 2 minute warning timeout that the Bears were then able to use. In the end, we got a first down, so it didn't matter this time. However, had we not gotten the first down, the Bears could have had over a minute to play with opposed to maybe 25 seconds had they only had their one timeout.

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

There was 2:01 left in the game and the Bears had one timeout left. I was very surprised we didn't return the kickoff to essentially burn the 2 minute warning timeout that the Bears were then able to use. In the end, we got a first down, so it didn't matter this time. However, had we not gotten the first down, the Bears could have had over a minute to play with opposed to maybe 25 seconds had they only had their one timeout.

Announcers brought this up as well. Could have easily cost us, and we're lucky it didn't.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah I mentioned it in the other thread but I thought it was one of the worst coaching blunders I have ever seen.  It didn't turn out to cost them but how, as an NFL head coach, can you NOT tell your return guys to field the kick even if it is in the endzone, run out, kill the few seconds it takes to do that, and then slide down before getting hit to avoid a fumble.  I mean this is so so basic.  You would coach that at any high school or college, let alone the pros.   That way even if Chicago stops them and forces a punt, at most they would have maybe 7-10 seconds left after the punt.  I was screaming at the tv to make sure they run the ball out so when he took a knee I just stared in shock. 

When I see things like that I really wonder how it is that certain coaches actually make it to the level that some do.  It was just so utterly stupid.  I hope he gets roasted for this big time.  I have seen lots of red flags from SS this year other than this as well.  He goes for it a lot on 4th or doesn't kick the fg when needed.  Goes for 2 points way too early.  Runs a very simple offense, pretty much Frank Reich 2.0, despite being known as an offensive guru.   Not seeing any progress with AR either.  Also don't like the way that he doesn't seem to get after his players for mistakes that they make.

Last year I was very positive on SS but that optimism is fading fast. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I’m guessing it just got lost in the chaos of the moment (I’m sure the coaching staff were focused way more on keeping the defense from their biggest letdown yet than they were on a kickoff,) but luckily it didn’t cost us. 

I bet that sequence becomes a point of emphasis for the 31 other teams around the league this week, just to say “let’s not make this same mistake if we find ourselves in a similar situation at some point.”

• Like 2

The sequence was kinda funny. So Paye got injured, so they put in Franklin on special teams coverage. He was lined up wrong and when the sideline told him to line up correctly he almost ran off the field. Finally Shane tried to call a timeout but the refs didn’t hear or see him. It was a chaotic mess there lol.

1 hour ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

Coaches mismanage time around the two minute warning all the time. I don't get it. 

In this case, it's possible the Colts prioritized minimizing the risk of a turnover on a kick return, and didn't want a half effort return which would sacrifice field position, which is understandable. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, tweezy32 said:

Paid millions of dollars and cant even handle time management lol. 

Lots of NFL coaches don’t handle clock management well.  Harbaugh was notoriously bad a. Long time ago.   It’s easier if you’re in the booth….  Much harder when you’re on the sidelines.   

3 hours ago, Superman said:

Coaches mismanage time around the two minute warning all the time. I don't get it. 

In this case, it's possible the Colts prioritized minimizing the risk of a turnover on a kick return, and didn't want a half effort return which would sacrifice field position, which is understandable. 

I think you have hit the nail on the head. They would rather put the ball in Taylors hand to get 10 yards from the comfort of the 30 yd line then have the returner get stuffed close to the goal line or worse fumble the ball.

3 minutes ago, New Zealands #1 Colts Fan said:

I think you have hit the nail on the head. They would rather put the ball in Taylors hand to get 10 yards from the comfort of the 30 yd line then have the returner get stuffed close to the goal line or worse fumble the ball.

Pretty hard to get stuffed near the goal line when the defenders can't move from the 40 yd line until after the ball was caught 5 yds deep.  Gould easily could have made it to the 15 or so and slid.

Question is, is one less time out for the Bears worth the extra yards?  I think it is.  Luckily, JT got the first down, anyway.

