Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

How to fix the colts

CR91

So this is based on what I've seen from the colts the pass two weeks and what I feel they can do to fix some of the problems their dealing with

1.Stop forcing AR to make passes in the pocket 

I'm sorry, but AR imo just doesn't have the accuracy to sit in the pocket and make throws. Get him outside where teams are forced to come at him because of the fear of him running which then opens up the coverage. It shrinks the field sure, but it also puts the defense in a bind because they have to respect AR's legs.

2.Taylor needs to touch the ball 20-25 times a game 

2 games and Taylor has not touched the ball more then 16 times which is absolutely insane to me given he's your best player. You need to take as much pressure off AR as possible and JT can do that.

3.Give AR easy throws to the TEs

I don't know why the hell the TEs are not getting more involved in the passing game. We need drive starting plays. Not everything needs to be a deep or intermediate play.

4.Defense needs more lane discipline 

I can't count how many times I've seen teams easily move our guys out of the way. No one is holding their ground and on certain cases their just over pursuiting and the RB is already 5 yards down the field.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, CR91 said:

So this is based on what I've seen from the colts the pass two weeks and what I feel they can do to fix some of the problems their dealing with

I'm sorry, but AR imo just doesn't have the accuracy to sit in the pocket and make throws. Get him outside where teams are forced to come at him because of the fear of him running which then opens up the coverage

2 games and Taylor has not touched the ball more then 16 times which is absolutely insane to me given he's your best player. You need to take as much pressure off AR as possible and JT can do that.

I don't know why the hell the TEs are not getting more involved in the passing game. We need drive starting plays. Not everything needs to be a deep or intermediate play.

I can't count how many times I've seen teams easily move our guys out of the way. No one is holding their ground and on certain cases their just over pursuiting and the RB is already 5 yards down the field.

Losses on deck for Carson Beck lol

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I'm sorry, but AR imo just doesn't have the accuracy to sit in the pocket and make throws. Get him outside where teams are forced to come at him because of the fear of him running which then opens up the coverage

We have no quality  tes

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Stephen said:

We have no quality  tes

That doesn't matter. Getting 4-5 yards sitting on the middle of the field is a lot better then throwing a pick trying to hit a dig route on 3rd and 10. Getting into a rhythm is the point

• Like 1

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm guessing you wanted Peyton gone too after his rookie year

Wasn't  a fan back then. Didn't  choose a team til my senior year of highschool as Didn't  have cable much growing up and had to see who I liked.

1 minute ago, Stephen said:

Wasn't  a fan back then. Didn't  choose a team til my senior year of highschool as Didn't  have cable much growing up and had to see who I liked.

So then you don't know that rookies which is what AR basically is struggle and need time and reps

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That doesn't matter. Getting 4-5 yards sitting on the middle of the field is a lot better then throwing a pick trying to hit a dig route on 3rd and 10. Getting into a rhythm is the point

Perhaps  put pittman  where te should be when downs comes back and have ad and pierce on the outside  with downs in the slot. Gotta find some way to get pittman the ball.

• Like 2

Just now, CR91 said:

So then you don't know that rookies which is what AR basically is struggle and need time and reps

I know that. I curious  how patient this organization  will be though. Even Peyton manning  teams don't  let their qbs struggle  much anymore.  They put them out for a few games and if they struggle  they bench them. Like Bryce young  in Carolina.  I'm not understanding  Steichen game plan. Jonathan Taylor  should be run alot more to take the pressure  off Richardson. Even Jim harbaugh is running the football  heavily  to help herbert and he is a vet. We need an answer  at te. Our te production is embarrassing.  Where is pittman? I Thought he is supposed to be a  number 1 wr. Hilton Wayne, and Harrison  showed  up more than him even with less than ideal qb play.

19 minutes ago, Stephen said:

I know that. I curious  how patient this organization  will be though. Even Peyton manning  teams don't  let their qbs struggle  much anymore.  They put them out for a few games and if they struggle  they bench them. Like Bryce young  in Carolina.  I'm not understanding  Steichen game plan. Jonathan Taylor  should be run alot more to take the pressure  off Richardson. Even Jim harbaugh is running the football  heavily  to help herbert and he is a vet. We need an answer  at te. Our te production is embarrassing.  Where is pittman? I Thought he is supposed to be a  number 1 wr. Hilton Wayne, and Harrison  showed  up more than him even with less than ideal qb play.

Well it's a new organization. They have no ties to Bryce. As for Pittman, I'm honestly not sure what's going with him. He's not playing hard like he normally does imo. Hopefully things get going this weekend 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Well it's a new organization. They have no ties to Bryce. As for Pittman, I'm honestly not sure what's going with him. He's not playing hard like he normally does imo. Hopefully things get going this weekend 

That being  said panthers do own their first next year so they can take Ewers or Beckif they are bad enough 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Losses on deck for Carson Beck lol

We have no quality  tes

Carson Beck almost got upset by Kentucky… 

I’m not feeling the upcoming QB draft class as a strong group. Sanders has an attitude problem and comes with baggage and a circus. If we have issues with AR not staying healthy, how can we turn to Ewers, who also has a history of getting knocked out of games already?