4 hours ago, JediXMan said:

The sequence was kinda funny. So Paye got injured, so they put in Franklin on special teams coverage. He was lined up wrong and when the sideline told him to line up correctly he almost ran off the field. Finally Shane tried to call a timeout but the refs didn’t hear or see him. It was a chaotic mess there lol.

This right here. They were focused on getting that figured out that they didn’t convey the message to Gould 

I'm guessing field position was more important than the 2 minute warning.   If you think it wasn't talked about you're crazy.  The threat of a turnover or terrible field position had to be talked about.   Plus the Colts were running at will at that point.   Non issue

5 hours ago, SC-Coltsfan said:

I just watched the post game press conference and no one asked Steichen about it. Nuts

I was saying even before the kickoff just return it so the 2-minute warning timeout is off the board. I was like, what are we doing. So far Shane has been sleeping at the wheel.

9 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

I'm guessing field position was more important than the 2 minute warning.   If you think it wasn't talked about you're crazy.  The threat of a turnover or terrible field position had to be talked about.   Plus the Colts were running at will at that point.   Non issue

This could be as well. 

It would seem like the announcers got it wrong?

To my understanding, the two minute warning cannot be "skipped."

I.e. if he took the ball out at 2:01, gets tackled with hypothetically 1:50 left to play, the two minute warning would commence at 1:50 and not "skipped."

Also I noticed there's nothing online that mentions that supposed miscue save for the game announcers and this thread.

I think we have a time management guru that advises on these.situations 

like a 2 point conversion chart, they must have a sheet for all situations  Algorithms, meetings etc . I mean what  else does this person do but evaluate scenarios like this 

everything has a value - return and take chance of fumble, penalty etc to take away 2 minute warning timeout =X

fair catch and get ball at 30 =Y

Coaching staff believed fair catch outweighed timeout option

They have to make a quick decision and this one called for what they executed

we all know if this backfired- Shane would of said It’s on me I have to do better

because thats what coaches do

Publicly mostly everything is a positive spin

I would love to be a fly on the wall Monday thru Saturday and get the real scope And no not the hard knocks version lol

5 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

It would seem like the announcers got it wrong?

To my understanding, the two minute warning cannot be "skipped."

I.e. if he took the ball out at 2:01, gets tackled with hypothetically 1:50 left to play, the two minute warning would commence at 1:50 and not "skipped."

Because there was no return, the Colts ran their first play of the possession before the two minute warning, with 2:01 remaining. The clock stopped after that play, without the Bears using a timeout. So now it's 2nd down, and the Bears still have one timeout.

If the Colts had returned the kick, the two minute warning would have happened before the Colts ran their first play of the possession. The Bears would have had to use their timeout after our first play, and it would have been 2nd down, and they'd have no timeouts.

It wound up being inconsequential, but we basically gave them an extra clock stoppage by taking the touchback.

7 minutes ago, Superman said:

Because there was no return, the Colts ran their first play of the possession before the two minute warning, with 2:01 remaining. The clock stopped after that play, without the Bears using a timeout. So now it's 2nd down, and the Bears still have one timeout.

If the Colts had returned the kick, the two minute warning would have happened before the Colts ran their first play of the possession. The Bears would have had to use their timeout after our first play, and it would have been 2nd down, and they'd have no timeouts.

It wound up being inconsequential, but we basically gave them an extra clock stoppage by taking the touchback.

I see what you're saying.

Basically when the clock goes from 2:01 to 2:00, the TMW activates.

Whereas if Gould ran it out with 1:55 left, the TMW activates PRIOR to the first down play instead of after that play.

Basically think of it like "blue, red, blue" instead of "red, blue, red."

2 minutes ago, rock8591 said:

I see what you're saying.

Basically when the clock goes from 2:01 to 2:00, the TMW activates.

Whereas if Gould ran it out with 1:55 left, the TMW activates PRIOR to the first down play instead of after that play.

Basically like "blue, red, blue" instead of "red, blue, red."

Yup.

I don't know whether the coaching staff decided not to risk it, or if they were unable to get the return team on the same page with all the confusion. Either way, being able to get a first down in a situation like that is a nice test for the offense, one they happened to pass this time.