1 minute ago, RollerColt said:

Carson Beck almost got upset by Kentucky… 

I’m not feeling the upcoming QB draft class as a strong group. Sanders has an attitude problem and comes with baggage and a circus. If we have issues with AR not staying healthy, how can we turn to Ewers, who also has a history of getting knocked out of games already?

And the panthers will most likely  be picking from that less than stellar crop.

Just now, Mitch Connors said:

I dont proclaim to know the specific fixes but I would hope we try something different on defense. Clearly what we're doing isn't working and Buckner being out wont make a bad situation better.  

Yeah. We absolutely have to do something different with our linebackers. Our two safeties should not be leading the team in tackles.

• Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He’s not playing hard?!?   

The next time Michael Pittman doesn’t play hard will officially be the first. 

Dear God…..   :facepalm:

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

I'm guessing you wanted Peyton gone too after his rookie year

Peyton had years of tape from college showing that he could make all of the passes and process the game. AR has none of that.  Big difference.   Back in Peyton's day (when he was in college/starting out in the NFL), no one would have drafted AR before the 5th or 6th round, if he came out...but more likely than not, he would have stayed in school long enough  to know if he would likely be an NFL QB or not

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Why don't we trade for Mac Jones who's the back-up for Jacksonville. I realized he's a pocket passer, but he's still young, accurate passer, and can run if need be. Use him as a stop gap right now, while AR can sit and watch and develop.  Just a thought.

9 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not playing hard?!?   

I guess you haven't watched J.T. O'Sullivan's breaking down Anthony Richardson's game tape. That's likely where the Pittman is lazy sometimes commentary is coming from. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He’s not playing hard?!?   

I'm just saying Pittman is not showing the same effort we're use to seeing. The 41 yard td in the Packers game, he didn't even try to get the ball

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

Peyton had years of tape from college showing that he could make all of the passes and process the game. AR has none of that.  Big difference.   Back in Peyton's day (when he was in college/starting out in the NFL), no one would have drafted AR before the 5th or 6th round, if he came out...but more likely than not, he would have stayed in school long enough  to know if he would likely be an NFL QB or not

That was a reference to rookie struggles. I was not comparing Peyton to AR

Just now, CR91 said:

I'm just saying Pittman is not showing the same effort we're use to seeing. The 41 yard td in the Packers game, he didn't even try to get the ball

I have thought Pittman has loafed more this year, also... and I know Mitchell is a rookie, but he has loafed and not run full speed on several plays!

• Like 1

Just now, CR91 said:

That was a reference to rookie struggles. I was not comparing Peyton to AR

True... I'm just pointing out that with Peyton/Luck etc, you had plenty to see from their years in college to know there was a HIGH chance they would succeed in the NFL...so comparing Peyton's rookie year to AR now is not the same at all...AR has very little tape from college and what he does, is not good.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, coltsblue1844 said:

True... I'm just pointing out that with Peyton/Luck etc, you had plenty to see from their years in college to know there was a HIGH chance they would succeed in the NFL...so comparing Peyton's rookie year to AR now is not the same at all...AR has very little tape from college and what he does, is not good.

Yes I get that Peyton and Luck were more accomplished coming into the NFL. That was not the point I was making. I was just saying rookies struggle. The poster was already putting up a banner for Carson Beck after AR's 6th game of his career

Anthony better learn to throw from the pocket. They don’t want to run him because he’ll crumble like last season. Defense will kill him outside the pocket. Kid needs time to learn or….

Get rid of Ballard, blow the roster up, and rebuild again. Should’ve happened two season ago. We’ve passed the window when our defense was actually good. Nelson, Taylor, and Buckner are the only elite players we have. The rest are okay to straight mid players

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, a06cc said:

Anthony better learn to throw from the pocket. They don’t want to run him because he’ll crumble like last season. Defense will kill him outside the pocket. Kid needs time to learn or….

Get rid of Ballard, blow the roster up, and rebuild again. Should’ve happened two season ago. We’ve passed the window when our defense was actually good. Nelson, Taylor, and Buckner are the only elite players we have. The rest are okay to straight mid players

Thank you. That was very insightful 🙄🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stephen said:

I hope it never comes to a point where they bench Richardson. I beleive they are giving him the year to both succeed and fail. Have u ever seen a young qb benched and then come back and excell? I thinking benching of any qb usually leads to the end.

7 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I hope it never comes to a point where they bench Richardson. I beleive they are giving him the year to both succeed and fail. Have u ever seen a young qb benched and then come back and excell? I thinking benching of any qb usually leads to the end.

Alex Smith? Ryan Tannehill? Only ones I can think of. Terry Bradshaw was benched a bunch of times 

2 hours ago, Mitch Connors said:

I dont proclaim to know the specific fixes but I would hope we try something different on defense. Clearly what we're doing isn't working and Buckner being out wont make a bad situation better.  

The Gus Bradley experiment is a failure. It's a 2 cent strategy against $100 offenses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CR91 said:

Thank you. That was very insightful 🙄🤦‍♂️

Yeah like you post you made 🤣 You want our QB to run when he gets hurt. You also don’t want him to throw from the pocket in which that’s a QB’s job. Yeah you made such an insightful post…. 😭😭😭

Everyone give CR91 around of applause of an “insightful” post 🤣